News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Stereotypes in your area

Started by webny99, May 06, 2018, 04:14:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cjk374

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 12, 2018, 08:41:52 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on May 12, 2018, 04:46:15 PM
When I was a senior in high school (1992), I went to Washington, DC for National Young Leaders Conference. We learned how Congress passed/failed bills.

There were 360+ high school kids from across the country. When the kids in my group found out I was from Louisiana, the crazy questions started to fly:

Don't lie. I saw your pet gators during the LA meet. :D

Yep...their names are Boudreaux & Thibodeaux.  :-D
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

roadman65

New Jersey would get stereotyped as having few exits on its numbered exit freeways in that joke "What exit number?" 

BTW I once stunned someone when I answered it as Exit 135 (which was my exit on the Parkway when I lived there) and he almost did not believe me that we have exit numbers in the 3 digits.   Of course we have them on the Parkway up to 171 and if one wants to get technical we can say the exit on I-76 for NJ 76C is got one in the 300's thanks to the Delaware River Port Authority using PA mileage along I-76, but it not within NJ travel though.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

paulthemapguy

Quote from: cjk374 on May 12, 2018, 10:21:13 PM
When I was a senior in high school (1992), I went to Washington, DC for National Young Leaders Conference. We learned how Congress passed/failed bills.

There were 360+ high school kids from across the country. When the kids in my group found out I was from Louisiana, the crazy questions started to fly:

Louisiana should have a text mod that auto-corrects any instance of the letter 'o' or 'ou' to 'eaux'.  :-D

Sorry, I meant "Leauxisiana"  :biggrin:
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

cjk374

Quote from: paulthemapguy on May 16, 2018, 01:17:42 PM
Quote from: cjk374 on May 12, 2018, 10:21:13 PM

Louisiana should have a text mod that auto-corrects any instance of the letter 'o' or 'ou' to 'eaux'.  :-D

Sorry, I meant "Leauxisiana"  :biggrin:

That sounds awesome!
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Scott5114

Quote from: bugo on May 08, 2018, 07:51:04 PM
Oklahoma: flat (only part of the state is flat), wastelands (the state is very diverse geographically), toll roads (true), bad signage (partially true), bad roads (partially true), Native Americans (partially true), rednecks (true), pickup trucks (true), rodeos (true), earthquakes caused by fracking-related wastewater injection (very true), tornadoes (extremely true).

In the OKC metro:
NW OKC: suburban hell
Nichols Hills: the 1%
Edmond: suburban hell, but with people who think they're the 1%: soulless, conformist, anything remotely interesting is stamped out
Moore: Tornado bait, if you don't like your house just wait a year and wait for the insurance check to rebuild it
West Norman: Rich folks that just sleep in Norman and spend all their time in OKC otherwise
East Norman: Hippies, college kids, i.e. the goddamn liberals
Goldsby: You mean Norman, right?
Southside OKC: ¿Tienes muchos panqueques en tu mochila?
Del City: Don't go here or you'll die
Midwest City: You must have at least this many stripes on your sleeve to enter
Yukon: Where the people who are too quirky to live in Edmond, but not enough to live in Norman go
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Judgmental Map for Wichita

Traditionally--and this is reflected to an extent in the Judgmental Map--Wichita has had an east-west divide where the west has a lower income Gini coefficient than the east (middle incomes generally on the west side; extreme poverty and extreme wealth on the east side).  However, ZIP code 67205 on the west side now functions essentially as an outpost of rich east Wichita.  And in some respects east versus west is eclipsed by a north-south gap.  While the north has some economically stressed areas, including the traditional black part of town (bounded by Washington, Oliver, Central, and 29th) and the Hispanic part of town (generally near northwest with 25th and Arkansas at the heart), most people from white-collar backgrounds with middle incomes and higher live north of Douglas, while the south side is usually thought of as the home of blue-collar workers.  South Broadway (former US 81) is motel row and traditionally associated with prostitution.  It is also full of used-car lots, many of which engage in shady practices such as advertising cars in the private-sale section of Craigslist, as well as the only auto auction house locally that allows members of the public to come in and bid.

Among older Wichitans, there is a mental divide between people whose families are from Wichita or moved there from elsewhere in Kansas and people who moved in from Oklahoma or Arkansas to work in the aircraft plants during the 1940's and 1950's.  This is often telegraphed through statements such as "X is a fourth-generation Sedgwick Countian."

When the original redlining maps were drawn up in the 1930's, Wichita ended up with some areas that were redlined because they were majority black (per the norm elsewhere in the country), as well as others that were redlined because they were occupied primarily by retired farmers, who in Kansas were generally of white European descent.

Per a Wichita Eagle report several years ago, ZIP code 67212 has the lowest infant mortality in Kansas while ZIP code 67218 has the highest.  I was born and raised in 67212 and went to school in 67218.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.