News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

How would you rate yourself as a driver?

Started by ParrDa, September 05, 2017, 08:59:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bing101

Quote from: Rothman on September 15, 2022, 02:24:17 PM
Everyone thinks they're the best driver on the road...but that's impossible in reality.
Ok I am 6 to 7 depending on the conditions. But I quit driving for sometime and it might be lower than that now. I used to know how to respond to driving in the rain but that's been gone for a few years due to the pandemic scare reasons.

bing101

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 14, 2022, 03:19:10 PM
I guess we'll find out in Maui next week.  All that one lane mountain stuff I do locally apparently will come in handy.
Yes Road to Hana will really test your driving skills and it's Hawaii's answer to Pacific Coast Highway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: bing101 on September 18, 2022, 03:30:42 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 14, 2022, 03:19:10 PM
I guess we'll find out in Maui next week.  All that one lane mountain stuff I do locally apparently will come in handy.
Yes Road to Hana will really test your driving skills and it's Hawaii's answer to Pacific Coast Highway.

We'll see, I have my doubts it will outclass the Nacimiento-Ferguson Road.  It's unclear if I'll have a chance at Piilani Highway, that seems to be more what I'm used to.

thspfc

In this thread: people who either a) think that 7/10 is average, or b) don't understand how the vast majority of people, likely themselves included, are simply average drivers.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on September 18, 2022, 05:31:38 PM
In this thread: people who either a) think that 7/10 is average, or b) don't understand how the vast majority of people, likely themselves included, are simply average drivers.

What makes someone better than average? It's a good question, not as easy to answer as you'd think.

I think a list would include things like situational awareness and habits that are largely supported by most roadgeeks, like KRETP. So, I get that everyone can't be above average, but also recognize that people here tend to be more invested in driving than elsewhere, even if only as a leisure activity, so it would tend to follow that they would also be better at it.

epzik8

My dad taught me the most important piece of information I've learned as a driver, which he himself learned from my grandfather: "When in doubt, yield." That means if it's unclear whether me or someone else should have the right-of-way at a four-way stop or roundabout for example, out of courtesy I should (and usually do) give the other driver precedence over me.

On a multi-lane highway, I always make sure to only switch lanes on a broken line, and not a solid one. I always signal when I turn too. My weaknesses are that sometimes I tailgate slow drivers in front of me, and am guilty of adding 5-10 MPH to every speed limit.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

kphoger

Quote from: kphoger on September 15, 2022, 02:03:53 PM

:cheers: – I'm fine when I'm sober, but I'm not always sober.

I just remembered this gem:

Quote from: Alps on August 29, 2012, 12:28:43 AM
I drive better after 3 drinks than on 0 - less aggressive and smoother.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.