News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Former names you use without meaning to

Started by Pete from Boston, February 26, 2015, 01:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry

Quote from: Pete from Boston on May 13, 2016, 01:07:25 AM
I grappled for a minute today to not say "McNeil Lehrer" when talking about the news on PBS.
Same goes for the Big Three evening news: Tom Brokaw for NBC, Dan Rather for CBS and Peter Jennings for ABC. IIRC, Brokaw is retired, Rather got fired and Jennings is dead.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kkt

Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2016, 11:07:49 AM
I grappled for a minute today to not say "McNeil Lehrer" when talking about the news on PBS.
Same goes for the Big Three evening news: Tom Brokaw for NBC, Dan Rather for CBS and Peter Jennings for ABC. IIRC, Brokaw is retired, Rather got fired and Jennings is dead.

Walter Cronkite.  Oh, yeah, dead too.

english si

Quote from: cl94 on May 12, 2016, 08:37:47 PMOf course, Manchester is officially "Manchester-Boston", even though it's an hour away from Boston. Some idiot might assume that.
Only an hour away - that's close!

London Manston Airport was a good 90 minutes away. London Oxford Airport is a little bit closer, but still over 80 minutes. London Southend (which is a bit more credible) is 53 minutes away, Stansted (London's third Airport) is 45 minutes away from the city centre.

CNGL-Leudimin

The champion at that is Paris Vatry airport (over 125 miles and 2 hours away from Paris). Frankfurt Hahn is also far from Frankfurt (just over 100 miles, which takes 1 1/2 hours).
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

Pete from Boston

Quote from: Henry on May 13, 2016, 11:07:49 AM

I guess I never referred to them as the name of the broadcast.  The McNeil Lehrer Newshour had a gradual evolution – first becoming The Newshour with Jim Lehrer, then just PBS Newshour.   But it was officially the former much longer than either of the others.

roadman65

How many use Leno, Carson, and Jummy Fallon to name the tonight show?  In fact Antenna TV uses Johnny Carson to name the syndicated reruns each night.   However, that might be because NBC owns the name, and part of the deal is to use another name for airing old reruns.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vtk

Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2016, 08:24:50 AM
How many use Leno, Carson, and Jummy Fallon to name the tonight show?  In fact Antenna TV uses Johnny Carson to name the syndicated reruns each night.   However, that might be because NBC owns the name, and part of the deal is to use another name for airing old reruns.

Back before the whole Jay/Conan fiasco, I referred to the Tonight Show as "Leno" all the time.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

mrsman

Quote from: vtk on May 15, 2016, 02:25:23 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on May 14, 2016, 08:24:50 AM

Back before the whole Jay/Conan fiasco, I referred to the Tonight Show as "Leno" all the time.

Most TV listings that I see, especially in grid form, list the last name of the host as the name of the show.

formulanone

Quote from: english si on May 13, 2016, 04:37:46 PM
...Stansted (London's third Airport) is 45 minutes away from the city centre.

Hmmm...a "no-traffic" 45 minutes, or typical "rush-hour" 45 minutes? Three-quarters of an hour isn't too bad a commute to a secondary airport. In some cases, I'm okay with 90 minutes if it's a more enjoyable experience or beneficial (although, usually ties back to roading and seeing the sights).

I'd guess that probably 75% of folks in the US are within 15-60 minutes of the nearest airport with commercial service.

Edit: good guess.

hbelkins

This floated across my Facebook feed yesterday.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that it has been renamed, Dnipropetrovsk.
Quote from: formulanone on May 17, 2016, 09:40:53 AM

I don't want to click that link.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

english si

Quote from: english si on May 13, 2016, 04:37:46 PM
...Stansted (London's third Airport) is 45 minutes away from the city centre.

Hmmm...a "no-traffic" 45 minutes, or typical "rush-hour" 45 minutes?
A 'no traffic' 45 minutes (it's doable now at 1am, but wouldn't be during non-late night hours) to the nearest bit of Central London. I'm surprised it was that good - that's the same as the 'express' train that I used, assuming (as it is the case for nearly all journeys into the centre of London) that it would be slower by road.
QuoteThree-quarters of an hour isn't too bad a commute to a secondary airport.
Sure, though this isn't a small airport - it has more passengers per year than Berlin's main one and is the 25th busiest in Europe (and would rank 21st in the US, ahead of BWI), though it's not as if there aren't two closer and bigger airports to Central London. The issue was airports a long way from the city they are named for, and this wasn't the worst one for London.

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: hbelkins on May 18, 2016, 11:04:28 PM
This floated across my Facebook feed yesterday.

I'm waiting for one with John Adams that says "Take down those 128 signs, and we'll dump the 95 signs in Boston Harbor"
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

formulanone

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 12, 2016, 06:17:08 PM

I don't want to click that link.

Don't confuse my stupidity with malice.

roadman65

The Citrus Bowl in Florida for one.  It has a new name, that I could care less about, and to me it was always "The Toilet Bowl" as it was always a burden on our city for years.

IMO it should have been leveled with a new stadium built in a more accessible area convenient to the city's highway network instead of the area its in now, where it is now only near FL 408, which is on everyone's boycott list due to the tolls on it.  Plus 408 is in only good if you are living east or west of town, which is really the reason.  Plus the new Soccer Stadium is only blocks away, so why do you need two stadiums anyhow?

If the old stadium did at least bring in some revenue then maybe even a new replacement should be built. Anyway, enough being carried off.

I most likely will call our highest peak Mount McKinnley as such, not because it was proposed by a president I cannot wait till he is out of office, because its just hard to say Denali even though that it was for ages prior to whenever it was renamed.  Plus I find no reason to rename something as we did discuss this in another thread earlier this year or late last year.   I may get used to it over time, but to all my friends and family we hardly ever discuss that particular peak, so it may never get to that point of adjusting to it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Takumi

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 12, 2016, 06:17:08 PM
Or Kiev instead of Kyiv.

Side note: Ukrainian isn't the easiest language to learn.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: roadman65 on July 07, 2016, 01:36:26 PM
The Citrus Bowl in Florida for one.  It has a new name, that I could care less about, and to me it was always "The Toilet Bowl" as it was always a burden on our city for years.

IMO it should have been leveled with a new stadium built in a more accessible area convenient to the city's highway network instead of the area its in now, where it is now only near FL 408, which is on everyone's boycott list due to the tolls on it.  Plus 408 is in only good if you are living east or west of town, which is really the reason.  Plus the new Soccer Stadium is only blocks away, so why do you need two stadiums anyhow?

If the old stadium did at least bring in some revenue then maybe even a new replacement should be built. Anyway, enough being carried off.

I most likely will call our highest peak Mount McKinnley as such, not because it was proposed by a president I cannot wait till he is out of office, because its just hard to say Denali even though that it was for ages prior to whenever it was renamed.  Plus I find no reason to rename something as we did discuss this in another thread earlier this year or late last year.   I may get used to it over time, but to all my friends and family we hardly ever discuss that particular peak, so it may never get to that point of adjusting to it.

Not to mention the Orange Bowl is just on the outskirts of the Parramore neighborhood which has never been the best.  A lot of the reputation OBT has comes exclusively from that area of the city...it is about as it gets in Orlando.  They should have just made the new soccer stadium 60,000 seats and called it a day for multipurpose sports.  I think that the city was going with the angle of the Orange Bowl being a historic structure but then they go and rename it something stupid like "Camping World Stadium" and rip up Tinker Field to build a parking lot.

inkyatari

Every now and then I find myself using the names "Macy's" and "Willis Tower" by mistake.
I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

planxtymcgillicuddy

I still refer to IndyCar as the IRL at times. Ditto for the Xfinity series.....I still catch myself calling it the Nationwide series from time to time
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: planxtymcgillicuddy on June 06, 2020, 01:38:35 PM
I still refer to IndyCar as the IRL at times. Ditto for the Xfinity series.....I still catch myself calling it the Nationwide series from time to time

Most of us still call the main NASCAR series the Winston Cup.

Some that I do (sports and non-sports):

Travelers Championship: GHO
Macy's: Filene's or G Fox
XL Center: The (Hartford) Civic Center
MetLife Stadium: Giants Stadium (although it's a new building)
XFinity Center: The Meadows (Hartford) Great Woods (Mansfield, MA)
Six Flags New England: Riverside (Park)
Westfield Meriden (soon to be Meriden Mall, but not to be confused with another long gone mall with the same name): Meriden Square
CT 322 between I-84 and I-691, and I-691 itself east of Exit 4: Route 66
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ozarkman417

zzcarp

We still refer to US 36 as the Boulder Turnpike here in Denver, even though they stopped collecting tolls in 1967 (current HOT lanes excepted) and is officially named "Buffalo Highway" in honor of the University of Colorado mascot.
So many miles and so many roads

CNGL-Leudimin

Now that this has been resurrected, let me introduce: Belgian Congo. Having two countries with the same shorthand name (Congo) right next to each other is quite confusing, so I use "plain" Congo for the smaller Republic of the Congo, and for the larger Democratic Republic of the Congo I use its former colonial name. Okay, I could have gone by its former name Zaire, but that doesn't include "Congo".

1995hoo

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on June 06, 2020, 03:43:02 PM
Now that this has been resurrected, let me introduce: Belgian Congo. Having two countries with the same shorthand name (Congo) right next to each other is quite confusing, so I use "plain" Congo for the smaller Republic of the Congo, and for the larger Democratic Republic of the Congo I use its former colonial name. Okay, I could have gone by its former name Zaire, but that doesn't include "Congo".

I find it very confusing that some American newspapers simply say "Congo" without giving any indication which one they mean. I suspect the Associated Press probably has some incorrect guideline saying that one of them is just plain "Congo" and the reader is supposed to know what the AP thinks is right.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.