News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Madison Area

Started by peterj920, February 24, 2019, 09:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 30, 2023, 02:32:48 PM
I highly doubt US 151 will be rerouted within the Madison area. There really is no need to. Utilizing US 12/18 and Interstates 39/90/94 is sufficient to make an all-freeway journey around the Madison area without rerouting the US 151 designation.

If US 151 remained within the City of Madison, it would make more sense to route it along John Nolen Dr to The Beltline. Once it travels on Proudfit, W Washington, and Park St, the route isn't the most direct route to anywhere. Even on Park St. Fish Hatchery Rd is the quicker route to rejoin The Beltline heading southwest or Northeast.

GeekJedi

Quote from: GeekJedi on May 28, 2023, 02:12:12 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on May 27, 2023, 01:28:42 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on May 27, 2023, 07:09:01 AM

Received an email today saying that WIDOT is considering moving US-151 onto the interstate and the Beltline as part of this project.

I've always thought that the route from the freeway to the capital should be "WI-1". Yes, I know it breaks the rules, and it doesn't really matter - I just think it would be cool!

No words on any potential number for the 'old' road, I assume (ie, 'WI 251', 'WI 451','BR US 151', etc).  I would support this proposal, too, BTW.

Mike

Boy, did I mess up my formatting!

What my post originally said was that I wouldn't be against revising the legislation and allowing the highway to the Capitol be renamed "WI-1" if 151 was moved. Just my $.02 (and bordering on fictional).
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

SSOWorld

Quote from: GeekJedi on June 03, 2023, 08:39:26 PM

Received an email today saying that WIDOT is considering moving US-151 onto the interstate and the Beltline as part of this project.

I've always thought that the route from the freeway to the capital should be "WI-1". Yes, I know it breaks the rules, and it doesn't really matter - I just think it would be cool!

No words on any potential number for the 'old' road, I assume (ie, 'WI 251', 'WI 451','BR US 151', etc).  I would support this proposal, too, BTW.

Mike

What my post originally said was that I wouldn't be against revising the legislation and allowing the highway to the Capitol be renamed "WI-1" if 151 was moved. Just my $.02 (and bordering on fictional).
But WI does not go below 10.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

mgk920

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 03, 2023, 10:24:03 PM

Mike

US 2 and US 8?   I can see the legislature trying 'WI 1' (no federal rules against that).

Mike

Molandfreak

Never understood why there are no single-digit state highways in WI. If they wanted every community to be equal, they really should've started numbering at 100 and tried their best to opt out of the US highway system.

If any community is worthy of "highway 1,"  Madison is it.
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

SSOWorld

Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2023, 11:24:48 PM

Mike

US 2 and US 8?   I can see the legislature trying 'WI 1' (no federal rules against that).

Mike
WI couldn't deny the use of those, not in the state system per se. (one level above it)
Scott O.

Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
Raise your what?

Molandfreak

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 04, 2023, 05:26:15 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on June 03, 2023, 11:24:48 PM

Mike

Mike
WI couldn't deny the use of those, not in the state system per se. (one level above it)
But the fact that they do exist means that there is no longer any reason to continue the practice of avoiding single-digit highways. "Community equality"  was impossible after 1926.
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

The Ghostbuster

This page should give some insight on why no State Highway is lower than 10 (excluding US 2 and US 8): http://wisconsinhighways.org/indepth/first_memo.html.

mgk920

Nearby, IL 1 does not enter Springfield.  It starts on the far south side of Chicago and runs southward for nearly the rest of the length of the state through mostly rural land not far from the Indiana state line.

Mike

Molandfreak

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 04, 2023, 12:27:01 PM
This page should give some insight on why no State Highway is lower than 10 (excluding US 2 and US 8): http://wisconsinhighways.org/indepth/first_memo.html.
Exactly, it's an outdated practice that was made hilarious as soon as the US Highway system was established. Why, again, can the status quo never change?

Who in 2023 would be upset if WIS 1 was established in Madison?

skluth

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 04, 2023, 07:20:38 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on June 04, 2023, 12:27:01 PM
Exactly, it's an outdated practice that was made hilarious as soon as the US Highway system was established. Why, again, can the status quo never change?

Who in 2023 would be upset if WIS 1 was established in Madison?

In today's political climate, some idiot would make a major issue out of it. I have no idea how or why, but considering the crazy crap that counts for being offended these days (like showing Michelangelo's statue of David to a high school class) I just don't think it's worth the effort.

triplemultiplex

Well I think it's a bit of a moot point to invoke a single digit number since Wisconsin has a few 2 digits laying around unused currently like 62 or 99.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Big John

Quote from: triplemultiplex on June 05, 2023, 11:16:11 AM
Well I think it's a bit of a moot point to invoke a single digit number since Wisconsin has a few 2 digits laying around unused currently like 62 or 99.
plus 74 and 84.

The Ghostbuster

Plus, there are plenty of three-digit numbers that could be used again, at least for shorter routes.

SEWIGuy

I also think the "honor" of having a single digit route meant a lot more when the system was introduced over 100 years ago. I doubt many would care now.

hobsini2

If it was up to me, the single digit numbers would have been placed on the state highways that are considered the backbone to the system at least in some parts of the current highway. Wis 29 from Prescott to Kewaunee with Elk Mound to Green Bay being a major player. Wis 35 from Dubuque to Superior with Dubuque to Hudson being important. Wis 21 from Sparta to Oshkosh with Tomah to Oshkosh being important. And so on. This would not replace any of the US Highways or Interstates.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

invincor

I've wondered also if the state highways that are at least 4-lane could be given a different color shield, just to denote their expressway status.  Same shape, but something other than white.

Molandfreak

Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 05, 2023, 12:23:44 PM
I also think the "honor" of having a single digit route meant a lot more when the system was introduced over 100 years ago. I doubt many would care now.
Has anyone found evidence that a single digit state highway anywhere in the country caused a public outcry? It seems like they were trying to prevent a completely imaginary scenario.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Molandfreak on June 05, 2023, 05:47:38 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on June 05, 2023, 12:23:44 PM
Has anyone found evidence that a single digit state highway anywhere in the country caused a public outcry? It seems like they were trying to prevent a completely imaginary scenario.

It was imaginary, or a better word would be hypothetical, since Wisconsin was the first to number highways.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: invincor on June 05, 2023, 02:50:34 PM
I've wondered also if the state highways that are at least 4-lane could be given a different color shield, just to denote their expressway status.  Same shape, but something other than white.

I have thought the same...especially with WI-29.

SSOWorld

Keep in mind, that when a highway designation is made, there must be compensation by either removing or reducing another one.
Scott O.

Raise your what?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: SSOWorld on June 06, 2023, 07:05:39 AM
Keep in mind, that when a highway designation is made, there must be compensation by either removing or reducing another one.

In the hypothetical we are talking about, if US-151 is routed over the interstate and the Beltline, and WI-1 (or whatever) replaces it on the city streets, there is a net gain of zero miles.

If they use John Nolen Drive for WI-1 to get to the Beltline instead of US-151's current routing west of downtown, there would actually be a net reduction in miles.

hobsini2

I always thought that was a dumb rule.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

skluth

Quote from: hobsini2 on June 06, 2023, 10:32:56 AM

I agree it's a dumb rule. Unfortunately, it's probably needed because otherwise the state's supported highway mileage would have ballooned out of control because legislators like nothing better than getting the state to pay for their districts' road projects.

hobsini2

Quote from: skluth on June 06, 2023, 01:19:37 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on June 06, 2023, 10:32:56 AM

I agree it's a dumb rule. Unfortunately, it's probably needed because otherwise the state's supported highway mileage would have ballooned out of control because legislators like nothing better than getting the state to pay for their districts' road projects.

The highways are run through legislation and voted on before they become reality. Correct?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.