News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Hockey

Started by BigMattFromTexas, March 15, 2010, 08:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

Quote from: ET21 on May 30, 2023, 09:35:23 AM
Panthers/Knights for the Cup Final

Either way, there will be a new Stanley Cup champion.

epzik8

Vegas saw Holtby's save in 2018 and said we want to do it too.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Henry

The Panthers are no match for the Golden Knights, who lead the series 2-0. If Vegas wins the Cup, they're probably going to be the fastest team to do it. Five years ago, they fell just short against the Capitals, and have been using it as motivation ever since.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

texaskdog

Quote from: Henry on May 18, 2023, 10:03:11 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on May 17, 2023, 10:34:57 AM
Largest metro areas not in Eastern Time Zone that don't already have a team:

Houston
San Diego
Portland
San Antonio
Kansas City
Austin

I'm not sure an NHL team works in any of those places. Houston is probably the best shot.
Kansas City had the Scouts (became the Colorado Rockies, then the New Jersey Devils), and needless to say, it didn't work out for them. And besides, it is more focused on landing an NBA team. Out of all the other cities mentioned above, I say Houston is the most ideal spot for an NHL franchise, and given the arena woes in the Phoenix area, don't be surprised if the Coyotes announce their relocation to Space City.

Look at Dallas, for example: When the former Minnesota North Stars moved there 30 years ago, many people said that it wouldn't work there. But the Stars won a Stanley Cup in six years, and they've managed to carve out a nice fanbase to balance out with that of the NBA Mavericks...and as for Minnesota, it has the Wild, so something good came out of this. So Houston has a good chance of replicating Dallas' good fortune.

Austin would be better than Houston.  Austin is full of midwestern transplants and the Texas Stars draw well, while Houston's AHL team didn't.

epzik8

Quote from: Henry on June 05, 2023, 11:08:14 PM
The Panthers are no match for the Golden Knights, who lead the series 2-0. If Vegas wins the Cup, they're probably going to be the fastest team to do it. Five years ago, they fell just short against the Capitals, and have been using it as motivation ever since.

Yep, they definitely took Herbert's save personally.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

Ted$8roadFan

Congrats to the Las Vegas Golden Knights and Coach Bruce Cassidy for sewing up what I think is their first major league championship (next to the WNBA's Aces). And for Boston sports fans, our long national nightmare continues.

1995hoo

Meanwhile, hockey continues tomorrow night with Game 4 of the AHL's Calder Cup Finals!
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Henry

Congratulations to the Vegas Golden Knights on winning their first-ever Stanley Cup! I think this is the first time since 2019 that we've seen first-time champions in both the NHL and the NBA.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

1995hoo

The third period tonight felt like sudden death. Headed to overtime tied at zero. I don't remember the last time I saw a playoff game head to overtime as a scoreless tie.

1995hoo

Hockey season ends on a VERY positive note! (Damn 10:00 starts. I didn't even make it through the first period last night before falling asleep.)

ET21

24 hrs until the NHL Draft!
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

gonealookin

Lake Tahoe gets an ECHL expansion franchise, to begin play in the 2024-2025 season in the new arena at Stateline, NV adjacent to Bally's Lake Tahoe.  Tim Tebow is the face of the ownership group.

https://thehockeynews.com/news/former-nfl-qb-tim-tebow-to-co-own-new-echl-team-in-lake-tahoe

Even for the lower-level ECHL we are an extremely small market, with probably only about 30,000 residents in the South Shore area (and that drops some in the winter).  If you want to expand the radius to a 45-minute drive there are a little over 100,000 people in that area, counting Carson City, Minden and Gardnerville.  I don't know how much an ECHL team could draw from Reno which is an hour away in good weather, and sometimes a tough drive on winter nights.  So this team will be very heavily reliant on Tahoe visitors to fill the arena's seats; it will be interesting to see if they can succeed with that model.

Stephane Dumas

ET21

NHL reg season begins in 3 weeks!

Clinched:

tmoore952

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on June 14, 2023, 05:25:35 AM
Congrats to the Las Vegas Golden Knights and Coach Bruce Cassidy for sewing up what I think is their first major league championship (next to the WNBA's Aces). And for Boston sports fans, our long national nightmare continues.

I didn't register for this website until two weeks ago. Hence, reading this thread and these posts for the first time.

Boston's long national nightmare? At least you have won a Stanley Cup in this century. I have yet to see the Flyers win one. 0 for 6 in the Finals for me (I was too young for 1974 and 1975, although I vaguely remember the post-championship celebrations). I am aware that Boston went 0 for something (six?) between about 1972 and 2012.

I came on here to say -- I watched a preseason NHL game last night. To me that means that summer is definitely over (and since we are now past the autumnal equinox that is another reason to say that).

tmoore952

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 22, 2023, 07:58:16 AM
Hockey season ends on a VERY positive note! (Damn 10:00 starts. I didn't even make it through the first period last night before falling asleep.)

I did watch the end of that game (where Hershey won the Calder Cup). But only after falling asleep until midnight. I didn't plan it that way.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: tmoore952 on September 29, 2023, 05:43:28 PM

I didn't register for this website until two weeks ago. Hence, reading this thread and these posts for the first time.

Boston's long national nightmare? At least you have won a Stanley Cup in this century. I have yet to see the Flyers win one. 0 for 6 in the Finals for me (I was too young for 1974 and 1975, although I vaguely remember the post-championship celebrations). I am aware that Boston went 0 for something (six?) between about 1972 and 2012.

And if that could cheer him up, Toronto still wait its first championship since the NHL expansion of 1967 while Vancouver and Buffalo still wait for their very first Stanley Cup championship.

KeithE4Phx

Diamond Sports has dropped the Phoenix Coyotes, effective October 1, and the Bally Sports Arizona network was shut down Wednesday.  The Coyotes have signed with Scripps' KNXV-TV in Phoenix, who will air 81 of the 82 games on Channel 15.2 (the other one is a national game on ESPN+).  They will also air in Tucson on KGUN-TV/9.2 and two stations in Salt Lake City.

https://www.abc15.com/sports/abc15-and-scripps-sports-become-official-broadcast-partner-of-the-arizona-coyotes
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

rickmastfan67

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 05, 2023, 08:45:52 PM
Diamond Sports has dropped the Phoenix Coyotes, effective October 1, and the Bally Sports Arizona network was shut down Wednesday.  The Coyotes have signed with Scripps' KNXV-TV in Phoenix, who will air 81 of the 82 games on Channel 15.2 (the other one is a national game on ESPN+).  They will also air in Tucson on KGUN-TV/9.2 and two stations in Salt Lake City.

https://www.abc15.com/sports/abc15-and-scripps-sports-become-official-broadcast-partner-of-the-arizona-coyotes

Man, if other NHL teams could do that over-the-air too...  I'd kill to be able to watch Pens games every once in awhile, instead of being restricted to only the Nationally broadcasted ones that are over-the-air since I don't have cable.

Billy F 1988

I've seen that Scripps' Montana Television Network (MTN) is ready to air Vegas Golden Knights games on all dot 2 subchannels across Montana. That's pretty neat on paper, but, it'd be even more neat to see at least a snipid of the coverage in action just to get an idea as to how they will fare.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

KeithE4Phx

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on October 05, 2023, 09:36:14 PM
Diamond Sports has dropped the Phoenix Arizona Coyotes, effective October 1, and the Bally Sports Arizona network was shut down Wednesday.  The Coyotes have signed with Scripps' KNXV-TV in Phoenix, who will air 81 of the 82 games on Channel 15.2 (the other one is a national game on ESPN+).  They will also air in Tucson on KGUN-TV/9.2 and two stations in Salt Lake City.

Man, if other NHL teams could do that over-the-air too...  I'd kill to be able to watch Pens games every once in awhile, instead of being restricted to only the Nationally broadcasted ones that are over-the-air since I don't have cable.

Fixed.  They've been the Arizona Coyotes for several years now.  Old habits are hard to break.  :pan:
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

brad2971

The Vegas Golden Knights have a similar deal with Scripps Sports and a local Scripps-owned station: https://scripps.com/press-releases/vegas-golden-knights-and-scripps-partner-on-multi-year-agreement-to-air-nhl-teams-games/.

Not to mention, the Utah Jazz have a broadcast deal with former team-owned KJZZ channel 14 (now owned by, ironically, Sinclair Broadcast Group!). And now that the Rockies season is done, the ATT Sportsnet channel that had all three teams is shutting down the end of this weekend. BTW, Scripps also owns stations in Denver and Colorado Springs, should the Rockies need a free-TV place to park their games.

Flint1979

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on October 05, 2023, 10:29:37 PM
Diamond Sports has dropped the Phoenix Arizona Coyotes, effective October 1, and the Bally Sports Arizona network was shut down Wednesday.  The Coyotes have signed with Scripps' KNXV-TV in Phoenix, who will air 81 of the 82 games on Channel 15.2 (the other one is a national game on ESPN+).  They will also air in Tucson on KGUN-TV/9.2 and two stations in Salt Lake City.

Fixed.  They've been the Arizona Coyotes for several years now.  Old habits are hard to break.  :pan:
Nothing wrong with that I'm sure anyone could figure out what you are talking about. I call things and places by their old names too.

ET21

Happy Opening Night!

Clinched:

Alps

Quote from: ET21 on October 10, 2023, 01:09:55 PM
Happy Opening Night!
My happy opening night is Thursday.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.