News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Questions about old US 2 alignments in Upper Michigan

Started by Route66Fan, May 15, 2023, 03:47:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Route66Fan

When looking for old alignments of US 2 in Upper Michigan, I found, not only an old alignment between Gulliver, MI & Manistee, MI (Duck Inn Rd.), what appears to be a really old alignment of US 2 (Willy Mac Rd.). I would like to know where I could find information about when these alignments were bypassed. According to HistoricAerials.com, Willy Mac Rd. was indeed the original alignment of US 2 ca. 1931, however I can't find when it was bypassed by the Duck Inn Rd. alignment. Does Michigan have any "Project Highway History" maps that would show when these roads were constructed?

mhh

The Ghostbuster

US 2 also had some realignments along its route between St. Ignace (which it originally didn't serve) and Sault Ste. Marie prior to the construction of Interstate 75. US 2's last pre-75 alignment was along Mackinac Trail (now County Highway H-63).

Flint1979

I think you mean Manistique. Manistee is in the Lower Peninsula north of Ludington. But anyway I believe all the allignments done in the area were done in the 1930's. I don't think Willy Mac was part of US-2 but I could be wrong, Willy Mac is a dirt road Duck Inn Road was indeed part of US-2. Another area just to the east of there would have US-2 following Pawley Road in a stair step fashion. The allignments basically straightened out the curves and made it safer.

TheHighwayMan3561

While it's not directly related to the topic, this site has some pretty good references to some old Minnesota US route alignments in the presentation the OP is asking for (61 is the focus and likely the closest to authoritative on the subject, but also has 8, 16, 52, and 65 well documented, though unfortunately it appears he has been inactive on the site for several years)

https://deadpioneer.com/
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Mapmikey

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 15, 2023, 12:20:49 PM
I think you mean Manistique. Manistee is in the Lower Peninsula north of Ludington. But anyway I believe all the allignments done in the area were done in the 1930's. I don't think Willy Mac was part of US-2 but I could be wrong, Willy Mac is a dirt road Duck Inn Road was indeed part of US-2. Another area just to the east of there would have US-2 following Pawley Road in a stair step fashion. The allignments basically straightened out the curves and made it safer.

This map appears to show US 2 on Willy Mac
https://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1574098/Schoolcraft+County++Seney++Manistique++Doyle++Mooreville++Hiawatha++Inwood++Thompson++Doyles++Steuben++Delta++Cooks/Michigan+State+Atlas+1930c/Michigan/

JREwing78

Topographical maps will also help out:
https://www.usgs.gov/faqs/how-do-i-find-download-or-order-topographic-maps

MDOT also has a set of Right-of-Way maps that has details about when various lands were purchased for highway Right-of-way.
https://mdotjboss.state.mi.us/BITMIX/rowMapFilesHome.htm

Flint1979

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 15, 2023, 04:33:07 PM

https://www.historicmapworks.com/Map/US/1574098/Schoolcraft+County++Seney++Manistique++Doyle++Mooreville++Hiawatha++Inwood++Thompson++Doyles++Steuben++Delta++Cooks/Michigan+State+Atlas+1930c/Michigan/
I don't see how you can tell from looking at that map that US-2 followed Willy Mac.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 15, 2023, 07:07:32 PM

I don't see how you can tell from looking at that map that US-2 followed Willy Mac.

In the early, early days US routes may not have been all paved at signing (especially in a place like the rural UP), or may have been reverted to aggregate at a later date long after the designation was rerouted.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 15, 2023, 12:04:00 PM
US 2 also had some realignments along its route between St. Ignace (which it originally didn't serve) and Sault Ste. Marie prior to the construction of Interstate 75. US 2's last pre-75 alignment was along Mackinac Trail (now County Highway H-63).
I know that US-2 at one time followed the current route of M-129 and M-134 through my U.P. hometown of Cedarville before being re-routed onto Mackinac Trail in the 1930's. US-2 followed Worth Road to Moran, then took a southeast turn on current M-123 to US-31 which is where the MDOT parking lot is next to I-75 currently. Also you can see the roads that used to come in and form a Y at that MDOT parking lot.

Flint1979

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on May 15, 2023, 07:15:28 PM

In the early, early days US routes may not have been all paved at signing (especially in a place like the rural UP), or may have been reverted to aggregate at a later date long after the designation was rerouted.
I see your point but I still don't see how you can tell from that map that it followed Willy Mac. It does make sense that it did if it truly did and I believe that it did. I've done a lot of research on US-2's routing in the U.P. it's by far my favorite US highway in Michigan.

Flint1979

Mapmikey

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 15, 2023, 07:26:58 PM

I see your point but I still don't see how you can tell from that map that it followed Willy Mac. It does make sense that it did if it truly did and I believe that it did. I've done a lot of research on US-2's routing in the U.P. it's by far my favorite US highway in Michigan.

look at Marblehead...where US 2 stops going straight down it goes west a tick before angling SW

I believe this map also shows it
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1929-official-michigan-state-highway-1895345541

There appear to be 4 horizontal steps between Manistique and Gulliver.  If you bypass Willy Mac that removes one of the horizontal steps to the 3 covered by Old US 2;Pawley/Gardapee Rd; Duck Inn Rd at its south end.

That ROW dating site is neat but only covers the modern US 2 movement with most ROW acquired in 1940.  It does show the old route with a 66-ft ROW and GMSV shows Willy Mac with quite a bit less than that.  Searching the biannual highway reports didn't turn up anything.

Flint1979

Quote from: Mapmikey on May 15, 2023, 09:24:01 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 15, 2023, 07:26:58 PM

look at Marblehead...where US 2 stops going straight down it goes west a tick before angling SW

I believe this map also shows it
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/1929-official-michigan-state-highway-1895345541

There appear to be 4 horizontal steps between Manistique and Gulliver.  If you bypass Willy Mac that removes one of the horizontal steps to the 3 covered by Old US 2;Pawley/Gardapee Rd; Duck Inn Rd at its south end.

That ROW dating site is neat but only covers the modern US 2 movement with most ROW acquired in 1940.  It does show the old route with a 66-ft ROW and GMSV shows Willy Mac with quite a bit less than that.  Searching the biannual highway reports didn't turn up anything.
I see it but I couldn't tell if it was Willy Mac or not. I mentioned the stair steps along Pawley Road in a previous post. Duck Inn Road must have had a gap or something at one time between the ends of Willy Mac and the gap was filled in to bypass Willy Mac. That's what it seems like to me anyway.

JREwing78

Most of the current US-2 corridor ROW through there appears to have been purchased in the late 1930's and early 1940s, from the MDOT ROW maps. That would mean any bypass of Willy Mac by Duck Inn Road had to have happened prior to that, somewhere between the late 1910s and mid-1930s.

ROW was purchased in 1932 for a straightening of the stair step at which is now Pawley Rd, but that was never built and was replaced with a different realignment by 1940, with Pawley Rd reverting to the county at the end of 1938. 

Flint1979

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 16, 2023, 02:03:23 AM
Most of the current US-2 corridor ROW through there appears to have been purchased in the late 1930's and early 1940s, from the MDOT ROW maps. That would mean any bypass of Willy Mac by Duck Inn Road had to have happened prior to that, somewhere between the late 1910s and mid-1930s.

ROW was purchased in 1932 for a straightening of the stair step at which is now Pawley Rd, but that was never built and was replaced with a different realignment by 1940, with Pawley Rd reverting to the county at the end of 1938.
It wouldn't have been in the late 1910's because the US highway system wasn't around until 1926. Before US-2 it was M-12.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Route66Fan

Yeah, I meant Manistique.

Flint1979

The Ghostbuster

It's hard to believe that a freeway was once proposed to parallel existing US 2 from Escanaba to St. Ignace. That would have been a perfect place to put the Interstate 98 designation.

Flint1979

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 16, 2023, 01:52:20 PM
It's hard to believe that a freeway was once proposed to parallel existing US 2 from Escanaba to St. Ignace. That would have been a perfect place to put the Interstate 98 designation.
Glad that never happened.

zzcarp

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2023, 02:14:43 PM

In some ways it's too bad it didn't. It would be nice to fly through on a modern freeway, though US 2 with passing lanes and a 65 mph speed limit does the trick. It could have also encouraged Ontario to four-lane Highway 17 from Ottawa faster instead of at its current glacial pace, and possibly connected well into the current US 41 expressway in Wisconsin to reach Green Bay/Milwaukee/Chicago and/or the Twin Cities. But these are fictional dreams of what could have been.
So many miles and so many roads

Flint1979

Quote from: zzcarp on May 16, 2023, 02:23:15 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 16, 2023, 02:14:43 PM

In some ways it's too bad it didn't. It would be nice to fly through on a modern freeway, though US 2 with passing lanes and a 65 mph speed limit does the trick. It could have also encouraged Ontario to four-lane Highway 17 from Ottawa faster instead of at its current glacial pace, and possibly connected well into the current US 41 expressway in Wisconsin to reach Green Bay/Milwaukee/Chicago and/or the Twin Cities. But these are fictional dreams of what could have been.
There's never been a need for it. The traffic on US-2 moves fine and there are 12 passing lanes between St. Ignace and Escanaba

mgk920

And between US 41 at Powers, MI and US 53 just southeast of Superior, WI, US 2 also suffers from a distinct lack of traffic.  OTOH, US 2 does get busier the closer that it gets to I-75 and is likely close to warranting upgrading to four lanes near its east end.

Mike

Flint1979

Quote from: mgk920 on May 16, 2023, 11:26:24 PM
And between US 41 at Powers, MI and US 53 just southeast of Superior, WI, US 2 also suffers from a distinct lack of traffic.  OTOH, US 2 does get busier the closer that it gets to I-75 and is likely close to warranting upgrading to four lanes near its east end.

Mike
It's at it's busiest in Michigan in the Escanaba area.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.