News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Michigan Notes

Started by MDOTFanFB, October 26, 2012, 08:06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Regarding US-23 I have an example of the headache that highway is right now. There is an accident just south of I-96 on the SB side backing traffic up to M-59. Google Maps suggests getting off at M-59 and taking Old US-23 all the way to Silver Lake Road before getting back on the freeway. A distance of 12 miles.

JREwing78

TL/DR: Want to fix congested highways in Michigan? Figure out how to cough up $20 Billion on short notice.
(MDOT's highway budget for the next 5 years: $12 Billion)

How did I come up with that number? Read on:

Using this cost example because it's handy, Florida's DOT estimates a new-construction 6-lane freeway to run about $10 - 20 million per mile. https://www.fdot.gov/programmanagement/estimates/documents/costpermilemodelsreports
Assuming a 50,000 vpd threshold to 6-lane a freeway, and a 90,000 threshold to go to 8 lanes (borrowing WisDOT's rules for this), the following sections of freeway qualify for widening. Note: I excluded urban and suburban freeways in metro Detroit from this list for brevity.

US-23 - 61 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 27-42 (Dundee to M-14 Ann Arbor east)
MM 45-91 (Ann Arbor M-14 to I-75 near Flint)

3 miles of 6-lane freeway > 90,000 vpd
MM 42-45 (M-14 multiplex around Ann Arbor)

US-31 - 6 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 110-116 (Muskegon)

US-127 -
14 miles of 4-lane divided to freeway
(throwing this here for system continuity reasons)
MM 100-114 (Ithaca to St. Johns)

7 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 73-80 (Lansing)

US-131 - 28 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 34-38 (Kalamazoo)
MM 64-76 (Wayland to 76th St)
MM 89-101 (I-96 to M-57)

12 miles of existing 6-lane freeway > 90,000 vpd
MM 77-89 (Grand Rapids, M-6 to I-96)

I-75 - 3 miles of 6-lane freeway > 90,000 vpd
MM 114-117 (Flint, US-23 to I-69)

I-94 - 62 miles of existing 4-lane sections > 50,000 vpd
MM 72 to 108 (K'zoo to I-69)
MM 136-142 (Jackson - M-60 to US-127 South, w/ 3 miles already constructed)
MM 159-166 (Chelsea to existing 6-lane)
MM 171-180 (Ann Arbor, incl. 8-laning MM 177-180)
MM 243-247 (New Baltimore)

3 miles of 6-lane freeway > 90,000 vpd
MM 182-185 (Ypsilanti, US-12 multiplex)

I-96 -
25 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 26-33 (Grand Rapids, Fruit Ridge Ave to Plainfield Ave
MM 38-43 (Grand Rapids, M-21 to M-11)
MM 46-53 (M-6 to M-50)
MM 104-110 (Lansing - Cedar St to Okemos Rd)

14 miles of 6-lane freeway > 90,000 vpd
MM 145-159 (Brighton, Grand River Ave to Wixom Rd, Novi)

I-196 - 17 miles of 4-lane freeway > 50,000 vpd
MM 55-64 (Zeeland, I-196BL to M-6)
MM 69-77 (Grand Rapids, M-121 to US-131)

In total, I estimate:
14 miles of 4-lane divided highway to 4-lane freeway (US-127 Ithaca to St. Johns)
206 miles of 4-lane freeway to widen to 6 lanes
32 miles of 6-lane freeway to widen to 8 lanes

Using guesstimates of $15 million/mile for new 4-lane, $20 million/mile for new 6-lane, and $30 million/mile for new 8-lane, I come up with:
$210 Million to finish the US-127 freeway between Ithaca and St. Johns
$4.1 Billion to 6-lane the overloaded 4-lane stretches
~ $1 Billion to 8-lane the 6-lane stretches - this feels low.

If I use the I-75 work in Oakland County as an example, it cost about $2 Billion for 18 miles of rebuild/widening. That would put 8-laning the congested 6-lane sections of I-96 and US-131 at about $4 Billion, which feels closer to the mark.

Add another $2 Billion or so to modernize I-94 through Detroit. Throw another $1.5 Billion or so to complete the US-31 bypass of Holland and run a US-131 freeway south to I-80/90. Finally, let's throw another $1 Billion to connect Jackson to Toledo with new freeway, and another $1 Billion to uncork Traverse City.

And now I've induced travel demand. So, kick up another 50 miles of 6-laning and 20 miles of 8-laning. Another roughly $3 Billion. And for funsies, let's 4-lane expressway US-2 between Iron Mountain and St. Ignace, and US-41 between Houghton and Menominee. Another $2 Billion

I'm sitting at roughly $20 Billion to uncork every major highway in Michigan. Keep in mind MDOT's budget for the 2023-2027 highway program over 5 years is $12 Billion.

Terry Shea

Quote from: Flint1979 on May 01, 2023, 01:59:56 PM
Quote from: Terry Shea on May 01, 2023, 01:56:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on May 01, 2023, 07:05:03 AM
Quote from: Terry Shea on April 30, 2023, 08:18:13 PM
Does anyone know when the Fulton St (M-21) entrance ramp to EB I-96 is going to be completed, or why they started a new project on I-96, closing down a lane in each direction between Cascade Rd and 28th St, before completing the ramp?  I believe an extra lane of travel between Fulton St and Cascade Rd is also being included in the Fulton St ramp project, and it could really be used right now with.  That area could really get backed up before either project started, and it's really a mess now.  I drove by there today and there are no signs of completing the ramp/extra lane anytime soon.
Things didn't go as planned for MDOT and the work was suspended until sometime this year. The location of the planned ramp contains areas of unstable soil so they need more time for planning and getting more materials needed to stabilize the ramp area. There never was a ramp there so this is all new construction for MDOT. They will be resuming construction there sometime this Spring if they haven't already started.
They haven't and there is no sign that they're going to resume anytime soon.  I don't see any construction vehicles/equipment in the area.  Everything has been removed and the project looks like it's been totally abandoned.  The ramp itself looks virtually complete except for the paving.  I hope this isn't some new MDOT cost-cutting plan to have unpaved freeway entrance ramps. :)
They could still finish it this year. The unstable soil issue has to be thrown in the plans now as soon as they can get the materials they need I'm sure they'll resume working on it.
I certainly hope so.  They already have signage up for the ramp on Fulton St and it's not covered.  Instead of a bridge to nowhere, it's a non-ramp to Lansing! :)

sprjus4

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 01, 2023, 08:13:23 PM
Using this cost example because it's handy, Florida's DOT estimates a new-construction 6-lane freeway to run about $10 - 20 million per mile. https://www.fdot.gov/programmanagement/estimates/documents/costpermilemodelsreports
That number can certainly vary widely depending on the area... for example, a 4 mile widening along I-81 outside Salem, VA is costing around $200 million, roughly $50 million per mile for 4 to 6 lane widening.

$10-20 million per mile is certainly a low ball estimate. I'm not sure what the trends are in Michigan for similar rural freeway widening projects.

JREwing78

Quote from: sprjus4 on May 01, 2023, 10:03:17 PM
$10-20 million per mile is certainly a low ball estimate. I'm not sure what the trends are in Michigan for similar rural freeway widening projects.

Yeah. I'm assuming that figure is just the mainline roadway, without bridges, overpasses, exits, etc.

Still, I think it does a good job explaining the reluctance for Michigan to widen highways to alleviate traffic. Insufficient funds will do that.

bessertc

Quote from: JREwing78 on May 02, 2023, 01:30:03 PM
Quote from: sprjus4 on May 01, 2023, 10:03:17 PM

Yeah. I'm assuming that figure is just the mainline roadway, without bridges, overpasses, exits, etc.

Still, I think it does a good job explaining the reluctance for Michigan to widen highways to alleviate traffic. Insufficient funds will do that.

I just want to congratulate you and tell you that, personally, as one who hasn't worked for MDOT and who will make note of times when they make mistakes or seemingly-bad decisions (we're all human!), I also try to have a balanced viewpoint, too. I've had people e-mail me at my website over the past 26 years complaining "Why doesn't MDOT just do x?" or "MDOT is just stupid for not doing y!". What you have done is not only a fair bit of real-world research on the actual (potential) costs for certain infrastructure upgrades, you then applied that statewide (essentially) which helped illustrate why MDOT "doesn't just do x"! Personally, I'd love it your US-131 widening in the Kalamazoo area and from Wayland to 76th St south of Grand Rapids happened! It would make my commute easier. Personally, I'd love three through lanes both ways from Kalamazoo to 76th St after regularly sitting behind total morons sitting in the left lane doing 68 mph for 15—20 miles passing a 65 mph semi in the right lane...  :banghead: But, I'm also realistic and, like you, I know there are real-world costs and with the citizens of the state generally unwilling to pay for said infrastructure upgrades (it's always easier to bitch about the roads than to shell out a couple more cents a gallon in gasoline taxes!), I know it's not in the cards.

I also have to recognize you for noting the induced travel all "your" capacity improvements would bring. People often just don't think of that kind of stuff. And when you referred to "uncorking" Traverse City... I could only imagine the Record-Eagle's "Letters to the Editor" section blowing up for months (years!) on end with the backlash of connecting T.C. to the freeway system! The last thing many people who move to Northwest Michigan want is for others to do exactly what they did. A freeway to T.C. would bring out every single NIMBY within 50 miles.  :-D
Drive right. Pass Left. Please!

bessertc

BUS US-31 Pentwater: 1955—2023

I've received official word that today, BUS US-31 at Pentwater is no longer. Of course, signage changes will likely take a few weeks or months to implement and BUS US-31 will likely continue to show up on the US-31 freeway exit signage at Exit 154 (nbd) and Exit 158 (sbd) for some time, if MDOT's usual practice remains. (They often, but not always, wait for a freeway signage update/replacement to make those types of changes.)

Effective today, May 4, 2023, the portion of BUS US-31 within the village limits of Pentwater, approximately 1.95 miles, was transferred to village jurisdiction. As the route through the village is up to current standards and in good repair, no additional money is included in the transfer. MDOT will also have to modify its trunkline maintenance contract with the Oceana Co Road Commission to no longer maintain the former BUS US-31 through the village. The remainder of former BUS US-31 north and southeast of Pentwater will be an unsigned state trunkline route, for now. And knowing how many decades it's taken Oceana Co to take back former parts of US-31–and they still haven't taken it all back yet!–it'll likely remain unsigned trunkline for awhile. (There are still 8.215 miles of OLD US-31 still under MDOT jurisdiction 40+ years later!)

The route of BUS US-31 at Pentwater had existed since July 12, 1955 (just shy of 68 full years) when the US-31 "Pentwater Bypass" was completed. This route was originally M-11–the "West Michigan Pike"– since February 14, 1914 and the actual route through the village was transferred to state control on June 26, 1919, just short of 104 years of trunkline existence. Of course, from May 1927 until mid-1955, it was signed as the mainline route of US-31. I've just updated the following pages on the Michigan Highways website:

wanderer2575

Quote from: bessertc on May 04, 2023, 08:28:31 PM

I've received official word that today, BUS US-31 at Pentwater is no longer. Of course, signage changes will likely take a few weeks or months to implement and BUS US-31 will likely continue to show up on the US-31 freeway exit signage at Exit 154 (nbd) and Exit 158 (sbd) for some time, if MDOT's usual practice remains. (They often, but not always, wait for a freeway signage update/replacement to make those types of changes.)

Any idea of the reason for the turnback?  Another squabble over street parking?

bessertc

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 04, 2023, 09:11:50 PM

The MDOT MOU with the Village doesn't state anything specific, other than the usual boilerplate verbiage of "The ROAD SEGMENTS are within the VILLAGE boundaries and are no longer functioning as State Trunkline." I believe that's a catch-all "reason" the Department uses with regard to many of their more minor trunkline turnbacks.

The Pentwater Village President noted in April that when he met with MDOT staff at the Muskegon TSC to discuss the turnback, that "Two-lane business routes are not in the long term goals of MDOT. They have offered us an opportunity to take back this route as a major road in our street program." I've also found MDOT is also working with the City of Hart on a transfer of BUS US-31 in that city as well, along with attempting to get the Oceana Co Road Commission to take back the remaining segments of OLD US-31 (Oceana Dr + a portion of Polk St at Hart) as well. So it seems MDOT may be actively reaching out to counties and municipalities to take over at least some of the more minor Business Connections. I don't know yet if this is more of a regional effort or a statewide endeavor. I'll have to see if folks I know at MDOT and FHWA are able to provide any feedback on this whole effort...

wanderer2575

MDOT has been turning back some short mainline spur routes that no longer have purpose in a statewide transportation network, but to my mind business routes don't fall in that category (notwithstanding mutual turnback agreements because a town/city wants to change a road's operation).  I guess I shouldn't be surprised, given MDOT's long-ago abandoning its involvement with the intercounty route system.

Maybe we're looking at Michigan's slow-moving version of the Great Ontario Download.

dpatrickallen

Of course I am not privy to all that is going on at MDOT, but to the best of my knowledge, there is no statewide effort to
Quote from: bessertc on May 04, 2023, 10:09:38 PM

The MDOT MOU with the Village doesn't state anything specific, other than the usual boilerplate verbiage of "The ROAD SEGMENTS are within the VILLAGE boundaries and are no longer functioning as State Trunkline." I believe that's a catch-all "reason" the Department uses with regard to many of their more minor trunkline turnbacks.

The Pentwater Village President noted in April that when he met with MDOT staff at the Muskegon TSC to discuss the turnback, that "Two-lane business routes are not in the long term goals of MDOT. They have offered us an opportunity to take back this route as a major road in our street program." I've also found MDOT is also working with the City of Hart on a transfer of BUS US-31 in that city as well, along with attempting to get the Oceana Co Road Commission to take back the remaining segments of OLD US-31 (Oceana Dr + a portion of Polk St at Hart) as well. So it seems MDOT may be actively reaching out to counties and municipalities to take over at least some of the more minor Business Connections. I don't know yet if this is more of a regional effort or a statewide endeavor. I'll have to see if folks I know at MDOT and FHWA are able to provide any feedback on this whole effort...

I am of course not aware of everything going on at MDOT, but I feel safe saying that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no statewide effort behind this jurisdictional transfer.  MDOT often cannot give business routes the priority that a local agency would like, and in some of those cases it is mutually agreed by MDOT and the local agency that the local agency would be the better steward for the facility, leading to a transfer.

bessertc

Quote from: bessertc on May 04, 2023, 10:09:38 PM

Another MDOT contact did confirm to me today the Department is in serious discussions with both the Oceana Co Road Commission and the City of Hart to take over their BUS US-31 route and the remaining segments of OLD US-31 (Oceana Dr + Polk Rd between State St and Oceana Dr). I find this interesting in that it's 40+ years that the remaining segment of OLD US-31 along Oceana Dr has been an unsigned trunkline and the County has seemingly been unwilling to take it back up to now. It would be interesting if they took back all of OLD US-31 and, now, the OLD US-31BR segments at Pentwater.

Flint1979

MDOT finally asphalted a crumbling part of M-58 in Saginaw. I swear they did it in less than a week all the way from Court Street down to about Benjamin Street. A couple years ago they did the same thing on a crumbling part of M-46 on the other side of town and had that done in 2 weeks. But the Saginaw County Road Commission will take an entire summer to repave one street. Speaking of the Road commission their garage is on Sheridan Avenue in Saginaw and the part of Sheridan that this is located on has some of the worst concrete in the county. Dixie Highway between Bridgeport and Birch Run is yet another crumbling road and that road should serve as an alternate to I-75 and be in better condition.

afguy

Senate backs $50M grant program to reduce congested rail crossings by building overpasses, underpasses

QuoteMichigan would create and fund a grant program to pay for projects that create roads that go above or under railroad crossing and stop congestion under bills that received Senate approval on Wednesday.

The policy legislation, which was passed 38-0, is designed to address traffic, safety and noise concerns through grade separation. The Senate also approved a transportation spending bill, 20-18 along party lines, with $50 million for the initiative.

It remains to be seen if the funding will be included in the final budget to be negotiated among the Democratic-led Senate, Democratic-controlled House and Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer. The House is expected to include $33 million for the program in a spending plan it will pass this week. Whitmer did not propose such funding in her blueprint. Under Senate Bill 125, the state Department of Transportation would be required to establish the program to issue grade-separation grants to cities, villages and county road commissions. Applicants would have to provide a local, private or federal grant equaling at least 10% of cost to build an overpass or underpass. The measure also would create the local grade separation fund.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/politics-policy/michigan-senate-votes-create-50m-rail-separation-fund

Flint1979

Great I'd love to see them get started in Saginaw at the railroad crossing on W. Genesee just east of N. Michigan. This railroad crossing is so bad that STARS tried to reroute their bus routes around the railroad crossing but some routes go over the tracks there now again.

The problem is that trains go through there often and actually come to a stop and sit on the tracks for multiple minutes at a time blocking the street. The traffic backs up on both Genesee and Michigan. I remember one time about 10 years ago I was on the bus, as soon as the bus was coming across the bridge over the Saginaw River the lights went on for the train crossing and a train was coming, the train proceeded to stop on the tracks for 25 minutes, I am not making this up or anything on the time it was 25 minutes because I looked at my phone and saw the time when the bus stopped and when the bus was able to move again. This caused the entire STARS system to run late because route 6 was 25 minutes late getting to Fashion Square. The inbound bus was already back downtown by the time the outbound bus could move.

afguy

I found this nugget of info on Senator Gary Peters website. An appropriations request for $1.8 million for a project called the I-75 Overbuild Project.

QuoteThis funding will support the planning and community engagement phase of Detroit's I-75 Overbuild Project which proposes placing a nearly 5 acre cover over I-75 near Cass Corridor that will connect the community to downtown

https://www.peters.senate.gov/services/spending-requests/transportation-housing-urban-development-and-related-agencies

Flint1979

Quote from: afguy on May 15, 2023, 06:52:23 PM
I found this nugget of info on Senator Gary Peters website. An appropriations request for $1.8 million for a project called the I-75 Overbuild Project.

QuoteThis funding will support the planning and community engagement phase of Detroit's I-75 Overbuild Project which proposes placing a nearly 5 acre cover over I-75 near Cass Corridor that will connect the community to downtown

https://www.peters.senate.gov/services/spending-requests/transportation-housing-urban-development-and-related-agencies
LOL Gary Peters who's that? That's what we're basically asking up here in Michigan.

GaryV

Maybe they'll make that one so it doesn't leak and form icicles that fall on traffic, like on I-696.

Flint1979

I-75 NB is closed from MM 326 to MM 336. Detour would be to get off at exit 326 and make a left onto Levering Road, follow Levering Road to Levering and make a right on US-31 north and take US-31 back to I-75.

wanderer2575

No doubt it would make the area look nicer, if it's kept up.  But I'm curious to know what is the connectivity issue?  Every north-south street in the area has a bridge over I-75, except for Park Street and Witherell Street which both exist only on the south side.  Repair or replace the Brush Street bridge, if that hasn't yet been done.

Flint1979

Quote from: wanderer2575 on May 16, 2023, 08:55:13 AM

No doubt it would make the area look nicer, if it's kept up.  But I'm curious to know what is the connectivity issue?  Every north-south street in the area has a bridge over I-75, except for Park Street and Witherell Street which both exist only on the south side.  Repair or replace the Brush Street bridge, if that hasn't yet been done.
The connectivity issue is I-75 between all the bridges.

Stephane Dumas

GSV show a recent view (April 2023) of the new Grand River Ave  overpass over I-94 almost completed. https://goo.gl/maps/mUhnRuktw8jU3rW18

Flint1979

A Mackinac Bridge icon is retiring. Pat Rickley has been a toll attendant at the bridge for 30 years and anyone that has met him will not forget him. His classic one liners were great and he was funny. Hope he enjoys a great retirement his last day is Saturday. I'll miss seeing him on my way between Saginaw and Cedarville.

Flint1979

If anyone is heading north in Michigan along I-75 just want to pass along the gas at the Bridgeport exit 144 is $3.22 a gallon currently it's higher everywhere else along the highway.

Also in the Bay City area M-25 westbound from M-13 to its western terminus at US 10 and I-75 is closed as is the southbound ramp to I-75 from eastbound US 10. Use Mackinaw Road south to Delta Road east to M-84 north to get from eastbound US 10 to southbound I-75. The ramp is closed due to the construction on Three Mile Road. US 10 and M-25 eastbound are open to go into Bay City.

KelleyCook

$1.8M for a project that would easily end up costing $200M and take a decade before it would be implemented.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.