News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

US 50 Bridge Failure Between Gunnison & Montrose

Started by thenetwork, April 18, 2024, 08:19:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thenetwork

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2egZ9qEM852YaE3k6

The US-50 Bridge over Blue Mesa Reservoir is now closed "until further notice" due to a routine inspection which found "multiple cracks" in the bridge structure.

This is the only road that connects Gunnison and Montrose.

At this time the only way around this is either via US-285/US-24/I-70 to the north or CO-149/US-160/US-550 to the south.  Either detour will add "multiple hours" to drive time, depending on one's destination.

https://www.codot.gov/news/2024/april/us50-bridge-closed-west-of-gunnison?fbclid=IwZXh0bgNhZW0CMTEAAR1lVhiNCC6v-_JUnM7VXQCaislQlJbfLnml40qi5QDMzg3iDJtpFvvV4Wg_aem_AQCjCMc7I3D_v19gib9ABQ-pI_21BRuuxUrCIT27smkXV-v1EUhNu6ZN_Uj4owjGz8lc5VflfM3aYv7GQKmR774S

As it is early spring, the handful of local dirt roads are either still closed for the season or are still impassable for most vehicles (mud season).

hbelkins

On my recent trip, there were signs on US 24 eastbound between I-70 and Leadville warning of construction on US 50 in that area. I also think I remember seeing similar signs on US 491 in the Cortez area.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

The Ghostbuster

At least this one hasn't collapsed yet. Hopefully they caught the defects in time and it will stay in one piece.

thenetwork

Quote from: hbelkins on April 19, 2024, 01:31:49 PMOn my recent trip, there were signs on US 24 eastbound between I-70 and Leadville warning of construction on US 50 in that area. I also think I remember seeing similar signs on US 491 in the Cortez area.

That was for the Clear Creek Canyon rebuild and widening, which is just below (west of) Blue Mesa, which BTW is doing final paving and cosmetic work now. At least when they would close that section, you could at least go around it on CO-92 from Delta, which only added 60-90 minutes to your drive...Not 6-7 hours with this closure!

There are a lot of commuters who took this road everyday between Gunny and Montrose.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thenetwork on April 19, 2024, 03:39:50 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 19, 2024, 01:31:49 PMOn my recent trip, there were signs on US 24 eastbound between I-70 and Leadville warning of construction on US 50 in that area. I also think I remember seeing similar signs on US 491 in the Cortez area.

That was for the Clear Creek Canyon rebuild and widening, which is just below (west of) Blue Mesa, which BTW is doing final paving and cosmetic work now. At least when they would close that section, you could at least go around it on CO-92 from Delta, which only added 60-90 minutes to your drive...Not 6-7 hours with this closure!

There are a lot of commuters who took this road everyday between Gunny and Montrose.

Hopefully mapping software doesn't route people over Engineer Pass as a shortcut.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.