News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Best Midwest Road Trips?

Started by Molandfreak, December 24, 2012, 09:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hobsini2

Quote from: kphoger on February 03, 2013, 08:20:12 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on February 02, 2013, 03:50:52 PM
Quote from: kphoger on February 02, 2013, 02:39:24 PM
Quote from: hobsini2 on February 02, 2013, 01:05:45 PM
Let me give you some good food options throughout the Midwest that I have encountered in my travels.

Illinois
*Chicago (Cook Co) - Anywhere

FTFY.

Seriously, every Chicago visitor needs to eat Chicago-style pizza.  And, I see you're from Minnesota, so it needs to be said:  Old Chicago does not serve Chicago-style pizza.

Not all Chicago Style Deep Dish in Chicago is the same though. That's why I gave him my favorite place in the city. Connie's is ok. Gino's East is my 2nd favorite. Giordono's is my 3rd. The only Deep Dish Pizzerias i absolutely despise are Lou Malnoti's and Nancy's. My problem with both is that the crust is very soggy and the sauce is terrible.

That's funny:  I've never eaten at Lou Malnatis' or Nancy's!  I know what you mean about the crust, though.  It can make or break it.

I had a bad experience the only time I've been to Gino's, and Giordano's is close to my heart for personal reasons.  I must say, eating at Giordano's downtown is a cool experience just due to its location; it's one of my favorite (and one of the most affordable) places to eat downtown.
Are you talking about Giordano's on E Randolph across from Millenium Park? If so, I agree about the view. Trust me though KP. Next time you are in Chicago and have a craving for some Deep Dish, try D'ags on W Addison and N
Southport west of Wrigley. It is also one of the few DD places I know where one can get just a slice of DD instead of the whole pie.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

kphoger

Actually, I was referring to 223 W Jackson, but my love of Giordano's started in Oak Park.

I used to work a block from a place that sold Chicago deep dish by the slice, and for a while I was eating one every day for lunch.  Then I figured I'd probably die of a heart attack if I didn't stop soon.  I did learn once that it's not wise to order a Chicago-style pizza at an off-peak time, as it can take upwards of an hour to make one–two trips through the oven, for one thing.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

bugo

I've heard that "Chicago pizza" isn't indicative of most pizza joints in Chicago.  What I've heard is that most Chicago pizza joints use a thin crust made of sourdough.  Whether this is true or not I don't know.

A.J. Bertin

Michigan has a lot of awesome drives... especially along Lake Michigan (U.S. 31/M-22) - including the Leelanau Peninsula, Sleeping Bear Dunes area, Traverse City, crossing the Mackinac Bridge (including the Mackinaw City/St. Ignace areas), and then all across the Upper Peninsula. The Pictured Rocks near Munising (along the Lake Superior shoreline) are fantastic. The U.P. has a lot of gorgeous waterfalls, hikes, and drives. M-26 at the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula (including Brockway Mountain Drive) is breathtaking.
-A.J. from Michigan

hobsini2

Quote from: Stalin on February 04, 2013, 08:03:49 PM
I've heard that "Chicago pizza" isn't indicative of most pizza joints in Chicago.  What I've heard is that most Chicago pizza joints use a thin crust made of sourdough.  Whether this is true or not I don't know.

I don't know about the Sourdough being used as I do not bake bread (even though my father has for years) but here is a simple recipe for you if you care to make Deep Dish.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-10000001120351/
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

djsinco

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 06, 2013, 06:49:12 PM
Quote from: Stalin on February 04, 2013, 08:03:49 PM

I don't know about the Sourdough being used as I do not bake bread (even though my father has for years) but here is a simple recipe for you if you care to make Deep Dish.

http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/chicago-style-deep-dish-pizza-10000001120351/

Hobsini2 - noticed you are from Bolingbrook... Is Bono's still there across the street from the truckstop?  They used to have great Chicago style food! From Google Maps, it looks like the space is now taken over by Fatty Magoo's. Probably yet another place I can scratch off my bucket list of places to return to someday...
3 million miles and counting

hobsini2

DJ, the Bono's in Bolingbrook is gone, replaced by Fatty Magoo's. However, there is still a Bono's on Ogden Ave near Yackley Ave in Lisle. I want to say it is just west of the intersection.

on_wisconsin

My boss, who is from Chicago, has everyone convinced that Homerun Inn has the best pizza in that area. I agree.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

djsinco

Quote from: hobsini2 on February 09, 2013, 10:14:39 PM
DJ, the Bono's in Bolingbrook is gone, replaced by Fatty Magoo's. However, there is still a Bono's on Ogden Ave near Yackley Ave in Lisle. I want to say it is just west of the intersection.

Thanks for the info. I know I was not the only rabid fan, as one time I was in line at Bono's behind an airline pilot. He was on his way home to San Francisco, and stopped for a few Italian sausage heroes to go home with... It was not the best Chicago hot dog stand, but the location made it one of my favorites...

Molandfreak

Lots of great replies so far, thanks guys! I might have to go to Chicago again since the last time I went there 4 years ago, the trip was dedicated solely to getting a new harp from Lyon and Healy. I haven't done much else there since I was really little :-D
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

hobsini2

Quote from: djsinco on February 10, 2013, 04:04:35 AM
Quote from: hobsini2 on February 09, 2013, 10:14:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I know I was not the only rabid fan, as one time I was in line at Bono's behind an airline pilot. He was on his way home to San Francisco, and stopped for a few Italian sausage heroes to go home with... It was not the best Chicago hot dog stand, but the location made it one of my favorites...
Personally, my favorite hot dog stand is in River Forest on River Rd called Gene and Jude's. It has been there for something like 50 years. One of the unique things they do that I like is they put the fries ON the dog. The other ones that I like are Paradise Pup, also on River Rd, in Des Plaines and Jim's Original on S Union (West Frontage Rd to 90/94 Ryan) near UIC south of Roosevelt. If you go to Jim's though, make sure you go to the north building. There is a place next door (the south one) that looks exactly like it that is a knock off. I also go to Jim's for their bone in pork chop sandwich.

djsinco

Thanks, but unfortunately, when I am traveling I-80 across IL, I generally am on a schedule. I always try to get a quick taste of something local. The easiest to access currently are Big Al's Beef or the Portillo's which are just north of 80 on Harlem. Either will do in a pinch, but I still miss the 3 dogs and 2 fries for 5 bucks Mom and Pop places of long ago...

hobsini2

Quote from: djsinco on February 13, 2013, 02:28:30 PM
Thanks, but unfortunately, when I am traveling I-80 across IL, I generally am on a schedule. I always try to get a quick taste of something local. The easiest to access currently are Big Al's Beef or the Portillo's which are just north of 80 on Harlem. Either will do in a pinch, but I still miss the 3 dogs and 2 fries for 5 bucks Mom and Pop places of long ago...

Both Gene & Jude's and Jim's Original have deals like that still today.

djsinco

Jules: [laughing] Oh, man. I'm going, that's all there is to it. I'm fucking going.
Vincent: Yeah, baby, you'd dig it the most

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.