News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

License Plate News

Started by Alex, February 04, 2010, 10:38:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalvado

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2019, 10:33:05 AM
Long story short: car dealers having a role or no role regarding vehicle registrations via DMV/RMV is dependent upon which state(s) one's dealing with.
NY: for in-state purchases, at least at larger dealerships, by default they ask you to provide an active registration information along with insurance documents and unbolt old plates from trade-in (or you can bring in old plates in case of private sale of old car)  at the time of delivery. There is a financial incentive for doing that as refund for old registration is pretty limited.
Dealer issuing new plates on behalf of DMV is an option, mostly when there is no old registration. 
You get a temporary sticker for either option, permanent one is mailed by DMV to registration address.

Eth

Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2019, 07:16:20 PM
So what's the default option in your state when you buy a new car?

I don't think I really have a particularly helpful response here. My only car purchase occurred in MD; transferring the plate from the old car wouldn't have been an option regardless, because it was a GA plate (I had just moved about 5 months earlier). I didn't receive a temporary tag either; the dealer actually had a proper MD plate that was put on the car immediately and remained there until I moved back to GA.

DaBigE

Quote from: jakeroot on September 30, 2019, 07:16:20 PM

So what's the default option in your state when you buy a new car?

The default in every vehicle purchase I've been involved with was for the seller to ask if I had plates to transfer or if I wanted new plates, even if I didn't bring a vehicle to trade. No one has ever tried to force me to take new plates.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

kphoger

I've had the same license plate since 2012.  It's now on vehicle #3.  In 2016, in fact, we drove from Kansas to Tennessee to buy a used Pathfinder.  When we got to the dealership, we took the Kansas plate off the old car, tossed it in our folder with the dealership paperwork, drove back to Kansas on a Tennessee temporary tag, and then later transferred the Kansas plate onto the new car after paying the tax and registration fee.  We got the amount of time left (unused) on the previous vehicle's registration refunded to us as well.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

PHLBOS

In PA, the oldest license plates on vehicles date back to 2000... the first year of the original-style blue/white/yellow plates.   
GPS does NOT equal GOD

route56

Quote from: kphoger on October 01, 2019, 02:46:41 PM
I've had the same license plate since 2012.  It's now on vehicle #3.  In 2016, in fact, we drove from Kansas to Tennessee to buy a used Pathfinder.  When we got to the dealership, we took the Kansas plate off the old car, tossed it in our folder with the dealership paperwork, drove back to Kansas on a Tennessee temporary tag, and then later transferred the Kansas plate onto the new car after paying the tax and registration fee.  We got the amount of time left (unused) on the previous vehicle's registration refunded to us as well.

My current Kansas tag is on vehicle #3 as well.

In Kansas, vehicle registration cannot be processed at the dealership - you will have a "60 day" tag affixed to your vehicle. Depending on the dealer (or if the previous owner had a lien on the vehicle) it may take a bit for the title paperwork to be received. Obviously, you can't transfer plates or get new ones until you get the paperwork. Also, if it's a used car from out-of-state, it will likely need a VIN inspection.

As kphoger noted, if the plate is transferred, you do receive pro rata credit for Property taxes and registration on the previous vehicle. Likewise, taxes and registration on the new vehicle will also be pro rated. When I bought me previous car (2013 Sentra) in April 2016, I was given the option to go ahead and re-up to July 2017 - in effect, I paid 15 months taxes on the Sentra the first time around. The Sentra was totaled in June 2019 in a car-deer collision, and when it came time to transfer the plates to the new car (2019 Impreza) I was already due for renewal, so there was no pro rata involved - I basically paid a years taxes on the Impreza (from July 2019 to July 2020).
Peace to you, and... don't drive like my brother.

R.P.K.

SidS1045

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2019, 10:33:05 AMIn MA, one can do what is known as a 2-day temporary transfer of an existing/current/active plate onto the new/additional vehicle.  No RMV involvement is needed at the point of sale but the plate being used needs to be currently active.  Such allows the vehicle to be legally driven by the owner to their residence.  After such happens, the owner has to go to the RMV with the vehicle purchase paperwork, proof of insurance and either apply for a new registration/plate or apply to transfer the existing registration/plate from the prior vehicle to the newly-purchased one.

For the last two vehicle purchases I made in MA (2004 and 2011), the dealers handled everything, including printing the new registration and calling my insurance agent.  No run to the RMV was necessary.
"A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." - Edward R. Murrow

PHLBOS

Quote from: SidS1045 on October 09, 2019, 12:22:16 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on October 01, 2019, 10:33:05 AMIn MA, one can do what is known as a 2-day temporary transfer of an existing/current/active plate onto the new/additional vehicle.  No RMV involvement is needed at the point of sale but the plate being used needs to be currently active.  Such allows the vehicle to be legally driven by the owner to their residence.  After such happens, the owner has to go to the RMV with the vehicle purchase paperwork, proof of insurance and either apply for a new registration/plate or apply to transfer the existing registration/plate from the prior vehicle to the newly-purchased one.
For the last two vehicle purchases I made in MA (2004 and 2011), the dealers handled everything, including printing the new registration and calling my insurance agent.  No run to the RMV was necessary.
Such wasn't always the case; at least from 1990(?) and earlier.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

Quote from: catch22 on September 30, 2019, 07:21:37 AM
Quote from: DaBigE on September 29, 2019, 10:17:59 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on September 29, 2019, 10:10:29 PM
Quote from: kalvado on September 29, 2019, 09:19:41 PM
Well... To begin with, in NY plates follow the owner, not the car. Given there are some 90+-year-old drivers making the news -  if not for a mandatory replacement, some 70-75-year-old plates would happen. Moreover, such ancient plates would become a symbol of status - as it happened in MA - and people would go to great lengths to keep those.

Sorry, I didn't realize NYS had such strange licence plate rules. Doesn't make my point moot everywhere else.

In other jurisdictions, plates stay with the car forever, until it is sold, or until the plate is too old. Custom or "antique" plates can be traded amongst owners, but not regular plates. At least not in most states that I've seen.

Pretty sure they stay with the owner in Wisconsin as well.

Also Michigan.

Likewise in Illinois.  When you buy a new car, trading in your old car, the default is to simply transfer the plates to the new vehicle.  Mine date from 2001, and this is the third vehicle they have been on.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Pink Jazz

The Arizona Cxxyyyy series plates are going fast. I think Arizona is due for a redesign and the Dxxyyyy series would be a good place to start.

jakeroot

Quote from: Pink Jazz on October 10, 2019, 03:20:53 PM
The Arizona Cxxyyyy series plates are going fast. I think Arizona is due for a redesign and the Dxxyyyy series would be a good place to start.

Did AZ's seven-digit plates start with AAA0000? WA is on track to hit CAA0000 within the next few years. Started with A, now on B, etc.

kphoger

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Couleurs

https://www.denverpost.com/2019/10/28/colorado-license-plates-green-mountains-white-sky/

There's a chance Colorado might switch back to green mountains with a white sky in 2021

thenetwork

I just got new Colorado plates for my company vehicle -- FWIW, Colorado has now moved from 3-letter/3-number combos to ABC-D12 formats.  Still has the dash in the middle of the sequence, though.

jakeroot

We were talking about license plates that were old a page or two back. I don't remember exactly, but I believe I mentioned that old license plates were fairly common in Washington State. I spotted one that I believe may be the oldest that I've ever seen (1941 Truck plate). WA allows old plates like these, as long as the owner maintains readability. The actual plate number isn't what's listed on the plate, but rather an extra code on the registration (actual plate number is whatever plate was automatically issued with the registration, IIRC). Throws off out of state police on occasion.

7/8

The new white-on-blue Ontario plates came out at the start of the month: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/ontario-s-new-licence-plates-hit-the-road-here-s-what-you-need-to-know-1.4795049

Here's a photo from this article.

So far I've only seen two on the road. It's exciting to see a design change since they've been basically the same my whole life. However, I wish they stuck with embossed plates and I think it would have made more sense to keep "Ontario" capitalized to match the slogan.

jakeroot

Damn. I really liked "Yours to Discover". Something really classy about it. The new motto seems like a rewording of that silly "Open for Business" slogan plastered on the welcome signs.

Dustin DeWinn

I know this maybe confusing, but it's a very complicated system. I was curious what each state was doing in terms of license plate registration and inspection stickers. You have states that are rear plate-only, some have stickers on the windshield, some on the front plate, some back, some both, etc. I made a half-assed attempt to visualize this. The purpose was to understand what everyone was doing. Hawaii was the most complicated and couldn't figure it out because it varies on a number of factors.

States have removed or reduced sticker requirements to save money, and this was to sort of demonstrate an incentive for other states to do that too.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 12, 2020, 11:38:14 AM
IIRC, both DE & FL do not have annual auto inspections; so such would not have inspection stickers on the windshields.

PA got rid of their plate registration stickers about 2 years ago; but such is still a rear-plate-only state. 
Depending on which county a PA vehicle is registered in, such can have two inspection stickers placed next to each other: one for the annual safety inspection (all counties) and one for the annual emissions testing (in some counties w/certain vehicles being exempt).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

kalvado

I know this maybe confusing, but it's a very complicated system. I was curious what each state was doing in terms of license plate registration and inspection stickers. You have states that are rear plate-only, some have stickers on the windshield, some on the front plate, some back, some both, etc. I made a half-assed attempt to visualize this. The purpose was to understand what everyone was doing. Hawaii was the most complicated and couldn't figure it out because it varies on a number of factors.

States have removed or reduced sticker requirements to save money, and this was to sort of demonstrate an incentive for other states to do that too.

TN and OK show both no front plate, but front plate sticker.... I am a bit confused

Dustin DeWinn

Quote from: kalvado on February 12, 2020, 01:35:45 PM

TN and OK show both no front plate, but front plate sticker.... I am a bit confused

yeah....i never finished this. good catch. i was still verifying and confirming when i gave up on it. so it was never finished and really never meant to be seen (realistically) by anyone. Was doing it just for me, really. but good catch!

renegade

Quote from: Dustin DeWinn on February 12, 2020, 03:33:52 PM
Quote from: kalvado on February 12, 2020, 01:35:45 PM

yeah....i never finished this. good catch. i was still verifying and confirming when i gave up on it. so it was never finished and really never meant to be seen (realistically) by anyone. Was doing it just for me, really. but good catch!
Since it's out there, Michigan's Upper Peninsula could use some love.

Ohio can be added to the "no front plate"  list after July 1.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

deathtopumpkins

New Hampshire is labeled as dark for all three colors. We do have front and rear plates, both of which have 2 stickers on them (month & year), but the only sticker that goes on your windshield is just the one inspection sticker.

And Massachusetts is labeled as dark for front plate, but MA does not require stickers on front plates, only one sticker on the rear plate.
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

DaBigE

What are the x1 x2 columns supposed to indicate? Wisconsin has no inspection sticker. Any regions of the state with emissions checks has the process tied to the registration sticker, of which there is only one on the rear plate.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

6a

Quote from: DaBigE on February 13, 2020, 12:05:15 PM
What are the x1 x2 columns supposed to indicate? Wisconsin has no inspection sticker. Any regions of the state with emissions checks has the process tied to the registration sticker, of which there is only one on the rear plate.
I think it means the number of stickers on each plate. In Ohio, for example, the rear plate has a county sticker and the yearly registration. The front (until July) only has the county sticker.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.