News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Thrilling Rollercoasters

Started by MultiMillionMiler, November 26, 2022, 03:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MultiMillionMiler

My personal favorite is Fury325! Rode it almost 100 times on my 3 day trip to Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina. Actually the park is in both North and South Carolina. This rollercoaster passes through both states (maybe it should receive an interstate designation lol). It won the Rollercoaster Golden Awards for 6 years straight as the best steel rollercoaster in the world. It is fast, smooth, comfortable seats/restraints, doesn't do anything weird like going upside down or launch, and the first drop is a good 5 second sustained free fall. Living on Long Island, Six Flags Great Adventure is my "home park" but is very boring in comparison. Fury 325 is almost a perfect rollercoaster. Anyone else love rollercoasters? What are your experiences?

https://images.app.goo.gl/v8iqQNc53HdT5DS68

roadman65

I thought you hate grades over 7 percent?

Oh wait, you want every road to be like a rollercoaster.   There is one in Tampa, that goes straight down.  What interstate do you want to be like that?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

vdeane

Quote from: roadman65 on November 26, 2022, 04:27:45 PM

Oh wait, you want every road to be like a rollercoaster.   There is one in Tampa, that goes straight down.  What interstate do you want to be like that?
Roller coasters have too many curves for MMM.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Max Rockatansky

Any rollercoaster that makes me fear for my life like the curves on the PA Turnpike

roadman65

Quote from: vdeane on November 26, 2022, 04:48:13 PM

And they're not free either. :bigass:
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

kirbykart

I knew who the OP was as soon as I saw the title.

There was some theme park ride called the West Virginia Turnpike. Go into the Ohio Valley Mid-Atlantic regional board and look for the thread "West Virginia Turnpike"; open to the first page.

I don't get him. Main St. in Cattaraugus is too steep for a state road, yet he wants over 24% on a new interstate, because being straight is more important than being drivable at 70 MPH, apparently.

Rothman

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 03:45:42 PM
My personal favorite is Fury325! Rode it almost 100 times on my 3 day trip to Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina. Actually the park is in both North and South Carolina. This rollercoaster passes through both states (maybe it should receive an interstate designation lol). It won the Rollercoaster Golden Awards for 6 years straight as the best steel rollercoaster in the world. It is fast, smooth, comfortable seats/restraints, doesn't do anything weird like going upside down or launch, and the first drop is a good 5 second sustained free fall. Living on Long Island, Six Flags Great Adventure is my "home park" but is very boring in comparison. Fury 325 is almost a perfect rollercoaster. Anyone else love rollercoasters? What are your experiences?

What other ones have you ridden for comparison?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kirbykart

Just like how the Jersey Turnpike is a near perfect road? It doesn't have anything weird like curves and hills.  :bigass:

And the designation for the Fury325 is I-325 (just hope they don't use that for a new spur into Casper, Wyoming LOL)!

A roller coaster at Waldameer in Erie bridges over PA 8-suchandsuchwhoactuallycaresLOL and is called the Ravine Flyer II. I have never ridden any roller-coasters but I have been to Waldameer, and I have been under the coaster's bridge over PA 8-suchndsuchwhoactuallycaresLOL on the way to Presque Isle.

MultiMillionMiler

The whole point of rollercoasters is intense curves at high speeds..etc the difference is its bolted to a track on at least 3 sides of the rail.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: roadman65 on November 26, 2022, 05:09:39 PM

Toll roads should be an admission fee, just like amusement parks. Charge say $5 or $10 for entrance to the jersey turnpike regardless of how far you take it. Charge $20 or $30 to enter the Penn turnpike regardless of distance traveled.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Rothman on November 26, 2022, 07:13:59 PM

What other ones have you ridden for comparison?

Nitro
El Toro (Malfunctioned 2x in a year, not sure I will trust it again)
Intimidator (at carowinds, not I-305)
Superman - New England
Expedition Everest - Disney
Space Mountain
Thundermountain Railway
Coney Island Cyclone
Other wooden ones-forgot the names
Fury 325

Wanted to go on Candymonium and Skyrush at Hershey Park when I was in Palmyra PA this month, but they were both closed due to them putting stupid lights up or something for "transition into the holiday season". Etc or some BS like that.

kirbykart

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 08:12:43 PM

Toll roads should be an admission fee, just like amusement parks. Charge say $5 or $10 for entrance to the jersey turnpike regardless of how far you take it. Charge $20 or $30 to enter the Penn turnpike regardless of distance traveled.

Noooooooooooooooooo no no no no no no noooooooooooooo! The person who drives seven miles on the turnpike should not have to pay the same amount as the person who drives 160 miles on the turnpike!

Max Rockatansky

^^^

Bizarrely NUMTOT of him to say isn't it?

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 08:12:43 PM

Trouble is for the rollercoaster operator is that there is thing called net profit that needed to keep operations going.  Or am I edging you towards some sort of bizarre rant on how you think economics should be?

hotdogPi

Do you want to pay $20 to go one exit?
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: 1 on November 26, 2022, 08:23:39 PM

If it meant I wouldn't have to shell out $100 or $200 any time I drove the whole length or close to it, definitely. And if people are only going 1 exit they probably don't even have to use the turnpike in the first place. Those people are adding to the traffic long distance drivers have to endure, so it's not unfair they have to pay slightly more than per mile/per exit. They would save a ton on any long distance trip and the state may net just as much money anyway.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 08:27:02 PM
Quote from: 1 on November 26, 2022, 08:23:39 PM

If it meant I wouldn't have to shell out $100 or $200 any time I drove the whole length or close to it, definitely. And if people are only going 1 exit they probably don't even have to use the turnpike in the first place. Those people are adding to the traffic long distance drivers have to endure, so it's not unfair they have to pay slightly more than per mile/per exit. They would save a ton on any long distance trip and the state may net just as much money anyway.

You aren't by chance a closet NUMTOT?  You're saying NUMTOT style things right now.

MultiMillionMiler

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 08:34:07 PM
What the hell is a NUNTOT?

People you'd love, if you haven't joined up you should.  They love to hear about ideas like your Interstate stuff. 

Mr. Matté

"Just the looking at this thread makes me feel sick."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Mr. Matté on November 26, 2022, 08:42:44 PM
"Just the looking at this thread makes me feel sick."

So you could say that this thread is a "rollercoaster ride?"  

MultiMillionMiler

You people really need to get on this ride, I've been on other hypercoasters that got boring after 4-5 rides, but this one took a good 60-70 times before it got boring. My main reason for going to South Carolina was to go on this rollercoaster.

Max Rockatansky

Were your secondary reasons South of the Border and the most direct Interstate route to the Florence Buc-ee's?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2022, 09:02:07 PM
Were your secondary reasons South of the Border and the most direct Interstate route to the Florence Buc-ee's?

No, I flew.
JFK to Charlotte.
But I was on I-77 and I-485 once there.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 09:06:04 PM

No, I flew.
JFK to Charlotte.

Ironic for someone with ambitious to drive more than 2,000,000 miles.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on November 26, 2022, 09:09:59 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on November 26, 2022, 09:06:04 PM

No, I flew.
JFK to Charlotte.

Ironic for someone with ambitious to drive more than 2,000,000 miles.

I wanted to get on the ride, didn't do it for the driving.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.