News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2022, 10:09:32 AM
I mean, I guess they're interesting.  But they're also the standard signs (except for the unique toll road ones).  As someone who drives a lot of miles in Texas, I actually find those photos rather un-interesting.

No offense.
^I agree.  Although I like the FM or RM or whatever other dinky road designation in Texas, just pointing them out because they don't exist in other states doesn't make them that unique.

It's like posting a shield from a WI lettered route.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ClassicHasClass

2 Arrows 1 Exit (I-105 W at Prairie/Hawthorne, Los Angeles)

https://goo.gl/maps/AkNmzo3LVtDghfyK8

Bonus: button copy (still up)

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on April 26, 2022, 10:09:32 AM
I mean, I guess they're interesting.  But they're also the standard signs (except for the unique toll road ones).  As someone who drives a lot of miles in Texas, I actually find those photos rather un-interesting.

No offense.
[/quote

None taken. 

I mean to say the many variations of the primary routes they have which other states have just one kind.  Yes the square shields are just that and IMO the FM and RM shields are the better ones for the eye to behold.  Believe me I grew up in NJ which shares a common interest with KY, MS, DE, IA, and formerly OK and VT with circles and no originality, so I know what the squares are. 

Riding Texas is like driving most of New England with those as no variation of shields per each state other than VT and NH.

However, what state has LOOP, SPUR, Park Road, NASA ROAD, Beltway. and PA designations for the state designations.  Yes GA comes close with CONN and SPUR, but you don't have those designations often in many states.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

The thing that is kind of disappointing about Texas is that it's so big and yet the signs are more or less identical in Amarillo as they are in Corpus Christi.

And none of the special shields, like the Sam Houston Tollway or the Dallas North Tollway, are really that interesting either. You would think a state with such a deep well of money, population, and cultural history as Texas would be able to do way better. By comparison, for example, Minnesota has only a fraction of the population and money as Texas but they have dozens of very artistic scenic highway signs.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

JoePCool14

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on April 26, 2022, 02:34:45 PM

Was that supposed to be their half-assed way of signing an option and exit only lanes? That sign's definitely an interesting one, thanks for sharing.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

roadman65

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 26, 2022, 11:21:08 PM
The thing that is kind of disappointing about Texas is that it's so big and yet the signs are more or less identical in Amarillo as they are in Corpus Christi.

And none of the special shields, like the Sam Houston Tollway or the Dallas North Tollway, are really that interesting either. You would think a state with such a deep well of money, population, and cultural history as Texas would be able to do way better. By comparison, for example, Minnesota has only a fraction of the population and money as Texas but they have dozens of very artistic scenic highway signs.

I personally prefer the original Dallas North Tollway Shields before the ones they got now.

I do however like the artwork on the pier in this photo though.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/54480415@N08/52032087803/in/photostream/

Being the Johnson Space Flight Center is nearby, so it fits well to have the mural on the center pier on I-45 at NASA 1 interchange.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

By comparison, for example, Minnesota has only a fraction of the population and money as Texas but they have dozens of very artistic scenic highway signs.

Holy cow, are there any officially designated scenic byways anywhere in Texas?

The are definitely some routes that should be designated as such, but I can't think of any.  Those would be awesome to identify and take a road trip on.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

- SH 294 is nice, and one of the few where there's a semblance of autumn.

- US 377 from Rocksprings and Junction has some elevation changes and winds around some hillsides and valleys.

- RM 337 is a nice mountain drive from (north of) Uvalde to Banderas

Texas has several designated Heritage Trails, but I think they're more about tourism than beauty.

Examples: Texas Pecos Trail, Texas Tropical Trail, Texas Independence Trail

roadman65

:bigass:I was noticing that CA likes to place a shield above the mast arm mounting to the pole rather than either down lower with arrows extending or place it on a street blade on the arm itself.

Sheryl Crowe

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: formulanone on April 27, 2022, 11:37:26 AM
- SH 294 is nice, and one of the few where there's a semblance of autumn.

- US 377 from Rocksprings and Junction has some elevation changes and winds around some hillsides and valleys.

- RM 337 is a nice mountain drive from (north of) Uvalde to Banderas

Texas has several designated Heritage Trails, but I think they're more about tourism than beauty.

Texas Mountain Trail

RM 32 goes through the Devil's Backbone west of New Braunfels.

SH-71 goes by the Balcones Escarpment

PR-4 goes around Inks Lake

SH-16 is incredible going through the Texas Hill County from Bandera (no S) to Kerrville.

SH-118 thought the Davis Mountains is incredible.

Loop 375 though Franklin Mountains State Park is amazing. 

These are some of my favorites...

All are labeled on the map as scenic route.  They may not be official ordained as "scenic byways."

kphoger

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 27, 2022, 12:37:38 PM
All are labeled on the map as scenic route.  They may not be official ordained as "scenic byways."

"the map"  ??
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2022, 12:51:51 PM
Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on April 27, 2022, 12:37:38 PM

"the map"  ??

Rand McNally.

J N Winkler

Quote from: formulanone on April 27, 2022, 11:37:26 AMTexas has several designated Heritage Trails, but I think they're more about tourism than beauty.

More details can be found here:

Texas Heritage Trails Program

Map (PDF) of marked routes

The first page has graphics of the markers for each route.  None is pattern-accurate, but each is based on a rendering in TxDOT's Standard Highway Sign Designs for Texas book that is pattern-accurate.

One highly scenic route not already mentioned is FM 170 between Presidio and Big Bend National Park.

"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

ClassicHasClass

Quote from: JoePCool14 on April 26, 2022, 11:46:33 PM

Was that supposed to be their half-assed way of signing an option and exit only lanes? That sign's definitely an interesting one, thanks for sharing.

Not sure. I'm not even sure what was added when. I'm sceptical it came from the sign shop like that, but Caltrans has never failed to surprise me before.

roadman65

The fact in many places, Caltrans uses a slim font for the number five.

Plus in this photo the direction banner is above the shield. Usually most CA Freeway ramps place the direction below it and above the arrows.

Sheryl Crowe

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadman65 on April 20, 2022, 05:46:43 PM
Another upside down install signal ahead sign in Willows, CA.

Do they have their own version of Tipperary Hill?

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2022, 10:06:22 AM
By comparison, for example, Minnesota has only a fraction of the population and money as Texas but they have dozens of very artistic scenic highway signs.

The are definitely some routes that should be designated as such, but I can't think of any.  Those would be awesome to identify and take a road trip on.

I just stumbled across the fact that Texas is one of only two states with no National Scenic Byways designated by FHWA. (Hawaii is the other, which makes me suspect it's more a matter of TxDOT simply not having much use for the program, rather than Texas being a federally designated non-scenic zone.)
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Rothman

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 01, 2022, 06:17:42 AM
Quote from: kphoger on April 27, 2022, 10:06:22 AM

I just stumbled across the fact that Texas is one of only two states with no National Scenic Byways designated by FHWA. (Hawaii is the other, which makes me suspect it's more a matter of TxDOT simply not having much use for the program, rather than Texas being a federally designated non-scenic zone.)
Not sure that's a bad thing.  Here in NY, everyone wants every road to be a byway and it dilutes the whole idea.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

I was noticing the way the I-69 was added to the Beltway 8 exit guide for the Eastex Freeway near Houston.

The greenout Behind the I-69 and US 59 shields shows that the sign previously read " North US 59"  and the NORTH banner was where the shields are now and the larger greenout behind the SOUTH was where the original US 59 shield was placed in the pre I-69 era.

It's odd that they didn't make it NORTH I-69/ US 59 as usually left exits or left side ramp splits like the direction first.

Sheryl Crowe

Mr. Matté

In front of a new Amazon warehouse in Central Jersey, the contractor must have bought the signs off Amazon. They ordered circle NJ 33 shields but ended up with counterfeit CT 33 shields (with directional banners stolen from old-time Virginia):

kphoger

If I saw that sign near a large warehouse facility, I might even assume it was referring to something like "Building East 33" or "East Dock 33" or whatever.
Male pronouns, please.

LilianaUwU

A sign warning of the possibility of punctured tires, but it's not a sign: it's a piece of paper glued to a cut up bus route sign.

Risque de crevaison by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

Risque de crevaison - close up by Liliana Vess, on Flickr

I suspect it is mainly targeted towards buses, hence why it's glued on an old bus stop sign.
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

snowc

Link is not working.
EDIT: Working now. After a reboot.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

The ONE WAY sign overhead  for McKinney Street is neat.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.