Regional Boards > Northeast

NYC Roads

<< < (272/280) > >>

Rothman:

--- Quote from: cockroachking on December 05, 2023, 12:29:02 AM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 04, 2023, 11:12:24 PM ---
--- Quote from: SignBridge on December 04, 2023, 08:37:45 PM ---
--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 04, 2023, 06:34:54 PM ---Christ the people that run NYC are loons.

https://gothamist.com/news/mayor-adams-vows-to-remove-parking-spots-from-1000-nyc-intersections-every-year

--- End quote ---

Ya' gotta understand that New York City traffic and parking conditions are far more dense than you have in Los Angeles. Much as I'd hate to see NYC lose much needed street parking spaces, improving visibility at intersections is a good idea, especially on narrow streets in many densely packed neighborhoods.

--- End quote ---
This seems a little bit to the extreme though. Maybe in some areas this is warranted. But just having a program that arbitrarily says we’re going to remove x amount of parking spaces near each intersection every so often?

--- End quote ---
Personally, I would rather sacrifice parking over human lives...

--- End quote ---
How radical.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Plutonic Panda on December 04, 2023, 06:34:54 PM ---Christ the people that run NYC are loons.

https://gothamist.com/news/mayor-adams-vows-to-remove-parking-spots-from-1000-nyc-intersections-every-year

--- End quote ---

Ya' gotta understand that New York City traffic and parking conditions are far more dense than you have in Los Angeles. Much as I'd hate to see NYC lose much needed street parking spaces, improving visibility at intersections is a good idea, especially on narrow streets in many densely packed neighborhoods.

--- End quote ---
This seems a little bit to the extreme though. Maybe in some areas this is warranted. But just having a program that arbitrarily says we’re going to remove x amount of parking spaces near each intersection every so often?

--- End quote ---
The aim is actually improving intersection visibility.  The article is focusing on the parking to sensationalize it since they're against it.

It's like the articles that came out before Thanksgiving with headlines along the lines of "speed cameras coming to I-84" making it look like there was some new program to ticket everyone on that road, when in actuality one of the work zones on it was getting the work zone speed limit cameras (a program that's been operating all year) that week.

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: Rothman on December 05, 2023, 10:47:44 AM ---
--- Quote from: cockroachking on December 05, 2023, 12:29:02 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Personally, I would rather sacrifice parking over human lives...

--- End quote ---
How radical.

--- End quote ---
Let’s ban every car in the US. It’ll stop all traffic deaths. Anyone who dares question that we respond with a snarky “how radical.”

Plutonic Panda:

--- Quote from: vdeane on December 05, 2023, 12:57:42 PM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
The aim is actually improving intersection visibility.  The article is focusing on the parking to sensationalize it since they're against it.

It's like the articles that came out before Thanksgiving with headlines along the lines of "speed cameras coming to I-84" making it look like there was some new program to ticket everyone on that road, when in actuality one of the work zones on it was getting the work zone speed limit cameras (a program that's been operating all year) that week.

--- End quote ---
I’m against all automated traffic enforcement with the exception of school and work zones.

Everything else you’re saying can be done without removing some arbitrary number of cars per month from intersections. That just reeks as a political talking point pandering to the anti car crowd and doesn’t come off as simply improving intersection visibility. From the rendering in the article goes way too far back from the intersection.

Alps:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
I'm in full agreement. This is NYC. People routinely cross for the entire green and you must wedge your way through to turn. Pedestrians are everywhere and very visible. There is absolutely NO cause to do what NYC is proposing except make it harder for cars to exist. So, fine, I'll take my money elsewhere where I'm allowed to drive.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version