News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Utica NY Road Enthusiast Meet III - New Date: July 18, 2020

Started by baugh17, November 13, 2019, 09:50:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Please select what day(s) would be best to reschedule the Utica meet.

July 11
6 (54.5%)
July 18
10 (90.9%)
July 25
7 (63.6%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: May 31, 2020, 05:50:57 PM

Brandon

Quote from: vdeane on March 20, 2020, 09:01:04 PM
Well, this meet is now dependent on things improving by May 9 to happen.  Cuomo just banned all non-essential gatherings.
https://www.news10.com/news/governor-to-give-update-at-1030-a-m/

Best thing you guys can do with Cuomo is to toss him out and rename the bridge back to "Tappan Zee".
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

bandit957

Quote from: Brandon on March 20, 2020, 09:28:06 PM
Well, this meet is now dependent on things improving by May 9 to happen.  Cuomo just banned all non-essential gatherings.

Best thing you guys can do with Cuomo is to toss him out and rename the bridge back to "Tappan Zee".

I think the best thing to do is just keep having these meets. These are essentially private gatherings.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

vdeane

I couldn't find the original article I read it from, but one I read mentioned that it pertained to both public and private gatherings (even things like family), including the phrase "for any reason".
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

bandit957

Quote from: vdeane on March 20, 2020, 09:42:57 PM
I couldn't find the original article I read it from, but one I read mentioned that it pertained to both public and private gatherings (even things like family), including the phrase "for any reason".

Well, they can say whatever they want. This is a constitutional issue.

Alps

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 09:44:59 PM

It's true. They cannot stop us from meeting. But I think most of us are not going to want to meet under these circumstances.

bandit957

Quote from: Alps on March 20, 2020, 11:06:05 PM
It's true. They cannot stop us from meeting. But I think most of us are not going to want to meet under these circumstances.

Call me weird, but I'm actually much more likely to attend meets now than I was before the pandemic. Of course, I can't hold a gun to people's heads and force them to attend.

Rothman

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 11:31:47 PM

Call me weird, but I'm actually much more likely to attend meets now than I was before the pandemic. Of course, I can't hold a gun to people's heads and force them to attend.
You'll exercise your right to assemble and spread the pandemic, 'cause 'Murrica!
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dgolub

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 09:44:59 PM

This is not the time to mess around.  We should postpone the meet if things don't improve between now and then.

cl94

Quote from: dgolub on March 21, 2020, 08:44:05 AM
This is not the time to mess around.  We should postpone the meet if things don't improve between now and then.

This. It should be noted that even the people who hate Cuomo in this state are generally supportive of the ban on nonessential gatherings, as is the federal government. I'm fine hunkering down for a few weeks if it saves hundreds of thousands of American lives, which this thing would take if it continues on the current trajectory.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SSOWorld

Quote from: bandit957 on March 20, 2020, 09:03:23 PM

Roadmeets are essential.
Try explaining it to the following:
* your employer who you get a 2-week quarantine order from
* your caretakers (pets, kids, whatever) - who won't let you near them for same said 2 weeks
* name anything else.

This is your opinion, Tim.  but IMO - road meets are not essential but don't just plain cancel them yet - wait a while - if early April rolls around and shit's still hitting the fan, baugh and others will want to consider it.  Your meet's later than this one, so you have plenty of time.  Wait until late April before mulling it over.  I have not done anything to the La Crosse meet despite the community spread alert because it's not til August - that is a long time from now.  I would not expect any June or July meet to be called yet - even if one is in a "Shelter-in-place" state.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

My personal opinion is that most of this blows over either next week or the week after, and things start getting back to normal. (And yes, I've heard all the doomsday prophets who are saying otherwise.)

It doesn't help that Tim lives right on the border of two states that have ordered businesses to close -- in Kentucky, the governor ordered churches not to have services; I don't know if he understands the First Amendment ramifications of that -- and public gatherings are banned. Private gatherings are not prohibited, however; and I don't know how a picnic meal would be addressed unless the governor orders parks to close.

In this instance, I'd wait until about a week out and see what the situation is. Most hotels are being extremely lenient about canceling reservations with all that's going on. I decided to cancel my WV meet a few years ago a week out because I was unsure of my health situation, but I know several came anyway and used the itinerary I had published.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bandit957

Quote from: hbelkins on March 21, 2020, 09:57:56 PM
My personal opinion is that most of this blows over either next week or the week after, and things start getting back to normal. (And yes, I've heard all the doomsday prophets who are saying otherwise.)

It won't be that quick, but it'll peak when there's not many people left to infect. The way it's spreading, that won't be long.

I can tolerate limits on certain businesses for now, but it can't go on forever. If restaurants are still closed on May 30, my meet will include a picnic.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alps

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2020, 12:40:06 AM
Who wants to bet that HB's right?
I wouldn't. It's a minimum 2-4 weeks of heavy restrictions before we reassess.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: Alps on March 22, 2020, 01:35:37 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2020, 12:40:06 AM
Who wants to bet that HB's right?
I wouldn't. It's a minimum 2-4 weeks of heavy restrictions before we reassess.

I'm not expecting to be able to make a decision about Outer Banks until April 15 or so.

To H.B.'s point about the Kentucky governor banning church services from being held and how it violates the First Amendment, Kentucky is far from the only state that is banning gatherings for the interest of public health.

Public health and the containment of this outbreak are of utmost importance right now.  Road meets are non-essential, and like Scott Onson says, we've got plenty of time before some of these meets take place to assess the situation closer to the scheduled dates for these meets.
-A.J. from Michigan

Rothman

We must protect our religious and constitutional right to spread the virus!

Glad I belong to a religion that shut down meetings early on.

74/171FAN

Quote from: Rothman on March 22, 2020, 11:29:57 AM
We must protect our religious and constitutional right to spread the virus!

Glad I belong to a religion that shut down meetings early on.

Many churches (including mine) have decided to gather online.  Any churches that are already livestreaming their services should have an easy transition to doing it online only.  (and even those that do not can most likely get the technology quickly to upload a YouTube video of a message)

Besides, many services were also cancelled during the 1918 Spanish flu pandemic so there is precedent for this.  I agree with Rothman in that closing churches is a smart move to combat the virus.

We should really stop here before this thread derails even further off-topic.

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

webny99

Quote from: hbelkins on March 21, 2020, 09:57:56 PM
My personal opinion is that most of this blows over either next week or the week after, and things start getting back to normal.

A recession is inevitable, so it certainly won't be pre-March 11th normal. It will be a new kind of normal, and it will likely take more than a few weeks to figure out what that new normal will be, and just how much damage has been done to the economy.

Signs of "returning to normal" that I'll be looking for:

-Schools reopening
-Offices reopening
-Sports leagues restarting
-Traffic levels increasing

IMO, it depends on what state you're in, but in NY at least, all of those things are a few weeks away at minimum. Maybe a month would be more realistic. Keep in mind too that the coronavirus cases that are being reported today are the result of transmission a week or up to two weeks ago, before shutdowns, social distancing, and staying home became the norm.

LM117

Quote from: hbelkins on March 21, 2020, 09:57:56 PMin Kentucky, the governor ordered churches not to have services; I don't know if he understands the First Amendment ramifications of that

I doubt the courts would have a problem with it. The measure is temporary, it doesn't single out a particular religion (that's what SCOTUS has always looked for), and it's not like people are forbidden from practicing their religion altogether. They just have to do it privately for the time being. Churches in my area have already started cancelling their services voluntarily.
“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

baugh17

Hey, everyone!  I wanted to update everyone on the status of next month's Utica Road Enthusiast Meet III since tomorrow marks one month from our originally scheduled date.  At the moment, Governor Cuomo has New York state "on pause" through at least April 29...about a week and a half from the meet.  I had originally planned to use a weekend this month to scout out the tour route and use that information to come up with a game plan for the meet.  But, like many, I'm making every effort to stay home as much as possible (My job currently has me working from home, so I'm able to limit my trips out to once a week or once every other week).  I want to hold out hope on having the meet on May 9 as long as possible.  But I think it would be in everyone's best interest that I postpone the meet.  I am not setting a new date at this time.  I want to see how everything plays out in the next few weeks.  It's my hope that I can have this meet after everything blows over, ideally in June or July while there's still construction going on in downtown Utica.  I'll keep you posted and will let you know when a new date has been set.  Until then, please continue to be safe and I hope to see you all at some point.

A.J. Bertin

Quote from: baugh17 on April 08, 2020, 09:17:33 PM
Hey, everyone!  I wanted to update everyone on the status of next month's Utica Road Enthusiast Meet III since tomorrow marks one month from our originally scheduled date.  At the moment, Governor Cuomo has New York state "on pause" through at least April 29...about a week and a half from the meet.  I had originally planned to use a weekend this month to scout out the tour route and use that information to come up with a game plan for the meet.  But, like many, I'm making every effort to stay home as much as possible (My job currently has me working from home, so I'm able to limit my trips out to once a week or once every other week).  I want to hold out hope on having the meet on May 9 as long as possible.  But I think it would be in everyone's best interest that I postpone the meet.  I am not setting a new date at this time.  I want to see how everything plays out in the next few weeks.  It's my hope that I can have this meet after everything blows over, ideally in June or July while there's still construction going on in downtown Utica.  I'll keep you posted and will let you know when a new date has been set.  Until then, please continue to be safe and I hope to see you all at some point.

This sounds like the right decision to make.  One thing to keep in mind is that, to my understanding, Brandon Gorte is still planning on hosting his meet in Illinois on June 27.  I just thought I'd mention that in case you'd like to avoid having your meet on the same day.
-A.J. from Michigan

baugh17

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 09, 2020, 07:28:27 AM
This sounds like the right decision to make.  One thing to keep in mind is that, to my understanding, Brandon Gorte is still planning on hosting his meet in Illinois on June 27.  I just thought I'd mention that in case you'd like to avoid having your meet on the same day.

I am taking that into consideration (I actually have another commitment on 6/27).  I do have a list of possible dates in mind...not making anything public right now.

dgolub

Quote from: A.J. Bertin on April 09, 2020, 07:28:27 AM
Quote from: baugh17 on April 08, 2020, 09:17:33 PM

Definitely the right call.  At this point, if the meet winds up being this year, it'll probably be a day trip for me since I'm not going to any hotels until we're well past this.  It's unfortunate since I was looking forward to using the trip to check out Lake Ontario and/or the Thousand Islands, but I guess that that will have to wait.

vdeane

It's hard to say when things will open up, but I think it's safe to say from Cuomo's mandatory face mask executive order from today that dine-in service at restaurants will probably be one of the last things to come back.  Even the take-out and eat together at a park idea probably would be hard to work if everyone is supposed to wear a mask unless far from other people (can't eat with the mask on, after all).  This might need to be tour-only similar to how New River Gorge was.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

TonyTrafficLight

Oneida County had another bad day on 4/22 with 20 new cases here. I don't see it getting better for a while.
Once it gets better hopefully we can reschedule it. Looking forward to meeting some new guys.
I like signals I guess

https://tonytrafficlight.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.