News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 22, 2023, 09:47:50 PM
Again, the Cowboys lose a winnable game in one of the most boneheaded, excruciating manners possible.

They just got out played and out coached by a better team.  What I don't get is why anyone expects something different out of the Cowboys?

plain

As a Giants fan, the Cowboys did last longer than us. By 1 day  :-D

Welcome to the couch.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jmacswimmer

Wow - With the conference championship matchups set, 3 of the 4 teams are returning from last year (with PHL "replacing"  LAR compared to last year).

I was half-expecting DAL-SFO to come down to a Maher kick - after his only XP was blocked (and it looked like a low wobbler leaning left prior to the block on replay), he did make his 2 FG attempts.
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 22, 2023, 09:56:39 PM
Again, the Cowboys lose a winnable game in one of the most boneheaded, excruciating manners possible.

They just got out played and out coached by a better team.  What I don't get is why anyone expects something different out of the Cowboys?
1) people hate them, and 2) it's the style of the game that gives people the illusion that it should have gone differently. If the final was 35-28 - also a 7 point margin - we'd be talking about how great the Niners are. There would still be the usual trolling of the Cowboys, but the overall narrative would be "hard fought and well-played game by both teams" . But at 19-12, it's "Dallas totally choked and San Fran didn't" .

The "points fallacy"  is going to get bigger and bigger until people realize that this is the direction the league is going in. Every single winner this weekend won time of possession, first downs, and the turnover battle in their game. Only 2 of 17 touchdowns were from beyond 20 yards, and none were from beyond 40. Points per team per game has decreased two years in a row. Pass yards per game, per completion, and per attempt have all decreased two years in a row. Most rushing stats have increased this year, which correlates with more time-consuming drives, fewer possessions per game, fewer points. The increased success of QB sneaks has made 4th and 1 from inside the opponent's 40 a basically automatic decision to go for it, and more and more teams are trying their luck from further 4th downs as well. This extends drives when they convert, and often pins opponents deep in their own territory when they don't.

It was nice to see a Cowboys playoff win this year. Once again fans will call for the team to be blown up and rebuilt, which is simply a bad take. The team is too good for that. Ran into arguably the best team in the league, on an 11-game win streak, in the divisional. Tough. Dak didn't play well, but using "he got beat by a 7th rounder"  as a reason for moving off him is braindead. Purdy is the most promising late round QB since Brady and he's with the most complete roster in the league. "Tanking for a chance at a Super Bowl"  makes zero sense when they're already closer to a Super Bowl than 80% of the teams in the league, just by getting to the divisional and having a solid young roster. Need a WR in the draft.

Chiefs, Bengals, and Niners in the final four again, with the Eagles replacing the Rams. Unlike last year there's no flukes here. Obviously everyone will be rooting against the Chiefs since they're probably the least interesting storyline.

thspfc

Quote from: jmacswimmer on January 22, 2023, 10:11:48 PM
Wow - With the conference championship matchups set, 3 of the 4 teams are returning from last year (with PHL "replacing"  LAR compared to last year).

I was half-expecting DAL-SFO to come down to a Maher kick - after his only XP was blocked (and it looked like a low wobbler leaning left prior to the block on replay), he did make his 2 FG attempts.
The first FG felt like a touchdown. The second was nice but I felt they should have gone for it. Happy for Maher.

jeffandnicole

HOW BOUT DEM COWBOYS!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on January 22, 2023, 10:42:51 PM

1) people hate them, and 2) it's the style of the game that gives people the illusion that it should have gone differently. If the final was 35-28 - also a 7 point margin - we'd be talking about how great the Niners are. There would still be the usual trolling of the Cowboys, but the overall narrative would be "hard fought and well-played game by both teams" . But at 19-12, it's "Dallas totally choked and San Fran didn't" .

The "points fallacy"  is going to get bigger and bigger until people realize that this is the direction the league is going in. Every single winner this weekend won time of possession and the turnover battle in their game. Only 2 of 17 touchdowns were from beyond 20 yards, and none were from beyond 40. Points per team per game has decreased two years in a row. Pass yards per game, per completion, and per attempt have all decreased two years in a row. Most rushing stats have increased this year, which correlates with more time-consuming drives, fewer possessions per game, fewer points. The increased success of QB sneaks has made 4th and 1 from inside the opponent's 40 a basically automatic decision to go for it, and more and more teams are trying their luck from further 4th downs as well. This extends drives when they convert, and often pins opponents deep in their own territory when they don't.

It was nice to see a Cowboys playoff win this year. Once again fans will call for the team to be blown up and rebuilt, which is simply a bad take. The team is too good for that. Ran into arguably the best team in the league, on an 11-game win streak, in the divisional. Tough. Dak didn't play well, but using "he got beat by a 7th rounder"  as a reason for moving off him is braindead. Purdy is the most promising late round QB since Brady and he's with the most complete roster in the league. "Tanking for a chance at a Super Bowl"  makes zero sense when they're already closer to a Super Bowl than 80% of the teams in the league, just by getting to the divisional and having a solid young roster. Need a WR in the draft.

Chiefs, Bengals, and Niners in the final four again, with the Eagles replacing the Rams. Unlike last year there's no flukes here. Obviously everyone will be rooting against the Chiefs since they're probably the least interesting storyline.

So, basically we are going to continue with the delusion that the Cowboys are something greater than a team that just regularly makes the playoffs?   I don't recall saying Dallas choked, I said they were out played and out coached by a better team.

jeffandnicole

So, as a season ticket holder for the Eagles, we have the option to 'opt in' for playoff game charges (I imagine most season ticket holders take this option). The Eagles will charge the credit card only after it is known they'll play a game.  For next week's NFC Championship game, my card was hit up this morning.  One of the few charges I'm happy to see!

I sold off my Divisional Round game, and whoever bought them was treated to a great win yesterday.  I will be going to Sunday's game.  I'll be there early - probably between 6 & 7am, ready to tailgate until about 2pm, when we'll start heading to the stadium for the 3pm kickoff. 

While I'll love to believe the Eagles will be the favorites to win, both teams are the best of the best in the NFL.  Looking forward to the game, and hoping for a win to advance to the big game!

thspfc

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on January 22, 2023, 10:50:33 PM

The "points fallacy"  is going to get bigger and bigger until people realize that this is the direction the league is going in. Every single winner this weekend won time of possession and the turnover battle in their game. Only 2 of 17 touchdowns were from beyond 20 yards, and none were from beyond 40. Points per team per game has decreased two years in a row. Pass yards per game, per completion, and per attempt have all decreased two years in a row. Most rushing stats have increased this year, which correlates with more time-consuming drives, fewer possessions per game, fewer points. The increased success of QB sneaks has made 4th and 1 from inside the opponent's 40 a basically automatic decision to go for it, and more and more teams are trying their luck from further 4th downs as well. This extends drives when they convert, and often pins opponents deep in their own territory when they don't.

So, basically we are going to continue with the delusion that the Cowboys are something greater than a team that just regularly makes the playoffs?   I don't recall saying Dallas choked, I said they were out played and out coached by a better team.
Which is true. I will admit that I drank some kool-aid after the Cowboys/Vikings game, which was a mixture of overreacting to the game and overrating the team they beat. But yes, they were outplayed and outcoached by a better team. The trolling is because everyone hates them, not because they were supposed to win.

webny99

What team was a fluke last year? The real fluke in the AFC was the Titans getting the 1 seed, which meant Bills-Chiefs was a divisional game. Rams weren't a fluke. Could maybe argue the 49ers.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2023, 11:11:30 PM

What team was a fluke last year? The real fluke in the AFC was the Titans getting the 1 seed, which meant Bills-Chiefs was a divisional game. Rams weren't a fluke. Could maybe argue the 49ers.
49ers for sure and I think the Bengals had a very unconvincing run to the AFC title game. They showed they deserved it by beating the Chiefs, but before that, they were very hot and cold during the regular season, 8-6 at Christmas, and they narrowly beat a mediocre Raiders team and a fraudulent Titans team.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on January 22, 2023, 11:17:15 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2023, 11:11:30 PM

49ers for sure and I think the Bengals had a very unconvincing run to the AFC title game. They showed they deserved it by beating the Chiefs, but before that, they were very hot and cold during the regular season, 8-6 at Christmas, and they narrowly beat a mediocre Raiders team and a fraudulent Titans team.

Yes, but that's a function of the seeding. Once the divisional round was set, either the Bengals or Titans were guaranteed to be in the title game.

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2023, 07:02:52 PM
Ironically enough, the Bills' end to the season was very Vikings-esque in one particular way, pertaining to their season as a whole. Curious if anyone picks up on what I mean by that. Otherwise, I'll check back in a few weeks if I've found anything worthwhile to say.

Vikings of the AFC, I'm assuming. Four Superbowl visits, all losses. And numerous playoff failures.

US 89

In terms of who I want to see win the Superb Owl:

1) Bengals
2) 49ers
3) Chiefs
4) Eagles

I know way too many annoying Eagles fans. The only time I've ever actively rooted for them was when they won the Super Bowl with backup Nick Foles (and it helped that that was against the Patriots). I have no problem with the Chiefs but would be happy to see someone else win.

kurumi

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 22, 2023, 09:51:59 PM
Have some Doritos!

<snip blue bag of Nacho Year>

I haven't had Doritos in a while; but the blue bag (and that final play) has me thinking the flavor is Fool Ranch
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

jgb191

It was gut-wrenching seeing the only team we had was left in our humble division, talking about Jacksonville, self-destruct like that (can't turn the ball over twice like that and still live to play another week).

On the very bright side: peace is once again restored here in my native Texas homeland (and the rest of America for that matter) thanks to the NINERS!! :clap:

So I believe it's 27 years down, another 81 more years to go before the Cowboys tie the Cubs' 108-year drought record....we're already a quarter-way there (cause, you know, 27 times four equals 108).

Thankfully, I was way too young to remember the last time Jerry Jones held the Lombardi Trophy.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

I think it's because the Cowboys are allegedly "America's Team" , with the Everything's Bigger in Texas aura that is like drawing moths to a flame. In this way, they're like the Lakers, the Yankees and (sigh) at least one Boston sports franchise. Lots of money, lots of talent, which don't always translate to wins (anymore), and the schadenfreude is irresistible.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jgb191 on January 23, 2023, 01:36:23 AM
It was gut-wrenching seeing the only team we had was left in our humble division, talking about Jacksonville, self-destruct like that (can't turn the ball over twice like that and still live to play another week).

If they turned it over 3 more times they would've had a shot to win!  :D

1995hoo

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on January 23, 2023, 08:00:05 AM

I think it's because the Cowboys are allegedly "America's Team" , with the Everything's Bigger in Texas aura that is like drawing moths to a flame. In this way, they're like the Lakers, the Yankees and (sigh) at least one Boston sports franchise. Lots of money, lots of talent, which don't always translate to wins (anymore), and the schadenfreude is irresistible.

Something else, at least for those of us in the DC area, is that Dallas fans act like their team is some sort of superpower, but their playoff history over the last 30 years isn't really all that much better than Washington's is in the overall scheme of things. Yes, Dallas won Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX, this after not having done anything since making it to the 1982 NFC Championship Game (where they lost to the Redskins), but then, Washington was a powerhouse from 1982—1991 when Dallas was down (playing in four Super Bowls, winning three, and losing in one other NFC Championship Game), so the two sort of cancel each other out in that respect. As was noted on the FOX broadcast last night, Dallas hasn't made it to the NFC Championship Game since they won Super Bowl XXX; similarly, Washington hasn't made it that far since they won Super Bowl XXVI. Neither franchise has much to brag about over the past quarter-century. Yet somehow, Dallas fans would have you think they're a mighty juggernaut.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

ethanhopkin14

As a Cowboys fan that doesn't really get why everyone gets so much pleasure out of making fun of the Cowboys fans getting their hopes up only to watch them lose in the playoffs....I am no different than any other fan of any other team in the NFL.  We all start the season off thinking this is our year.  We all want our teams to win every Sunday.  We all want our teams to keep winning if they make the playoffs.  Is someone going to tell me that some fans of other teams say, "Nah, I'm taking this year off, I hope they lose every game."?  Do Lions fans just expect to be crappy every year?  Do Giants fans at the start of the season say, "most of the time we are mediocre or bad, and then we have one good year....I'm not thinking this is the good year, I hope they lose"?  No, every fan of every fan base wants their team to win.  Thats why they are fans.   

It isn't so much we "expect something different from the Cowboys", it's just I am a fan of the team, so I am going to root for them, even though going into the game I had very little hope the Cowboys would even be competitive in that game.  It's what I do.  If I was a Cardinals fan, I would root for them every week and be sad when they lose.  It's called being a fan. 

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 23, 2023, 08:35:53 AM

Something else, at least for those of us in the DC area, is that Dallas fans act like their team is some sort of superpower, but their playoff history over the last 30 years isn't really all that much better than Washington's is in the overall scheme of things. Yes, Dallas won Super Bowls XXVII, XXVIII, and XXX, this after not having done anything since making it to the 1982 NFC Championship Game (where they lost to the Redskins), but then, Washington was a powerhouse from 1982—1991 when Dallas was down (playing in four Super Bowls, winning three, and losing in one other NFC Championship Game), so the two sort of cancel each other out in that respect. As was noted on the FOX broadcast last night, Dallas hasn't made it to the NFC Championship Game since they won Super Bowl XXX; similarly, Washington hasn't made it that far since they won Super Bowl XXVI. Neither franchise has much to brag about over the past quarter-century. Yet somehow, Dallas fans would have you think they're a mighty juggernaut.

I don't know of these Cowboys fans.  Me and my friends who are all Cowboys fans look at each other and say "1996" and start laughing, because we know that was the last time the Cowboys truly did anything except show up in the playoffs every other year and continually not make it past the divisional round.  There is zero arrogance about it.  We make fun of the franchise of being so inept for years despite having talented teams.  We all remember where we were and what we were doing the last time the Cowboys made it to the NFC Championship game.  Since then, it was Barry taking his gun to the airport, Chan Gailey and his crap, Dave Compost staring at the clock wanting the game to be over, the Bill Parcells experiment (which he almost turned it around had he not quit), the Son of Bum and his mediocrity and the The Clapper.  It's been one coaching disaster after another from a franchise who for the first 28 seasons had one coach.  The Cowboys fans I know are frustrated and agitated.  Sure, we like to remember the good ol days, but again, what franchise doesn't.  I would hope the Patriots fans think about the Brady years fondly and not think back fondly of their most current season. 

We don't think the Cowboys are royalty like everyone thinks.  We know how irrelevant they have been.  Believe me, it's agonizing. 

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on January 22, 2023, 11:41:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on January 22, 2023, 07:02:52 PM
Ironically enough, the Bills' end to the season was very Vikings-esque in one particular way, pertaining to their season as a whole. Curious if anyone picks up on what I mean by that. Otherwise, I'll check back in a few weeks if I've found anything worthwhile to say.

Vikings of the AFC, I'm assuming. Four Superbowl visits, all losses. And numerous playoff failures.

Yes, I absolutely believe that's true in the big picture, but I was referring to a specific irony of the way this season ended for both teams.

jeffandnicole

The "America's Team" label mostly appeared to originate from a single sentence on an NFL Films highlight film.  NFL Films was the main way people were able to follow the NFL nationally on local broadcasts in the 70's and 80's, before ESPN started taking over the way people got their sports news.

Jerry Jones was probably a better promotor of his team than most other owners.  Dallas wasn't exactly a city where people lived, then left, growing their fanbase.  Dallas instead was a city that won several Superbowls in the 1980's when the Superbowl really started becoming the nation's premiere matchup, maybe even more so than during the Steelers empire in the 70's.

Not only did the game draw in men to watch, but the commercials starting taking on a life of their own, drawing in women and making the game a family and party affair, which some people joke should be a national holiday.  And to that, it does get a lot more people together than other actual national holidays, so there is some truth to that.

Washington, while they had their good years, has an awful owner that deteriorated that team's fanbase into shreads of its former self.  And when you can't get a local fanbase to support a team, it's hard to get a national fanbase to support a team.  It doesn't help that Washington fans, if they want to join another fanbase, only need to drive a few miles up the road to Baltimore, or continue on another 90 minutes to Philly, or another 90 minutes to the Meadowlands.  Around Dallas, people within 3 hours of Arlington have barely encroached on the Texan's fanbase.

NFL Films, ironically, was (and still is) headquartered in Mt. Laurel, NJ, just outside of Philly.  Baseball's Philadelphia Phillies main broadcaster for several decades including the 1980's, Harry Kalas, did a lot of narrating for NFL Films' productions.  So there's a little sting that Dallas got that nod as "America's Team"!

They were also noted for their rivalries with the Giants, Redskins & Eagles.  Giants and Redskins because they had all of their Superbowl wins.  Eagles, because, well, they just wanted one.  When the league did the major realignment many years ago, there was widespread agreement to keep the Cowboys in the NFC East because of the long-standing rivalries, even though geographically it didn't make much sense.  Of all the issues the NFL has, very few true fans have any issues with this to this day.  (Clickbait websites will try to create an issue with this, but that's what they do.)

1995hoo

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on January 23, 2023, 08:56:10 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on January 23, 2023, 08:35:53 AM

I don't know of these Cowboys fans.  Me and my friends who are all Cowboys fans look at each other and say "1996" and start laughing, because we know that was the last time the Cowboys truly did anything except show up in the playoffs every other year and continually not make it past the divisional round.  There is zero arrogance about it.  We make fun of the franchise of being so inept for years despite having talented teams.  We all remember where we were and what we were doing the last time the Cowboys made it to the NFC Championship game.  Since then, it was Barry taking his gun to the airport, Chan Gailey and his crap, Dave Compost staring at the clock wanting the game to be over, the Bill Parcells experiment (which he almost turned it around had he not quit), the Son of Bum and his mediocrity and the The Clapper.  It's been one coaching disaster after another from a franchise who for the first 28 seasons had one coach.  The Cowboys fans I know are frustrated and agitated.  Sure, we like to remember the good ol days, but again, what franchise doesn't.  I would hope the Patriots fans think about the Brady years fondly and not think back fondly of their most current season. 

We don't think the Cowboys are royalty like everyone thinks.  We know how irrelevant they have been.  Believe me, it's agonizing. 

I don't doubt your location is part of the issue. Your profile says you live in Austin. I have no doubt the prevailing attitude there is quite different than it is elsewhere. I've noticed a phenomenon, and it's hardly unique to Dallas fans, where a given team's "diaspora" fans feel the need to be overly vocal about calling attention to their team and themselves and also tend to inflate their team's performance far more than it really deserves. (No doubt this may be all the more noticeable to those of us living in the DC area because the government presence here means there are a lot of people from elsewhere who root for other teams. For some reason teams from Buffalo and Pittsburgh have a lot of fans here.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

The Cowboys could be considered the luckiest franchise in the NFL. When the NFL and AFL merged in 1970, there were five different options for organizing the NFC into divisions. Only one of the five grouped the Cowboys with the huge markets in NY, Philly and DC, and that's the one that got drawn. That undoubtedly improved their exposure.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.