News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Alps on July 06, 2020, 03:03:26 PM
I sincerely hope you catch it

Really?  You actually hope he gets COVID?  I hadn't visited this thread until now, and this is what I see when I finally do hop in?  (I had clicked on the thread by mistake a few times but that's about it.)

I'd report this post to the moderators for violating the "harassing or insulting remarks towards another member" guideline, but, well...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on July 06, 2020, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 06, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 06, 2020, 12:22:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 05, 2020, 10:43:32 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 05, 2020, 08:08:32 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 05, 2020, 07:12:00 AM

If it is as easily spread, including by those who are assymtomatic, and deadly as this is...yes.
Asymptomatic is what I think you meant to say.

Nope. Given his attitude, especially toward those who aren't as fearful about the corona cooties as he is, I'd say his spelling was intentional.
Have cooties killed 534 thousand people in the US alone?

That's a a worldwide total...

Also, how many of them were people in their 80s or 90s, serious heart condition, high blood pressure, late stage cancer and all sorts of other serious maladies and died, after which they did a blood test?  YES, he died from The Virus™!   :-o

Mike

Doesn't matter if they were going to die next week or next month or next year from something else. If they had the virus, and died from anything other than traumatic injuries, the virus is considered a cause of death. That's how medicine works with this virus or any other virus or bacteria. If you want medicine to change long standing practices to enhance your personal political cause, then just say that's what you want.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

formulanone

Quote from: mgk920 on July 06, 2020, 11:44:39 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 06, 2020, 07:42:34 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 06, 2020, 12:22:30 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on July 05, 2020, 10:43:32 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on July 05, 2020, 08:08:32 AM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 05, 2020, 07:12:00 AM

If it is as easily spread, including by those who are assymtomatic, and deadly as this is...yes.
Asymptomatic is what I think you meant to say.

Nope. Given his attitude, especially toward those who aren't as fearful about the corona cooties as he is, I'd say his spelling was intentional.
Have cooties killed 534 thousand people in the US alone?

That's a a worldwide total...

Also, how many of them were people in their 80s or 90s, serious heart condition, high blood pressure, late stage cancer and all sorts of other serious maladies and died, after which they did a blood test?  YES, he died from The Virus™!   :-o

Mike
I sincerely hope you catch it so that you can determine for yourself how dangerous it is.

we all know better than that

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kphoger on July 06, 2020, 03:19:33 PM

Really?  You actually hope he gets COVID?  I hadn't visited this thread until now, and this is what I see when I finally do hop in?  (I had clicked on the thread by mistake a few times but that's about it.)

I'd report this post to the moderators for violating the "harassing or insulting remarks towards another member" guideline, but, well...
I don't really believe that Alps was being totally serious. Since mgk920 said that the virus is no big deal, Alps is kinda implying that he's shouldn't be scared to catch it. A bit snarky, but whatever.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 06, 2020, 03:44:36 PM

I don't really believe that Alps was being totally serious. Since mgk920 said that the virus is no big deal, Alps is kinda implying that he's shouldn't be scared to catch it. A bit snarky, but whatever.

People don't misuse "sincerely" the way they misuse "literally".
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: ftballfan on July 06, 2020, 10:14:35 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on July 06, 2020, 06:45:21 AM
Here's a really weird one. Last night, Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, TX was supposed to run a 9-race card, including a bunch of stakes races. They ran Race 1, then after a 55-minute delay, canceled Races 2—9 "out of an abundance of caution due to COVID-19" and postponed the rest of their meet indefinitely.

What the heck was that about?
I'm guessing one of the following:
1. A government order came down after race 1
2. A jockey or trainer of a horse in Race 2 (or a later race) must have developed flu-like symptoms

I'm guessing it's #2, since if it were #1 I'd imagine that the track would say so in their cancellation message. Could have been someone other than a jockey or trainer; there's a lot of people involved in staging a race. Could have been an outrider or steward, for instance.

It's also possible that someone higher up (the chain of command at LSP is...complex) made a decision that didn't get relayed to the track until it was too late to cancel Race 1.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

Quote from: Scott5114 on July 06, 2020, 06:45:21 AM
Here's a really weird one. Last night, Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie, TX was supposed to run a 9-race card, including a bunch of stakes races. They ran Race 1, then after a 55-minute delay, canceled Races 2—9 "out of an abundance of caution due to COVID-19" and postponed the rest of their meet indefinitely.

What the heck was that about?

Kentucky postponed (later canceled) its girls state high school basketball tournament back in March after the first game of a two-game afternoon session. There was nothing to indicate that any participant or spectator had tested positive. The teams playing in the second game were getting ready to come out on the floor for warmups when the announcement was made.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Hey, they actually ran the F1 Austrian Grand Prix with no spectators.

I'm not sure if exact numbers are kept, but the race at Phoenix in 1989 boasted about 10,000 in paid attendance.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: formulanone on July 06, 2020, 07:38:00 PM

I'm not sure if exact numbers are kept, but the race at Phoenix in 1989 boasted about 10,000 in paid attendance.

F1 keeps trying to get a footprint in the American Market.  The style of racing just doesn't garner a following in the United States.  The races are more about which team has engineered the best car over driver performance.  The FIA has a bunch of fussy rules to boot which kind of make it lame experience if you're not into the cars.  At this point I'm not really even sure why they bother with an F1 race state side. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 06, 2020, 07:50:17 PM

F1 keeps trying to get a footprint in the American Market.  The style of racing just doesn't garner a following in the United States.  The races are more about which team has engineered the best car over driver performance.  The FIA has a bunch of fussy rules to boot which kind of make it lame experience if you're not into the cars.  At this point I'm not really even sure why they bother with an F1 race state side. 

Every style of racing is pretty much like that now.

Mercedes and Ferrari win 90% of the F1 races
Penske and Ganassi win 90% of the IndyCar races
Gibbs, Penske and Stewart-Haas win 90% of the NASCAR races

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 06, 2020, 08:58:16 PM

Cup Series has had 8 different winners in 16 races.  Most years in the last three/four decades see at least a dozen different race winners.  The Cup Races are down right thrillers compared to the typical pole winner running away with the field F1 Race.  Regard Indy Car that's been declining in relevance in motor sports since the IRL split from CART but still is a better show than F1. 

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on July 06, 2020, 09:55:47 PM

Cup Series has had 8 different winners in 16 races.  Most years in the last three/four decades see at least a dozen different race winners.  The Cup Races are down right thrillers compared to the typical pole winner running away with the field F1 Race.  Regard Indy Car that's been declining in relevance in motor sports since the IRL split from CART but still is a better show than F1. 

8 different winners in 16 races, but 14 of the 16 (88%) are from the three teams I mentioned. Proportional to the field sizes, just as predictable as the two open wheel series.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 06, 2020, 10:02:56 PM

8 different winners in 16 races, but 14 of the 16 (88%) are from the three teams I mentioned. Proportional to the field sizes, just as predictable as the two open wheel series.

And really that isn't different to most years since multi-car teams took off in the late 1990s. 

Alps

Quote from: 1 on July 06, 2020, 03:55:18 PM

Did you want me to say "literally?" I just want this whole damn thing to be over like the rest of us, except I recognize the value in us all taking precautions.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Alps on July 07, 2020, 12:39:35 AM

Did you want me to say "literally?" I just want this whole damn thing to be over like the rest of us, except I recognize the value in us all taking precautions.

And frankly it is extremely frustrating to see that people still don't have an understanding of what we are dealing with.  Look what is happening in Florida and Texas.  And people seriously think having 80,000+ people wandering around Lambeau Field pre-game, getting into the game, using the crowded bathrooms and hallways, and sitting shoulder-to-shoulder is no big deal?

I will be happy if I can watch the games from my couch, but if we don't start taking this seriously, we might not even get that.

kphoger

I can't speak for 1, but what I would prefer is for moderators to refrain from wishing forum members to contract a serious disease.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alps

Quote from: kphoger on July 07, 2020, 09:53:41 AM

I can't speak for 1, but what I would prefer is for moderators to refrain from wishing forum members to contract a serious disease.
I wish for everyone whatever they wish upon themselves and others

formulanone

F1 keeps trying to get a footprint in the American Market.  The style of racing just doesn’t garner a following in the United States.  The races are more about which team has engineered the best car over driver performance.  The FIA has a bunch of fussy rules to boot which kind of make it lame experience if you’re not into the cars.  At this point I’m not really even sure why they bother with an F1 race state side. 

Cup Series has had 8 different winners in 16 races.  Most years in the last three/four decades see at least a dozen different race winners.  The Cup Races are down right thrillers compared to the typical pole winner running away with the field F1 Race.  Regard Indy Car that’s been declining in relevance in motor sports since the IRL split from CART but still is a better show than F1. 

There's at least a dozen valid reasons F1 will never be dominant in America, but that's for another discussion. But they're all different thrills to me; I appreciate F1 for the ever-changing spectacle more than the rest, though there's not as much passing as an IndyCar or [sponsor] Cup Car race. I think as all of them tend to close loopholes, they always run the risk of making the events less enjoyable.

I think the Phoenix situation three decades ago also suffered from a severe lack of promotion (like being awarded the race from Detroit about six months before), though I don't think it was a recognized international destination that long ago. They probably thought a lot of Californians would make the trek out because they'd supported an even in Long Beach several years earlier. Having the first one in June wasn't the best of ideas!

I think a lot of the racing world's seasons are just going to be one big asterisk, with possible sudden event closures, seeing as how there's going to be illnesses and it's harder to keep so many individuals in a bubble, even without spectators. It's really back to square one, but with more PPE.

rickmastfan67

Looking like the next 'relocated' race in NASCAR will be the Watkins Glen race.  Rumors are the Daytona Road Course getting that date this year.

https://twitter.com/A_S12/status/1280540890755457024

hotdogPi

I wasn't saying that I agreed with Alps, only that he meant exactly what he said.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

mgk920

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 07, 2020, 12:45:43 PM
Looking like the next 'relocated' race in NASCAR will be the Watkins Glen race.  Rumors are the Daytona Road Course getting that date this year.

There was also some chatter around here (northeast Wisconsin) a few weeks ago about the potential for a 'Cup' race at Road America (annual?), near Elkhart Lake, WI, starting next year.  NASCAR has been running second tier races there for several years now.

Mike

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on July 07, 2020, 01:23:04 PM
I wasn't saying that I agreed with Alps, only that he meant exactly what he said.

I figured.  Just didn't want to put words in your mouth.
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on July 07, 2020, 01:32:08 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on July 07, 2020, 12:45:43 PM

There was also some chatter around here (northeast Wisconsin) a few weeks ago about the potential for a 'Cup' race at Road America (annual?), near Elkhart Lake, WI, starting next year.  NASCAR has been running second tier races there for several years now.

Mike

I wonder if the COVID-caused IndyCar/NASCAR doubleheader at Indy will lead to more planned dual weekends in the future, at least during the NBC half of the NASCAR season.

Tracks where both do/have run:
Homestead
Phoenix
Indy
Texas
Richmond
Kansas
Milwaukee
Michigan
Kentucky
Sonoma
Chicago
Watkins Glen
Fontana
Pocono

Probably more as well but IndyCar schedules have changed a lot over the years and I didn't check every year.

SEWIGuy

Milwaukee has never run a NASCAR Cup race.  Just a second tier and truck races.  But those stopped over a decade ago as I recall.  Indy hasn't run there is years as well.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on July 07, 2020, 02:29:34 PM
Milwaukee has never run a NASCAR Cup race.  Just a second tier and truck races.  But those stopped over a decade ago as I recall.  Indy hasn't run there is years as well.

That always surprises me that Cup never ran at the Milwaukee Mile considering it's one of the oldest race tracks in the country.  Cup used to run races inside Soldier Field, maybe they thought Milwaukee was too close for another event?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.