News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 21, 2020, 05:22:57 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 21, 2020, 02:46:49 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 21, 2020, 02:44:23 PM
Speaking of Michigan, I read a story yesterday that Ohio State and a number of other B1G schools want to get around the cancellation of the conference schedule by creating a six-team conference to play a limited schedule in the fall. Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, and tOSU were four of the six. They wanted Michigan to be part of the coalition, but Michigan said no.

Didn't the B1G threaten to kick out any school that played football this fall?

I don't think there's a lot of truth to this.
This whole thing with the B1G is totally asinine to me. The players and coaches have loudly and clearly voiced their desire to play. Sure, they're not doctors, but neither are the people who made the choice to cancel the season. And now the conference is threatening to kick out anyone who plays like they're a group of 12 year olds playing pickup basketball at a park. It's childish, it's nonsensical, and frankly it's borderline criminal. These athletes have been working their behinds off their whole lives, only for 25% of their time at the highest level they will ever be (for most) to be wiped out.

Not even close to borderline criminal.  Hyperbolic nonsense.  All players on scholarship.  All players get free education.

And they simply moved the season to Spring anyway.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on August 21, 2020, 06:21:59 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 21, 2020, 05:49:31 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 21, 2020, 05:45:48 PM
Speaking of Michigan, I read a story yesterday that Ohio State and a number of other B1G schools want to get around the cancellation of the conference schedule by creating a six-team conference to play a limited schedule in the fall. Iowa, Nebraska, Penn State, and tOSU were four of the six. They wanted Michigan to be part of the coalition, but Michigan said no.

This whole thing with the B1G is totally asinine to me. The players and coaches have loudly and clearly voiced their desire to play. Sure, they're not doctors, but neither are the people who made the choice to cancel the season. And now the conference is threatening to kick out anyone who plays like they're a group of 12 year olds playing pickup basketball at a park. It's childish, it's nonsensical, and frankly it's borderline criminal. These athletes have been working their behinds off their whole lives, only for 25% of their time at the highest level they will ever be (for most) to be wiped out.

There are fairly new studies that indicate that young people who get COVID and are mostly or entirely asymptomatic still experience significant heart damage. For an athlete who is (hopefullly) heading to the NFL and pushing himself to ridiculous physical limits, that's a recipe for a major heart attack before age 40.

Doctors didn't directly make the choice to cancel the season, but their input was clearly heavily considered.

We know now that COVID directly kills a very small percentage of people who are for the most part elderly. What we won't know for 20+ years is how permanent the damage is for the very large percentage of people who don't die.
I'm a strong fan of cancelling sports for one whole damn season. Everyone suffers the same. They'll be drafted and paid.
98% of them will not be drafted or paid.
And that doesn't depend on playing a season or not.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on August 21, 2020, 09:56:55 PM

There are fairly new studies that indicate that young people who get COVID and are mostly or entirely asymptomatic still experience significant heart damage. For an athlete who is (hopefullly) heading to the NFL and pushing himself to ridiculous physical limits, that's a recipe for a major heart attack before age 40.

Doctors didn't directly make the choice to cancel the season, but their input was clearly heavily considered.

We know now that COVID directly kills a very small percentage of people who are for the most part elderly. What we won't know for 20+ years is how permanent the damage is for the very large percentage of people who don't die.
I'm a strong fan of cancelling sports for one whole damn season. Everyone suffers the same. They'll be drafted and paid.
Right. You said "they'll be drafted and paid". I said that was incorrect for 98% of players. The point is, for that 98%, they're playing because they love the game, not because they are hoping for a pro contract. That's mainly what the uproar is about, because the 2% who will play professionaly have less to lose by not having a season.

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on August 21, 2020, 10:04:46 PM

Right. You said "they'll be drafted and paid". I said that was incorrect for 98% of players. The point is, for that 98%, they're playing because they love the game, not because they are hoping for a pro contract. That's mainly what the uproar is about, because the 2% who will play professionaly have less to lose by not having a season.
I think one's long-term health is a lot worse to lose if you're NOT planning on professional sports as a career, than one season of whatever sport you're playing for fun.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on August 22, 2020, 02:16:14 AM
Quote from: thspfc on August 21, 2020, 10:04:46 PM

This whole thing with the B1G is totally asinine to me. The players and coaches have loudly and clearly voiced their desire to play. Sure, they’re not doctors, but neither are the people who made the choice to cancel the season. And now the conference is threatening to kick out anyone who plays like they’re a group of 12 year olds playing pickup basketball at a park. It’s childish, it’s nonsensical, and frankly it’s borderline criminal. These athletes have been working their behinds off their whole lives, only for 25% of their time at the highest level they will ever be (for most) to be wiped out.

I think one's long-term health is a lot worse to lose if you're NOT planning on professional sports as a career, than one season of whatever sport you're playing for fun.
I can guaruntee you their long-term health is much more likely to be compromised by football itself than by COVID.

kphoger

How do you guys feel about high school sports?

Around here, there's a big uproar in Wichita because, when it was decided at the last minute to have the upper grades go online-only for a while, the football season was canceled as well.  In the nearby town of Derby, in-person classes are resuming and so is football.

Personally, I don't care much about sports, and most of me wishes the school system didn't have sports teams at all.  So my knee-jerk reaction is "So what?  School isn't about sports anyway."  When people mention the possibility of lost college scholarships, my knee-jerk reaction is "Oh well.  College is about academics anyway."  However, I realize mine is probably the minority opinion on the matter.  What are your opinions about canceling high school sports seasons–whether in-person classes have been suspended or not?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

mgk920

Quote from: kphoger on August 25, 2020, 01:44:56 PM

Around here, there's a big uproar in Wichita because, when it was decided at the last minute to have the upper grades go online-only for a while, the football season was canceled as well.  In the nearby town of Derby, in-person classes are resuming and so is football.

Personally, I don't care much about sports, and most of me wishes the school system didn't have sports teams at all.  So my knee-jerk reaction is "So what?  School isn't about sports anyway."  When people mention the possibility of lost college scholarships, my knee-jerk reaction is "Oh well.  College is about academics anyway."  However, I realize mine is probably the minority opinion on the matter.  What are your opinions about canceling high school sports seasons–whether in-person classes have been suspended or not?

I can easily envision both the NCAA/NAIA and the high schools dropping sports entirely and North America going to the overseas private sports club model.

Mike

NWI_Irish96

I won't criticize any state for delaying/canceling the season due to safety. However, I think tying sports to school is important as I've seen plenty of kids be motivated to perform better in school in order to participate in sports.

Going to a private club model eliminates that, and also makes it harder for poor kids to participate in sports.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SEWIGuy

High school sports are fine.  Two of my three kids participated and enjoyed their experience.  The third didn't participate and didn't feel he missed out on anything. 

But they are clearly an "add on" to the school experience and not that important overall.

webny99

Personally, I don't care much about sports ...

That's what I used to say, but it gets harder every year to live in Western NY and simply not care about the Buffalo Bills...

I've never been a very coordinated person, and always disliked gym in school, so I'm not particularly interested in the athletes and their accomplishments, but I do feel it's important to have general awareness of what's going in the sports world. Same goes for politics, music, and just about every other aspect of society. I have an unquenchable thirst for knowledge and just really can't stand the thought of being considered ignorant or clued out.

I've found knowledge comes naturally in some areas (anything history, geography, or roads-related) and takes a conscious effort to build in others (sports, music, etc.). With that said, I do listen to two sports podcasts regularly: Around the NFL (hilarious... has helped keep me sane through this pandemic) and Hot Takedown from FiveThirtyEight (perfect combination of nerdiness and macro coverage; highly recommend for anyone looking to build general sports awareness and stay loosely "in the loop" about sports).

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 25, 2020, 05:03:34 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 25, 2020, 02:41:09 PM

I won't criticize any state for delaying/canceling the season due to safety. However, I think tying sports to school is important as I've seen plenty of kids be motivated to perform better in school in order to participate in sports.

Going to a private club model eliminates that, and also makes it harder for poor kids to participate in sports.
High school sports are an integral part of the high school experience in most places. Many people's best childhood memories come from high school sports.

Some would say that's part of the problem.

hotdogPi

When I was in high school, I always thought that Lexington was the best school in Massachusetts. This was because of

• Science Fair (individual competition, but you can see how many are from each school in the regionals, which I made it into one year)
  • Senior Districts and All-State (choral and instrumental music; the competition is in the audition, not the performance)
  • High School Quiz Show (the year I did it, 14 public schools qualified, and mine wasn't one of them)
  • Math Olympiad (100 individuals qualified, and I was one of them, but in Round 1, twenty advanced and I did not).

None of these have anything to do with sports.
Clinched, plus NH 38 and MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

... the high school experience ... childhood memories ...

I totally get that.  I'm just saying that, in my opinion, decisions about school should not revolve around the "experience".  They should revolve around children's education.  And actually, I feel the same way about basing re-opening decisions on other tangential issues like nutrition, childcare, etc.

Over the years we've made school out to be some giant, state-controlled, multifaceted nanny system upon which we stake the development of our children's social skills, health habits, social responsibility, and even extra-curricular endeavors.  Maybe it's time to re-evaluate what the school system is really for–and what it isn't.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: 1 on August 26, 2020, 09:03:28 AM
When I was in high school, I always thought that Lexington was the best school in Massachusetts. This was because of

• Science Fair (individual competition, but you can see how many are from each school in the regionals, which I made it into one year)
  • Senior Districts and All-State (choral and instrumental music; the competition is in the audition, not the performance)
  • High School Quiz Show (the year I did it, 14 public schools qualified, and mine wasn't one of them)
  • Math Olympiad (100 individuals qualified, and I was one of them, but in Round 1, twenty advanced and I did not).

This 100%.  I completely understand why kids find sports important.  But there are a lot of things that are just as important that do the same job of team building and problem solving while also being plenty competitive.

jeffandnicole

When you think of it, there are 4 things that babies and young toddlers start doing as soon as they're able to do so:

Learning.

Eating.

Exercise.

Throwing things around.

Schools and Sports are commonly tied together.  While school's primary mission should be about learning, the sports aspect is important as well.  It's a great form of exercise also. 

When someone isn't into sports, or isn't good at sports, the other competitive items mentioned are a good option to keep involved with others, even if they're not strongly looked at on the same level as sports.

One item not mentioned are school plays and musicals.  While you'll never find me on stage in front of the audience, I did take part in stage crew.  There aren't going to be any scholarships handed out for that (or very few), but it was still a fun, memorable experience.

kphoger

Quote from: jeffandnicole on August 26, 2020, 09:49:23 AM
While school's primary mission should be about learning, the sports aspect is important as well. 

And I'm not against P.E. class.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 26, 2020, 08:54:32 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 25, 2020, 02:41:09 PM

High school sports are an integral part of the high school experience in most places. Many people's best childhood memories come from high school sports.

Some would say that's part of the problem.
What problem? Do you expect people's best childhood memories to be sitting in a class, learining about the mitochondria of the cell?

triplemultiplex

High school sports are important for people who peaked in high school.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 26, 2020, 09:09:51 AM

This 100%.  I completely understand why kids find sports important.  But there are a lot of things that are just as important that do the same job of team building and problem solving while also being plenty competitive.
I understand that some people just don't get the importance of sports (and some don't even try either). But if that's your position, then don't come into the sports board. Thanks. Bye.

thspfc

Quote from: triplemultiplex on August 26, 2020, 11:58:12 AM
High school sports are important for people who peaked in high school.
Not even sure what this is supposed to mean. Care to elaborate?

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 26, 2020, 11:59:54 AM

I understand that some people just don't get the importance of sports (and some don't even try either). But if that's your position, then don't come into the sports board. Thanks. Bye.

Obviously you failed at reading and probably need to mature up a little.

I was a high school sports letter winner.  Two of my three kids were too.  It was an important part of their high school experience, but I doubt they would say it was the most important or most memorable part.  It certainly wasn't mine.

And I most certainly don't have anything against high school sports.  It just is over-emphasized in my opinion.

kphoger

Quote from: thspfc on August 26, 2020, 11:57:01 AM
What problem? Do you expect people's best childhood memories to be sitting in a class, learining about the mitochondria of the cell?

Yes.

Well, if they're science nerds, then probably discoveries under the microscope or chemistry experiments or something.  If they're math nerds, then memories related to math.  If English lit fans, then acting out a Shakespeare play.  If music nuts, then a concert or other performance.  And so on.  Personally, my favorite childhood school memories were of academic bowls.

And, if none of those, then perhaps the friendships developed during class or a favorite teacher or something else tangentially related.
Male pronouns, please.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 26, 2020, 12:07:50 PM

I was a high school sports letter winner.  Two of my three kids were too.  It was an important part of their high school experience, but I doubt they would say it was the most important or most memorable part.  It certainly wasn't mine.

And I most certainly don't have anything against high school sports.  It just is over-emphasized in my opinion.
I lost my respect for your opinion after this incident (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24616.msg2413657#msg2413657), when you attacked me in this thread over what "3di" means and doesn't mean. So who needs to "mature up a little"?

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on August 26, 2020, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 26, 2020, 11:57:01 AM

Yes.

Well, if they're science nerds, then probably discoveries under the microscope or chemistry experiments or something.  If they're math nerds, then memories related to math.  If English lit fans, then acting out a Shakespeare play.  If music nuts, then a concert or other performance.  And so on.  Personally, my favorite childhood school memories were of academic bowls.

And, if none of those, then perhaps the friendships developed during class or a favorite teacher or something else tangentially related.
And if they're athletes or sports fans? Being an athlete and being a good student is also not mutally exclusive. Overall it sounds like you just don't understand, and haven't made an attempt to either.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: thspfc on August 26, 2020, 12:37:57 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 26, 2020, 12:07:50 PM

I lost my respect for your opinion after this incident (https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=24616.msg2413657#msg2413657), when you attacked other people in this thread over what "3di" means and doesn't mean. So who needs to "mature up a little"?

Well, you were wrong then and you're wrong now.  At least you're consistent. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.