News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

2023 College Football Season

Started by NWI_Irish96, August 09, 2022, 07:20:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nexus73

Oregon State 30  Florida 3

At least the Pac-12 will not have an 0-fer and the SEC will not win them all!
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Henry

Just suffered a gut punch at the end of the Tony the Tiger Sun Bowl, with UCLA losing to Pittsburgh on a late field goal and an intercepted Hail Mary, 37-35.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ran4sh

Quote from: ran4sh on August 09, 2022, 07:23:52 PM
I think the defending national champions will at least make it back to the CFP final game.

Go Dawgs!
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

amroad17

Nothing like good defensive games played in the National Semifi----oh, I'm sorry.  It kind of reminded me of Arena Football or 7-on-7 practice.  I saw Princeton Tigers basketball game scores lower than these two games--when they had Pete Carril coaching there.

Don't get me wrong, I do like the occasional high scoring game, like 47-45 (Hail Flutie!).  However, with Georgia and Michigan giving up 12.8 ppg and 13.4 ppg respectively going into the National Semifinal games, one would have expected scores like 24-23 or 33-27, not 42-41 and 51-45.  But, that is the way College Football is going nowadays.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

NWI_Irish96

Wake Forest and ACC career TD pass leader Sam Hartman is transferring to Notre Dame as a grad transfer.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

gonealookin

There haven't been many worse obliterations in championship games than Georgia's 65-7 thrashing of TCU.  I guess famously the Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins 73-0 in the NFL championship game in 1940.  That game was "only" 28-0 at halftime; Georgia had a 38-7 lead at halftime tonight.

amroad17

Quote from: gonealookin on January 09, 2023, 11:07:06 PM
There haven't been many worse obliterations in championship games than Georgia's 65-7 thrashing of TCU.  I guess famously the Chicago Bears beat the Washington Redskins 73-0 in the NFL championship game in 1940.  That game was "only" 28-0 at halftime; Georgia had a 38-7 lead at halftime tonight.
Kent State and Auburn played Georgia better than TCU did.

Another two "obliterations" in championship games, though not to the extent of Georgia's, were San Francisco defeating Denver 55-10 in Super Bowl XXIV and Washington defeating Denver 42-10 after spotting them a 10-0 lead before scoring 35 points in the second quarter of Super Bowl XXII.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Ted$8roadFan

I wonder how the Michigan Wolverines feel about last night.

ET21

Only reason I watched until the end of the 3rd was for the new Ant Man trailer  :-D

Once they picked off TCU just before halftime and got the ball back first in the 2nd half I knew it was over
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

Billy F 1988

Boy, I just took a glance at the box score for the Georgia-Michigan game. I'd attribute the 34-11 score more for Michigan's hilarious meltdown than Georgia dominating them for most of the contest. You can pretty much tell that once Georgia went past two touchdowns, there wasn't any comeback to be had. Gonna be a long, blue off-season for the Wolverines for sure.
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

NWI_Irish96

Colorado and Arizona are moving to the Big 12.

Washington and Oregon are moving to the Big 10.

The PAC-12 is effectively dead.

Big John

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Big John on August 04, 2023, 03:08:42 PM
^^ PAC 6?

My guess is that the six remaining schools merge with some of the stronger MWC schools. Likely Boise St, San Diego St, Wyoming, Air Force, Fresno St, San Jose St.

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on August 04, 2023, 03:16:42 PM
^^ PAC 6?

My guess is that the six remaining schools merge with some of the stronger MWC schools. Likely Boise St, San Diego St, Wyoming, Air Force, Fresno St, San Jose St.

Assuming for discussion purposes that happens, the school that has to feel the most satisfied about the way everything shook out might well be BYU. When the Pac-10 was looking to expand, BYU was interested, but the Pac-10 wouldn't give them the time of day (motivated mostly by general West Coast liberalism wanting nothing to do with a conservative religious institution, with the University of California—Berkeley by all accounts being the most vocal about it). BYU's landed in the Big 12, the Pac-12 is falling apart, and the institution that was the most vocal about excluding BYU lands in the Mountain West, the conference BYU left?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2023, 03:44:23 PM
^^ PAC 6?

Assuming for discussion purposes that happens, the school that has to feel the most satisfied about the way everything shook out might well be BYU. When the Pac-10 was looking to expand, BYU was interested, but the Pac-10 wouldn't give them the time of day (motivated mostly by general West Coast liberalism wanting nothing to do with a conservative religious institution, with the University of California—Berkeley by all accounts being the most vocal about it). BYU's landed in the Big 12, the Pac-12 is falling apart, and the institution that was the most vocal about excluding BYU lands in the Mountain West, the conference BYU left?

Possibly, but the rumor is that Cal (and Stanford) are looking into joining the Big Ten as well.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 04, 2023, 03:47:56 PM
^^ PAC 6?

Possibly, but the rumor is that Cal (and Stanford) are looking into joining the Big Ten as well.

There is such a rumor, but if you re-read the first six words of my comment you'll see I was addressing a specific scenario posted by NWI_Irish96.

DTComposer

^^ PAC 6?

PAC 4 or 5 - Arizona State will likely follow Arizona, and I wouldn't be surprised if Utah does as well. Cal and Stanford are still holding out hope that the Big 10 offers them a spot at reduced revenue - the Big 10 presidents are supposedly in favor, as they bring excellence in academics and non-revenue sports, plus a top media market and a large alumni base in the Bay Area. Fox and ESPN only care about eyeballs and dollars, and with football and basketball struggling at both schools, it's not clear how that might play out. OSU and WSU would fit well in the MWC.

Ultimately this was a failure of Pac-12 leadership to get ahead of both conference expansion and television deals. They had the chance to add Texas and Oklahoma (and maybe others) in 2010, but let it slip away, getting only Colorado and Utah. Once USC and UCLA announced last year that they were leaving, Pac-12 leadership should have done anything and everything to replace their marquee programs and get any sort of television deal nailed down. Instead, they twiddled their thumbs, worrying that San Diego State would somehow lower their academic bar while ignoring that it's now a regular top-20 program in both football and basketball.

As long as the NFL doesn't have a bona fide minor/developmental league like the other big sports, college football will continue down the path of chasing the dollar and drift further away from the concept of the student-athlete.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 04, 2023, 03:51:33 PM
Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 04, 2023, 03:47:56 PM
^^ PAC 6?

There is such a rumor, but if you re-read the first six words of my comment you'll see I was addressing a specific scenario posted by NWI_Irish96.

Of course, I was just pointing out some information that hadn't yet been presented in the thread. My apologies for ruffling your feathers.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

1995hoo

No worries. I thought you were correcting me and I just wanted to point out the particular context of what I was saying.

Big John

Arizona State and Utah have applied to the Big XII.

Big John

Quote from: Big John on August 04, 2023, 06:07:31 PM
and the Big XII schools unanimously accepted them.  Now the Pac 4.

brad2971

Quote from: Big John on August 04, 2023, 10:13:29 PM

Much like what has happened with Bud Light, business schools across this nation are going to be giving advanced courses in how the (soon-to-be-killed) Pac-12 conference killed its brand and mismanaged its business. BTW, if I'm the commissioner of the Mountain West conference, I wouldn't be so quick to invite Cal-Berkeley and Stanford.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: DTComposer on August 04, 2023, 03:56:35 PM
^^ PAC 6?

PAC 4 or 5 - Arizona State will likely follow Arizona, and I wouldn't be surprised if Utah does as well. Cal and Stanford are still holding out hope that the Big 10 offers them a spot at reduced revenue - the Big 10 presidents are supposedly in favor, as they bring excellence in academics and non-revenue sports, plus a top media market and a large alumni base in the Bay Area. Fox and ESPN only care about eyeballs and dollars, and with football and basketball struggling at both schools, it's not clear how that might play out. OSU and WSU would fit well in the MWC.

Ultimately this was a failure of Pac-12 leadership to get ahead of both conference expansion and television deals. They had the chance to add Texas and Oklahoma (and maybe others) in 2010, but let it slip away, getting only Colorado and Utah. Once USC and UCLA announced last year that they were leaving, Pac-12 leadership should have done anything and everything to replace their marquee programs and get any sort of television deal nailed down. Instead, they twiddled their thumbs, worrying that San Diego State would somehow lower their academic bar while ignoring that it's now a regular top-20 program in both football and basketball.

As long as the NFL doesn't have a bona fide minor/developmental league like the other big sports, college football will continue down the path of chasing the dollar and drift further away from the concept of the student-athlete.

I kind of wish the NFL would embrace the XFL in that role and encourage top performing high school athletes to join the XFL to prep for the NFL. I don't know how successful that would be though. The NBA allows people to play in the G-League out of high school but the big recruits are still going to college (albeit usually in a one and done capacity).

KeithE4Phx

Cal and Stanford may yet join the Big Ten.  Academically, they're the most qualified of all the (soon to be defunct) Pac-12 schools.  In the Big Ten, that matters as much as athletics.

What happens to Oregon State and Washington State is anybody's guess.  From what I read, they were trying to save the Pac-12, but now that it's the Pac-4, and maybe the Pac-2, that will be impossible.  Join the Mountain West?  I won't rule it out.
"Oh, so you hate your job? Well, why didn't you say so? There's a support group for that. It's called "EVERYBODY!" They meet at the bar." -- Drew Carey

brad2971

Quote from: KeithE4Phx on August 04, 2023, 10:51:57 PM

Cal and Stanford may yet join the Big Ten.  Academically, they're the most qualified of all the (soon to be defunct) Pac-12 schools.  In the Big Ten, that matters as much as athletics.

What happens to Oregon State and Washington State is anybody's guess.  From what I read, they were trying to save the Pac-12, but now that it's the Pac-4, and maybe the Pac-2, that will be impossible.  Join the Mountain West?  I won't rule it out.

Instead of chasing a media marketing deal that the Big 10 offers that may blow up in people's faces in 10 years, if I were Cal-Berkeley and Stanford, I'd stay independent in football and join the West Coast Conference for all other sports. In doing so, Gonzaga would get better competition for their men's and women's basketball teams, and Cal+Stanford would keep to their own West Coast insular culture.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.