Is it actually legal to go 5 mph over the speed limit?

Started by ZLoth, June 20, 2023, 02:02:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Quote from: algorerhythms on July 02, 2023, 11:48:06 AM
Quote from: Rothman on July 02, 2023, 09:53:54 AM
Quote from: algorerhythms on July 02, 2023, 09:50:46 AM
Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 30, 2023, 05:06:13 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 21, 2023, 10:41:27 PM
Seriously the most pulled over out of state vehicles I see have Illinois license plates.

Because if you're driving in Illinois and you're not doing at least 10 over, you'll probably have someone tailgating you hard.
What I've learned from driving in Illinois and Ontario is that I will have someone tailgating me no matter what I do, so I stopped giving a damn and just drive the speed limit.

Ah, a Nestor.

I've always found it relatively easy to not block the left lane and be courteous when I'm driving slower than traffic.
You automatically assume I block the left lane?

Not automatically.  Just an assumption from the evidence at hand.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Flint1979

Seriously the most pulled over out of state vehicles I see have Illinois license plates.

Because if you're driving in Illinois and you're not doing at least 10 over, you'll probably have someone tailgating you hard.
What I've learned from driving in Illinois and Ontario is that I will have someone tailgating me no matter what I do, so I stopped giving a damn and just drive the speed limit.

Ah, a Nestor.

I've always found it relatively easy to not block the left lane and be courteous when I'm driving slower than traffic.
This isn't the left lane hogging thing it's speeding and they do it constantly. You could be in the right lane and you still have someone tailgating you. I drive about 5 mph over the speed limit and often do 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway and I will still get someone to tailgate me.

Rothman

Quote from: Flint1979 on July 02, 2023, 03:49:48 PM

Ah, a Nestor.

This isn't the left lane hogging thing it's speeding and they do it constantly. You could be in the right lane and you still have someone tailgating you. I drive about 5 mph over the speed limit and often do 10 mph over the speed limit on the highway and I will still get someone to tailgate me.

When I'm in the right lane and someone is tailgating me, which is quite rare, it's no big deal since they can go around when able.

It's only when you're in the left lane where I see Nestors coming out with "I'm going the limit" or "I'm already speeding" arguments for them to justify being in the way.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

CoreySamson

Quote from: Rothman on July 02, 2023, 06:19:15 PM

When I'm in the right lane and someone is tailgating me, which is quite rare, it's no big deal since they can go around when able.

That reminds me of the time I was in the right lane doing the speed limit on a freeway, and I was getting tailgated by a lifted truck. There was heavy traffic merging in from the right, and I knew the acceleration lane was relatively non-existent, so I changed lanes to the left to let them in, and lo and behold, the tailgating truck floors it past me now that I was out of the slow lane, right through the path of the merging traffic. The kicker is that the left lane was open the entire time, so he could've passed me that way if he had really wanted to. I could only laugh in amazement.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

SSOWorld

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 02, 2023, 09:51:32 PM

That reminds me of the time I was in the right lane doing the speed limit on a freeway, and I was getting tailgated by a lifted truck. There was heavy traffic merging in from the right, and I knew the acceleration lane was relatively non-existent, so I changed lanes to the left to let them in, and lo and behold, the tailgating truck floors it past me now that I was out of the slow lane, right through the path of the merging traffic. The kicker is that the left lane was open the entire time, so he could've passed me that way if he had really wanted to. I could only laugh in amazement.
You pissed him off sometime in the past?
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

JoePCool14

People absolutely tailgate in the right lane. On the 4-lane tollways, I find the right lane tends to be more open than the lane just to the left. Mostly from trucks that can't be bothered to deal with merging traffic. It creates a situation where the right lane sometimes ends up being the fastest lane of them all.

Some people just have zero driving etiquette. They just have to be driving 85+ everywhere with zero compromise.

Also, why is this thread in Off Topic? Shouldn't this be in General Highway Talk?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

GCrites

Quote from: CoreySamson on July 02, 2023, 09:51:32 PM

I swear people think that they can make other cars vaporize if they just mash the gas.

Flint1979

Here's something I had to laugh about earlier not a big deal really but I just had to laugh.

Here's the situation, I was traveling WB on W. Genesee Avenue across the Saginaw River. The traffic light at N. Michigan had just turned red and I was probably about 1/8th of a mile from the intersection and started slowing down to stop for the light. A guy behind me proceeds to whip around me, get in front of me and have to stop for the light anyway. I turned left on Michigan and he went straight on Genesee but it was just funny, like hurry up and wait you gained nothing by doing that stupid movement.

bwana39

I have not read the replies. I am just gonna fly with it.

In most states the answer is NO. Technically NO!

In Arkansas they say " no allowance".

There are limited emergency reasons to exceed the speed limit.

For general conditions,  as far as a buffer or allowance, no.

Now to the practical application. They are not going to stop anyone for less than 5 mph on a road with 45 mpg or higher limit, UNLESS they want / need an excuse to stop you. If they don't find anything else, they will send you along with either a warning or an oral admonition.  Under 45 mph, generally 10%. Municipal police tend to be less forgiving.

In most situations, the police generally are looking over 10 mph at highway speed or 10%.. SO you probably can do 5 mph at 50+ speed limit.

I have gotten tickets for 62 in a 55 and have been told to slow down at 82 in a 70.

There is ZERO tolerance is most situations where the limit is less than 30 mph, Active school zones, places where emergency vehicles or police are working beside the road (in Texas there are special rules), and in active construction zones. Speed cameras (where legal) tend to have a finite setting that may have minimal tolerance.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.