Highways which end at a gate of a military base

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 07, 2022, 01:28:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GeekJedi

Fort Leonard Wood is at the end of "Business Loop 44" in St. Roberts.
"Wisconsin - The Concurrency State!"

ilpt4u

Quote from: GeekJedi on December 07, 2022, 07:21:58 PM
I looked at that one on GSV, and didn't see BL 44 actually signed south of I-44 on Missouri Ave. I may have missed the shield(s)

BL 44 is certainly signed at the exit off I-44

US 89

Utah's SR 232, 103, and 97 all end at various Hill Air Force Base gates.

To put a new spin on this thread, SR 168 ends at a former gate of that base.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 07, 2022, 04:21:19 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on December 07, 2022, 04:09:10 PM
I-564 into Norfolk Naval Station
VA 225 does end at JB Little Creek.

By this interpretation, so does VA 166 and VA 170 at Little Creek; VA 239 at Norfolk Naval Shipyard

There is also VA 278 at Langley AFB

South Carolina has SC 760 at Ft. Jackson and SC 116 at Beaufort NAS

kenarmy

Well MS 854 ends at the Meridian Naval Air Station gate.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: US 89 on December 07, 2022, 07:38:02 PM
Utah's SR 232, 103, and 97 all end at various Hill Air Force Base gates.

To put a new spin on this thread, SR 168 ends at a former gate of that base.

I wasn't fully clear on the current boundary of the military reservation within the Philadelphia Navy Yard.  PA 611 certainly does end at the old entrance gate.

Henry

There's also NV 573, which ends at Camp Nellis.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

oscar

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 07, 2022, 01:28:25 PM
I didn't see a topic for this and for some reason I had it on my mind.  One such highway that I frequent which ends at the gate of a military base is CA 282 which ends at a gate for NAS North Island. 

There are topics for highways you supposedly can't clinch without entering a military base. This topic is broader than that, covering highways that end at or really close to a base gate, but can be clinched without entering the base.

As 74/171FAN notes, NJ 68 is one of the few routes that actually extend past a military base gate, extending less than a quarter-mile into Joint Base McGuire-Dix-Lakehurst. NJ 68's south endpoint was established before public travel was restricted within the base, and apparently was never truncated after the restriction took effect.

There are other instances mentioned here where you don't have to enter the base to clinch, even though the route ends at or very close to a base gate. I'll cover those and others when I'm more awake.

Unless something has changed since I last traveled through St. Roberts, there's both a Business Loop 44 and a Business Spur 44 in St. Roberts. The Business Spur route is the one that connects the mainline I-44 to Ft. Leonard Wood.

Travel Mapping's predecessor site Clinched Highway Mapping had the business spur actually entering the Army base, continuing past the base gate.  At some point, that was corrected to have the spur ending at or just north of the gate, which is what TM shows now.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 07, 2022, 04:15:54 PM
KY 1646 @ Fort Knox

Also both segments of KY 251 (I'm guessing it used to be continuous) end at the fort.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

oscar

-  HI 93 supposedly now at Point Space Force Satellite Tracking Station (not fully confirmed where traffic stops now on Farrington Highway).
-  Interstate H-3 at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.

Lots of others in Hawaii:

West end of HI 50 at a closed gate for the Pacific Missile Range in southwest Kauai island

West end of HI 92 at the main gate for Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (the highway may technically end at the gate, but the gate is about 150 feet west of the right turn to Center Dr., which is within base boundaries but can be used to leave the base to HI 99 without stopping for a sentry)

South end of HI 76 at a closed gate for MCBH-Puuloa

East end of HI 7012 at a naval communications station

East end of unsigned HI 7141 at a naval ammunition depot

North end of unsigned HI 7241 at entrance to Camp Smith Marine Corps base

North end of unsigned HI 7345 at gate for Tripler Army Medical Center

skluth

The All-American Freeway in Fayetteville NC may not be a numbered highway, but it is a freeway which ends at the entrance to Fort Bragg

Dirt Roads

Does a National Guard base count?  Camp Dawson Road (CR-7/26) in Kingwood, West Virginia officially ends at the south gate of Camp Dawson.  Which adds a couple of different twists to this thread.  It enters the base at the north gate and runs almost the entire length of the base along the northwest side of the Air National Guard landing strip (parallel to the Cheat River).  When the landing strip was lengthened, the southwestern end of CR-7/26 was truncated and crosses the runway and reconnects to the main base road.  And the main base road connects back to the original CR-7/26 before exiting at the South Gate (where CR-7/26 officially ends). 

It appears that some (if not all) the other base roads have official state secondary route numbers, but those roads are not shown on the official WVDOH county map.  Another oddity is that Camp Dawson Road continues beyond the South Gate as a little dirt road, which eventually turns into Whitsell Trowbridge Road (CR-43/2), all of which is unpaved.

I kinda makes sense that a National Guard base would have roads that are maintained by the State.

triplemultiplex

-  HI 93 supposedly now at Point Space Force Satellite Tracking Station (not fully confirmed where traffic stops now on Farrington Highway).

Can confirm it is at the junction with "Satellite Tracking Station Road."
We collect the photolog (among other data sets) for HDOT and road is barricaded immediately north of this junction.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 09, 2022, 02:57:04 PM

We collect the photolog (among other data sets) for HDOT and road is barricaded immediately north of this junction.

It seems we ended up featuring videos and images of HI 93 right before the gate was erected.  Shame too, the only access to abandoned Farrington Highway at Kaena Point is now on the County Route 930 side. 

oscar

Is the road past the barricades closed to pedestrian access?

I hiked the road from the end of HI 93 to Kaena Point in January 2009. I don't recall if there was a barricade at the end of HI 93. The road beyond had some landslide closures that could be walked around, as well as a vehicle barricade where the old road crossed into the Kaena Point nature preserve.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: oscar on December 09, 2022, 03:46:47 PM

I hiked the road from the end of HI 93 to Kaena Point in January 2009. I don't recall if there was a barricade at the end of HI 93. The road beyond had some landslide closures that could be walked around, as well as a vehicle barricade where the old road crossed into the Kaena Point nature preserve.

The images Dan Murphy provided for our HI 93 blog stub were from 2019.  The roadway was still accessible to Keawaula Beach at the time.  That narrows when the gate went up to the last handful of years.

triplemultiplex

Plenty of folks using the beach up there last winter, so it's very much walkable still:

No dogs allowed, though. ;)
We'll be back for another round in January.  If I remember, I can update.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on December 13, 2022, 01:45:24 PM

Plenty of folks using the beach up there last winter, so it's very much walkable still:

No dogs allowed, though. ;)

That's good news.  I want to walk the abandoned portion of Farrington Highway if I get called out to a work thing next year (which apparently may be a thing).

triplemultiplex

Update to Hawaii SR 93 at Kaena Point.  When our vehicle went up there a few weeks ago, the road was unblocked and ungated again:

I guess they figured out beach-goers parking were not a threat the the "Space Force". :P

cwf1701

At the northern end, its Spur BUS-I-44. At the southern end, its MO highway AW, which connect the southern end of the fort to Highway 17.

Alex

SR 173 in Escambia County, Florida. Though the GIS data shows SR 173 ending at SR 292A and the short stretch to the gate of Pensacola NAS as CR 173:

SR 295 at Warrington, Florida. The state road ends at the north end of Bayou Grande. Navy Boulevard crosses the waterway south to the Pensacola NAS Main Gate:

SR 401 at Cape Canaveral Space Force Station:

SR 101 at Naval Station Mayport Main Gate in Jacksonville:

tsmatt13

Interstates & freeways clinched: 16, 78, 87 (NY), 97, 287, 295 (NJ/PA/DE), 676, ACE, GSP

wriddle082

It's not technically military, but it's US Department of Energy...

SC 19's southern terminus is at the main gate to the Savannah River Site.

But as far as actual DOD sites, SC 760's eastern terminus is at Fort Jackson Gate 1(?).

And GA 383's southern terminus is at Fort Gordon Gate 1.

froggie

In my experience (in part because I have been to several of the military bases in question), many of the routes mentioned do not actually end at the gate but at some sort of public road or intersection before getting to the gate.  Examples of these include the OP's CA 282 (begins/ends at Alameda Blvd), MS 854 (actually ends BEFORE the intersection with Rabbit Rd, which is outside the gate and base property), and the multi-mentioned I-564/VA 337 which end at each other.

Along the lines of something Oscar posted, and mentioned here because it hasn't been mentioned yet and I clinched it a few months ago, GA 119 passes THROUGH Fort Stewart, much like how NC 172 passes through Camp Lejeune.

Road Hog

AR 176 ends at the main gate of Camp Robinson, which is the major AR National Guard headquarters. The road is in fact named Camp Robinson Road. A half-mile down the road from the gate used to be a Catholic orphanage that our church youth would go visit every Thanksgiving. Farther back and up Remount Road was a liquor store where I bought my first six-pack and got rollicking drunk.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.