Routes That Diverge and then Re-Merge

Started by CoreySamson, January 04, 2023, 12:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on January 04, 2023, 01:25:54 PM
I-75 and US-23 in MI and OH. Except when they re-merge in OH for a short distance, they are a wrong-way concurrency.
They meet again in Macon, Georgia.

bulldog1979

US 41 and M-26 merge in Houghton to cross the Portage Lake Lift Bridge, diverging on the other side in Hancock. They re-merge at Calumet until they diverge again at Phoenix. They meet one last time in Copper Harbor where M-26 terminates a couple miles from US 41's terminus.

bing101

Quote from: Henry on January 04, 2023, 06:35:26 PM
I-5 and CA 99, at Wheeler Ridge, Sacramento and Red Bluff.
I-405 and I-5 from the San Fernando Valley and meet again at the El Toro Y in Irvine.
US-101 and CA-1 meet and Split in various places one at Leggett, another one at the Golden Gate Bridge and another one in a section between Ventura and Santa Barbara county.
Here are some of the California ones.
However at one point Business 80 Sacramento used to meet in two points one in West Sacramento and another in North Highlands but CalTrans removed the Business 80 signs between West Sacramento to Midtown Sacramento where the CA-99/CA-51 interchange and relabeled them as simply US-50 in 2016.

Dirt Roads

US-19 and WV-16 have a long history of being intertwined.  Then in 1947, US-19 was relocated and separated from WV-16 completely.  After completion of Corridor L, US-19 was once again back alongside its partner WV-16 from Beckley northward to Oak Hill:  WV-16 joins US-19 on the north side of Beckley; keeps going straight on as US-19 joins Corridor L.  Then WV-16 rejoins US-19 on Corridor L just north of Scarbro, but the overlap is roughly 1/4 mile before exiting the Oak Hill Expressway.  The other one doesn't count, but WV-16 runs alongside US-19 on Corridor L north of Oak Hill for about 3/4 mile between the Lochgelly Road exit and where South Court Street used to leave Corridor L going into Fayetteville.  WV-16 may have been concurrent with US-19 on that short stretch before the South Court Street intersection was removed.

Fun fact:  WV-16 was not originally part of the multi-state MSR-16 connecting North Carolina and Virginia.  The original routing of WV-12 was absorbed into WV-16 to create the multi-state route that connected through West Virginia all the way cross into Ohio.  The State Road Commission tried on several occasions to convince AASHO to pull WV-16 into the U.S. highway numbering system.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.