News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Rank the months

Started by NWI_Irish96, February 08, 2023, 04:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 09, 2023, 06:54:37 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 09, 2023, 06:19:57 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 09, 2023, 07:51:11 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 08, 2023, 07:35:20 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 08, 2023, 04:51:10 PM
The worst month is the current one. It's cold, no holidays to look forward to (I don't have a girlfriend so Valentines Day is just depressing) and nothing really going on. The only positive about this month is the Super Bowl

I mean, if you really want a holiday to celebrate, there's always my birthday on February 2. I give you permission to throw yourself a party for it. If anyone gives you weird looks, lie and say it's for Groundhog Day.

Or you could celebrate today, a presidential birthday–this year, February 9 is the 250th birthday of William Henry Harrison. (February 6 is Ronald Reagan's.)

I feel like I've done more for the world than William Henry Harrison. :D
May have had a short presidency, but he actually lived a pretty long pre presidential life. He served as a senator from Ohio prior to becoming President.

I said what I said.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

May (birthday)
June (summer begins north of Equator)
July
August
April (this is when the corner really starts turning toward spring/summer)
September (still fairly warm, but the depression of cold weather approaching lingers)
March (begins with false starts to spring where I live; cold weather returns for a couple of weeks afterward; trees/flowers don't start blooming until the end of the month)
December (only this high because of Christmas)
October
November
February (at least there's the Super Bowl and Daytona 500)
January (I hate winter)
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

GaryV

Quote from: 1 on February 09, 2023, 01:24:36 PM
Presidents' Day is simply a day off of work/school and nothing more.

I always thought it was just a day for mattress and appliance store sales. And car dealerships.

There's not too many that get it off from work or school, other than government employees and banks.

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 09, 2023, 07:01:41 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 09, 2023, 02:02:47 PM
The federal holiday is called Washington's Birthday, regardless of what the media and advertisers want to pretend.

I work at a Federal agency, and even there only official communications call it Washington's Birthday. Every informal reference to the holiday is Presidents' Day.

That doesn't change the statutory name. See 5 USC 6103.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

KCRoadFan

All right, here we go! (This applies to the Kansas City area, my home region, as well as much of the Midwest; obviously, different sections of the country experience the months a little differently, weather-wise.)

Best:
1. June (waterpark season/summer is just getting underway)
2. July (waterpark season is in full swing; also, the Fourth and my birthday!)
3. May (waterpark season is right on the horizon, at the end of the month, and I love the NBA and NHL playoffs, which take up the whole month)
4. December (love the Christmas season, seeing all those lights; my favorite time of year outside of waterpark season)
5. October (the one month of the fall in which the quintessential "football weather" - sunny, 50s - 60s range, crisp days - is guaranteed for more than a few days)

Middle-tier:
6. August (the summer month I like least, as it's still hot, but many waterparks go to a "weekends-only" schedule halfway through the month because of school starting up again)
7. April (a transition month: baseball returns, waterpark season draws near, but definitely a mixed bag in terms of the weather; often nice, but just as often cold and rainy)
8. November (often cold and gray, but the Christmas season starts at the end of the month, so that's something to look forward to!)
9. March (this month can't make up its mind, as it's often a whiplash between the start of spring and the last gasps of winter, but hey, there's March Madness!)
10. September (a month of cognitive dissonance, as the waterparks close early in the month and the trappings of fall - pumpkin spice and football - roll out as soon as the month starts, while the weather often remains hot until late in the month, making for a long slog)

Worst:
11. January and 12. February (actually a tie for last place, as the first two months are easily the worst; I often call them the "wasteland months" as they contain everything bad about winter - the snow, the cold weather - while the cheer of the Christmas season has already passed; in my opinion, college basketball and the NFL playoffs are these two months' only redeeming qualities)

All right, that's my ranking of the months and my reasoning for such. What do you think?

achilles765

This is pretty easy for me. I live in southeast Texas and grew up in southeast Louisiana. I have, however, travelled all up and down the east coast, all the way to Boston and Maine- and have made that trip in winter many times.  Taking all of that into consideration, here's mine:

1. December. Favorite month. It's cold, and it gets dark at like 5 pm. Also I like Christmas, as a bartender I make insane money that month. And people just seem nicer and more generous.
2. January. My birthday month. Also, it's cold. And it's like a fresh start for the year. Also. Still dark at 5 pm
3. October–starts to cool off. Halloween. My wedding anniversary.
4. February. Cold. Short. Dark at 5 pm. Black history month.
5. November. Cold. Thanksgiving.
6. March. Just kinda eh.
7. April. Moms birthday. Other than that it's meh
8. September. Don't care much either way for this one
9. May. Mother's Day. Starting to get hot
10. June. Hot. Days are so long.
11. August. Hot. Days are long. Hate it
12. July. The hottest time and the longest days. I hate this entire month.
I love freeways and roads in any state but Texas will always be first in my heart

interstatefan990

Call it cliché, but summer will always be my favorite time of the year. There's just this feeling and glow in the air that no other period of months can replicate. Backyard barbecues, beers, late sunsets, beautiful drives, memories from trips, it's the best. Also when most of NY turns into a relaxing, rural, country-style vacation retreat.

1. July
2. June
3. August
4. May
5. December
6. October
7. November
8. September
9. April
10. March
11. January
12. February

Now, if I lived in Florida:

1. January
1A. February
1B. March
1C. April
1D. May
1E. September
1F. October
1G. November
1H. December
2. August
3. June
4. July

:)
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

Otto Yamamoto

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 09, 2023, 02:05:28 PM
I know that Washington's birthday is a holiday, I was talking about holidays people actually celebrate.

I get paid extra for both Washington's Birthday and President's day, so while I'm not celebrating, necessarily, I'm slightly happier.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on February 24, 2023, 02:25:09 PM
I know that Washington's birthday is a holiday, I was talking about holidays people actually celebrate.

I get paid extra for both Washington's Birthday and President's day, so while I'm not celebrating, necessarily, I'm slightly happier.
Wait both days separately? I thought that they were the same holiday?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kphoger

The California state holiday isn't even called Presidents Day.  It's officially called "The third Monday in February".

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 24, 2023, 02:26:24 PM

Quote from: Otto Yamamoto on February 24, 2023, 02:25:09 PM

Wait both days separately? I thought that they were the same holiday?

Yeah, apparently that's a thing.  My co-worker was recently griping that an agency she works with is closed on all three of Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, and Presidents Day.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hunty2022

I'm actually going to change my rankings.

New rankings:
1 - July
2 - June
3 - November
4 - August
5 - January
6 - October
7 - December [^]
8 - September [^]
9 - March [^]
10 - April [^]
11 - February [V]
12 - May
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

Hobart

Let's do this! I've spent most of my time in the midwest so...

1 - November (moderate temperature, good for riding bikes)
2 - October    (Halloween, good excuse to spend too much money on a costume and crossdress to a hockey game while playing tuba in the pep band, true story)
3 - May          (School's out, graduation month next year, new chapter starts, internal annual year ends)
4 - March       (The character that I own that I like the most has a birthday of March 12th)
5 - February   (I was born four days and twenty-one years ago)
6 - April         (April Fool's Day, nice change of pace compared to the January-March drag)
7 - December (Doesn't snow like it's supposed to, have to Christmas shop, the holiday season becomes less and less bright to me annually!)
8 - January    (December without false joys of holiday season)
9 - September (hell on earth is over, maybe?)
10 - August    (hell on earth)
11 - June        (hell on earth)
12 - July         (hell on earth)

June through September were especially rough for me last year; I had an internship at a steel mill (hot plus more hot), and on the weekends striped baseball fields (even more hot).
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.