News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Changes to sports

Started by Poiponen13, February 13, 2023, 11:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Poiponen13

These are my proposed changes to major North American sports leagues.

Basketball
In NBA, two breaks would be set around FIBA international match days. They occur in late November and late February. The last games before break would be played on Sunday before break and first games after the break woud be played on Thursday after break.
An in-season tournament, called NBA Cup, would be played. It would have all 30 NBA teams, plus two guest teams from Europe. NBA Cup would consist a group stage (8 groups of 4 teams, played before start of regular season, and playoffs of 16 teams after it. The first two rounds would be best-of-three and last two would be played between end of regular season and start of playoffs in a "Super Four". It would also have a 3rd place game.

Football
NFL regular season would be expanded to 25 games, beginning in early August and ending in late February. There would be 16-team playoffs without reseeding and Super Bowl in late March.

Baseball
MLB would expand to 32 teams with new divisions (8 4-team divisions, four in each conference) and expand playoffs to 16 teams with all rounds best-of-seven. MLB would also start to use game clock.
MLB would start to use promotion and relegation with sub league called MLB 2.

Hockey
NHL season would be expanded to 90 games with Stanley Cup finals would extended to best-of-nine.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 11:19:06 AM

Basketball
In NBA, two breaks would be set around FIBA international match days.

That's not the change I would make. I would do something more like:

Basketball
Fouling a player to gain an advantage, especially at the end of the game, would somehow be made unfeasible.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Poiponen13

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2023, 11:28:42 AM

Basketball
In NBA, two breaks would be set around FIBA international match days.

That's not the change I would make. I would do something more like:

Basketball
Fouling a player to gain an advantage, especially at the end of the game, would somehow be made unfeasible.
The breaks is a change which I would implement as as soon as possible because US national teams should be full of NBA players in these breaks.

mgk920

I would reorganize Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and 'fútbol' into fully promotion and relegation based federations.

Make the lower levels important and truly set the Stanley Cup 'free' again.

Mike

Poiponen13

Quote from: mgk920 on February 13, 2023, 12:05:41 PM
I would reorganize Hockey, Basketball, Baseball and 'fútbol' into fully promotion and relegation based federations.

Mike
:thumbsup:  Yes!!! I would also start promotion and relegation. With sub-leagues (NHL -> AHL, NBA -> ABA, MLB -> MLB 2, MLS -> MLS 2) and promotion/relegation playoffs between winners of lower league and last placers of upper league.

mgk920

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 12:10:52 PM
Quote from: mgk920 on February 13, 2023, 12:05:41 PM

Mike
:thumbsup:  Yes!!! I would also start promotion and relegation. With sub-leagues (NHL -> AHL, NBA -> ABA, MLB -> MLB 2, MLS -> MLS 2) and promotion/relegation playoffs between winners of lower league and last placers of upper league.

I would also keep the 'post seasons' in the upper division of each sport exactly the same as they are now.

Mike

NWI_Irish96

Football
Eliminate conferences and just have eight 4-team divisions.
Eliminate kickoffs. Kicking team has the option to give the opponent possession at their own 25, or attempt a 4th and 15 from their own 30.
Move touchbacks on punts from the 20 to the 25.
Teams who still have all three timeouts at the 2-minute warning have their total reduced to two.
Eliminate Thursday games except for opening week and Thanksgiving and have doubleheaders on Monday night.
Eliminate overtime in the regular season. Winner gets three points. In a tie the team that was ahead last gets two points and the other team one point. (Scoreless ties give each team one point.)
Playoff overtime each team gets one possession. The team possessing the ball second may not attempt a tying score. (Can't attempt FG if first team got FG, must go for two after TD if first team got TD.)

Baseball
MLB negotiates all TV deals, both national and local, and all revenue is split evenly among the teams.
Eliminate the American and National leagues and just have six 5-team divisions.
All teams will have one scheduled Saturday home doubleheader with 10,000 tickets available for $10 the day of game.
Third foul ball on a two-strike count is a strikeout.
Teams not spending between 50 and 200 percent of the average team payroll are penalized financially.
Team blackout areas for MLB.tv and MLBEI updated to reflect distribution of teams' primary channels (can't be blacked out for the Cubs in Iowa if Marquee not available in your area).

Basketball
Metrics will be used to rank the top 90 players from the previous season. Teams with at least 2 players in the top 30 may not acquire any more. Teams with at least 3 players in the top 60 may not acquire any more. Teams with at least 4 players in the top 90 may not acquire any more. Teams may always keep/re-sign current players.
In the 4th quarter and overtime, free throws are "three to make two" instead of two.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Why does football have to have its games on certain days of the week only if baseball, basketball, and hockey don't care at all what day of the week it is?
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2023, 12:31:35 PM
Why does football have to have its games on certain days of the week only if baseball, basketball, and hockey don't care at all what day of the week it is?

Recovery time. Confining games to Sunday-Monday gives teams better chance to recover and be prepared. Thursday night games are some of the worst-played games of the season.

hotdogPi

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 13, 2023, 12:46:45 PM

Recovery time. Confining games to Sunday-Monday gives teams better chance to recover and be prepared. Thursday night games are some of the worst-played games of the season.

Why not "any day of the week, but must be at least 5 days apart (and 6 unless the scheduling wouldn't work without a 5)"? This would eliminate the really bad 4-day games. For example, ignoring the day of the week entirely, games could be 6, 8, 9, 6, 10, 7, 6, 8, 7, etc. days apart for a specific team. Instead of a bye week, just push the average closer to 7.5 instead of 7.
Clinched, plus MA 286

zzcarp

Football
NFL regular season would be expanded to 25 games, beginning in early August and ending in late February. There would be 16-team playoffs without reseeding and Super Bowl in late March.

I think this would and should be a non-starter. Previously 16, and now 17 game seasons take a lot out of the human body, and the NFL, while better, still isn't treating player health with the level of seriousness required. 25 games (up to 29 for the Super Bowl contenders) would just lead to even more injury as the season will go more than half the year with no chance for bodies to recuperate.
So many miles and so many roads

Poiponen13

Quote from: zzcarp on February 13, 2023, 01:10:36 PM
Football

I think this would and should be a non-starter. Previously 16, and now 17 game seasons take a lot out of the human body, and the NFL, while better, still isn't treating player health with the level of seriousness required. 25 games (up to 29 for the Super Bowl contenders) would just lead to even more injury as the season will go more than half the year with no chance for bodies to recuperate.
Or midweek rounds with games played on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays with same start and end date as now.

WillWeaverRVA

Basketball
In NBA, two breaks would be set around FIBA international match days. They occur in late November and late February. The last games before break would be played on Sunday before break and first games after the break woud be played on Thursday after break.
An in-season tournament, called NBA Cup, would be played. It would have all 30 NBA teams, plus two guest teams from Europe. NBA Cup would consist a group stage (8 groups of 4 teams, played before start of regular season, and playoffs of 16 teams after it. The first two rounds would be best-of-three and last two would be played between end of regular season and start of playoffs in a "Super Four". It would also have a 3rd place game.

Football

Baseball
MLB would expand to 32 teams with new divisions (8 4-team divisions, four in each conference) and expand playoffs to 16 teams with all rounds best-of-seven. MLB would also start to use game clock.

Hockey
NHL season would be expanded to 90 games with Stanley Cup finals would extended to best-of-nine.

please stop
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Poiponen13

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 13, 2023, 01:23:04 PM

Basketball

Football

Baseball

Hockey

please stop
MLB should expand, NBA should expand, NFL should expand, These have not yet expanded in my lifetime. NHL has expanded. Seattle should get NBA team and Montreal MLB team.

SP Cook

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 13, 2023, 11:28:42 AM

Basketball

Elam Ending.

Poiponen13

Yes to Seattle NBA team, to Montreal MLB team, to St. Louis NFL team. All Big Four leagues and MLS should have at least 40 teams.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 01:59:23 PM
All Big Four leagues and MLS should have at least 40 teams.

Even better, Tier 1 and Tier 2 with promotion and relegation. Tier 1 doesn't need 40, but combined they could have 40 or even more.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Poiponen13

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2023, 02:00:15 PM
All Big Four leagues and MLS should have at least 40 teams.

Even better, Tier 1 and Tier 2 with promotion and relegation. Tier 1 doesn't need 40, but combined they could have 40 or even more.
This would work:
NBA 20 teams (playing 4x with 76 games). No divisions or conferences. 8-team 7-7-7 playoffs. Bottom two relegated.
ABA 22 teams (playing 3x with 63 games). No divisions or conferences. 1st places team promoted automatically. 2nd to 9th go 5-7-7 promotion playoffs with winners promoted. Bottom three relegated.
USBA 54 teams (playing 4x with 68 games). Three groups, West, Central and East. 8-team 5-5-7 playoffs in each group. Playoff winners promoted.
There is a qualification between lowest placed teams in USBA groups and willing winners of state basketball leagues. State pyramids have several levels and there is automatic promotion and relegation between levels.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: 1 on February 13, 2023, 12:51:55 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 13, 2023, 12:46:45 PM

Why not "any day of the week, but must be at least 5 days apart (and 6 unless the scheduling wouldn't work without a 5)"? This would eliminate the really bad 4-day games. For example, ignoring the day of the week entirely, games could be 6, 8, 9, 6, 10, 7, 6, 8, 7, etc. days apart for a specific team. Instead of a bye week, just push the average closer to 7.5 instead of 7.

One problem with this: NFL games (except for emergency rescheduling) cannot be televised on Friday and Saturday until mid-December in order to protect high school and college games.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

1995hoo

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 13, 2023, 12:24:30 PM
Football
.... (Scoreless ties give each team one point.)

Just to make sure you're aware, there has not been a scoreless tie in the NFL since the Giants and the Lions played to one on November 7, 1943.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Roadgeekteen

25 game NFL? Do you want Chad Henne vs Gardner Minshew to be the super bowl every year?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2023, 03:27:40 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 13, 2023, 12:24:30 PM
Football
.... (Scoreless ties give each team one point.)

Just to make sure you're aware, there has not been a scoreless tie in the NFL since the Giants and the Lions played to one on November 7, 1943.

I know, but it still needs to be in the rules just in case.

Roadgeekteen

We should relocate the Yankees to North Korea cuz I don't like them
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

thspfc

Football
Sure hope not.

dvferyance

Yes to Seattle NBA team, to Montreal MLB team, to St. Louis NFL team. All Big Four leagues and MLS should have at least 40 teams.
What would be the 2nd team you would add for the NBA, MLB and NFL? Because you have to have an even number of teams.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.