News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Where Have We Not Held a Roadmeet?

Started by paulthemapguy, November 08, 2023, 11:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 28, 2024, 10:53:27 AMI have a map for all of you! I have compiled all of the roadmeet history in this thread, and I have mapped a graphical representation of it.  Perhaps we might want to fill in some of the larger gaps between past roadmeet locations as shown on the map?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1xTkSl778CivVg8TUIN4Nxvdo8iIVUaA&usp=sharing

Justin Cozart and I co-hosted a road meet in Orlando back on July 29, 2006. NE2, Rob D, Gene J (R.I.P) and his partner attended. The meet started at Alfonso's Pizza in College Park, Orlando.

Seeing the last original state named shield for Interstate 4 was one of the tour stops.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 08, 2023, 12:23:00 PMShould I ask Alex if I can claim the drive we went on around Tampa Bay back in March as a Tampa Bay Road Meet?  :D

(I do not think there has ever been a formal road meet there, but I am sure Alex, Brent, and others go on drives in the area all the time.)

There has not been a formal meet, I proposed a mini meet around Jeff Francis' plate show in 2015, and did meet with Oscar V there. Anytime a fellow road enthusiast is in town, I am willing to meet up and join or provide a tour of the area roads. The list includes Corey D, Cullen W, Tom V among regular get-togethers with I94RoadRunner and roadman65.

I have a road meet concept in mind, but picking a venue is problematic as I don't go out to eat that often. Would love to couple a meet with a stop at Busch Gardens as part of a weekend for any fellow coaster enthusiasts (I or Brent sometimes have free guest passes we could share).

Alps

Quote from: Alex on April 04, 2024, 08:06:53 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on March 28, 2024, 10:53:27 AMI have a map for all of you! I have compiled all of the roadmeet history in this thread, and I have mapped a graphical representation of it.  Perhaps we might want to fill in some of the larger gaps between past roadmeet locations as shown on the map?

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?mid=1xTkSl778CivVg8TUIN4Nxvdo8iIVUaA&usp=sharing

Justin Cozart and I co-hosted a road meet in Orlando back on July 29, 2006. NE2, Rob D, Gene J (R.I.P) and his partner attended. The meet started at Alfonso's Pizza in College Park, Orlando.

Seeing the last original state named shield for Interstate 4 was one of the tour stops.

Quote from: 74/171FAN on November 08, 2023, 12:23:00 PMShould I ask Alex if I can claim the drive we went on around Tampa Bay back in March as a Tampa Bay Road Meet?  :D

(I do not think there has ever been a formal road meet there, but I am sure Alex, Brent, and others go on drives in the area all the time.)

There has not been a formal meet, I proposed a mini meet around Jeff Francis' plate show in 2015, and did meet with Oscar V there. Anytime a fellow road enthusiast is in town, I am willing to meet up and join or provide a tour of the area roads. The list includes Corey D, Cullen W, Tom V among regular get-togethers with I94RoadRunner and roadman65.

I have a road meet concept in mind, but picking a venue is problematic as I don't go out to eat that often. Would love to couple a meet with a stop at Busch Gardens as part of a weekend for any fellow coaster enthusiasts (I or Brent sometimes have free guest passes we could share).
i'm in

paulthemapguy

Quote from: Alex on April 04, 2024, 08:06:53 AMJustin Cozart and I co-hosted a road meet in Orlando back on July 29, 2006. NE2, Rob D, Gene J (R.I.P) and his partner attended. The meet started at Alfonso's Pizza in College Park, Orlando.

I have added this to the map!

Quote from: Alex on April 04, 2024, 08:06:53 AMI have a road meet concept in mind, but picking a venue is problematic as I don't go out to eat that often. Would love to couple a meet with a stop at Busch Gardens as part of a weekend for any fellow coaster enthusiasts (I or Brent sometimes have free guest passes we could share).

I don't think this puts you at much of a disadvantage at all! Even if a potential roadmeet host eats at restaurants often, they will likely have to step outside of their typical repertoire of restaurants to find one that is big enough and willing enough to seat 10-20 people at once. So sure, you'll be outside your comfort zone finding a place for everyone to eat, but I think most are stepping just as far outside their comfort zones to choose a roadmeet restaurant, too.
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 361/425. Only 64 route markers remain

froggie

Quote from: Alex on April 04, 2024, 08:06:53 AMI have a road meet concept in mind, but picking a venue is problematic as I don't go out to eat that often. Would love to couple a meet with a stop at Busch Gardens as part of a weekend for any fellow coaster enthusiasts (I or Brent sometimes have free guest passes we could share).

If you opted to host a meet without a meal involved, it wouldn't be the first time that occurred.  I've done that myself a few times.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: froggie on April 06, 2024, 03:03:36 PM

If you opted to host a meet without a meal involved, it wouldn't be the first time that occurred.  I've done that myself a few times.

We are pretty much lining up to do that in Bakersfield.  Last year in Fresno we just grabbed brunch at In-n-Out as everyone was meeting up.  Speaking for myself, I'm not really one for sitting down for a couple hours if there is territory to cover on the road. 

cl94

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 06, 2024, 05:47:10 PM

We are pretty much lining up to do that in Bakersfield.  Last year in Fresno we just grabbed brunch at In-n-Out as everyone was meeting up.  Speaking for myself, I'm not really one for sitting down for a couple hours if there is territory to cover on the road. 

There are two schools of thought with meets. One is that the meal is the most important part, the other focuses on seeing things. The meal people will obviously want a sit-down meal.

Me? I'm fine with an informal meal. Some of the best meets I have been to had counter serve or informal meals. I'd rather be seeing stuff than sitting in a restaurant for 2 hours, plus there will be opportunities to socialize at stops. Part of the thought of walking stops at Reno is to provide opportunities to socialize without being tied to a restaurant for hours.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on April 06, 2024, 07:00:52 PM

There are two schools of thought with meets. One is that the meal is the most important part, the other focuses on seeing things. The meal people will obviously want a sit-down meal.

Me? I'm fine with an informal meal. Some of the best meets I have been to had counter serve or informal meals. I'd rather be seeing stuff than sitting in a restaurant for 2 hours, plus there will be opportunities to socialize at stops. Part of the thought of walking stops at Reno is to provide opportunities to socialize without being tied to a restaurant for hours.

Probably the longest conversation string last year was from when we got chased from the Fowler Sign to Fowler Depot at the end of the meet.  None of that planned but we had some time to kill and chat before everyone went their own way. 

I like a good sit-down meal as much as the next person.  I don't know how conducive factoring something like that in is going to work out this way unless it was in a tightly packed urban area. 

dvferyance

Has there ever been a roadmeet in Limon?

oscar

OTOH, for the Bakersfield meet we wound up with a good sit-down meal in Lake Isabella mid-meet. Two tables of four, good conversations at each table even if not including everybody (a little hard to do even with just eight people). We also gathered at one table at the McDs at the I-5 Buttonwillow exit, while we were waiting for everybody to show up to start the meet.

Speaking of "sitting down", you might remember one stop where everybody stood around in the middle of a parking lot ... except I had to back away from the group so I could lean against my car, due to lower back pain. Standing in place, even with a walker to provide support, didn't work for me; keeping moving, or sitting someplace, would've been less painful. "Sitting down" has its advantages, especially for older members of the group.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Max Rockatansky

That reminds me, I need to add the Highway 178 Bar & Grill to the thread for highway themed businesses.  The Highway 178 burger essentially was just a giant California Burger.  I really liked the availability just sit down and chill, no doubt that was helped by the rural setting.

The marque was certainly interesting:

https://flic.kr/p/2pJZhqt

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.