Regional Boards > International Highways

Digital highway signage in Sweden

<< < (3/3)

1:

--- Quote from: Chris on July 09, 2023, 07:44:04 AM ---I think it should be noted that Europe has far less power outages than in the U.S. There is much less severe weather that impacts the power grid.

--- End quote ---

I would think that auroras would cause disruptions.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: Road Hog on July 09, 2023, 01:39:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: kalvado on July 08, 2023, 11:06:17 PM ---
--- Quote from: Road Hog on July 08, 2023, 11:00:12 PM ---
--- Quote from: Revive 755 on July 08, 2023, 10:39:16 PM ---So if the power fails there are no signs?  Unless the lane usage changes by time of day or depending upon traffic volumes and the signs are helping with that, this does not seem like a good idea.

--- End quote ---
I'm sure the vast majority of these signs are solar powered with a battery backup.

--- End quote ---
No solar panels to be seen in photos. Besides Sweden is pretty northern .

--- End quote ---
Solar panels don't have to be butt-up against the signs. Even Sweden has these uniquely American inventions called "power cables." You ever heard of those? Besides that, as long as there is ambient light and photons flowing freely, solar power can be had. Sweden is mostly south of the Arctic Circle so there will be sunlight available throughout the year. Go back to your Geography class and come correct next time.

--- End quote ---
This is plausible, but would quickly create a pretty messy overall install. With 6 hours day length in winter - meaning the sun doesn't go high and solar panels have to be positioned accordingly - solar cells become a pretty bad backup anyway.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: 1 on July 09, 2023, 07:46:11 AM ---
--- Quote from: Chris on July 09, 2023, 07:44:04 AM ---I think it should be noted that Europe has far less power outages than in the U.S. There is much less severe weather that impacts the power grid.

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Power grids can be hardened against EM disruptions (including something on the scale of the Carrington Event), although the US is dragging its feet on that.  Maybe Sweden isn't.

kalvado:

--- Quote from: vdeane on July 09, 2023, 03:04:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: 1 on July 09, 2023, 07:46:11 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---
Power grids can be hardened against EM disruptions (including something on the scale of the Carrington Event), although the US is dragging its feet on that.  Maybe Sweden isn't.

--- End quote ---
I wouldn't think about it in terms of grid reliability.
It's more about maintaining traffic flow in case of general emergency which may affect power distribution. It may hard to predict what will hit the fan next,  but apparently hurricane readiness wasn't that big thing in NY, as well as frost in Texas.
So what happens if power goes down should be the part 9f equation regardless of grid generic reliability

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version