Regional Boards > Pacific Southwest

Interstate 80 in Vallejo - why is it still only 6 lanes?

(1/2) > >>

thsftw:
While driving to Vacaville this weekend, I was stuck in traffic in lovely Vallejo. The funny thing is that between the Carquinez Bridge and Tennessee St, the freeway has just been redone and repaved - with still only 6 lanes. If I recall correctly this is now the only stretch of Interstate 80 between Midway Rd and SF that is constricted. But I don't understand why? There's definitely space to fit the same 8 lanes the rest of the freeway has, the new repaved lanes are even wider now.

The Ghostbuster:
Maybe the locals oppose expanding Interstate 80 to more than three lanes in each direction. Freeway construction and freeway expansion plans have always been mired in controversy.

bing101:
Carryover when I-80 was US-40 most likely. But I get what you mean I-80 in Vallejo is similar to how I-5 between I-710 to I-605 in the Los Angeles area was at 6 lanes prior to repaving and widening projects on that section. Yes Solano County has to respond to both Sacramento and Bay Area commuters at the same time.  We mentioned more in related threads here on how Vacaville and Fairfield has to widen I-80 and include express lanes to respond to Sacramento and Bay Area Traffic at the same time. Also we mentioned about a proposed city in Solano County that is currently in dispute with current and former landowners given the Flannery debates in the area.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=32318.0

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=33699.0

heynow415:

--- Quote from: thsftw on October 30, 2023, 02:51:34 PM ---While driving to Vacaville this weekend, I was stuck in traffic in lovely Vallejo. The funny thing is that between the Carquinez Bridge and Tennessee St, the freeway has just been redone and repaved - with still only 6 lanes. If I recall correctly this is now the only stretch of Interstate 80 between Midway Rd and SF that is constricted. But I don't understand why? There's definitely space to fit the same 8 lanes the rest of the freeway has, the new repaved lanes are even wider now.

--- End quote ---

It actually is very constricted in the Vallejo segment, a legacy of its days as US 40.  Lots of way substandard hook ramps, the "squished" cloverleaf at I-780, and frontage roads up against the freeway that short of repurposing the shoulders for traffic lanes makes adding lanes infeasible without right of way acquisition to address the myriad deficiencies.  There have been incremental improvements here and there (like rebuilding the Sonoma Blvd/SR 29 separation) in anticipation of something being done in the future but widening the whole section will be a massive and expensive undertaking.

bing101:

--- Quote from: heynow415 on October 31, 2023, 11:55:08 AM ---
--- Quote from: thsftw on October 30, 2023, 02:51:34 PM ---While driving to Vacaville this weekend, I was stuck in traffic in lovely Vallejo. The funny thing is that between the Carquinez Bridge and Tennessee St, the freeway has just been redone and repaved - with still only 6 lanes. If I recall correctly this is now the only stretch of Interstate 80 between Midway Rd and SF that is constricted. But I don't understand why? There's definitely space to fit the same 8 lanes the rest of the freeway has, the new repaved lanes are even wider now.

--- End quote ---

It actually is very constricted in the Vallejo segment, a legacy of its days as US 40.  Lots of way substandard hook ramps, the "squished" cloverleaf at I-780, and frontage roads up against the freeway that short of repurposing the shoulders for traffic lanes makes adding lanes infeasible without right of way acquisition to address the myriad deficiencies.  There have been incremental improvements here and there (like rebuilding the Sonoma Blvd/SR 29 separation) in anticipation of something being done in the future but widening the whole section will be a massive and expensive undertaking.

--- End quote ---
Yes some of this goes back to when US-40 was in Vallejo and it was where the studies on freeways reducing accidents were in the 1950's. I looked at how Vallejo had more car accidents on its arterials prior to US-40 Freeway construction in the area.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version