News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-376 to be Extended...Eventually

Started by PAHighways, February 19, 2009, 10:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alps

QuoteThis isn't even the only one in her state  not served by an Interstate.  Harrisburg's airport is accessible from PA 283 and a connector spur.
Then JFK is the only airport served by an Interstate.  Because Harrisburg's airport is no more than a mile or two off of I-283 (and I-76).  That connector is just east of I-283.

akotchi

My original quote:
This isn't even the only one in her state  not served by an Interstate.  Harrisburg's airport is accessible from PA 283 and a connector spur.
From AlpsROADS:
Then JFK is the only airport served by an Interstate.  Because Harrisburg's airport is no more than a mile or two off of I-283 (and I-76).  That connector is just east of I-283.

I suppose it is a matter of interpretation.  Some airports have interstates going right into the terminals, like I-678 into JFK and I-195 into BWI.  Some have ramps that go directly into the airport, such as from I-95 to PHL, I-80 into SLC, and (I think) I-10 into PHX.  Harrisburg's, while close to two interstates, does not fit strictly into either category.  Just my opinion. . .
Opinions here attributed to me are mine alone and do not reflect those of my employer or the agencies for which I am contracted to do work.

vdeane

Rochester's airport is really close to I-390.  It's within 1/3 of a mile of the interchange with NY 204.  And NY 204 was supposed to be a freeway that would serve the airport (now it's a freeway stub that serves a warehouse at it's western end).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

WillWeaverRVA

I-190 in Chicago goes right into O'Hare.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

florida

"I mention the airport reason as well in my blog entry.  Former US Representative Melissa Hart once said, "We have the only international airport not served by an Interstate" but forgot that right outside the nation's capital is one not served by an Interstate.  I doubt that was one of the reasons USAirways de-hubbed PIA."

Does this lady live under a rock? Orlando has no interstate connection to its international airport either.
So many roads...so little time.

PAHighways

Quote from: florida on April 22, 2009, 07:39:32 PM
"I mention the airport reason as well in my blog entry.  Former US Representative Melissa Hart once said, "We have the only international airport not served by an Interstate" but forgot that right outside the nation's capital is one not served by an Interstate.  I doubt that was one of the reasons USAirways de-hubbed PIA."

Does this lady live under a rock? Orlando has no interstate connection to its international airport either.

Probably now since she lost this past election to the person who unseated her the year I wrote that blog entry.

florida

^^ I would hope so. What a disgrace full of misinformation.
So many roads...so little time.

mightyace

^^ or ignorance and incompetence.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Revive 755

I was out in Pittsburgh recently, and some of the signs seem to have been changed to reflect I-376's future extension.  I don't remember the exact location - think it was on SB/WB/whatever the Turnpike to downtown direction of PA 28 is  near I-279 - or have photos - it's hard enough to drive Pittsburgh without trying to work a camera.  There was a "To West [I-376 shield]" that seemed to be replacing SB I-279.

PAHighways

I know the sign you're speaking of, on southbound 28 just before the 279/579 interchange.  It reads "I-279 South to I-376 West - Ft Pitt Bridge" and "I-579 South to I-376 East - Veterans Bridge" and has been there since at least December.

signalman

Quote from: akotchi on April 09, 2009, 12:53:29 PM
From PAHighways:
I mention the airport reason as well in my blog entry.  Former US Representative Melissa Hart once said, "We have the only international airport not served by an Interstate" but forgot that right outside the nation's capital is one not served by an Interstate.  I doubt that was one of the reasons USAirways de-hubbed PIA.

This isn't even the only one in her state not served by an Interstate.  Harrisburg's airport is accessible from PA 283 and a connector spur.
Make that 3 for PA....Allentown (Lehigh Valley International) isn't directly connected to I-78 or 476 either. 

agentsteel53

don't forget all of the international airports in, say Montana, that have one flight a day to Moose Jaw. 

live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

PAHighways

PAHighways

Quote from: froggie on May 29, 2009, 10:57:57 PM
QuoteAnother step closer:  PennDOT Awards Contract for US 22/US 30-PA 60 Interchange Rebuild

Are they rebuilding it as-is, or will it include some actual improvements upon the existing design?

Last I heard it would be a total rebuild but still be a cloverleaf with improvements to traffic flow at the on/off ramps of Exit 1 of PA 60.

bugo

bugo

bugo

Quote from: signalman on May 29, 2009, 03:34:45 PM
Quote from: akotchi on April 09, 2009, 12:53:29 PM
From PAHighways:
I mention the airport reason as well in my blog entry.  Former US Representative Melissa Hart once said, "We have the only international airport not served by an Interstate" but forgot that right outside the nation's capital is one not served by an Interstate.  I doubt that was one of the reasons USAirways de-hubbed PIA.

This isn't even the only one in her state not served by an Interstate.  Harrisburg's airport is accessible from PA 283 and a connector spur.
Make that 3 for PA....Allentown (Lehigh Valley International) isn't directly connected to I-78 or 476 either. 

Tulsa International Airport is served by OK 11.

74/171FAN

I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

PAHighways

Quote from: bugo on May 30, 2009, 03:22:50 AM
Will BUS PA 60 become BL 376?

Yes, as the only segment left of SR 0060 will be from the 22/30 cloverleaf to the West End Circle-soon-to-be-Interchange.

PAHighways

Application to Extend I-376 Designation to be Filed Soon

Not just the former representative's stance:  "Renaming the highway would be a marketing boost for Pittsburgh International, the only major airport in the country not connected to an interstate," said Bill Hunt, president and CEO of Elmhurst Corporation, which is developing three business parks around the airport.

"Companies want to hear, 'How far is it to an interstate?' " Hunt said. "You can extol the virtues of PA 60, how it's just like an interstate, but to them it's got to be an interstate or nothing." - Apparently there are more roadgeeks in business than I thought.

I just received an e-mail today from a contributor who told me that the trailblazers around the Greentree area have been changed from 279 shields to 376 shields.

PAHighways

22/30/60 Cloverleaf Project to Begin Monday

The Post-Gazette article on the project explains more in detail the extent of the changes that will take place.

mightyace

Quote from: PAHighways on June 04, 2009, 08:03:50 PM
22/30/60 Cloverleaf Project to Begin Monday

The Post-Gazette article on the project explains more in detail the extent of the changes that will take place.

I'm sure that this means more to the locals then replacing the PA 60 signs with I-376 signs.

Or, if a consequence of extending I-376 are upgrades of what are now considered sub-standard interchanges, then maybe the I-376 extension is worth it after all.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

PAHighways

Quote from: mightyace on June 04, 2009, 08:42:37 PMI'm sure that this means more to the locals then replacing the PA 60 signs with I-376 signs.

Speaking as a semi-local, it is more meaningful and a much long-awaited improvement over the current design.

Quote from: mightyace on June 04, 2009, 08:42:37 PMOr, if a consequence of extending I-376 are upgrades of what are now considered sub-standard interchanges, then maybe the I-376 extension is worth it after all.

There has been talk of improving the interchange since Robinson Town Centre opened in the early 90s, and since then two other shopping developments have opened in the area.

froggie

So, in effect, they're converting 22/30/60 into a 6-ramp par-clo (if one includes the ramp from WB 22/30 to Campbell's Run Rd).

J N Winkler

Quote from: froggie on June 05, 2009, 06:39:29 AM
So, in effect, they're converting 22/30/60 into a 6-ramp par-clo (if one includes the ramp from WB 22/30 to Campbell's Run Rd).

To be frank, I wouldn't even consider that ramp part of the 22-30-60 interchange, because it is so far away to the south.  What this project (ECMS 65122--plans are still online, but be warned:  the sheet order is reversed) does is to convert the existing 22-30-60 interchange, which is a cloverleaf with the SE link ramp missing, to a partial cloverleaf with loop ramps in the NE and SW quadrants.  To accomplish this, the existing loop ramp in the SE quadrant is being eradicated while the link ramps in the NE and SW quadrants are being rechannelized to handle left-turning traffic, which will be controlled by signals being installed as part of this contract.

So is this a net improvement to traffic flow?  In some respects no.  There is a net loss of pavement and the traffic capacity that goes with it.  Traffic on 22-30 not only will still have to TOTSO at this interchange, but will also have to do so through channel lanes attached to signalized intersections.  In effect notionally free-flowing movements are being replaced by signal-controlled ones.  Free flow is also being lost for the 22-30 EB to (future) I-376 NB movement, which is currently served by the soon-to-be-destroyed loop ramp and will be handled by a signalized left turn when construction is finished.

The motivation behind these interchange modifications seems to be traffic queue management.  Conceptually they are very similar to cloverleaf-to-SPUI conversions on surface arterials which are expected to retain that function instead of being upgraded to full freeway standard.  The main difference is that at 22-30-60 it is at least conceptually possible to provide flyover ramps to restore free flow and remove the TOTSOs on the 22-30 movements.  In the meantime, it does not make much sense overall to retain free flow for the 22-30 EB to I-376 NB movement if this results in queues or unsafe weaving operation on I-376 NB, and conceptually this movement too could be handled by its own flyover at some future point.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.