News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in LA (and LA 3132/Shreveport Inner Loop Extension)

Started by Grzrd, April 27, 2011, 06:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwana39

Quote from: abqtraveler on February 15, 2023, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 15, 2023, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on August 19, 2021, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: Dave H on August 19, 2021, 02:20:13 PM
It's been awhile since I've been on here.  Regarding the I-49 ICC, I am hoping the recent announcement and construction of an Amazon fulfillment center in north Shreveport will help drive the completion of the short segment of interstate. 

Regarding I-69 and LA 3132 extension, I attended the Aug 17 public hearing and spoke with Kent Rodgers.  He said they (LA) have the funding to move forward with the I-69 corridor service road between I-49 and Ellerbe Rd.  Regarding the 3132 extension, an interesting twist emerged at the meeting.  An Alabama based company, Tim James, Inc (https://www.timjamesinc.com/) is proposing to fund and build a new Red River toll bridge from Shreveport to Bossier.  I don't see this happening as a toll bridge won't fly with the public.

It might surprise you. Since this bridge will not get built absent some miracle AND the fact that local traffic outside commercial port traffic won't really use it initially at least, I think it could happen. Sell it as a commercial bridge with little POV traffic from the locals and it might just happen.

This thing is still creeping along.... The developer has applied for permits from the USACOE.

https://www.ksla.com/2023/02/14/company-planning-build-toll-bridge-across-red-river-seeking-approval-permits/
Is this bridge going to become part of I-69 or is this a separate project?

It is in the right place more or less.  By itself it is NOT a part of the I-69 PROJECT. It mates up with the I-49 to LA-1 port connector project which should eventually become I-69 (if it ever reaches Shreveport.)  To the locals the only part of the I-69 project that has any import is getting  better highway access to the port and a bridge across the Red River at the port. Perhaps an I-49 to I-20 connector.
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

The Ghostbuster

The two-lane Monticello Bypass excluded, I would be very surprised if any additional segments of Interstate 69 are constructed in Louisiana, Mississippi, or between Memphis, TN and Dyersburg, TN within the next 40 or 50 years.

bwana39

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on February 15, 2023, 07:28:58 PM
The two-lane Monticello Bypass excluded, I would be very surprised if any additional segments of Interstate 69 are constructed in Louisiana, Mississippi, or between Memphis, TN and Dyersburg, TN within the next 40 or 50 years.

I agree fully. The single exception is if the US congress created funding restricted to I-69. Mississippi might pass even then.

Some one

Yeah let's face it, outside of Texas, Kentucky, and Indiana, no other states really feel compelled to finish their portion of I-69. They just have bigger fish to fry. Even in Texas, some segments have more priority than others.

Anthony_JK

Quote from: bwana39 on February 15, 2023, 06:38:02 PM
Quote from: abqtraveler on February 15, 2023, 05:00:35 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on February 15, 2023, 02:55:38 PM
Quote from: bwana39 on August 19, 2021, 11:02:15 PM
Quote from: Dave H on August 19, 2021, 02:20:13 PM
It's been awhile since I've been on here.  Regarding the I-49 ICC, I am hoping the recent announcement and construction of an Amazon fulfillment center in north Shreveport will help drive the completion of the short segment of interstate. 

Regarding I-69 and LA 3132 extension, I attended the Aug 17 public hearing and spoke with Kent Rodgers.  He said they (LA) have the funding to move forward with the I-69 corridor service road between I-49 and Ellerbe Rd.  Regarding the 3132 extension, an interesting twist emerged at the meeting.  An Alabama based company, Tim James, Inc (https://www.timjamesinc.com/) is proposing to fund and build a new Red River toll bridge from Shreveport to Bossier.  I don't see this happening as a toll bridge won't fly with the public.

It might surprise you. Since this bridge will not get built absent some miracle AND the fact that local traffic outside commercial port traffic won't really use it initially at least, I think it could happen. Sell it as a commercial bridge with little POV traffic from the locals and it might just happen.

This thing is still creeping along.... The developer has applied for permits from the USACOE.

https://www.ksla.com/2023/02/14/company-planning-build-toll-bridge-across-red-river-seeking-approval-permits/
Is this bridge going to become part of I-69 or is this a separate project?

It is in the right place more or less.  By itself it is NOT a part of the I-69 PROJECT. It mates up with the I-49 to LA-1 port connector project which should eventually become I-69 (if it ever reaches Shreveport.)  To the locals the only part of the I-69 project that has any import is getting  better highway access to the port and a bridge across the Red River at the port. Perhaps an I-49 to I-20 connector.

If they can find a way to expand this to incorporate the proposed "I-69 frontage road" and create a fully access tolled connection between I-49 at Stonewall and I-20 near Haughton, that would be very helpful.

bwana39

Quote from: Anthony_JK on February 19, 2023, 10:56:42 PM

If they can find a way to expand this to incorporate the proposed "I-69 frontage road" and create a fully access tolled connection between I-49 at Stonewall and I-20 near Haughton, that would be very helpful.

The plan is to connect as you called it the "I-69 Frontage Road" (I-49 / Port connector)

In the short run, it will connect LA-1 to US-71. The I-49 to LA-1 segment is probably going to be built to some degree in the not that distant future. Like you said, probably just one 2-lane frontage road.

The US-71 to IH-20 segment is probably 15+ years off.

TheBox

Posting the pictures here for a reminder of what has yet to be done

as well as Arkansas (late December 2022 at the latest)

and Mississippi
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

The Ghostbuster

And who knows if a completed Interstate 69 in those states will carry sufficient traffic volumes to make constructing the projects worthwhile?

Bobby5280

Considering the rather crooked path I-69 is proposed to follow through Arkansas and Mississippi, I'm wondering if a Houston-Memphis road trip via the I-69/I-369/I-30/I-40 combo would end up being shorter in mileage rather than staying on I-69 the entire way.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 23, 2023, 01:58:20 PM
Considering the rather crooked path I-69 is proposed to follow through Arkansas and Mississippi, I'm wondering if a Houston-Memphis road trip via the I-69/I-369/I-30/I-40 combo would end up being shorter in mileage rather than staying on I-69 the entire way.
I don't have it off the top of my head, but I believe I compared the two routes before and it was around the same mileage.

bwana39

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 23, 2023, 02:57:54 PM
Quote from: Bobby5280 on March 23, 2023, 01:58:20 PM
I don't have it off the top of my head, but I believe I compared the two routes before and it was around the same mileage.

It seemed like it was 25 or thirty miles farther along the tentatively proposed I-69 routing. It should, however, be significantly less congested.   I say tentatively because Robert Moore i(Arkansas) is retired and other routes that do not go through his home town will be considered.

bwana39

TheBox

Quote from: bwana39 on July 27, 2023, 02:17:33 PM
Not really anything new...

https://www.ktbs.com/news/i-69-service-road-could-alleviate-commercial-truck-congestion/article_6ba5e09e-2c08-11ee-92ea-37814a2e5f3b.html
As we are nearing the end of the year 2023, surprise surprise they still need funding for the I-69 Service Road but still no said funding yet.

Louisiana has bigger fish to fry like I-10 expansion between the TX/LA state line and Baton Rouge, and I-49 thru Shreveport and Layfette (and then the rest of the way to said New Orleans after that), As they would gain and benefit more from those two than they would from I-69 (which just cuts thru a corner).

Same with Arkansas but with I-57 instead of I-10, and arguably even add in US-412 west of NWA.

EDIT: And as for Mississippi, I don't know anything they have on their plate, but I do remember they don't have the funding nor benefits for it either.
Wake me up when they upgrade US-290 between the state's largest city and growing capital into expressway standards if it interstate standards.

Giddings bypass, Elgin bypass, and Elgin-Manor freeway/tollway when?

Dave H

hurricanehink

Quote from: Dave H on February 10, 2024, 09:54:40 AM
https://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/announcement.aspx?key=34266

This is all southeast of Shreveport. Based on that, it appears that I-69 will connect with I-49 between exits 186 and 191. Does anyone know where 69 is projected to meet up with LA 1?

bwana39

Quote from: hurricanehink on February 10, 2024, 04:52:51 PM
Quote from: Dave H on February 10, 2024, 09:54:40 AM
https://wwwapps.dotd.la.gov/administration/announcements/announcement.aspx?key=34266

This is all southeast of Shreveport. Based on that, it appears that I-69 will connect with I-49 between exits 186 and 191. Does anyone know where 69 is projected to meet up with LA 1?

If you look at P5 of the PDF in the NLCOG packet, it has that lined out.

Dave H

I-69 will intersect LA1 immediately to the south of Doug Attaway Blvd, which is one of the main entrances to the port.

bwana39

The Ghostbuster

Interstate 69 probably won't be built for 20 to 30 years, if it is built at all. Maybe they could build the segment between Interstate 49 and Interstate 20 first. That portion would likely be the most-heavily utilized segment, although that might not be saying much.

MikieTimT

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on March 05, 2024, 02:07:19 PM
Interstate 69 probably won't be built for 20 to 30 years, if it is built at all. Maybe they could build the segment between Interstate 49 and Interstate 20 first. That portion would likely be the most-heavily utilized segment, although that might not be saying much.

Bits and pieces will be built in Arkansas over the next 4 decades with higher utility segments, starting with Super 2 facilities with ROW for 4 lanes.  Drew County (SIU 13) will likely get everything done Super-2 over the next couple of decades (complete Monticello 2 lane bypass), including AR-530, then we just wait and see if Mississippi or Louisiana get serious and funded about SIU's near the borders.  SIU 12 (Dean Bridge) doesn't happen at all with Arkansas or Mississippi either one footing anywhere close to 20% of the bill, though.  Arkansas likes to punt to richer surrounding states when dealing with the Mississippi River or Red River bridge crossings, but won't have that possibility when partnering with the likes of Mississippi.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.