Regional Boards > Northeast

Central Susquehanna Valley Transportation Project

<< < (2/56) > >>

froggie:
No, but it might be worth "near $600 million to build a 4-lane rural arterial bypass" to handle what is typically near-saturation or saturation far beyond just Thanksgiving Sunday.  Volumes in Shamokin Dam peak at 47K AADT on what is a 5-lane undivided street.  I'm not sure what the peak loading is, but 47K is a very high volume for a 5-lane urban street.

qguy:
This project is needed very much.

When I worked at PennDOT I traveled through that area many times at various times of the year and various times of the day. It's part of a major north-south corridor that runs from Baltimore to central and western upstate New York. It's a key link between I-83 in Harrisburg and US 15 (I-99) in Williamsport.

It's never a good scene. Traffic pours up and down US 11/15 and chokes at Hummels Wharf. It's also jammed in Northumberland (if you take PA 147 up the east side of the west branch of the Susquehanna River) and in Lewisburg (if you take US 15 up the west side of the west branch of the Susquehanna River).

qguy:

--- Quote from: Beltway on December 07, 2011, 08:47:07 AM ---Widening to 6 lanes could handle that.  Most of the cost would be in the river crossing.  Widening alternatives to the existing US-15 could be done for 1/3 of that cost.

--- End quote ---

So you'd still have to spend "most of the cost" because of needing to build the crossing and you'd still be left with a string of signal lights.

Beltway:

--- Quote from: qguy on December 07, 2011, 09:25:23 AM ---
--- Quote from: Beltway on December 07, 2011, 08:47:07 AM ---Widening to 6 lanes could handle that.  Most of the cost would be in the river crossing.  Widening alternatives to the existing US-15 could be done for 1/3 of that cost.

--- End quote ---

So you'd still have to spend "most of the cost" because of needing to build the crossing and you'd still be left with a string of signal lights.

--- End quote ---

No crossing ... widen US-15 up to I-80.

Realistically, a sum of $600 million won't become available for a project of the currently proposed type and length.  Unless you want to put a stiff toll on it.

froggie:
Beltway, you're obviously not familliar with this segment of road.  As I mentioned before, US 11/15 is a city street through Shamokin Dam.  Widening to 6 lanes is not an option unless you're comfortable with major right-of-way acquisition and destroying numerous businesses and houses along that street.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version