Regional Boards > Mid-Atlantic

US 33, VA 33, and US 250 endpoints in Richmond, VA

<< < (15/16) > >>

hbelkins:

--- Quote from: Mapmikey on June 15, 2023, 09:04:32 PM ---That said, US 17 should be truncated to Marshal, since trucks are prohibited between I-66 and US 50, and the speed limit on that segment has been permanently reduced to 45.

--- End quote ---

And I don't understand why. When I drove that route, I didn't see any problems at all with the road. It's a lot better than a lot of roads that are very busy with trucks, with a 55 mph speed limit.

74/171FAN:

--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2023, 11:47:15 PM ---
--- Quote from: Mapmikey on June 15, 2023, 09:04:32 PM ---That said, US 17 should be truncated to Marshal, since trucks are prohibited between I-66 and US 50, and the speed limit on that segment has been permanently reduced to 45.

--- End quote ---

And I don't understand why. When I drove that route, I didn't see any problems at all with the road. It's a lot better than a lot of roads that are very busy with trucks, with a 55 mph speed limit.

--- End quote ---

I believe it is a political thing.  Having stated that, there is a 20 mph railroad crossing about a mile or so north of VA 55 along that section.

froggie:

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The residents and politicians of Fauquier County don't want anything outside of Warrenton that impedes their idyllic concept of rural living.  That includes big smelly trucks and "through traffic".  I don't recall if it was lobbying VDOT or actual legislation they were able to push through the General Assembly, but they were successful in banning through trucks on 17 (requiring them to take 66 to 81) and forcing a 45mph speed limit even though the road is easily done at 55.

Yes, there's the nasty at-grade rail crossing at Delaplane, but there's 6 miles of well-designed highway north of that which would easily otherwise be 55mph.

Dirt Roads:

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: hbelkins on June 16, 2023, 11:47:15 PM ---And I don't understand why. When I drove that route, I didn't see any problems at all with the road. It's a lot better than a lot of roads that are very busy with trucks, with a 55 mph speed limit.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2023, 11:30:27 AM ---The residents and politicians of Fauquier County don't want anything outside of Warrenton that impedes their idyllic concept of rural living.  That includes big smelly trucks and "through traffic".  I don't recall if it was lobbying VDOT or actual legislation they were able to push through the General Assembly, but they were successful in banning through trucks on 17 (requiring them to take 66 to 81) and forcing a 45mph speed limit even though the road is easily done at 55.

Yes, there's the nasty at-grade rail crossing at Delaplane, but there's 6 miles of well-designed highway north of that which would easily otherwise be 55mph.

--- End quote ---

If I recall correctly, the US-17 crossing at Delaplane was the location of a deadly accident where a tractor-trailer lost its brakes downhill and crashed into the side of a train.  There were also similar safety issues with numerous truck traffic coming off of the Blue Ridge trying to slow down and make the right turn onto US-17 southbound at Sky Meadows.  My understanding is that after the rollout of the GPS network in the mid-1990s, too many inexperienced truckers were attempting to use US-17 as a shortcut.  [Don't remember the exact dates, but the final GPS satellite was commissioned in January 1994, and truckers quickly adopted the technology about the same time].

bluecountry:

--- Quote from: froggie on June 17, 2023, 11:30:27 AM ---

--- End quote ---

--- End quote ---

The residents and politicians of Fauquier County don't want anything outside of Warrenton that impedes their idyllic concept of rural living.  That includes big smelly trucks and "through traffic".  I don't recall if it was lobbying VDOT or actual legislation they were able to push through the General Assembly, but they were successful in banning through trucks on 17 (requiring them to take 66 to 81) and forcing a 45mph speed limit even though the road is easily done at 55.

--- End quote ---
Rich people in Virginia Hunt Country that don't want commoners driving through their neighborhood.
That area is super wealthy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version