News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Interstate 11 alignment, though Vegas and points north

Started by swbrotha100, October 16, 2012, 09:51:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ClassicHasClass on January 29, 2023, 01:41:33 PM
QuoteOnly if Pozo Road (old CA 178) and the La Panza town site get a dedicated exit.

Truck stop at Simmler!

Just a couple miles west of the I-40 San Andreas Fault/Soda Lake Overlook.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: cl94 on January 27, 2023, 10:09:12 PM
That would require it to cross the Cascades. While anything north of 80 is pure fiction at this point, Oregon may be the last state I'd expect to build another mile of new freeway, especially through national forest lands.

I think politically, there's a challenge at the moment, although I have to wonder if the transition to EVs will nullify that within a decade-or-so. It's one thing to be a Climate Doomer and say "We are drawing the line on freeways," it's another thing to be a Climate Doomer when 80% of your friends and neighbors are driving by battery powered by wind, solar and water. Maybe that's a pipe dream, but it's a hopeful one...

As for crossing the Cascades, the lowest pass is also the pass that makes the most sense for this project — Government Camp, at 4000'. It's rarely completely closed — and is often used by truck traffic when I-84 is closed through the Columbia River Gorge due to ice and snow (its elevation tends to protect it from the severe weather that hits at sea level, giving it more steady snow vs. the ice/snow mix in the Gorge).

More importantly, as Portland and Bend have grown, so has traffic on the 26 corridor, closing in on 11,000 ADT west of Government Camp and more than 6,200 ADT south of the Mt. Hood Meadows turnoff. Those are on par with other rural western interstates. And Bend remains the largest US city connected to the rest of the world exclusively by 2-lane roads. It's outright dangerous, and at some point, people are going to get tired of being scared to drive that road.

Sub-Urbanite

This may not be news, but the NDOT plans for the I-515 repaving / rehab contract from last fall included replacing all the 515 shields with I-11 shields from 215 to Charleston Boulevard.

pderocco

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 30, 2023, 05:09:05 PM
More importantly, as Portland and Bend have grown, so has traffic on the 26 corridor, closing in on 11,000 ADT west of Government Camp and more than 6,200 ADT south of the Mt. Hood Meadows turnoff. Those are on par with other rural western interstates. And Bend remains the largest US city connected to the rest of the world exclusively by 2-lane roads. It's outright dangerous, and at some point, people are going to get tired of being scared to drive that road.

That won't require replacing US-26 with I-11 or anything like it. It will require fourlaning it, and maybe dividing it. And that will be sufficient for another 30 years. I think we'll have flying cars (well, not me, I'll be long gone) before we have an interstate highway from Reno to Portland.

mgk920

Quote from: pderocco on January 31, 2023, 02:46:19 AM

That won't require replacing US-26 with I-11 or anything like it. It will require fourlaning it, and maybe dividing it. And that will be sufficient for another 30 years. I think we'll have flying cars (well, not me, I'll be long gone) before we have an interstate highway from Reno to Portland.

Howabout a highway that looks to be 'aspiring' to be I-11, like many in here believe that CA 58 is 'aspiring' to be a westward extension of I-40?

Mike

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 30, 2023, 05:09:45 PM
This may not be news, but the NDOT plans for the I-515 repaving / rehab contract from last fall included replacing all the 515 shields with I-11 shields from 215 to Charleston Boulevard.

That was news to me, as I was unaware of that project. But also interesting because NDOT just got the AASHTO approval for extending I-11 in October.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: roadfro on January 31, 2023, 11:42:00 AM

That was news to me, as I was unaware of that project. But also interesting because NDOT just got the AASHTO approval for extending I-11 in October.

Technically it's "mainline spot slab replacements, spall repair, and median barrier replacement; ramps coldmill with pbs and open grade; new median lighting and drainage improvements."

Interesting side note - the new signs in the contract plans keep the old US 95 exit numbers (measured from the CA/NV border) and not the new I-11 numbers from Hoover Dam.

pderocco

Quote from: mgk920 on January 31, 2023, 11:22:32 AM

Howabout a highway that looks to be 'aspiring' to be I-11, like many in here believe that CA 58 is 'aspiring' to be a westward extension of I-40?

I just doubt that much of US-26 will warrant fully controlled access. It could end up like US-395 in California's Owens Valley. That would be lovely. I prefer such roads, as long as the traffic isn't heavy.

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on January 31, 2023, 05:51:18 PM

Technically it's "mainline spot slab replacements, spall repair, and median barrier replacement; ramps coldmill with pbs and open grade; new median lighting and drainage improvements."

Interesting side note - the new signs in the contract plans keep the old US 95 exit numbers (measured from the CA/NV border) and not the new I-11 numbers from Hoover Dam.
That's not too surprising though on the exit numbers. It was years after signing I-580 and a separate contract unrelated to anything else (if not an in-house job) before NDOT changed the exit numbers to match 580 mileage instead US 395.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Scott5114

Do you have a link to it?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: roadfro on January 31, 2023, 10:39:42 PM

That's not too surprising though on the exit numbers. It was years after signing I-580 and a separate contract unrelated to anything else (if not an in-house job) before NDOT changed the exit numbers to match 580 mileage instead US 395.

EXCEPT they did the exit numbers in Henderson south of the Fiesta Bowl, so......

roadfro

Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 01, 2023, 09:25:48 AM

EXCEPT they did the exit numbers in Henderson south of the Fiesta Bowl, so......

IIRC, NDOT switching over I-515 to I-11 south of the 215/564 interchange was a pure signing contract. I believe they replaced a lot of the overhead signs in that stretch simultaneously (I think many of them may have been original to the mid-1990's opening of that stretch of freeway).

The stretch of I-515 between I-215 and Charleston has had several overhead signs replaced in the last few years, through one-offs or other projects. So it might be interesting to see what they're planning to replace with the signage plans.

When NDOT renumbered exits on US 395/I-580 here in Reno recently, they did it mostly with green-out/blue-out patches on the roadside signs and new exit tabs on the existing overheads (which resulted in a couple places where the main sign is in Clearview but the exit tab is in FHWA).

michravera

You are, of course, correct! We already have flying cars! I have a license to drive them and so do a half a million other Americans. Now, if I could just find one with a good enough STOL kit (or could afford one that's VTOL capable) to let me land in a parking lot, I'd probably buy one and drive it to work. Cameron Park, California was designed for people with flying cars.

Sub-Urbanite

Quote from: roadfro on February 02, 2023, 11:54:04 AM
Quote from: Sub-Urbanite on February 01, 2023, 09:25:48 AM

IIRC, NDOT switching over I-515 to I-11 south of the 215/564 interchange was a pure signing contract. I believe they replaced a lot of the overhead signs in that stretch simultaneously (I think many of them may have been original to the mid-1990's opening of that stretch of freeway).

The stretch of I-515 between I-215 and Charleston has had several overhead signs replaced in the last few years, through one-offs or other projects. So it might be interesting to see what they're planning to replace with the signage plans.

When NDOT renumbered exits on US 395/I-580 here in Reno recently, they did it mostly with green-out/blue-out patches on the roadside signs and new exit tabs on the existing overheads (which resulted in a couple places where the main sign is in Clearview but the exit tab is in FHWA).

That's what's weird. They actually *are* replacing the signs, exit number panels and exit markers. I'm curious if there was a deliberate decision or if someone goofed.

kernals12

You can't help but be impressed by how the engineers managed to clear a path through very rugged mountains for the freeway.

kkt

Quote from: kernals12 on April 10, 2023, 01:30:25 PM
You can't help but be impressed by how the engineers managed to clear a path through very rugged mountains for the freeway.

Dynamite and bulldozers.

Bobby5280

It's kind of fun to drive over. It's a slight annoyance going thru the security check point if you want to exit I-11 (onto what is now NV-172) to either drive over the top of Hoover Dam or park at the memorial plaza to walk out onto the Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge. Pretty cool sights to see there. Kind of sad about the really tall "bathtub ring" around Lake Mead. Seeing it in person is a bit different than just looking at photos.

SeriesE

Also rather avoidable had NDOT chosen a different routing

Bobby5280

I assume you mean upgrading along the existing US-93 alignment thru Boulder City, right? That wasn't do-able, at least not without buying and demolishing a significant number of properties (and inciting a lot of political blow-back). The new Boulder City bypass does follow a pretty loopy path but it was arguably the most practical to build.

kernals12

Quote from: kkt on April 10, 2023, 09:44:24 PM
Quote from: kernals12 on April 10, 2023, 01:30:25 PM

Dynamite and bulldozers.

Lots of dynamite

The Ghostbuster

Do they have a date on when they will renumber the rest of Interstate 515, and co-designate the rest of US 95 to NV 157 as Interstate 11? Or will we have to wait a few years for it to happen?

cl94

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on April 11, 2023, 01:14:33 PM
Do they have a date on when they will renumber the rest of Interstate 515, and co-designate the rest of US 95 to NV 157 as Interstate 11? Or will we have to wait a few years for it to happen?

Likely later this year. Enjoy the I-11 extension now, because it's probably the last one we'll see in Nevada for a loooooooong time (if ever). On which note, I was on US 95 south of Hawthorne on Saturday. There were periods when I couldn't even see another car on the road. Hard to imagine that ever becoming a freeway.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

The Ghostbuster

Even if Interstate 11 never reaches this point, exit 99 on US 95 should also be renumbered to correspond with the mileage of Interstate 11 from the Arizona/Nevada border on the Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cl94 on April 11, 2023, 02:11:21 PM

Likely later this year. Enjoy the I-11 extension now, because it's probably the last one we'll see in Nevada for a loooooooong time (if ever). On which note, I was on US 95 south of Hawthorne on Saturday. There were periods when I couldn't even see another car on the road. Hard to imagine that ever becoming a freeway.

But, but, but, if you build it they will come for Tonopah, Luning, Mina and Coaldale!

SeriesE

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 11, 2023, 02:54:49 PM
Quote from: cl94 on April 11, 2023, 02:11:21 PM

But, but, but, if you build it they will come for Tonopah, Luning, Mina and Coaldale!

Can't wait to see how such road can "induce demand" in the middle of nowhere :bigass:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.