News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Alberta's Highways

Started by aridawn, June 20, 2013, 07:15:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plutonic Panda

I was checking out some freeways around here and man if they ever get Trans Canada(1) up to interstate standards between Calgary and Vancouver that will be a very impressive freeway. It would be Canada's I-70/Glenwood canyon.

dmuzika

Quote from: Tom on August 21, 2020, 11:22:30 PM
I read there's a provincial highway in Alberta numbered 666.  I wonder if there's a move to have the highway renumbered (how about 888). :coffee:

The 500-900 series numbering (formerly Secondary Highways) is based on a grid, with 500s/600s running east-west and increase from south-to-north (i.e. AB 500 is near the Montana border), while the 700s/800s run north-south and increase from west-to-east (i.e. AB 899 is near the Saskatchewan border). If 666 were to be renumbered, which a quick Google search shows no indication, it would probably be 664.

900-series routes indicate future upgrades to the 1-216 series (formerly Primary Highway), i.e. AB 947 near Fox Creek will probably become part of AB 47 if it is ever extended southward to Edson.

dmuzika

Little late in posting, but a 12 km section of Tsuut'ina Trail (Hwy 201) opened between Fish Creek Blvd and Glenmore in Calgary October 1. It was the very long awaited portion of the SW Ring Road through the Tsuut'ina First Nation on the western edge of Calgary. The section between Fish Creek Blvd and Hwy 22X, is slated to open October 2021, while the West Ring Road between Hwy 8 and the TCH is slated to open in 2024, completing the ring road.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/tsuut-ina-trail-section-of-calgary-ring-road-opens-to-traffic-ceremony-interrupted-by-displaced-family-1.5128206

Stephane Dumas

Someone on Skyscraperpage forum had mentionned then the SW gap of AB-201 is now on Google Streetview.
https://goo.gl/maps/N6ctEQ2K1wtA1uTM9

jakeroot

Hopefully a basic question:

Anyone know why the southwest portion of the Ring Road was built with such a wide median? Are they planning an express setup?

From a BC perspective, Albertan roads seem gigantic. Not just the freeways, either. Many urban arterials seem to have very wide ROWs, and the intersections are very large with lots of clear-zone around them. Intersections without slip lanes also seem rare, at least along major roads. Slip lanes are common all over BC but not usually of the size or length seen in Alta.

Concrete Bob

The wide median was intended to incorporate a future Outer Ring Road.  The inner and outer ring roads would share right of way through the Tsuu Tina (spelling?) Reserve.  The rest of the outer ring road would run on a path roughly 10 miles/16 kilometers outside of AB 201.  The outer ring road is decades out from being built, provided it gets built at all.     

jakeroot

Quote from: Concrete Bob on January 31, 2021, 03:20:25 AM
The wide median was intended to incorporate a future Outer Ring Road.  The inner and outer ring roads would share right of way through the Tsuu Tina (spelling?) Reserve.  The rest of the outer ring road would run on a path roughly 10 miles/16 kilometers outside of AB 201.  The outer ring road is decades out from being built, provided it gets built at all.   

Ahh, I see. Interesting that it was decided to place the inner ring road on the outside, and the outer ring road on the inside. But hey, whatever floats their boat!

An outer ring road, at this point, does seem awfully lofty. But hey, more power to them.

dmuzika

Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2021, 02:59:39 PM

Ahh, I see. Interesting that it was decided to place the inner ring road on the outside, and the outer ring road on the inside. But hey, whatever floats their boat!

An outer ring road, at this point, does seem awfully lofty. But hey, more power to them.

It's more that the Outer and Inner Ring Roads would share the same alignment and have C/D lanes, but that's probably 50+ years away.

AB 2 between Edmonton and Leduc also was built extra wide to incorporate C/D lanes in the 1960s; some proposed improvements on the Alberta Transportation website show them being built but that's still a number of years away.

jakeroot

Quote from: dmuzika on January 31, 2021, 03:12:20 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on January 31, 2021, 02:59:39 PM

It's more that the Outer and Inner Ring Roads would share the same alignment and have C/D lanes, but that's probably 50+ years away.

AB 2 between Edmonton and Leduc also was built extra wide to incorporate C/D lanes in the 1960s; some proposed improvements on the Alberta Transportation website show them being built but that's still a number of years away.

Have you seen any documents that conceptualize a possible route for the Outer Ring Road?

dmuzika

I saw something a number of years ago, but it's been taken down. A local blogger makes reference to the conceptual Outer Ring Road at https://calgaryringroad.wordpress.com/2012/05/03/2009-southwest-calgary-ring-road-design/. His blog also gives a good background of the sorted history and the ups and downs leading up to the negotiation and construction of Tsuut'ina Trail. I think since the initial design of the roadway, the outer ring road has fallen out of favor, and there has been criticism about the freeway being overbuilt.

In intersecting side note, the Shaganappi Trail / Stoney Trail interchange was graded with an ultimate stage construction of a stack interchange; its currently a 3 lane parclo with high-massed lighting but on opening day in 2009, it was just a flyover. When NW Stoney was designed, it looked like plans were for Shaganappi Trail to be north-south freeway (see http://www.transportation.alberta.ca/Content/docType490/production/UL_mdle.pdf). Fast-forward to today and the city has downgraded its ultimate plans for Shaganappi, there has been significant development along the corridor and it's still a wide, limited-access roadway, but there are enough intersections to indicate it won't be a full-freeway. Even the proposed interchange expansion at Stoney Trail is simply twinning the bridge; https://www.calgary.ca/content/dam/www/transportation/ti/publishingimages/road-projects/north-stoney-tr-interchanges/stoney-tr-shaganappi-tr-interchange-design-map.jpg.

dmuzika

Alberta private member's bill would increase some highway speed limits to 120 km/h
Caley Ramsay, Global News
QuoteA private member's bill has been introduced which, if passed, would increase the speed limit on some Alberta highways.

UCP MLA Searle Turton introduced Bill 213: the Traffic Safety (Maximum Speed Limit for Provincial Freeways) Amendment Act on Wednesday.

If passed, the bill would set the maximum speed limit for many provincial freeways at 120 kilometres per hour [75 MPH].

"Bill 213 would allow motorists to use our freeways at the speeds they were designed and engineered for, and match posted speed limits with the realistic speeds commuters follow. Evidence shows this would make our freeways safer,"  Turton said in a news release Thursday.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7690854/alberta-private-members-bill-highway-speed/

Interesting that the article alludes to both freeways and divided highways. If it was strictly rural freeways, then technically only the Hwy 2 between Edmonton & Calgary, Hwy 1 between Calgary and Banff National Park, and a short stretch of Hwy 16 would qualify; however if it was divided highways then it would broaden the scope. There are some pretty isolated divided highways that aren't technically freeways where you could probably get away with 120 km/h, traffic is likely travelling that speed or higher anyways.

cbeach40

Quote from: dmuzika on March 11, 2021, 05:33:37 PM
https://globalnews.ca/news/7690854/alberta-private-members-bill-highway-speed/

Interesting that the article alludes to both freeways and divided highways. If it was strictly rural freeways, then technically only the Hwy 2 between Edmonton & Calgary, Hwy 1 between Calgary and Banff National Park, and a short stretch of Hwy 16 would qualify; however if it was divided highways then it would broaden the scope. There are some pretty isolated divided highways that aren't technically freeways where you could probably get away with 120 km/h, traffic is likely travelling that speed or higher anyways.

The text of the bill states:
"provincial freeway"  means a provincial highway designated as a freeway under section 4 of the Highways Development and Protection Act that is located outside of an urban area

and

(c) by adding the following after clause (a):
(a.1) 120 kilometres per hour is the maximum speed limit for a provincial freeway that is not subject to an order made under subsection (2);
https://docs.assembly.ab.ca/LADDAR_files/docs/bills/bill/legislature_30/session_2/20200225_bill-213.pdf

So it might not be based on design criteria but rather functional classification, which if like other provinces would leave the door open to freeway-like divided highways. Ultimately the wording has left the locations to the discretion of the Alberta Ministry of Transportation's traffic engineering folks, where could actually safely be posted at 120 km/h.
and waterrrrrrr!

BigManFromAFRICA88

Anybody know what future plans there are, if any, for that super wide northeast curve of Stoney Trail (between Country Hills Blvd and 60 St NE)? It's always made me curious, and I can't find anything myself...

Concrete Bob

About five or ten years ago, I believe I read on the old " Yahoo Canroads" site that a northward extension to a point north of Airdrie to AB-2 was in planning at Stoney Trail's wide "bend." Once the new corridor was complete, AB-2 would be re-routed along the east side of Calgary along the existing Stoney Trail, along with a southern extension of Stoney Trail that would join existing AB-2 near Okotoks.  In essence, the east side of AB-201 would become AB-2.

Then, the province would relegate Deerfoot Trail to the City of Calgary and all other affected local municipalities.     

BigManFromAFRICA88

Quote from: Concrete Bob on April 13, 2021, 12:00:40 AM
About five or ten years ago, I believe I read on the old " Yahoo Canroads" site that a northward extension to a point north of Airdrie to AB-2 was in planning at Stoney Trail's wide "bend." Once the new corridor was complete, AB-2 would be re-routed along the east side of Calgary along the existing Stoney Trail, along with a southern extension of Stoney Trail that would join existing AB-2 near Okotoks.  In essence, the east side of AB-201 would become AB-2.

Then, the province would relegate Deerfoot Trail to the City of Calgary and all other affected local municipalities.     

Very interesting, thanks!

Stephane Dumas

I wonder if there's some long-range plans for AB-14 to remove the current intersections between AB-216 and AB-21 as well as extending the 4-lanes section a bit further to the east?

dmuzika

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on April 18, 2021, 09:59:48 AM
I wonder if there's some long-range plans for AB-14 to remove the current intersections between AB-216 and AB-21 as well as extending the 4-lanes section a bit further to the east?

I think I saw something about conceptual long term plans to twin AB 14 to Tofield, but I don't think traffic demands are there at this point. Short answer is not for a very long time.

Stephane Dumas

I saw this news posted on Skyscraperpage forums, there's a new interchange coming on AB-2 and 40 avenue at Airdrie.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/construction-begins-on-83m-qeii-interchange-project-near-airdrie-1.5405963

The growth of Airdrie is spectacular since the 1970s when we compare with a photo taken in 1974 then I saw at http://www.prairie-towns.com/airdrie-images.html

Edit: Here some aerial photos showing how Airdrie had grown from the 1950s to the early 2010s. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7216263&postcount=271

dmuzika

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 02, 2021, 08:43:43 AM
I saw this news posted on Skyscraperpage forums, there's a new interchange coming on AB-2 and 40 avenue at Airdrie.
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/construction-begins-on-83m-qeii-interchange-project-near-airdrie-1.5405963

The growth of Airdrie is spectacular since the 1970s when we compare with a photo taken in 1974 then I saw at http://www.prairie-towns.com/airdrie-images.html

Edit: Here some aerial photos showing how Airdrie had grown from the 1950s to the early 2010s. http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7216263&postcount=271

Airdrie's growth is pretty crazy, I wonder when it will pass Lethbridge and Red Deer to become the 3rd largest city in the province? It would have to surpass 100K but that's doable based on it's more recent growth.

I'm curious if a second commuter highway into Calgary will be considered. Highway 2/Deerfoot Trail can have its issues, especially in the winter, that cause big delays during the rush. Compare it to Edmonton-Sherwood Park (3 routes) or Edmonton-Spruce Grove/Stony Plain (2 routes) and the population would probably support it. Maybe a northern extension of Dwight Mclennan (Metis) Trail from Balzac.

Airdrie could also use a regular hospital, but that's a conversation for another board. :)

Alps

Quote from: dmuzika on May 05, 2021, 01:07:04 AMAirdrie's growth is pretty crazy, I wonder when it will pass Lethbridge and Red Deer to become the 3rd largest city in the province? It would have to surpass 100K but that's doable based on it's more recent growth.

I'm curious if a second commuter highway into Calgary will be considered. Highway 2/Deerfoot Trail can have its issues, especially in the winter, that cause big delays during the rush. Compare it to Edmonton-Sherwood Park (3 routes) or Edmonton-Spruce Grove/Stony Plain (2 routes) and the population would probably support it. Maybe a northern extension of Dwight Mclennan (Metis) Trail from Balzac.
The question is where you would put that second route. Tie it into the east side of 201?

dmuzika

Quote from: Alps on May 05, 2021, 06:54:18 PM
Quote from: dmuzika on May 05, 2021, 01:07:04 AMAirdrie's growth is pretty crazy, I wonder when it will pass Lethbridge and Red Deer to become the 3rd largest city in the province? It would have to surpass 100K but that's doable based on it's more recent growth.

The question is where you would put that second route. Tie it into the east side of 201?

I guess it depends what kind of standard. If going for an arterial, one could extend Dwight McLennan Tr north from from Hwy 566 to Yankee Valley Blvd or Hwy 567 as it integrates well into Calgary's road network, but there's a number of acreages in between Balzac and Airdrie so it could never be a freeway. Maybe an alternative is having Range Road 292 could tie into Metis Trail, and upgrading it north of Hwy 566.

An easy win would be to upgrade 14 St NE (Calgary)/Range Road 11/8 St SW (Airdrie), an existing rural road with ROW for an interchange along Stoney Trail, but it's more of a collector road in Calgary that ends in an industrial park south of Country Hills Blvd. Further west, Range Road 13/Harvest Hills Blvd/Centre St has similar issues where it ends at Beddington Trail - both options would force traffic back onto Deerfoot Trail.

I've heard that the ROW exists for a northern extension of the East Freeway (i.e. the northeast corner of Stoney Trail), but that's a ways off and would put traffic significantly east of Airdrie, so it might not be that useful but would serve more-so as an Airdrie regional bypass. Another option could be to link Shaganappi Trail to Hwy 772, but it is located significantly west of Airdie.

Stephane Dumas

I saw this proposal for Yellowhead highway in Edmonton on Skyscraperpage between St. Albert Trail and 97th Street.
https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9341261&postcount=828
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT6uRYlTeUg

jakeroot

Pretty neat!

Edmonton seems to no longer install permissive left turns for two lanes, but this proposal seems to be adding at least one permissive right turn with two lanes (southbound 127 St to westbound Yellowhead Trail). I know there are more than a few around town. Slip lane style of course.

yeggator

Wow, I can't believe I found this forum, but I'm glad I did. I guess my first contribution here will be an answer to the question about Highway 14. Not too long ago, Strathcona County realized that Sherwood Park was about to be fully developed and they needed to find another location for a second urban development area in the county. The two options they narrowed it down to were an area called Colchester, bounded by Highway 628, Highway 21, Highway 14 and Anthony Henday Drive, as well as an area called Bremner located north of Yellowhead Trail and east of Highway 21. Under the Colchester plan, Highway 14 was provisioned to be a freeway with one service interchange between Highway 21 and the Henday, but ultimately, the county wanted to develop Bremner instead (a move which was very controversial because Bremner sits on top-quality farmland, while the land in Colchester was already less suitable for agriculture). So I guess we won't be seeing development on Highway 14 for a while.

Here's the Colchester plan btw: https://www.strathcona.ca/files/files/at-pds-colchester_gms.pdf

AsphaltPlanet

I have a question....

Does anyone know why the median of Stoney Trail in Calgary gets extra wide for a short distance between McKnight and 16th Avenue?  Is it for a proposed interchange at 32nd Ave NE?  Or some other flyover ramp for 16th Ave?

I've always been curious of this.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.