News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

New Jersey Turnpike

Started by hotdogPi, December 22, 2013, 09:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D-Dey65

Quote from: vdeane on August 15, 2015, 04:36:11 PM
Quote from: cpzilliacus on August 14, 2015, 05:44:24 PM
Quote from: Rothman on August 14, 2015, 04:36:16 PM
Perhaps NJ is relying more on mobile weigh checks like NY?

I do wonder why some large toll roads (including the NYS Thruway, the N.J. Turnpike; the Pennsylvania Turnpike; and the Ohio Turnpike) do not have any stationary weight enforcement at all. 

The Pennsylvania Turnpike does weigh vehicles entering its ticket system, so in that sense does have weight enforcement by just keeping them off that part of its system, but that's not going to work in an all-AET environment.
The Thruway actually has a couple truck inspection stations; one heading north between exits 19-20, and one heading west between exits 28-29.
Something else I remember the Thruway having was an area where tandem trucks would drop off and/or pick up tow dollies north of Exit 15. I don't know why a truck weigh station couldn't be installed there.

But getting back to the New Jersey Turnpike, there's a beauty who works at the Walt Whitman Service Area.

:love:

storm2k

The MUTCD sign replacement project has piked up steam along the Eastern spur, with new gantries rolling out at a pretty good clip. It means that a lot of the old school signage that's survived for 40 some odd years (like Exit 17 advance signage) is on death watch.

roadman65

I think those signs are even longer than that!  The ones approaching Exit 17 from the north were erected when the original Exit 18 toll plaza was removed for the current 16E-18E plaza and the relocation of Exit 17 from Route 3 proper to where it is at now as a one way coin drop to and from Route 495.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

noelbotevera

Quote from: roadman65 on September 06, 2015, 04:46:28 PM
I think those signs are even longer than that!  The ones approaching Exit 17 from the north were erected when the original Exit 18 toll plaza was removed for the current 16E-18E plaza and the relocation of Exit 17 from Route 3 proper to where it is at now as a one way coin drop to and from Route 495.
I'm going this way in 2017, do you think they can hang on for that long?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

SignBridge

Roadman65 is correct about the Exits 16E-17-18E history. Those southbound Exit 17 signs went up circa 1964 when the new interchange was built. That big arcing exit ramp seemed really cool to this young adolescent around that time! BTW the posted exit toll was 15 cents if you can believe that.

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: SignBridge on September 06, 2015, 08:18:07 PM
Roadman65 is correct about the Exits 16E-17-18E history. Those southbound Exit 17 signs went up circa 1964 when the new interchange was built. That big arcing exit ramp seemed really cool to this young adolescent around that time! BTW the posted exit toll was 15 cents if you can believe that.

I noticed for some signs it takes a while (months?) for the foundations to stabilize. 

ANY news on the Black button copy Tpke signage on NJ-495 approaching the Tpke? 
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 06, 2015, 10:23:55 PM

I noticed for some signs it takes a while (months?) for the foundations to stabilize. 

ANY news on the Black button copy Tpke signage on NJ-495 approaching the Tpke? 
Very dark painted green, but not actually black - and about to disappear I've heard, but I don't know that it's tied to any specific project.

roadman65

You know that ramp is cool and I always noticed something about it that was totally different from the other turnpike bridges.  It seemed like it did not belong because other turnpike bridges all had the same designs such as the rounded bottom piers and further south with Exit 6 northbound's on ramp having the same angle across the roadway as Exit 17 does, it featured more modern design features.  It always struck me, but never really gave it a second thought until recently when I saw aerials from the past.  Had the current Exit 17 been built with the original turnpike you would have that typical turnpike design as the Exit 6 bridge has.

Also, for years I often wondered why the two exit numbers 16 and 17 (later 16E and 17) existed for the same interchange. I thought that was because of the barrier coin drop on 17 and the ticket for 16 (16E), but after seeing that the original Exit 17 was an interchange directly with ramps leading to NJ 3,  I then realized the real reason.  I also found, in addition,  that unlike the usual trumpet to trumpet interchanges that other original with two separate toll features instead of the usual trumpet to trumpet interchanges (or at least shared ramps with one single plaza as 13 and 14 were not really trumpets), that there were two Exit 17 toll plazas with only partial movements.  One plaza for the southbound exit which only allowed access to and from the EB lanes of NJ 3, and another for the northbound exit which only allowed movement to and from the WB lanes of NJ 3 is seen in historic aerials.

Also Exit 12 was only to and from the south with, I believe with a half diamond and again two plazas.  Plus the original Exit 13 did not connect with either the Goethals Bridge nor NJ 439 directly (278 was only a proposal at the time) and other discoveries are so cool to learn on historic aerials.

Edit: I mean to say Exit 12 was to and from the north and yes it was half diamond.

Sheryl Crowe

SignBridge

Roadman65, if you haven't already seen it, check out the Images of America series book "The New Jersey Turnpike". It has the complete history of the construction of the Turnpike and lots of photos of the original interchanges, etc. Well worth the cost of the book, about $20. 

Mergingtraffic

Anybody know when this was put up on NJ-495?

I'd expect this and the other 3 in the area will soon be replaced as well?
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

Alps

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 09, 2015, 01:27:02 PM

Probably when the interchange was built in the 1950s. After all, it references US 46 as the northern terminus.

SignBridge

I believe that sign was erected circa 1964 as part of that same Interchange 16-17 reconstruction. Before that you could not access the northbound NJT directly from what is now called Route 495. You had to exit onto Route-3 and enter the Turnpike northbound at the original Interchange-17.

storm2k

The sign bridge is going up. One of the support arms is up, and the other one and the truss are on site. This sign will be replaced very soon.

noelbotevera

nah. these signs are invincible, why replace them?
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

The Nature Boy

I drove the NJ Turnpike last week and I will say that the I missed the old button copy and the light up signage. It always screamed "New Jersey!" to me.

noelbotevera

I'm going to be stuck here in Pennsylvania for the next two, three years. I'm probably heading to Boston and see if the signs are up in 2017/2018. We use the NJTP around this area.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

roadman65

Quote from: storm2k on September 13, 2015, 01:35:58 AM

The sign bridge is going up. One of the support arms is up, and the other one and the truss are on site. This sign will be replaced very soon.
I hate to see "TO US 46" and "Pa-Del-Md" as well.  I know the MUTCD and since the interchange was added a lot to the area has changed, like I-95 coming and extending the Turnpike to the GWB and stuff, but its nice to leave at least this sign anyway.

Change the rest to include I-95 and add "Newark" and "Trenton" to the signs at the split for the SB NJT, and then add " G. Washington Br." for NB NJT and even maybe add shields for I-78 and I-280 as well as I-80 like they briefly did at the gore point to replace the old SOUTH Newark Airport and NORTH I-95 & US 46 that were there previously.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

Man, if Philly didn't get enough of a shaft getting left off of MD's signs on I-95, now NJ is giving the city the same treatment. All of the southbound signs are likely going to say Camden and/or Trenton at this point!

ekt8750

Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 13, 2015, 04:24:41 PM
Man, if Philly didn't get enough of a shaft getting left off of MD's signs on I-95, now NJ is giving the city the same treatment. All of the southbound signs are likely going to say Camden and/or Trenton at this point!

Nah with the 95 completion you'll likely see Camden/Philadelphia control cities.

NJRoadfan

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 13, 2015, 07:02:49 PM
Nah with the 95 completion you'll likely see Camden/Philadelphia control cities.

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/documents/SD-NJTA-SL18.pdf

All the new MUTCD signing that has been installed has used either Trenton or Camden as the southbound control city thus far. I think the only installed sign that has Philadelphia on it is the ones at Exit 6 which have it covered up at the moment.

noelbotevera

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 13, 2015, 07:02:49 PM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 13, 2015, 04:24:41 PM

Philadelphia should've got a spot on the NJ Turnpike control cities decades ago.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

SignBridge

Roadman65, I'm with you. When driving west from the Lincoln Tunnel enroute to Penna. or Virginia and I pass under that sign for Pa-Del-Md, and see the Turnpike in the distance I know I'm on my way. I too will be sorry to see that sign disappear.  It's been there since I was a kid. 

thenetwork

The white (or formally yellow-now-faded) stripe on the bottom of the sign -- did that once have text???

roadman65

I am not against Philly being on it, but with Newark being NJ largest city and on the signs for I-95 from the Bronx southward, it will most likely be on it with either Camden or Trenton with it.

Yes Maryland won't let Philly be signed from Baltimore northward and Delaware uses its own Wilmington with NJ-NY, up until after I-295 then Philly comes into ramp signs.

The problem is that the NJT is the defacto I-95 and Philadelphia is miles away from the NJT mainline.

Yes, another part of road history gone like the Exit 6 gantry now a memory as well.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: thenetwork on September 13, 2015, 11:32:10 PM

The white (or formally yellow-now-faded) stripe on the bottom of the sign -- did that once have text???

No the lane control arrows for the contraflow bus lane is there and its just to help with the contrast of the arrows.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.