News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeffy

Quote from: NJRoadfan on April 30, 2015, 04:01:01 PM
Apparently some people in New Jersey don't know where Camden is. The MUTCD policy to eliminate river crossings as control cities is mentioned too: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/ask_commutinglarry_why_are_the_signs_on_the_parkway_are_changing.html

Who thought the most anti-MUTCD agency of all would become the strictest?

How the hell do you not know where Camden is if you live in this state? Just look next to Philadelphia, across the Delaware River and you'll find it soon enough.

Also, I thought the FHWA was literally forcing the NJTA to implement their standards into their signs.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Don'tKnowYet

Apparently some people in New Jersey don't know where Camden is. The MUTCD policy to eliminate river crossings as control cities is mentioned too: http://www.nj.com/traffic/index.ssf/2015/04/ask_commutinglarry_why_are_the_signs_on_the_parkway_are_changing.html

Oh for Christ sake. This guy claims it's a familiar sign, but drove right by the exit?  I call bullshit. What, did he think they moved his exit?

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Zeffy on April 30, 2015, 04:09:41 PM

How the hell do you not know where Camden is if you live in this state? Just look next to Philadelphia, across the Delaware River and you'll find it soon enough.

Also, I thought the FHWA was literally forcing the NJTA to implement their standards into their signs.

Fact: Not everyone is good at geography.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2015, 02:09:57 AM
Quote from: storm2k on April 28, 2015, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
I wonder though if the NB GSP is still using the three cities of Cranford, Rosselle Park, and Elizabeth at 137 being that the new 132 signs feature only two cities now with Iselin being removed there I would figure they would sacrifice one here too.

Not anymore. Control cities are Elizabeth and Cranford NB and Roselle Park and Cranford SB. Most signs are going on a diet to be MUTCD compliant.
Then Exit 136 which uses three destinations as well (all three east of the Parkway, with the SB Parkway having to make a u turn on Centennial Avenue to access all three), I take, must of had one of them removed as well.

To me Roselle should not be used going SB anyway, as it is better served via NJ 28 as the borough is located just to the south of NJ 28 immediately east of the Parkway.   Also Cranford should be used (and it was used prior to 1980 for Exit 136) as NB Centennial Avenue happens to service Downtown Cranford.  It never seemed right that all three destinations were in one direction (east) only  and also with Winfield Park one of them that is a very small community that should be on an auxillary sign.

136 eliminated Winfield Park in both directions. Now just Linden and Roselle. I didn't know where Winfield Park even was until last year or so when I noticed some signs for it driving to the parkway at 136 from 27 in Linden.

storm2k

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on April 29, 2015, 10:36:33 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm certain that "rusted" brown gantry on the Garden State Parkway in Woodbridge, just before the Metropark Amtrak/NJ Transit train station, wasn't there a few months ago? This was looking northward on a southbound train to Philadelphia on Tuesday morning, April 28th:

The same bridge, from January 28, 2012...for comparison's sake:

:hmmm:

The rusted looking gantries are a GSP tradition. They are all over the place elsewhere on the Parkway. Now both the Turnpike and the Parkway are implementing them statewide. In fact, the aluminum gantries in the Middlesex-Union segment is one of the only places with those style gantries, as most of the signage was erected by NJDOT and not the NJHA in the early 80s (since NJDOT had jurisdiction over that section until 1987).

storm2k

Interesting development on the signage replacement project. They are replacing some of the signs erected during the 142 improvements. They've replaced the 1 mile approach sign for 142A-B going NB. Also new signage for 141 and 140/140A (or whatever they'll be numbered once the NJTA renumbers them) going SB. I'm surprised since they designed those signs to be MUTCD-ish compliant. They were only installed a few years ago. Not sure why they're being replaced, honestly.

The other thing that baffles me is why they're not taking the effort to move the advance signage for the Union Toll Plaza to an overhead gantry. Good luck seeing that "Union Toll Plaza 1 Mile" sign tucked away as an afterthought on the shoulder. Also, those dinky "Car toll $1.50" signs are worthless when you're on a road that's about 5-7 lanes wide approaching the toll plaza. I know we'll never get true MUTCD compliant toll signage on the Parkway, but they could do a bit better. I mean, they did it for all the EZ Pass Express plazas, why not the others?

roadman65

I can tell you from living in New Jersey at one time.  The Parkway always had its own way of doing things, especially with tolls.  Other toll roads kept the attended lanes on the right and the coin drops to the left, they always scattered them except at Great Egg and Cape May where they got that one right.  Most likely cause those two toll plazas were the smallest of the 11 tolls it did not have much lanes to play with.

I am surprised that the GSP is going along with this, but they are.

BTW, is "Holland Tunnel" still the EB US 22 control point on Exit 140 going NB?  I do not have a problem with it as that was how I always went to the Tunnel when I lived in Clark and you have the same amount of traffic lights going 140 as you do going 142.  In fact the same 4 in Jersey City as both approaches use the signalized section of I-78 to reach the tunnel.  However, if the MUTCD frowns now upon crossings as control cities, I would think this would have to go.  Also Hillside is along the way and it gets no mention until after the Union Toll Plaza at Exit 142C for Union Avenue.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on April 30, 2015, 11:31:34 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 30, 2015, 02:09:57 AM
Quote from: storm2k on April 28, 2015, 08:27:34 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 27, 2015, 04:25:11 PM
I wonder though if the NB GSP is still using the three cities of Cranford, Rosselle Park, and Elizabeth at 137 being that the new 132 signs feature only two cities now with Iselin being removed there I would figure they would sacrifice one here too.

Not anymore. Control cities are Elizabeth and Cranford NB and Roselle Park and Cranford SB. Most signs are going on a diet to be MUTCD compliant.
Then Exit 136 which uses three destinations as well (all three east of the Parkway, with the SB Parkway having to make a u turn on Centennial Avenue to access all three), I take, must of had one of them removed as well.

To me Roselle should not be used going SB anyway, as it is better served via NJ 28 as the borough is located just to the south of NJ 28 immediately east of the Parkway.   Also Cranford should be used (and it was used prior to 1980 for Exit 136) as NB Centennial Avenue happens to service Downtown Cranford.  It never seemed right that all three destinations were in one direction (east) only  and also with Winfield Park one of them that is a very small community that should be on an auxillary sign.

136 eliminated Winfield Park in both directions. Now just Linden and Roselle. I didn't know where Winfield Park even was until last year or so when I noticed some signs for it driving to the parkway at 136 from 27 in Linden.
Winfield Park was probably a legacy from the original Parkway signing in the early 50s.

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on May 01, 2015, 05:41:55 PM
BTW, is "Holland Tunnel" still the EB US 22 control point on Exit 140 going NB?  I do not have a problem with it as that was how I always went to the Tunnel when I lived in Clark and you have the same amount of traffic lights going 140 as you do going 142.  In fact the same 4 in Jersey City as both approaches use the signalized section of I-78 to reach the tunnel.  However, if the MUTCD frowns now upon crossings as control cities, I would think this would have to go.  Also Hillside is along the way and it gets no mention until after the Union Toll Plaza at Exit 142C for Union Avenue.

Nope. 140 is signed for Hillside now.

SignBridge

Roadman re: the GSP's history of toll-lane configuration; back in the 1960's they used to have the "exact-change" lanes (coin-drops) all the way on the right, contrary to normal toll road practice. At least at the Essex Toll Plaza Northbound anyway. I assume they were all like that back then.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on May 01, 2015, 10:38:09 PM
Roadman re: the GSP's history of toll-lane configuration; back in the 1960's they used to have the "exact-change" lanes (coin-drops) all the way on the right, contrary to normal toll road practice. At least at the Essex Toll Plaza Northbound anyway. I assume they were all like that back then.
Interesting, as I always wondered that one.  One thing I will admit that I like the Parkway does is have a steady green light for the attended lanes and flashing green for coin drops.  Then later when the tokens came in it was double green, and of course now its flashing yellow for EZ Pass.

If you know the lane control signals on the plazas itself, then finding an attendant for change was not that hard.  After I figured it out it made travel much easier through the plazas.  However, most of the motoring public has not figured these things out unfortunately.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

NJRoadfan

The old signs marking the lane types weren't the best, so the lights were helpful. For those who have never seen them, the pre-E-ZPass lane signing was as follows:

-Full Service: No banner
-Exact Change: "TOKEN OR EXACT CHANGE ONLY" Black text on orange.

-Tokens Only: "TOKEN ONLY" Black text on White mounted above the plaza.

Sign itself isn't viable, but you can see it mounted above.

These signs were phased out as E-ZPass was installed in 2001-2002.

storm2k

I also like how the Parkway has the lane assignment markings on the road. I'm not sure if they're the first to do this, but it makes things a lot easier. The Thruway now has this at the TZB toll plaza. Fair trade, I think, since I think the Parkway copped the "pick a lane" signage from the Thruway Authority (red for staffed cash lanes, blue for coin drop lanes, and green/purple for EZ-Pass).

NJRoadfan

The lane assignment markings started on the Parkway. It was setup due to an optical illusion at the plaza, people thought they were in one lane, but were really in another because of the way the road curved before the plaza. This lead to last minute toll lane switches and accidents. The pick a lane signs are definitely from the Thurway.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on May 04, 2015, 10:44:42 AM
I also like how the Parkway has the lane assignment markings on the road. I'm not sure if they're the first to do this, but it makes things a lot easier. The Thruway now has this at the TZB toll plaza. Fair trade, I think, since I think the Parkway copped the "pick a lane" signage from the Thruway Authority (red for staffed cash lanes, blue for coin drop lanes, and green/purple for EZ-Pass).
The red/blue/green are MUTCD standards.

Enginerd

Does anyone know when construction from 98-83 is supposed to wrap up?  I commute through this section of the parkway, the paving job through the area is terrible.  I think Helen Keller was hired to do the temporary paving.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Enginerd on May 04, 2015, 10:05:41 PM
Does anyone know when construction from 98-83 is supposed to wrap up?  I commute through this section of the parkway, the paving job through the area is terrible.  I think Helen Keller was hired to do the temporary paving.

Can you describe what is wrong with it?

NJRoadfan

Likely the faithful reproduction of Mr Toad's Wild Ride if its still like it was last year.

jeffandnicole

http://www.state.nj.us/turnpike/public_hearing_Interchange_0.html

Garden State Parkway Interchange 0 Improvement project public meeting - May 20, 4-6pm.

storm2k

Looks like new signage is up around 140-140A going SB with the exit tabs covered so the change in exit numbers will be happening there in the next few weeks.

Enginerd

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 05, 2015, 06:09:46 AM

It looks like this:

jeffandnicole

Quote from: Enginerd on May 06, 2015, 11:38:23 AM

It looks like this:

It would be nice to have a serious discussion about it, rather than act like this forum is a comments section on a newspaper website.

Enginerd

Quote from: jeffandnicole on May 06, 2015, 11:53:17 AM
Quote from: Enginerd on May 06, 2015, 11:38:23 AM

It looks like this:

It would be nice to have a serious discussion about it, rather than act like this forum is a comments section on a newspaper website.

Gladly.  Do you know if the contractor is bound to a certain finish date?  Do you know when the cattle chute will be eliminated?  There is also a section from 83-87 that appears to be final paved - is that the final pavement or is the contractor going to do a complete superpave job the entire length of the job once all construction is completed? The section that appears complete is rather bumpy.

storm2k

Got a chance to get a bunch of pictures of the new Parkway signs from 135 to 142.

njunderground

Oh man! Yeah, you got that right!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.