News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Garden State Parkway

Started by Roadrunner75, July 30, 2014, 09:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveG1988

The contractor for the new Great Egg Harbor bridge has been updating their website with photos of the progress. Amazing how far they've gotten. http://www.wagman.com/gafc/projects/Garden-State-Parkway-over-Great-Egg-Harbor-Bay.asp#1
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

storm2k

The NJTA issued an advisory that the 89A ramps on the Parkway are opening this week: http://www.nj.gov/turnpike/documents/ADVISORY_new_ramps_opening_at_gsp_exit_89_CX.pdf

This brings full access to all directions of Rt 70 and CR-528 from both directions of the Parkway.

SignBridge

Roadman, did you say that GSP is going back to putting city names above street names on their signs? Interesting 'cause that's what they had back in the 1960's on their "original" signing, with the street name in upper case letters. I seem to remember at Exit-145 (before I-280 was built) the signs read: "E. Orange, Newark, CENTRAL AVE, NEXT RIGHT". Many GSP exits were formatted that way back then.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: storm2k on June 11, 2015, 02:48:34 PM
The NJTA issued an advisory that the 89A ramps on the Parkway are opening this week: http://www.nj.gov/turnpike/documents/ADVISORY_new_ramps_opening_at_gsp_exit_89_CX.pdf

This brings full access to all directions of Rt 70 and CR-528 from both directions of the Parkway.
The northbound exit 89 ramps are open as of earlier this week.  Here's a photo:

There is also a nice video of the new exit ramps on the Asbury Park Press's website along with a schedule for the opening of all of the ramps at this link:
http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/commuting/2015/06/10/gsp-exit-dead-long-live-exit/71040196/
It looks like we have a few weeks to go before the southbound on-ramps are open. 

storm2k

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 12, 2015, 12:23:40 AM
Quote from: storm2k on June 11, 2015, 02:48:34 PM

The northbound exit 89 ramps are open as of earlier this week.  Here's a photo:

There is also a nice video of the new exit ramps on the Asbury Park Press's website along with a schedule for the opening of all of the ramps at this link:
http://www.app.com/story/news/traffic/commuting/2015/06/10/gsp-exit-dead-long-live-exit/71040196/
It looks like we have a few weeks to go before the southbound on-ramps are open. 

Looks like quite a few APL's at this interchange. Also looks like they used them properly, unlike at 142B-C.

Alps

Quote from: storm2k on June 12, 2015, 06:37:33 PM
Looks like quite a few APL's at this interchange. Also looks like they used them properly, unlike at 142B-C.
That's because the best sign engineer in the business designed them (and that's not me).

vdeane

Why did they go with 89A-B instead of 88-89?  In NY it's more typical to see exits joined by c/d roads like that retain their numbers, even if they are effectively joined into one interchange. Exits 26-28 on I-81 come to mind (as do exits 22/23/24) as well as exits 6-7 on I-87.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

roadman65

Quote from: SignBridge on June 11, 2015, 08:49:35 PM
Roadman, did you say that GSP is going back to putting city names above street names on their signs? Interesting 'cause that's what they had back in the 1960's on their "original" signing, with the street name in upper case letters. I seem to remember at Exit-145 (before I-280 was built) the signs read: "E. Orange, Newark, CENTRAL AVE, NEXT RIGHT". Many GSP exits were formatted that way back then.
Well its been a thing since the mid 90's that every new road sign being added had that.  At Exit 124 it read Sayreville- South Amboy with a line across underneath it with Main St. (mixed casing) in a separate box.   The Exit 141 for Vauxhall Road is the same and so it southbound for Lyons Avenue in Irvington.  The last GSV image still showed them.

Edit: I fixed a typo.  Exit 131 was never for Vauxhall Road. Lol!
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Alps

Quote from: vdeane on June 12, 2015, 07:19:16 PM
Why did they go with 89A-B instead of 88-89?  In NY it's more typical to see exits joined by c/d roads like that retain their numbers, even if they are effectively joined into one interchange. Exits 26-28 on I-81 come to mind (as do exits 22/23/24) as well as exits 6-7 on I-87.
Because in the Parkway mindset, this is now one joined interchange, so it gets one number. There was discussion about what to do and this is what they decided.

SignBridge

You're right Roadman. I just looked at a bunch of GSP signs on Google Earth. I'm surprised they're continuing that signing format with the street name below the destinations. I'd thought that was a thing of the past. Funny how the toll-roads (GSP, NJT, NY Thruway) stubbornly stick to their old ways instead of going with the more standard formats.

roadman65

NJ is the only state to sign urban exits with rural type (route number- control cities) of wording instead of traditional urban (route number- street name) signing on their roads, Parkway included.

Yes in a way that are saying FU to the FHWA, and love to stay in their own ways.  To me I admire that some, but times have changed.  Is Maplewood really necessary to be included on the Lyons Avenue exit ramp?  Springfield Avenue is much more suited I think.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2015, 09:25:20 PM
NJ is the only state to sign urban exits with rural type (route number- control cities) of wording instead of traditional urban (route number- street name) signing on their roads, Parkway included.

Yes in a way that are saying FU to the FHWA, and love to stay in their own ways.  To me I admire that some, but times have changed.  Is Maplewood really necessary to be included on the Lyons Avenue exit ramp?  Springfield Avenue is much more suited I think.
It's not universally done. For example, 287 has "Morristown Next 3 Exits" and lists road names only on individual exit signs. The parkway and I-280 through and around Newark have some signs with only street names on them as well.

roadman65

No its not universal, but most likely done.  Morristown is one of the rare things, as far as Newark goes only South Orange Avenue is street only.  Also Bloomfield Avenue going S Bound only.

Sheryl Crowe

storm2k

Quote from: roadman65 on June 14, 2015, 09:25:20 PM

It's changing, though. For example 131/131A now says Wood Ave South which a ground mount sign mentioning that the next X exits are for Iselin (which is what that exit serves). They're hewing much closer to the MUTCD now, even if they're not 100% compliant.

Roadrunner75

With the imminent opening of the SB onramps at 89, the GSP widening project will essentially be complete from 89 down to the southern end of the project at 83.  The only remaining significant work on the mainline in that stretch appears to be the addition of a third Express EZ Pass lane (former shoulder) at the Toms River tolls NB, including milling and new top course pavement in that immediate area.  In the northern stretch, there's still some bridge work to wrap up and a section where the grade is being raised, although only one cattle chute remains in the entire project NB at 90.

It looks like the last major project to complete along this stretch are the new ramps at 91, including a new NB exit / SB entrance.  A PDF of the 91 project can be found here on the Ocean County Engineering Dept. website:
http://www.co.ocean.nj.us//PDFs//Interchange91.pdf
Clearing and grading for the new ramps is finally moving along quickly now.

The OC Engineering site also has a link to a somewhat dormant website for a study to look at a SB offramp at 83. 
http://gspint83.com/
Although this is badly needed, it doesn't look like this is going anywhere at the moment and there's never been a really good place to dump ramp traffic into what is already a very congested area (US 9 / CR 571 intersection).  There was talk in the past about a possible exit further north near Church Road.  Right nearby, Ocean County College has gone nuts with a new road network to serve some new buildings including a fairly long new access road currently under construction out to N. Bay Ave. right near the GSP overpass over Church Road.

The full interchange at 89 has been badly needed for years.  90 is (was) the only NB exit in the Brick area and routinely backed up out onto the mainline every morning.  Complicating matters was that a good amount of traffic from the ramp would clog in the jughandle at the bottom of the ramp to head N/W toward Lakewood.  I still can't believe it took this long for such a heavily populated area as Brick to get decent access to the GSP.

storm2k

Last time I was in that area, it looks liked construction at 91 was well underway. Also, 91 was one of the last signs with a number only tab on it. also looks like they had tacked a Exit Only placard on it. When I drove through, it was on the side of the road in a temp setup until they install new signage once the work is complete.

noelbotevera

They  do not mention very important information: rehabbing the Atlantic City service area. They do not say an exact date to when it reopens, and the project PDF is now gone.

They also forget the Interchange 30-80 Widening, even though the part from 48-80 is done. There is (hopefully) construction on this, I believe this will be done in 2016-2017.

Roadrunner75

Just south of 89, on the SB side, new Speed Limit 65 signs have been uncovered.  Further down by the Toms River tolls, there are 55 Speed Zone Ahead signs, but the 55 limit signs beyond have not been installed.  I assume the stretch from 83 to 80 will remain at 55 after construction is complete (congested area / heavy weaving at 82).  I remember awhile before 83-100 started, the limit in the entire stretch was lowered to 55.  Was there language in the law to allow the phased reestablishment of 65 mph zones in this stretch as portions of the widening project were completed, or are they jumping the gun?  Some of the other signs NB remain covered.

Compared to what I recall on the 63-80 widening, the 83-100 project has been poorly signed for construction speed limits.  Every once in awhile a 45 limit sign will pop up and later disappear (now popular on Ebay?)

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 16, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
They also forget the Interchange 30-80 Widening, even though the part from 48-80 is done. There is (hopefully) construction on this, I believe this will be done in 2016-2017.
There's some clearing on the northern stretch so far if I recall, and of course 41 is now open.  I think we discussed this here before, but it's about time for some flyover ramps at the AC Expressway.

roadman65

I think in addition to flyovers at the ACE, a completed interchange with US 40/322 is needed instead of using Fire and Tilton Roads or Washington Avenue to complete the movements.

Also Exit 82 in Toms River going SB to EB needs a flyover bad with that tight turn exit ramp where you must slow down to 10mph to make it.

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 16, 2015, 10:02:41 PM
Just south of 89, on the SB side, new Speed Limit 65 signs have been uncovered.  Further down by the Toms River tolls, there are 55 Speed Zone Ahead signs, but the 55 limit signs beyond have not been installed.  I assume the stretch from 83 to 80 will remain at 55 after construction is complete (congested area / heavy weaving at 82).  I remember awhile before 83-100 started, the limit in the entire stretch was lowered to 55.  Was there language in the law to allow the phased reestablishment of 65 mph zones in this stretch as portions of the widening project were completed, or are they jumping the gun?  Some of the other signs NB remain covered.

Compared to what I recall on the 63-80 widening, the 83-100 project has been poorly signed for construction speed limits.  Every once in awhile a 45 limit sign will pop up and later disappear (now popular on Ebay?)

Quote from: noelbotevera on June 16, 2015, 03:37:47 PM
There's some clearing on the northern stretch so far if I recall, and of course 41 is now open.  I think we discussed this here before, but it's about time for some flyover ramps at the AC Expressway.

The construction is definitely ongoing at least in the 36-38 area which I frequent. There have been frequent changes in traffic patterns lately. I don't know what exactly they're doing now, but here's the current configuration:

Southbound exit 36 got a deceleration lane. There are intermittent lane closures on Tilton Road, so the exit often backs up.

Northbound, the entrance from exit 36 got its normal acceleration lane back. There is no longer a continuous third lane between exits 37 and 38A. Instead, the entrance from 37 merges into the main line, then an exit only lane for 38, and another single exit only lane for 38A which then opens up into 2 lanes after leaving the Parkway.

From the ACE Eastbound, the two-lane ramp at exit 7S merges into one lane shortly after exiting instead of right before entering the Parkway South.

roadman65

Aren't they braiding the Exit 38 on ramp SB with the Exit 37 off ramp SB to avoid the weaving issues generated there?

Sheryl Crowe

bzakharin

That is in the project description, but I'm just reporting what I'm seeing now, and I can't tell what exactly they're doing. Currently the configuration is unchanged from before construction in that area, except everything is shifted to the left including the through lanes.

jeffandnicole

Eventually ACE EB to GSP SB (Exit 7) will have 2 uninterrupted lanes onto the GSP SB.

Traffic on GSP South to Exit 37 will have an exit ramp that will go under the ramp mentioned above. 

There will be an exit from that ACE Exit 7 to GSP's Exit 37 as well, so that movement will be preserved.

roadman65

Quote from: jeffandnicole on June 18, 2015, 12:32:25 PM
Eventually ACE EB to GSP SB (Exit 7) will have 2 uninterrupted lanes onto the GSP SB.

Traffic on GSP South to Exit 37 will have an exit ramp that will go under the ramp mentioned above. 

There will be an exit from that ACE Exit 7 to GSP's Exit 37 as well, so that movement will be preserved.
I am glad they are including the small movements as in Orlando along I-4 when they braid two different ramps, they usually tell those entering who have been traveling that FU.  FDOT once told me in an email that they do that on purpose to keep local traffic off of I-4 when they prevented traffic entering I-4 westbound from Kirkman Road  to use the first interchange almost one mile away for FL 482.  The two ramps did not create weaving issues before the change when Universal Orlando expanded in the late 90's that had FDOT redo everything near the Theme Parks.

To me I think a slip ramp allowing that would have helped and could easily be done, but it never happened and continues to happen every time FDOT D-5 braids two interchange ramps.

Sheryl Crowe

Roadrunner75

There is a public information session planned for this Tuesday 6/30 for the desperately needed SB exit 83 on the GSP in Toms River.  The meeting will be at the Ocean County Library in downtown Toms River from 4-7pm.  Here's some links, although they don't have much more info:
http://www.app.com/story/news/local/ocean-county/2015/06/25/new-toms-river-parkway-exit/29262787/
http://www.njtpa.org/Get-Involved/Calendar/Public-Information-Session-Parkway-Exit-Southbound.aspx
Other than the easily missed releases to APP and Patch and NJTPA notice, no government entity is falling over themselves to advertise this meeting - nothing on the OC website I can find (even though the Engineering division has some maps and info on other GSP improvements), nothing on NJTA or elsewhere.  As usual, the goal is to have the design/PR team showing up to outnumber the amount of interested parties who will attend.  There is also a project website that hasn't been updated in a year - still showing a planned meeting for last year.

I assume I will see you all there around, let's say, 6pm?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.