News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Ohio

Started by iBallasticwolf2, August 29, 2015, 08:18:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

halork

I'm planning to travel from southern Ohio to western Michigan, and am thinking of taking US-30 between I-75 and Fort Wayne. I notice there is no direct connection between US-30 and I-75! Why? That whole area seems really poorly designed. Is there any plan to add a direct connection in the future?

sandwalk

Quote from: halork on May 04, 2016, 02:46:43 AM
I'm planning to travel from southern Ohio to western Michigan, and am thinking of taking US-30 between I-75 and Fort Wayne. I notice there is no direct connection between US-30 and I-75! Why? That whole area seems really poorly designed. Is there any plan to add a direct connection in the future?

Pennsylvania has Breezewood. Ohio has Beaverdam. The indirect connection probably has something to do with I-75 running right next to the railroad tracks.

Bitmapped

I asked ODOT when they built the new US 30 freeway. They said there was insufficient traffic traveling between the two routes to justify the cost of building a new interchange.

ysuindy

Quote from: Bitmapped on May 04, 2016, 12:29:20 PM

I asked ODOT when they built the new US 30 freeway. They said there was insufficient traffic traveling between the two routes to justify the cost of building a new interchange.

I go through that area about 4 or 5 times a year and I have never seen much traffic making the transition.

As noted the railroad tracks running adjacent to 75 combined with the angle of intersection make for a difficult direct interchange.  I believe this is one of the oldest sections of 75 in Ohio.

Sykotyk

South of old US 30, they both turn a bit. With the tracks, it would just be way too expensive and the interchange would be very 'tight' with another interchange for both of them to the old US30 and the gas stations and truck stops located right there.

Fox 11 News

random news release we got today:

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (May 11, 2016) – Woolpert has been contracted by the city of Beavercreek to realign Shakertown Road in Beavercreek and eliminate its intersection with U.S. 35. The revised Shakertown will connect to Factory Road to the east, in a four-way intersection with Yellow Brick Road, south of U.S. 35.

This project is part of the Ohio Department of Transportation's (ODOT) ongoing efforts to improve the safety of U.S. 35 through Beavercreek, primarily between Factory and Orchard Lane.

ODOT is moving toward more interchanges and fewer intersections along this section, and has been seeking public input.

Nathan Fischer, Woolpert project manager, said the intersection of Shakertown and U.S. 35 is a dangerous one, with 32 reported crashes at that site in the last three years and 20 percent of those incurring injury.

"We're going to fix a safety concern that's been in the area for a while,"  Fischer said. "It also affects us on a personal level, since the intersection is 4 miles from our headquarters. A lot of our staff drives through the intersection."

This project also will involve a slight realignment of Alpha-Bellbrook Road, which currently is part of an offset intersection with Yellow Brick. Alpha-Bellbrook will be diverted into a T-intersection with Shakertown, west of Factory.

The project is in the design phase, and likely will start construction in 2020.

mgk920

Quote from: Fox 11 News on May 11, 2016, 09:19:46 AM
random news release we got today:

BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (May 11, 2016) — Woolpert has been contracted by the city of Beavercreek to realign Shakertown Road in Beavercreek and eliminate its intersection with U.S. 35. The revised Shakertown will connect to Factory Road to the east, in a four-way intersection with Yellow Brick Road, south of U.S. 35.

This project is part of the Ohio Department of Transportation’s (ODOT) ongoing efforts to improve the safety of U.S. 35 through Beavercreek, primarily between Factory and Orchard Lane.

ODOT is moving toward more interchanges and fewer intersections along this section, and has been seeking public input.

Nathan Fischer, Woolpert project manager, said the intersection of Shakertown and U.S. 35 is a dangerous one, with 32 reported crashes at that site in the last three years and 20 percent of those incurring injury.

“We’re going to fix a safety concern that’s been in the area for a while,” Fischer said. “It also affects us on a personal level, since the intersection is 4 miles from our headquarters. A lot of our staff drives through the intersection.”

This project also will involve a slight realignment of Alpha-Bellbrook Road, which currently is part of an offset intersection with Yellow Brick. Alpha-Bellbrook will be diverted into a T-intersection with Shakertown, west of Factory.

The project is in the design phase, and likely will start construction in 2020.

Beavercreek is to Dayton, OH what Howard is to Green Bay, WI and US 35 is very analogous to WI 29 in the Green Bay and central Wisconsin area, except that this part of US 35 here is more of a 'street' than WI 29 is in the Howard area.  This news item refers to a short section of major suburban non-freeway surface street (it looks a lot like a cross between Ashland Ave, Lombardi Ave and Military Ave in the Green Bay area) between US 35's part of the Dayton freeway system and the start of the more rural 'almost interstate' US 35 at Xenia, OH and on across the far southern part of Ohio towards Charleston, WV.

This is a badly needed upgrade

Mike

Sykotyk

That last little stretch of US35 to complete the freeway to I-75 has been badly needed. I've been on that stretch a few times and hated it. Freeway-level traffic on a four-lane with lights. No wonder it's dangerous. Reminds me of US71 south of Kansas City. Just completely needs to be freewaytized.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: Sykotyk on May 12, 2016, 09:28:53 PM
Reminds me of US71 south of Kansas City. Just completely needs to be freewaytized.

"That's just like... your opinion, man."

PurdueBill

Quote from: sandwalk on May 04, 2016, 10:02:22 AM

Pennsylvania has Breezewood. Ohio has Beaverdam. The indirect connection probably has something to do with I-75 running right next to the railroad tracks.

US 30/OH 696/I-75 looks a lot worse on paper than it operates in reality.  There is not much need for redoing it all to make a direct connection--OH 696 handles it quite capably and indeed the rail line paralleling I-75 adds to the complexity.  The angle that US 30 crosses I-75 at doesn't make a direct connection any easier either.

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 18, 2016, 07:09:32 PM

US 30/OH 696/I-75 looks a lot worse on paper than it operates in reality.  There is not much need for redoing it all to make a direct connection--OH 696 handles it quite capably and indeed the rail line paralleling I-75 adds to the complexity.  The angle that US 30 crosses I-75 at doesn't make a direct connection any easier either.

That reminds me of some interchange ideas I saw on Fictionnal highways section.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg113621#msg113621
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/triplemultiplex/Interchanges/75-30all.png?t=1314385866

PurdueBill

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on May 19, 2016, 07:42:21 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on May 18, 2016, 07:09:32 PM

That reminds me of some interchange ideas I saw on Fictionnal highways section.
https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3618.msg113621#msg113621
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n208/triplemultiplex/Interchanges/75-30all.png?t=1314385866

It describes that as economical, but the US 30 and I-75 roadbeds are at significantly different elevations where they cross (as US 30 also passes over the railroad), so I-75 couldn't take over US 30's ROW without being lowered significantly or I-75 being boosted, either of them in place so a detour alignment would have to be constructed, requiring additional right of way temporarily. There are so many loops, and the braided ramps seem tight.  The existing condition is good enough given the current traffic--I have never encountered anything that would require a total redo like this.  Taking the additional property would add to the cost as well.

vtk

Further evidence that ODOT's freeway sign replacement program is completely random...

All the guide signs on I-670 between I-70 and SR 315 – all good-condition button copy that was put up in 2001 or 2002 – has been recently replaced.  The new signs look good, even in Clearview, but there was nothing wrong with the old signage.

Meanwhile, signs at entrances to I-270 from US 23 and Alum Creek Dr date to (I'm guessing) the early 80's at best, the background colors in the Interstate shields are fading, and in some cases pieces of the sign have fallen off.  Maybe they'll be replaced next week, or maybe they'll still be standing in a decade. It's a crapshoot.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

PurdueBill

Quote from: vtk on June 26, 2016, 12:25:16 AM
Further evidence that ODOT's freeway sign replacement program is completely random...

All the guide signs on I-670 between I-70 and SR 315 – all good-condition button copy that was put up in 2001 or 2002 – has been recently replaced.  The new signs look good, even in Clearview, but there was nothing wrong with the old signage.

Meanwhile, signs at entrances to I-270 from US 23 and Alum Creek Dr date to (I'm guessing) the early 80's at best, the background colors in the Interstate shields are fading, and in some cases pieces of the sign have fallen off.  Maybe they'll be replaced next week, or maybe they'll still be standing in a decade. It's a crapshoot.

I found it especially sad when they replaced signage on I-70 between 270 on the west side and just west of 315 in 2003 with reflective lettering signage, replacing button copy that was only two years old!  The Exit 96 signs for 670 had "Airport" legend in button copy covered with an orange plaque reading "Open to 315" and the signs were replaced before the plaque was even removed when 670 opened up through the trench.  Two years of service for the signs while on 315 there were signs from the 70s (at best) still there until a year or two ago?  Bonkers.

Figures that they were replaced with Clearview.....the damned Clearview signs will probably still be there in 50 years!

Buck87

Oh great....we have yet another new traffic light on US 23 in Delaware County

photo caption:
QuoteNew roadway, Meeker Way, opens in Delaware County on Thursday. After Meeker Road is open, Stratford Road closes for up to a month.

Clarification: When the project is complete in October, US 23 north and south traffic will be able to access Stratford Road. However, traffic coming from Stratford Road will only be able to turn right onto US 23 north. For access to US 23 south, drivers will use Meeker Way.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on September 13, 2016, 07:31:47 PM
Oh great....we have yet another new traffic light on US 23 in Delaware County

photo caption:
QuoteNew roadway, Meeker Way, opens in Delaware County on Thursday. After Meeker Road is open, Stratford Road closes for up to a month.

Clarification: When the project is complete in October, US 23 north and south traffic will be able to access Stratford Road. However, traffic coming from Stratford Road will only be able to turn right onto US 23 north. For access to US 23 south, drivers will use Meeker Way.

They're also taking out the light at Stratford, so that's a net no new traffic signals.  On the other hand, the 315 and Stratford lights were synced for 23 through traffic, and the Meeker light probably won't be synced.  On the other other hand, traffic on the Meeker approach will probably be so light that signal won't have to stop 23 often.

I'm more annoyed at the other end of Delaware, where the southbound exit to Sandusky Street is being converted to a two-way extension of Sandusky Street which meets 23 at a completely new signal.  At least the northbound to northbound movement will still be handled by the old northbound entrance ramp.

Buck87

Quote from: vtk on September 14, 2016, 08:52:21 AM

They're also taking out the light at Stratford, so that's a net no new traffic signals.  On the other hand, the 315 and Stratford lights were synced for 23 through traffic, and the Meeker light probably won't be synced.  On the other other hand, traffic on the Meeker approach will probably be so light that signal won't have to stop 23 often.

Yeah, so while it's not a net gain of signals, it's still a net gain of possible places of having to stop (however unlikely that might end up being.)

QuoteI'm more annoyed at the other end of Delaware, where the southbound exit to Sandusky Street is being converted to a two-way extension of Sandusky Street which meets 23 at a completely new signal.  At least the northbound to northbound movement will still be handled by the old northbound entrance ramp.

Agreed that this one is more annoying. Anyone know how that project is progressing?

silverback1065

us 23 needs to be upgraded to interstate standards one day.

vtk

Quote from: Buck87 on September 14, 2016, 12:02:05 PM
QuoteI'm more annoyed at the other end of Delaware, where the southbound exit to Sandusky Street is being converted to a two-way extension of Sandusky Street which meets 23 at a completely new signal.  At least the northbound to northbound movement will still be handled by the old northbound entrance ramp.

Agreed that this one is more annoying. Anyone know how that project is progressing?

Nearing completion. When I drove through on Friday night, they were applying the permanent lane markings on 23. I couldn't see if signals were hung or the status of the Sandusky St extension, but I imagine they're close to wrapping that project up, except possibly for landscaping which might be finished in the spring.

vtk

Quote from: vtk on September 14, 2016, 09:01:06 PM
Quote from: Buck87 on September 14, 2016, 12:02:05 PM

Nearing completion. When I drove through on Friday night, they were applying the permanent lane markings on 23. I couldn't see if signals were hung or the status of the Sandusky St extension, but I imagine they're close to wrapping that project up, except possibly for landscaping which might be finished in the spring.

Update: as of yesterday, Sandusky St extension open, operating as RIRO at US 23. Left turn lane from NB 23 to (SB) Sandusky closed. Sandusky St ends with right turn only to 23 SB, and this is apparently final configuration. Signal mast arms in place, with no signals on them.

alecscradle

At this point it's almost easier to take Sawmill or Liberty to Delaware.  I've driven up both those routes, and while Sawmill south of Powell rd sucks, both roads are a relative ease to take.

vtk

Quote from: alecscradle on September 21, 2016, 02:06:05 AM
At this point it's almost easier to take Sawmill or Liberty to Delaware.  I've driven up both those routes, and while Sawmill south of Powell rd sucks, both roads are a relative ease to take.

Sawmill will be open to US 42 soon, which will help that alternative.

6a

Idle curiosity has me wondering about something. Recently some projects have been moved up because "the money was available now." The 270 west side widening and the newest phase of the 270/23/315 construction come to mind right away. Where did this money come from? We aren't talking about spare change here...are other areas not using all their funds? Are tax collections higher? Accounting magic? Genuinely curious.

vtk

Quote from: 6a on September 29, 2016, 09:37:58 AM
Idle curiosity has me wondering about something. Recently some projects have been moved up because "the money was available now." The 270 west side widening and the newest phase of the 270/23/315 construction come to mind right away. Where did this money come from? We aren't talking about spare change here...are other areas not using all their funds? Are tax collections higher? Accounting magic? Genuinely curious.

My guess is, in the very recent past, revenues were coming up short of projections, so some larger impending projects were delayed, freeing up some money for immediate use; and now, revenues are exceeding projections, so some smaller projects are being moved up.  Assuming competence on the part of ODOT, it looks like the goal to spend as much of the cash they expect to have in any given year, and changing cash flow expectations result in reshuffled project timelines.  A more cynical interpretation is there is basically no long term planning anymore, and the agency is making decisions with the goal of maintaining people's short-term opinion of their ability to spend wisely.

Rothman

Could it have been from issuing more bonds?  That's happening quite a bit now in NYSDOT's program.

(personal opinion emphasized)
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.