News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

splashflash

Funding of $2.5M for a Macon bypass for US 63 is on the list.

The Ghostbuster

That would likely be an eastern bypass of Macon, since a western bypass would run through Macon Lake and the Long Branch State Park.

rte66man

Having worked for the OK Legislature, I just love that other states use language such as "for a city more than 25,000 but less than 25,200". Everybody knows where it is supposed to go but no one wants to go on record as voting for someone else's project.
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

Rothman

Quote from: rte66man on April 21, 2023, 05:49:15 PM
Having worked for the OK Legislature, I just love that other states use language such as "for a city more than 25,000 but less than 25,200". Everybody knows where it is supposed to go but no one wants to go on record as voting for someone else's project.
That's childish.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mvak36

Lol. I thought it was odd when I saw it too. I would think that these project names would come out eventually.
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

MikieTimT

Quote from: mvak36 on April 22, 2023, 10:05:34 AM

Lol. I thought it was odd when I saw it too. I would think that these project names would come out eventually.

Getting to the root of this is like getting to the root of anything:

Just follow the money.

afguy

I have to give Mr. Armstrong props for coming up with a proposal to extend I-29 to Cape Girardeau, I don't see this idea being taken seriously. If anything, I would love to see an interstate connecting Kansas City and Memphis one day.

QuoteA local man presented his proposal to extend I-29 to Cape Girardeau to the Southeast Metropolitan planning Organization.

Cape Girardeau Resident Carl Armstrong says he is frustrated with the lack of progress in the region and this expansion will solve three problems that are affecting growth.

Armstrong told the board of directors that difficult airline access in the Cape Girardeau area, road access from the new Mississippi bridge, and a long span of minimal city area growth have affected the region's progress. He says the problems are interrelated and expanding I-29 further southeast creates an easier way for people to travel. After his presentation, nobody from the board had questions, but Armstrong said he's hopeful they're receptive.

"I hope that they will do something with it,"  Armstrong said. "I think the key to the proposal is to quit looking at this as one area of Missouri and one area of Illinois and one area of Kentucky, but to look at it as a combined region, and tourism wise it has an awful lot to offer."
https://www.kfvs12.com/2023/02/15/sempo-board-hears-i-29-expansion-proposal/

-- US 175 --

Quote from: afguy on April 29, 2023, 10:57:17 PM
I have to give Mr. Armstrong props for coming up with a proposal to extend I-29 to Cape Girardeau, I don't see this idea being taken seriously. If anything, I would love to see an interstate connecting Kansas City and Memphis one day.

QuoteA local man presented his proposal to extend I-29 to Cape Girardeau to the Southeast Metropolitan planning Organization.

Cape Girardeau Resident Carl Armstrong says he is frustrated with the lack of progress in the region and this expansion will solve three problems that are affecting growth.

Armstrong told the board of directors that difficult airline access in the Cape Girardeau area, road access from the new Mississippi bridge, and a long span of minimal city area growth have affected the region's progress. He says the problems are interrelated and expanding I-29 further southeast creates an easier way for people to travel. After his presentation, nobody from the board had questions, but Armstrong said he's hopeful they're receptive.

"I hope that they will do something with it,"  Armstrong said. "I think the key to the proposal is to quit looking at this as one area of Missouri and one area of Illinois and one area of Kentucky, but to look at it as a combined region, and tourism wise it has an awful lot to offer."

I don't see any path that an extended interstate could take to Cape Girardeau without at least some of it being an open land new-build.  Meanwhile, there already is I-55 so the man can't say the city is unserved.  I-57 is nearby and is due to be extended.  Paducah has I-24.  I really don't understand what his concern is or what he thinks could be accomplished by taking an interstate from the other side of the state and pulling it diagonally and out-of-grid all the way over to his area.  If the man thinks there are economic issues to be addressed, he really needs to approach the local economic development board/group about them, instead of thinking that MODOT will agree to throwing $$$ they don't have toward building an interstate they're very likely not going to agree is needed.  The silence from that board after the man's presentation really spoke volumes.

The Ghostbuster

How the hell does this guy think to get Interstate 29 to Cape Girardeau? Even if an Interstate were built between Kansas City and Cape Girardeau, it would likely have an even second digit.

skluth

Back in the day (circa 1990), MODOT had a plan to build a four lane highway to every city >5000 in Missouri. This meant a rare tax increase vote that passed, but the end result didn't live up to promises and severely damaged MODOTs reputation. Included in the proposal was a four lane MO 8 from St James to Park Hills and a four lane MO 72 from Fredericktown to Cape. I guess with enough intoxicants I can imagine these improvements could be part of an I-29 extension, but Ghostbuster is right that any interstate from KC to Cape would be an even number.

sprjus4

Kansas City to Cape Girardeau is already served by I-70 and I-55... I-70 has its issues. Instead of pouring billions of dollars into a redundant route that would be adequately served by at most a 4 lane divided highway, how about improving I-70 and widening to 6 lanes?

If the proposal is to better serve the areas along the proposed corridor, and not just for long haul, then widening to a four lane 65 mph divided highway would easily accomplish this.

Rothman

An Interstate cutting straight to Cape Girardeau would be stymied by tremendous 4f issues, given the public lands it would have to traverse.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mvak36

Quote from: skluth on May 01, 2023, 10:54:26 AM
Back in the day (circa 1990), MODOT had a plan to build a four lane highway to every city >5000 in Missouri. This meant a rare tax increase vote that passed, but the end result didn't live up to promises and severely damaged MODOTs reputation. Included in the proposal was a four lane MO 8 from St James to Park Hills and a four lane MO 72 from Fredericktown to Cape. I guess with enough intoxicants I can imagine these improvements could be part of an I-29 extension, but Ghostbuster is right that any interstate from KC to Cape would be an even number.

I don't think an interstate will ever happen all the way to KC. The four lane highways that you mentioned seem like a better idea. A good way to get to I-44 and, if they make US63 a four lane highway between Rolla and US 50, Jeff City. I wouldn't hold my breath for this to get done anytime soon. Too many priorities elsewhere around the state.

ilpt4u

The biggest "missing"  interstate piece in the SEMO/SoIL/WKY region aka the Cape Girardeau-Paducah-Carbondale TV DMA is an Interstate, with a new MS River bridge, straight from Paducah to Sikeston. Trying to finangle it in via the existing I-24 OH and I-57 MS River bridges across deep Southern IL ends up with a very high cost due to the terrain, not to mention cutting right thru the Shawnee Forest, probably to the point it isn't worth it

I would think the I-57 extension into Little Rock will help the SEMO region - sure more directly to Sikeston and Poplar Bluff but could benefit Cape and others in the area

I think a more realistic number for the guy's proposal would be 24, and route it from Marion to Cape and then onto KC. Yes it will have an out of the way dog-leg, and is Fictional board material, but its better than an I-29 to Cape proposal

ozarkman417

I couldn't help but notice the mention to the 1991-2015 attempt to bring a western I-66 to the region that was in the video. This interstate would have likely crossed the Ohio at Paducah and the MS River at Cape, cutting through Shawnee National Forest.

But if this man wants an extended I-29 from the west, you'd have the issues cutting through Shawnee times ten. Any road to Cape coming from the west/northwest would have to cut through the rugged Courtois Hills & St. Francois Mountains. What I'd do is have an interstate that starts in Columbia and follows US 63 & MO 72 to Salem. From there, there's no easy answer as for how to route an interstate. I guess it would follow MO-72 from Salem to MO-21, where it would then make a Centerville-Annapolis-Marble Hill-Cape G. Line. Aside from locals, the only traffic that would enter/exit such a sparsely populated area would be lead mine trucks and tourists going to the many state parks in the area.

skluth

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 02, 2023, 04:19:48 PM

I couldn't help but notice the mention to the 1991-2015 attempt to bring a western I-66 to the region that was in the video. This interstate would have likely crossed the Ohio at Paducah and the MS River at Cape, cutting through Shawnee National Forest.

But if this man wants an extended I-29 from the west, you'd have the issues cutting through Shawnee times ten. Any road to Cape coming from the west/northwest would have to cut through the rugged Courtois Hills & St. Francois Mountains. What I'd do is have an interstate that starts in Columbia and follows US 63 & MO 72 to Salem. From there, there's no easy answer as for how to route an interstate. I guess it would follow MO-72 from Salem to MO-21, where it would then make a Centerville-Annapolis-Marble Hill-Cape G. Line. Aside from locals, the only traffic that would enter/exit such a sparsely populated area would be lead mine trucks and tourists going to the many state parks in the area.

Depending on the routing, it wouldn't be that difficult except between I-44 and US 67. US 50 between KC and Jeff City is so flat it feels like Illinois or Kansas. It's mostly rolling hills on US 63 to Rolla and the MO 72 corridor east of Fredericktown is similar; a bit challenging but not a serious obsticle. But there are no good corridors between I-44 and US 67 southwest of St Louis County. Regardless, it's fictional and a moot point because it's not happening. There is just not much traffic that needs to go between those two points and drivers can use either I-70 (as pointed out by sprjus4) or US 60 to reach destinations west of I-49.

ARMOURERERIC

Has the extra $$$ for 70 passed the legislature?

mvak36

Quote from: ARMOURERERIC on May 02, 2023, 05:37:35 PM
Has the extra $$$ for 70 passed the legislature?

Still in the Senate as of now. Senate and House will have to get together and come to an agreement on how much to fund.

Quick Recap: The House passed the governor's $859 million request but the Senate wants to do the whole stretch between Blue Springs and Wentzville, with the rest of the money coming from bonds. https://missouriindependent.com/2023/04/19/missouri-senate-committee-triples-funding-for-widening-i-70-across-the-state/

mvak36

https://www.missourinet.com/2023/05/02/parson-supports-missouri-senates-plan-to-widen-i-70/
QuoteSenate Appropriations Committee Chair Lincoln Hough, R-Springfield, is proposing to use $1.4 billion in state funding and borrow $1.4 billion to complete the I-70 project. Hough explained the dramatic difference between the House and Senate's budget.

"All of these capital investments are one-time infrastructure transformative projects in my opinion,"  he explained. "Again, I've said it a hundred times, but I think when you have, when you have one-time money, you don't build long-term budget changes and budget recommendations. So, as much as it is possible, the committee, and the entire Senate, made investments with one-time money and one-time large infrastructure projects."

Senate President Pro Tem Caleb Rowden, R-Columbia, said that the budget will pass before this coming Friday's deadline.

"We did it in a way that doesn't bankrupt the state when we, inevitably, come back down to early as it relates to revenues, but that budget and the budget that is inevitably going to pass before (this) Friday, is something, I think, everybody can be proud of,"  he said.

House and Senate budget negotiations are expected early this week, with Friday being the deadline for the legislature to pass a balanced state budget proposal.

Now we just hurry up and wait to see what comes out on Friday.

mvak36

https://abc17news.com/politics/missouri-politics/2023/05/03/missouri-lawmakers-agree-to-fund-i-70-expansion-across-entire-state/

QuoteState senators and representatives came to an agreement on how to fund the Interstate 70 expansion proposed by the governor and several other highway projects.

In a Wednesday evening legislative conference, lawmakers put $2.8 billion toward expanding Interstate 70 across the state. This is more than the House and governor's recommendations, which was just enough to add an extra lane in Columbia and the suburban areas of St. Louis and Kansas City.

Lawmakers also agree to add $5 million for an environmental study on Highway 63 from Cabool to Houston and $20 million for an environmental study on the Interstate 44 corridor. These studies are in anticipation of possible future projects.

Republican Sen. Caleb Rowden, of Columbia, said he wanted to see the expansion fully funded.

"My assumption is if we only did half the project this year, we'd never do the other half, and so I just think it I think we stretch a little bit, get it done, get that money accounted for and get the thing done, so hopefully that's where we end up," Rowden said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB79HuYbemw

I believe now we just need to wait on the budget to be passed and signed by the governor.

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on May 04, 2023, 12:00:37 AM
https://abc17news.com/politics/missouri-politics/2023/05/03/missouri-lawmakers-agree-to-fund-i-70-expansion-across-entire-state/

QuoteState senators and representatives came to an agreement on how to fund the Interstate 70 expansion proposed by the governor and several other highway projects.

In a Wednesday evening legislative conference, lawmakers put $2.8 billion toward expanding Interstate 70 across the state. This is more than the House and governor's recommendations, which was just enough to add an extra lane in Columbia and the suburban areas of St. Louis and Kansas City.

Lawmakers also agree to add $5 million for an environmental study on Highway 63 from Cabool to Houston and $20 million for an environmental study on the Interstate 44 corridor. These studies are in anticipation of possible future projects.

Republican Sen. Caleb Rowden, of Columbia, said he wanted to see the expansion fully funded.

"My assumption is if we only did half the project this year, we'd never do the other half, and so I just think it I think we stretch a little bit, get it done, get that money accounted for and get the thing done, so hopefully that's where we end up," Rowden said.

I believe now we just need to wait on the budget to be passed and signed by the governor.

This funding is in House Bill 4 now.

From the text of the bill: https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/hlrbillspdf/0004H.05S.pdf
Section 4.428. To the Department of Transportation
For all expenditures associated with the planning, designing, constructing,
reconstructing, rehabilitating and repairing three lanes in each
direction on I-70 to be funded from state road bond proceeds
From the State Road Fund I-70 Project Bond Proceeds Fund (0323).. . . . . . . . . $1,400,000,000

Section 4.429. To the Department of Transportation
For all expenditures associated with the planning, designing, constructing,
reconstructing, rehabilitating and repairing three lanes in each
direction on I-70 pursuant to a financing agreement between the
Commission and the Office of Administration
From State Road Fund I-70 Project Fund (0324).. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,400,000,000

I'm not sure of the status of the remaining projects listed in House Bill 19 that I posted a few weeks ago.

mvak36

The Ghostbuster

Do you think the governor will sign it or veto it?

mvak36

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 05, 2023, 08:13:55 PM
Do you think the governor will sign it or veto it?
Knock on wood, I think he will sign it. At least I would hope so since he asked for funding for the 3 sections.

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on April 20, 2023, 06:09:20 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on April 20, 2023, 01:51:47 PM

If anyone cares, here's the link to the House Bill: https://house.mo.gov/Bill.aspx?bill=HB19&year=2023&code=R. I believe this is the same bill where they included the funding for I-70 but I haven't been able to find a text for the bill.

Found what got sent to the Senate. Here is what is included in the House bill for MODOT. These could all change once this bill goes through the Senate. In addition to the projects already mentioned, there is some funding for the Hannibal Bypass and the Future I-57 corridor.

Section 19.300. To the Department of Transportation
2 For the planning, design, land acquisition, utility relocation, and
3 construction of an exit from U.S. Highway 50 in or near the city of
4 Lone Jack
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,866,000

Section 19.301. To the Department of Transportation
3 construction of interchange improvements to Route 370 at Salt
4 River Road
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $6,600,000

Section 19.303. To the Department of Transportation
3 construction of capacity improvements on Interstate 44 between
4 U.S. Highway 13 and U.S. Highway 65
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $28,000,000

Section 19.304. To the Department of Transportation
2 For an environmental impact study related to improvements to the
3 Interstate 44 corridor
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20,000,000

Section 19.306. To the Department of Transportation
2 For distribution to a county with more than two hundred thousand but
3 fewer than two hundred thirty thousand inhabitants, for the
4 planning, design, and construction of a bridge and improvements
5 to the two roads connected by said bridge, as well as other
6 intersection improvements related to an economic development
7 project
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $12,000,000

Section 19.307. To the Department of Transportation
2 For the maintenance and repair of minor and low volume routes
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $100,000,000

Section 19.308. To the Department of Transportation
2 For Interstate 70 capacity improvements
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $859,000,000

Section 19.309. To the Department of Transportation
2 For right of way acquisition and utility improvements in Butler County
3 along U.S. Highway 67 from County Road 352 south to the
4 Arkansas state Line
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $10,000,000

Section 19.310. To the Department of Transportation
3 construction of a bypass around the city of Hannibal on U.S.
4 Highway 61
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,000,000

Section 19.311. To the Department of Transportation
2 For capital improvements and maintenance and repair to a joint-use
3 military and civilian airport located in a county with more than
4 eighty thousand but fewer than one hundred thousand inhabitants
5 and with a county seat with more than seventy thousand but fewer
6 than eighty thousand inhabitants
From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,200,000

Section 19.312. To the Department of Transportation
2 For the planning, design, and construction of an airport terminal in a city
3 with more than thirty-six thousand five hundred but fewer than
4 forty thousand inhabitants, provided that local matching funds
5 must be provided on a 50/50 state/local basis
From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $350,000

Section 19.313. To the Department of Transportation
2 For the planning, design, and construction of a multimodal facility and
3 extension of a rail spur to serve said facility in a county with more
4 than seventy thousand but fewer than eighty thousand inhabitants,
5 provided that local matching funds must be provided on a 50/50
6 state/local basis
From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,000,000

Section 19.314. To the Department of Transportation
2 For road improvements in a county with more than nine thousand nine
3 hundred but fewer than eleven thousand inhabitants and with a
4 county seat with fewer than two hundred inhabitants
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,366,000

Section 19.315. To the Department of Transportation
3 construction of a bypass around the city of Macon on U.S.
4 Highway 63
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,500,000

Section 19.316. To the Department of Transportation
2 For distribution to a city with more than eleven thousand but fewer than
3 twelve thousand five hundred inhabitants and located in a county
4 with more than one million inhabitants, for the planning, design,
5 and construction of a four lane bridge with a multipurpose trail,
6 provided that local matching funds must be provided on a 50/50
7 state/local basis
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,000,000

Section 19.317. To the Department of Transportation
2 For a corridor location and environmental impact study for a new west
3 corridor related to Central City Road in Jasper County
From General Revenue Fund (0101). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $1,100,000

Section 19.318. To the Department of Transportation
2 For an engineering study related to improvements to upgrade the U.S.
3 Highway 36 corridor to Interstate 72
From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,500,000

Section 19.423. To the Department of Economic Development
2 For the planning, design, and construction of a park above an interstate in
3 a city with more than four hundred thousand inhabitants and
4 located in more than one county, provided that local matching
5 funds must be provided on a 50/50 state/local basis
From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $20,000,000

This bill also passed yesterday. Section 19.308, the I-70 funding, was removed here and moved to HB 4 (with almost 2 billion more in funding). Sections 19.311, 19.312, 19.313, and 19.423 got removed. I'm not sure if they got moved to some other bill or not.

Text of bill: https://house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills231/hlrbillspdf/0019S.05F.pdf

These items got added:
Section 19.320. To the Department of Transportation
2 For the maintenance, repair, and upgrades to Long Branch Drive located
3 in any county with more than fourteen thousand but fewer than
4 fifteen thousand seven hundred inhabitants and with a county seat
5 with more than four thousand nine hundred but fewer than five
6 thousand five hundred inhabitants, provided that no local match be
7 required
8 From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $2,750,000

Section 19.321. To the Department of Transportation
2 For improvements, renovations, maintenance and repair at an airport
3 located in any county with more than fifty thousand but fewer than
4 sixty thousand inhabitants and with a county seat with more than
5 seventeen thousand but fewer than twenty-one thousand
6 inhabitants, provided that no local matching funds be required
7 From Budget Stabilization Fund (0522). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $850,000

Also, saw this quote in the KC Star Article about the budget:
Quote"This is probably a six, maybe seven-year-long project,"  said state Sen. Lincoln Hough, a Springfield Republican who chaired the budget committee in the Senate. "So, maybe I should apologize up front for the traffic, but I think the end result is going to be something that, quite frankly, generationally will transform that artery across the state."

I will wait till we get estimates from MODOT for this, but that's a pretty impressive timeframe for widening that long of a stretch if they can do it in 6 years.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.