News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skluth

Quote from: afguy on July 12, 2023, 10:44:24 PM
Stretch of I-70 in St. Charles, Warren counties may be first to be widened under $2.8B upgrade
QuoteState highway officials expect to begin construction a year from now on the recently funded $2.8 billion widening of Interstate 70 – and a segment in St. Charles and Warren counties is in the running to be the first phase.

Eric Kopinski, the Missouri Department of Transportation's I-70 program coordinator, said Wednesday that stretches of the cross-state highway in the Columbia and suburban Kansas City areas also are being considered for the initial work.

"One of those, we're hopeful, will be under construction this time next year and then soon after that, every six months we'll be awarding a project that will be pretty substantial in size," he said in an interview outside a meeting of the state Highways and Transportation Commission, which oversees MoDOT.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/government-politics/stretch-of-i-70-in-st-charles-warren-counties-may-be-first-to-be-widened/article_0adc9fbe-20e6-11ee-aa61-539cb540aa6f.html#tracking-source=home-the-latest

MODOT should just start crews at each end of the state, one in Wentzville and one in Blue Springs and meet in the middle like the Transcontinental Railroad. Even better would be to have four crews with the other two going each direction out of Columbia. The portion through Columbia will be the worst since a bypass wasn't built years ago when it was still mostly farmland north of I-70 and there is no median on I-70 through the city. But it doesn't take long to get through Columbia even when traffic is bad so if that's the last of the highway to get six lanes it's not a huge deal.

Stephane Dumas

Sorry if someone else already mentioned it but I wondered if the short expressway section of MO-100 at Wildwood was once part of bigger road project plan who was cancelled?

mvak36

Not really road related, but posting it here since this is one of the things that wasn't vetoed by the governor along with the I-70 project.

https://www.modot.org/node/32269
QuoteJEFFERSON CITY — Today, the Missouri Department of Transportation unveiled an independent report with recommendations to address passive rail crossings in Missouri, specifically on the three rail lines that carry passenger rail. Following the June 27, 2022, tragic Amtrak crash near Mendon, Mo., that took the lives of four people, Missouri has responded with the new FY2024 budget signed by Gov. Mike Parson providing an historic $50 million General Revenue investment. The data-driven report outlines the plan to work with the railroads and the communities who own the local roads at the 47 remaining passive public rail crossings in Missouri.

"Railroads in Missouri serve as a vital component sustaining and growing the economy in Missouri, but there are more than 1,400 locations in Missouri where roads cross these tracks without warning lights and gates,"  said MoDOT Director Patrick McKenna. "This new historic level of General Revenue approved by the Governor and General Assembly provides an opportunity to focus on the highest priority needs on the three railroad lines that carry passenger rail."

The three passenger rail routes operated by Amtrak through Missouri are the Southwest Chief on BNSF line and Missouri River Runner and Texas Eagle on the UP lines. The study recommends various improvements to enhance safety, reduce exposure and eliminate grade crossing conflict points. Recommendations vary for each location, in terms of complexity and cost, ranging from advanced warning enhancements, crossing realignment, approach grade improvements, flashing lights and gates upgrades, closures, new roadway connections, and ADA sidewalk enhancements.

"These changes are critical to address safety along these passenger rail lines in Missouri,"  said Director McKenna. "We look forward to working with the railroads and the communities who own these local roads to work through and finalize plans and agreements to make these safety improvements."  

In addition to the focus on the 47 passenger rail crossings, funding will be available to local communities to apply for additional advanced signage on roads as drivers approach a railroad crossing. These crossings could already have lights and gates, but additional advance warnings signs can further alert drivers to the situation ahead.

The next MoDOT study will focus on four railroad corridors across the state that carry freight only. MoDOT will also be working with railroads on a potential grants to address passive crossings on these other lines through Missouri.

Full details and the crossing-specific recommendations, advance signing program and other future studies are available online at https://www.modot.org/missouri-railroad-safety-crossing-plan .

The announcement was attended by National Transportation Safety Board Chair Jennifer Homendy and Federal Railroad Administrator Amit Bose, who pledged their support to work with Missouri on these important safety enhancements.

Project website: https://www.modot.org/missouri-railroad-safety-crossing-plan
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Revive 755

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on July 19, 2023, 06:52:30 PM
Sorry if someone else already mentioned it but I wondered if the short expressway section of MO-100 at Wildwood was once part of bigger road project plan who was cancelled?

I don't recall much of a plan going east of MO 109 except for adding another overpass without and interchange, possibly at Taylor Road.  To the west there was at least a later plan (which seems to have died) for a MO 100 realignment to a new interchange on I-44 between the eastern MO 100 interchange at Gray Summit(253) and the Pacific Exit (257).  I cannot recall whether this was a new two lane road, lower type four lane road, or expressway grade.

Speculation:  There was not much of plan to go eastward since there was supposed to be a higher type Outer Belt that would have passed near Wildwood.  IIRC the earlier version would have been closer to MO 340 on a trajectory towards the I-270 interchange with Page Avenue, while the later version would have stayed closer to MO 109 and ended near the Missouri River crossing on US 40.

EDIT 1 Looking through the older maps available in https://www.google.com/books/edition/US_50_Bypass_Jefferson_Barracks_Bridge_M/pZU1AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=FAP%20410%20eis&pg=RA2-PP13&printsec=frontcover it doens't look like there was much planned for MO 100 back in the early to mid 1970's.

EDIT 2 An EIS for the existing expressway section of MO 100 only mentions a plan for "a dual lane highway from Interstate 244 westerly to State Road T".  https://www.google.com/books/edition/Route_100_St_Louis/p841AQAAMAAJ?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=%22Route%20100%22%20Missouri&pg=PP1&printsec=frontcover

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/32587

Public invited to meetings to kickoff Statewide Improve I-70 Program

JEFFERSON CITY — The Missouri Department of Transportation is inviting the public to preliminary information meetings to learn more about MoDOT's Statewide Improve I-70 Program. Missouri's FY2024 budget from the General Assembly signed into law by Governor Parson provides $2.8 billion in General Revenue for the costs to build a third lane of Interstate 70 across the state. The program will plan, design, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, and add three lanes in each direction on approximately 200 miles of I-70, from Blue Springs to Wentzville.

The public is invited to attend the informational meetings to learn about the proposed plan and next steps for I-70. Please note these are open house style meetings, and no formal presentations will be made. The public can attend the meetings anytime during the advertised hours, and the information will be the same at each location.

MoDOT is currently in the planning stage of the Improve I-70 Program. MoDOT engineers will share preliminary information about the goals for improving I-70, possible construction schedules for the 200 miles, and next steps. MoDOT is interested in gathering feedback from the public regarding I-70's current condition, construction staging, and other general comments they may have. Public input is important ahead of the design phase of the work.

For those who are unable to attend a meeting in person, an online comment form is available at www.modot.org/public-involvement. The comment period online will be open from Monday, Aug. 28, through Friday, Sept. 22, 2023. The open house meeting dates, times and locations are as follows:

Monday, Aug. 28, 2023, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Wentzville City Hall Board of Alderman Meeting Room located at 1001 Schroeder Creek Boulevard, Wentzville, MO.

Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Warren County Administration Building located at 101 Mockingbird Lane, Warrenton, MO.

Wednesday, Aug. 30, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Concordia Community Center located at 802 S. Gordon Street, Concordia, MO.

Thursday, Aug. 31, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Jonesburg Elementary School Gym located 106 Smith Rd., Jonesburg, MO.

Tuesday, Sept. 5, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Jackson County Fire Protection District Education Center located at 4715 W U.S. 40 Highway, Blue Springs, MO.

Wednesday, Sept. 6, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Battle High School Auxiliary Gym, located at 7575 St. Charles, Rd., Columbia, MO.

Thursday, Sept. 7, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Hannah Cole Primary School Gym, located at 1700 W. Ashley Rd., Boonville, MO.

Plutonic Panda

mvak36

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 16, 2023, 01:38:45 PM
Officially signed by the governor and starts construction next summer:

https://www.komu.com/news/midmissourinews/gov-parson-visits-columbia-to-ceremonially-sign-i-70-expansion-amended-nil-bills/article_5169b2d8-3b93-11ee-9723-6bec27a86702.html

I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding this but didn't he already sign the bill back in June? It seemed like the thing yesterday was more for show. Kind of like a ribbon cutting for a bill signing lol.

Plutonic Panda

That's what I thought too. But I wasn't sure. At any rate, it says construction on one of the segments a set to begin next summer so that's exciting. I love how Missouri can find the money to widen entire fucking interstate at once across the whole state of Colorado can't do it in small segments without a toll lane.

mvak36

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on August 16, 2023, 01:38:45 PM
Officially signed by the governor and starts construction next summer:

https://www.komu.com/news/midmissourinews/gov-parson-visits-columbia-to-ceremonially-sign-i-70-expansion-amended-nil-bills/article_5169b2d8-3b93-11ee-9723-6bec27a86702.html

https://www.missourinet.com/2023/08/17/modot-wants-to-share-their-plan-on-i-70s-third-lane-listen/

From this audio interview, the program director for the I-70 project said that the project is broken into 6 different segments and the first one they identified is from Route 63 in Columbia to Kingdom City. They are tentatively scheduled to start in Spring 2024.

Plutonic Panda

^^^ great news! All we need now is to send the powers that be who made this happen to California for a bit so they can widen I-15 ;)

sprjus4

They need to come take a good look at Virginia too on I-81... and before the terrain arguments come up, at least the segment between Christiansburg (Exit 118) and north of Roanoke (Exit 150) could be widened to 6, if not 8 lanes, with the money being used for 200 miles of flat I-70 in Missouri.

The Ghostbuster

Maybe Virginia should have moved forward with the Interstate 81 toll proposal that lawmakers rejected in early 2019. Or maybe the truck lane proposal from a couple decades ago should have been implemented. Frankly, I doubt using traditional funding methods will get additional lanes added to the Interstate 81 corridor anytime soon.

sprjus4

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on August 22, 2023, 09:06:45 PM
Maybe Virginia should have moved forward with the Interstate 81 toll proposal that lawmakers rejected in early 2019.
No, because they are already doing that. The Interstate 81 Corridor Improvement Plan was originally to be funded by toll revenue, but it was ultimately decided to raise fuel taxes along the I-81 corridor along with various truck fees to fund the $2.2 billion (I believe) project.

All that project is largely doing is safety improvements with acceleration / deceleration lane improvements, flashing chevrons, a few bridge replacements, etc. Widening between Exit 118 and Exit 150 to 6 lanes is included but is seemingly getting delayed more and more.

The 2019 toll proposal would not have widened the whole highway through the state.

If tolls are implemented on I-81 at all, then it better be for full length widening from Tennessee to West Virginia, which I would support. That was the proposal in the early 2000s, traditional 6 lane widening throughout the state with 8 lanes near Roanoke and Harrisonburg, along with the other proposal for truck only lanes. It's a shame neither of those ever came to fruition.

Virginia is getting something right though in the widening department - 29 miles of I-64 between Bottoms Bridge and Williamsburg will be widened to six lanes by 2027-2028 or so. That will complete a minimum of six lanes between Hampton Roads and Richmond by the end of the decade.

https://rva757connects.com/i64-gap-project
https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/richmond/i-64-gap-segment-a-widening.asp
https://www.virginiadot.org/projects/hampton-roads/i-64-gap-c.asp

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on August 09, 2023, 10:41:20 AM
https://www.modot.org/node/32587

Public invited to meetings to kickoff Statewide Improve I-70 Program

JEFFERSON CITY — The Missouri Department of Transportation is inviting the public to preliminary information meetings to learn more about MoDOT's Statewide Improve I-70 Program. Missouri's FY2024 budget from the General Assembly signed into law by Governor Parson provides $2.8 billion in General Revenue for the costs to build a third lane of Interstate 70 across the state. The program will plan, design, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate, and add three lanes in each direction on approximately 200 miles of I-70, from Blue Springs to Wentzville.

The public is invited to attend the informational meetings to learn about the proposed plan and next steps for I-70. Please note these are open house style meetings, and no formal presentations will be made. The public can attend the meetings anytime during the advertised hours, and the information will be the same at each location.

MoDOT is currently in the planning stage of the Improve I-70 Program. MoDOT engineers will share preliminary information about the goals for improving I-70, possible construction schedules for the 200 miles, and next steps. MoDOT is interested in gathering feedback from the public regarding I-70's current condition, construction staging, and other general comments they may have. Public input is important ahead of the design phase of the work.

For those who are unable to attend a meeting in person, an online comment form is available at www.modot.org/public-involvement. The comment period online will be open from Monday, Aug. 28, through Friday, Sept. 22, 2023. The open house meeting dates, times and locations are as follows:

Monday, Aug. 28, 2023, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Wentzville City Hall Board of Alderman Meeting Room located at 1001 Schroeder Creek Boulevard, Wentzville, MO.

Tuesday, Aug. 29, 2023, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Warren County Administration Building located at 101 Mockingbird Lane, Warrenton, MO.

Wednesday, Aug. 30, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Concordia Community Center located at 802 S. Gordon Street, Concordia, MO.

Thursday, Aug. 31, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., Jonesburg Elementary School Gym located 106 Smith Rd., Jonesburg, MO.

Tuesday, Sept. 5, 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. — Jackson County Fire Protection District Education Center located at 4715 W U.S. 40 Highway, Blue Springs, MO.

Wednesday, Sept. 6, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Battle High School Auxiliary Gym, located at 7575 St. Charles, Rd., Columbia, MO.

Thursday, Sept. 7, 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. — Hannah Cole Primary School Gym, located at 1700 W. Ashley Rd., Boonville, MO.

They've posted the meeting materials on the site: https://www.modot.org/improvei70/public-involvement

Tentative Schedule: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Improve%20I-70%20Public%20Meeting%20Displays%204_0.pdf

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on August 22, 2023, 02:01:42 PM

https://www.missourinet.com/2023/08/17/modot-wants-to-share-their-plan-on-i-70s-third-lane-listen/

From this audio interview, the program director for the I-70 project said that the project is broken into 6 different segments and the first one they identified is from Route 63 in Columbia to Kingdom City. They are tentatively scheduled to start in Spring 2024.

They have a project site for this section: https://www.modot.org/improvei70/columbiakingdomcity

roadman65

Just completed I-49 in the state.

MDOT needs to add a I-49 shield on Route H in Pineville at the SB freeway entrance ramp. They obviously forgot it was signed solely as US 71 SB due to it originally ending immediately south of it before the bypass got built into AR. Meanwhile NB I-49 is signed from Route H, but SB isn’t.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Is there a difference between one and two letter secondary route signings.

I've noticed in Goodman along I-49 thst Exit 17 is signed for Route B and Route BB. It seems Route BB is an old alignment of Route C west of MO 59 that recently got changed with Route C being truncated to MO 59. Now BB is the part from I-49 to MO 59.

Don't understand why Route B don't get extended to MO 59 instead of creating a short Route BB.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: roadman65 on September 17, 2023, 07:37:26 PM
Is there a difference between one and two letter secondary route signings.

I've noticed in Goodman along I-49 thst Exit 17 is signed for Route B and Route BB. It seems Route BB is an old alignment of Route C west of MO 59 that recently got changed with Route C being truncated to MO 59. Now BB is the part from I-49 to MO 59.

Don't understand why Route B don't get extended to MO 59 instead of creating a short Route BB.

I'm not aware of any real difference between one-letter and two-letter routes.

I do think it's strange that B Hwy wasn't simply extended to 59.  However, it's very common for these routes to change designations at a major junction (or even a minor junction).  To the north of there is my family's usual route between Wichita and Branson.  Where we cross over I-49 north of Carthage, M Hwy changes to N Hwy.  At the Jasper junction, H Hwy turns into K Hwy at I-49.  North of Lamar, DD Hwy turns into EE Hwy.  Irwin, V Hwy to C Hwy.  Sheldon, N Hwy to B Hwy.  And so on and so forth.  This is not limited to I-49, but is very common statewide.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Has anyone seen the License Plate Wall inside the I-44 EB Welcome Center near Joplin?

Also I saw signs on I-49. Obviously it don’t have a welcome Center at the AR Border yet ( nor to my knowledge have any rest areas in MO being new to the system) but at Pineville it has for an affiliate Welcome Center off the freeway. I’m assuming that it’s a public private partnership thing until MoDOT decides to build normal rest areas on its latest interstate designation.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Quote from: ShawnP on September 03, 2012, 06:12:02 PM
I still see a need for 1 south bound and 2 North Bound rest areas(includes welcome center). Now MoDot has become anti rest area and will probably won't build any even including a welcome center.

Quote from: roadman65 on September 20, 2023, 09:14:14 AM
I'm assuming that it's a public private partnership thing until MoDOT decides to build normal rest areas on its latest interstate designation.

Well, |ShawnP| is no longer an active member, but I wonder if his opinion has changed on the matter.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

MikieTimT

Quote from: roadman65 on September 20, 2023, 09:14:14 AM
Has anyone seen the License Plate Wall inside the I-44 EB Welcome Center near Joplin?

Also I saw signs on I-49. Obviously it don't have a welcome Center at the AR Border yet ( nor to my knowledge have any rest areas in MO being new to the system) but at Pineville it has for an affiliate Welcome Center off the freeway. I'm assuming that it's a public private partnership thing until MoDOT decides to build normal rest areas on its latest interstate designation.

Arkansas had a welcome center planned at the northern Gravette exit, but I'm not sure on timelines as it was funded at one point, but may have been pulled.  I can't find it in the ARDOT 2023-2026 STIP, so it apparently didn't make the cut when the STIP was finalized.  There's still the tiny one open in Bella Vista, but that one is certainly useless for trucks, which aren't even allowed to enter as small as it is.

roadman65

https://maps.app.goo.gl/AZYQCsjv8zyUA3QM9
I was noticing this sign where US 159 meets I-29.  I don’t know if it’s the name Rulo or just that NE is a funny abbreviation. Plus there is also a Falls City, NE that is a county seat in Nebraska for Richardson County, NE , just beyond Rulo that was skipped over for this.

Sheryl Crowe

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

roadman65

Quote from: kphoger on September 25, 2023, 09:54:58 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 23, 2023, 02:32:51 PM
NE is a funny abbreviation

wut

I don't know. Just that a Capital N and E together don't seem right. Sounds better for New England. However, I know that NB is taken in Canada, yes, nothing else is available.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.