News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Missouri

Started by Revive 755, April 22, 2009, 12:39:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mvak36

MODOT has updated their Improve I-70 page: https://www.modot.org/improvei70/home

Missouri's FY2024 budget from the General Assembly and supported by Governor Parson provides General Revenue for the costs to plan, design, construct, reconstruct, rehabilitate and repair three lanes in each direction on approximately 200 miles of Interstate 70, from Blue Springs to Wentzville.

Next steps:

MoDOT will designate an overall project team to guide the I-70 work across the state. This website will continue to serve as the information source for updates and public input as the plan for design and construction is developed.

Environmental Documents Updated: approximately 1 year

Environmental documents to be re-evaluated to identify any changes in the road and its conditions, traffic and environmental impacts since the studies were originally completed in 2005. Some sections of I-70 are already underway, but others will have to start now that the full funding has been identified. This process will take about a year to get the documents updated.

Project Development: approximately 1 year

Project Development will take another year to begin the design process and determine how the work should be broken into segments. MoDOT will work with the private sector on plans to sequence project delivery based on traffic impacts and industry capacity to get the best value.

Construction: approximately 4-5 years

The project development phase will determine how the 200 miles will be divided up into various sized contracts. It's expected it will take 4-5 years to complete all the construction contracts dependent upon contractor and material availability.

Project Goals

The overall goal of the Improve I-70 project across Missouri is "to provide a safe, efficient, environmentally sound and cost-effective transportation facility that responds to corridor needs as well as expectations of a national interstate."
Specifically, the focus is on the following:

Roadway Capacity–Increase roadway capacity to improve the general operating conditions and reliability of I-70.
    Traffic Safety–Reduce the number and severity of traffic-related crashes occurring along I-70 across the state.
    Roadway Design Features–Upgrade roadway design features along I-70, including interchanges, roadway alignment and roadway cross sections.
    System Preservation–Preserve the I-70 facility through continued and ongoing rehabilitation and maintenance activities of pavement and bridges.
    Goods Movement–Improve the efficiency of freight movement on I-70.
    Access to Recreational Facilities–Facilitate motorist use of nearby regional facilities through improved accessibility.
    National Security– Maintain the important role the I-70 corridor plays in the nation's defenses.

In addition, the updated analysis of I-70 will include:

Transportation Innovation — Upgrade the design to include technology for connectivity, intelligent transportation systems and other emerging transportation innovations.

Governor Parson and the General Assembly have provided a once in a lifetime investment into this critical transportation corridor. These 200 miles of I-70 are some of the first interstate to be built in the country 60 years ago. This is a monumental challenge to deliver, but MoDOT is the transportation expert. Along with our private sector partners in engineering and construction, we will deliver.

Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

mvak36

https://www.missourinet.com/2023/05/10/missouris-widening-of-i-70-could-be-right-around-the-corner/

The shovels could come out soon to mark the start of widening Interstate-70 in Missouri. The state legislature has passed a state operating budget proposal that would designate $2.8 billion to widen Interstate-70 to at least three lanes in both directions from Blue Springs to Wentzville.

Missouri Senate Appropriations Committee Chair Lincoln Hough, R-Springfield, said I-70 is one of the more "shovel ready"  projects in Missouri.

"You've seen already roughly a billion dollars' worth of investment on that. You saw the project in and around the Columbia area,"  he said. "You know we've had some bridge projects in the St Louis area that have started and, quite frankly, that eases some of the, kind of, structural mechanics of putting it all together in a pretty robust timeline."

He estimates that the project could formally begin this fall.

"I would imagine that we have significant progress in putting this thing together probably by the fall, if not early winter of this year,"  he explained. "I mean, you know, these budget bills start in July when our new fiscal year will start. I imagine there's going to be a pretty expedited effort on MoDOT and OA (Missouri Office of Administration) is where the other portion of that debt bonding is, is located in our budget to start working together and getting that moving."  

If this is true, I wonder what section he is talking about.

From what I could find, maybe it is this project since they're close to being done with the re-evaluation of environmental studies.

afguy

Article from today's STL Post-Dispatch about $2.5 million being set aside to study extending I-72 west to St. Joseph.
Missouri could be poised to gain another interstate highway
QuoteThe push to widen Interstate 70 to three lanes across Missouri's mid-section has spawned a renewed bid to upgrade another cross-state roadway to expressway standards.

As part of the state's proposed budget, Missouri lawmakers approved $2.5 million to study the conversion of U.S. Route 36 into Interstate 72 between Hannibal in the east and St. Joseph in the west.

Also included in the spending plan being reviewed by Gov. Mike Parson are projects aimed improving travel on the route around Hannibal and Macon.

Parson, who backed an increase in the state's gas tax to boost road construction, is expected to sign the measure, although he did warn that he may veto some "fluff"  in the budget.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-could-be-poised-to-gain-another-interstate-highway/article_89373b7a-f987-11ed-985d-6be7252aa846.html

cjk374

Quote from: afguy on May 23, 2023, 03:18:00 PM
Article from today's STL Post-Dispatch about $2.5 million being set aside to study extending I-72 west to St. Joseph.
[siDoug tone.

b]Missouri could be poised to gain another interstate highway[/b][/size]
QuoteThe push to widen Interstate 70 to three lanes across Missouri's mid-section has spawned a renewed bid to upgrade another cross-state roadway to expressway standards.

As part of the state's proposed budget, Missouri lawmakers approved $2.5 million to study the conversion of U.S. Route 36 into Interstate 72 between Hannibal in the east and St. Joseph in the west.

Also included in the spending plan being reviewed by Gov. Mike Parson are projects aimed improving travel on the route around Hannibal and Macon.

Parson, who backed an increase in the state's gas tax to boost road construction, is expected to sign the measure, although he did warn that he may veto some "fluff"  in the budget.
https://www.stltoday.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/missouri-could-be-poised-to-gain-another-interstate-highway/article_89373b7a-f987-11ed-985d-6be7252aa846.html

I just found this story. They even used a picture from Dougtone's Flickr collection.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

afguy

This is an article from January of this year discussing the potential of upgrading the James River Fwy, along with US 65 and 360 to an interstate loop called I-244.

Less drag to your drive? Six lanes, millions of dollars and a big vision for James River Freeway
QuoteFrom Republic to Rogersville and about 24.5 miles in between, millions of dollars are being poured into making U.S. Highway 60 bigger, safer and easier to use.

Some projects are tied to an ambitious vision of converting James River Freeway into an interstate loop in Springfield – renaming and reclassifying it as Interstate 244. This would create a more streamlined south passage with six lanes to complement the I-44 corridor, and potentially lower drive times for locals and people who pass through Springfield.

An interstate highway conversion could happen in a matter of years. Or it might be decades from now, depending on how quickly parts of three highways can be brought to federal interstate standards, how quickly local governments can fund highway improvement projects and how hard Springfield's transportation planners push for the status change.

Money is being spent to widen and improve U.S. Highway 60 in Greene County, but not all of the work is directly tied to the development of the future I-244. When it comes to making a better, wider Highway 60, getting several government groups together at the same table is necessary. Greene County Second District Commissioner John C. Russell was appointed to the Greene County Commission in 2019. He became the chair of the Ozarks Transportation Organization (OTO) Board of Directors in 2022.
https://sgfcitizen.org/economy-growth/transportation/less-drag-to-your-drive-six-lanes-millions-of-dollars-and-a-big-vision-for-james-river-freeway/

intelati49

Quote from: afguy on May 24, 2023, 09:56:48 PM

Some projects are tied to an ambitious vision of converting James River Freeway into an interstate loop in Springfield – renaming and reclassifying it as Interstate 244. This would create a more streamlined south passage with six lanes to complement the I-44 corridor, and potentially lower drive times for locals and people who pass through Springfield.

An interstate highway conversion could happen in a matter of years. Or it might be decades from now, depending on how quickly parts of three highways can be brought to federal interstate standards, how quickly local governments can fund highway improvement projects and how hard Springfield's transportation planners push for the status change.

*Thinks*

The whole of James River and US65 around Springfield is already interstate quality??

Basically a Rose by any other name? I guess you can make the 60/65 turn four lanes through the interchange, but everything is free flow now.

I'm not "against" the loop renaming, but there's a part of me that likes the triangle with the three different US routes on each side...

I'm more interested in the capacity improvements. (Namely Campbell and US60 and street level bypasses)

The Ghostbuster

Although I wouldn't mind an Interstate 244 (or some other Interstate designation) along the James River Freeway, is an Interstate designation really needed? There was a thread on this subject: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=19956.0, although it has been dormant since 2017. If an Interstate designation is not pursued, I would settle for numbering the exits on the James River and the Schoolcraft Freeways.

skluth

I find it interesting that Springfield wants the freeways south and east of the city to be an interstate but St Louis and St Charles Counties have no interest in MO 370 being an interstate despite it being built to interstate standards and connecting I-70 with I-270 (and with I-270 being the best way to bypass the St Louis metro). Honestly, if the point is for there to be just one highway designation to go around Springfield, MO 360 could be designated for the entire length. It could even be made a loop around the city by making it concurrent with I-44. Put up big signs calling it Circle 360 which would be a great name for a highway anyway.

The Ghostbuster

AASHTO would only have allowed the existing MO 370 freeway to receive an Interstate designation if the designation was Interstate 870. Missouri refused the 870 designation, and the freeway is a state highway to this day. This isn't unprecedented since MO 249 and MO 364 are also state highways that could have potentially been Interstate Highways of the same numbers.

intelati49

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on May 25, 2023, 05:25:57 PM
AASHTO would only have allowed the existing MO 370 freeway to receive an Interstate designation if the designation was Interstate 870. Missouri refused the 870 designation, and the freeway is a state highway to this day. This isn't unprecedented since MO 249 and MO 364 are also state highways that could have potentially been Interstate Highways of the same numbers.

At least in the case of MO249, it is/was planned to be the ultimate routing of I-49. (It's been years since I've seen any reference to the plans though..) (See Arkansas 549 now I-49)

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on May 25, 2023, 08:48:53 PM

At least in the case of MO249, it is/was planned to be the ultimate routing of I-49. (It's been years since I've seen any reference to the plans though..) (See Arkansas 549 now I-49)

Yes, that was one of the projects they would have done if that sales tax increase in 2014 had passed. The I-244 in Springfield was also one of those projects. I don't remember how much they had for funding for that though so I'm not sure how much work is left to be done on both projects. The MO-249/BL 49 will have to upgrade the interchange with I-49 in Carthage for sure (not sure about the rest of the corridor).

fhmiii

Quote from: mvak36 on May 26, 2023, 01:46:31 PM
Yes, that was one of the projects they would have done if that sales tax increase in 2014 had passed. The I-244 in Springfield was also one of those projects. I don't remember how much they had for funding for that though so I'm not sure how much work is left to be done on both projects. The MO-249/BL 49 will have to upgrade the interchange with I-49 in Carthage for sure (not sure about the rest of the corridor).

Having just driven that route a couple of weeks ago, I'm reasonably certain that the interchange with I-49 at Carthage is the only holdup.  Everything else appears to be to Interstate standards, at least as I viewed it while driving past as 65mph!

intelati49

Quote from: fhmiii on May 30, 2023, 05:14:00 PM
Quote from: mvak36 on May 26, 2023, 01:46:31 PM

Having just driven that route a couple of weeks ago, I'm reasonably certain that the interchange with I-49 at Carthage is the only holdup.  Everything else appears to be to Interstate standards, at least as I viewed it while driving past as 65mph!
IIRC there's a couple older dimensionally deficit bridges along 171.

And there are design constraints along existing I-49.

I've worked up a few mocks years ago (like 2012-2013), but I've never seen a graphical depiction from MoDOT or a city..

Pixel 7a

mvak36

https://www.modot.org/node/28859

QuoteJEFFERSON CITY — The draft FY 2024-2028 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) was presented to the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission today. The draft five-year program includes funding from General Revenue — passed by the Missouri General Assembly — to widen and improve I-70, fix low-volume minor roads, upgrade railroad safety crossings and more. A 30-day public review and comment period begins today.

The STIP makes available $14 billion of federal and state revenues for all modes of transportation over the next five years. Of the $14 billion, the draft STIP details $10.5 billion in road and bridge construction contractor awards, averaging approximately $2.1 billion per year.  It also includes a record $3.4 billion in state General Revenue funded projects from the General Assembly subject to governor approval of the final budget.

"Over the past two years, the cost of doing transportation improvements has experienced record inflation ranging from 20-30%. Aside from the new funding from the General Assembly, this year's program didn't add a significant number of projects to the last two years as we manage the fiscal constraints of the funding,"  said MoDOT Director Patrick McKenna. "We are able to continue our asset management efforts while also making critical improvements and upgrades to corridors and safety features across the state."

The draft FY 2024-2028 STIP lists transportation projects planned by state and regional planning agencies for fiscal years 2024-2028 (July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2028) and reflects the transportation needs of communities across the state.

The proposed program is available for public review. Those interested in seeing the program or offering comments can contact MoDOT by email to STIPcomments@modot.mo.gov, by calling customer service at 1-888-ASK-MoDOT (275-6636), or by mail to Transportation Planning, Program Comments, P.O. Box 270, Jefferson City, MO 65102. The program is also available on MoDOT's website: https://www.modot.org/DRAFTSTIP. The formal comment period ends July 6, 2023.

Following the public review period, the comments will be presented to the Commission. The Commission will review the comments and the final transportation program before considering it for approval at its July 12 meeting.

The legislatively designated and funded initiatives are located at: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Sec04bLDFI.pdf. These are all pending the governor's signature.

Tentative I-70 construction start date per above link:

Blue Springs to Odessa: FY25
Odessa to Boonville: FY27
Boonville to Rte 740 (Stadium Blvd) in Columbia: FY26
Rte 740 (Stadium Blvd) to Route Z (Columbia): FY24
Route Z (Columbia) to Warrenton: FY27
Warrenton to I-64: FY25

Plutonic Panda

That's a nice timeline. Hopefully they move the left exit in Columbia to the right side.

sprjus4

So is the entirety of I-70 between St. Louis and Kansas City set to be widened over the next 5 or so years? Or just certain portions?

intelati49

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 07, 2023, 08:05:57 PM
So is the entirety of I-70 between St. Louis and Kansas City set to be widened over the next 5 or so years? Or just certain portions?
I believe it's a high majority. (And there's a doubt in my mind of that 5 year timeline)

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on June 07, 2023, 09:20:10 PM
I believe it's a high majority. (And there's a doubt in my mind of that 5 year timeline)

The whole stretch between Blue Springs and Wentzville will be widened. Those dates I posted are just the tentative start dates for the construction. They are still subject to change. I also don't know how long each project would take.

fhmiii

Quote from: mvak36 on June 08, 2023, 08:59:48 AM
Quote from: intelati49 on June 07, 2023, 09:20:10 PM

The whole stretch between Blue Springs and Wentzville will be widened. Those dates I posted are just the tentative start dates for the construction. They are still subject to change. I also don't know how long each project would take.

Even if these start dates are realized, it will probably be 2030 before the last section is completed.  As with most infrastructure projects, we can probably expect delays.  It could be 2033 or even 2035 before everything is finally done.

mvak36

Quote from: mvak36 on June 07, 2023, 01:59:50 PM
https://www.modot.org/node/28859

QuoteJEFFERSON CITY — The draft FY 2024-2028 Statewide Transportation Improvement Program (STIP) was presented to the Missouri Highways and Transportation Commission today. The draft five-year program includes funding from General Revenue — passed by the Missouri General Assembly — to widen and improve I-70, fix low-volume minor roads, upgrade railroad safety crossings and more. A 30-day public review and comment period begins today.

The STIP makes available $14 billion of federal and state revenues for all modes of transportation over the next five years. Of the $14 billion, the draft STIP details $10.5 billion in road and bridge construction contractor awards, averaging approximately $2.1 billion per year.  It also includes a record $3.4 billion in state General Revenue funded projects from the General Assembly subject to governor approval of the final budget.

"Over the past two years, the cost of doing transportation improvements has experienced record inflation ranging from 20-30%. Aside from the new funding from the General Assembly, this year's program didn't add a significant number of projects to the last two years as we manage the fiscal constraints of the funding,"  said MoDOT Director Patrick McKenna. "We are able to continue our asset management efforts while also making critical improvements and upgrades to corridors and safety features across the state."

The draft FY 2024-2028 STIP lists transportation projects planned by state and regional planning agencies for fiscal years 2024-2028 (July 1, 2023 - June 30, 2028) and reflects the transportation needs of communities across the state.

The proposed program is available for public review. Those interested in seeing the program or offering comments can contact MoDOT by email to STIPcomments@modot.mo.gov, by calling customer service at 1-888-ASK-MoDOT (275-6636), or by mail to Transportation Planning, Program Comments, P.O. Box 270, Jefferson City, MO 65102. The program is also available on MoDOT's website: https://www.modot.org/DRAFTSTIP. The formal comment period ends July 6, 2023.

Following the public review period, the comments will be presented to the Commission. The Commission will review the comments and the final transportation program before considering it for approval at its July 12 meeting.

The legislatively designated and funded initiatives are located at: https://www.modot.org/sites/default/files/documents/Sec04bLDFI.pdf. These are all pending the governor's signature.

Tentative I-70 construction start date per above link:

Blue Springs to Odessa: FY25
Odessa to Boonville: FY27
Boonville to Rte 740 (Stadium Blvd) in Columbia: FY26
Rte 740 (Stadium Blvd) to Route Z (Columbia): FY24
Route Z (Columbia) to Warrenton: FY27
Warrenton to I-64: FY25

Looking through the KC project list, there is a project to replace one of the MO291 bridges over the Missouri River. Tentative start date is FY26.

Project Number: 4P3471
Description from Draft STIP: Bridge replacement over the Missouri River. Project involves bridge L0568.

It looks like it's the Northbound bridge.

intelati49

Quote from: mvak36 on June 08, 2023, 09:30:51 AM

IIRC the NB bridge was closed for a while when I was up there. Caused a medium fuss..

mvak36

Quote from: intelati49 on June 08, 2023, 10:07:02 AM

IIRC the NB bridge was closed for a while when I was up there. Caused a medium fuss..

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. I think it happened in 2015 or so. I remember MODOT saying they didn't have enough funding to replace the bridge.

fhmiii

Quote from: mvak36 on June 08, 2023, 10:15:29 AM
Quote from: intelati49 on June 08, 2023, 10:07:02 AM

Now that you mention it, I do remember that. I think it happened in 2015 or so. I remember MODOT saying they didn't have enough funding to replace the bridge.

That is the older span from when MO-291 used to be 2 lanes.  The southbound span is wider and has a shoulder for breakdowns or other stopped vehicles.  I'm sure this will be a smaller-scale version of the Chain of Rocks Bridge replacement.

mvak36

Quote from: fhmiii on June 08, 2023, 01:58:42 PM

That is the older span from when MO-291 used to be 2 lanes.  The southbound span is wider and has a shoulder for breakdowns or other stopped vehicles.  I'm sure this will be a smaller-scale version of the Chain of Rocks Bridge replacement.

Good to know. Are you referring to the replacement of the old Chain or Rocks bridge or the one on I-270?

I should probably get up there again one of these days and drive on the truss bridge before it gets replaced. I'm guessing the new one won't be a truss. Maybe something similar to what they're doing on the I-70 Rocheport bridge.

fhmiii

Quote from: mvak36 on June 08, 2023, 02:24:59 PM
Quote from: fhmiii on June 08, 2023, 01:58:42 PM

Good to know. Are you referring to the replacement of the old Chain or Rocks bridge or the one on I-270?

I should probably get up there again one of these days and drive on the truss bridge before it gets replaced. I'm guessing the new one won't be a truss. Maybe something similar to what they're doing on the I-70 Rocheport bridge.

Yes, I meant the "New" bridge on I-270, where they're going to build one span and the drop the old one.  Probably something similar here, but just one side.

I likewise doubt the new span will be a truss, which is too bad.  Bridges are losing all character to these ugly concrete monstrosities.  The Buck O'Neill Bridge replacement is going from a steel arch to a concrete highway bridge.  It's going to change and detract from our skyline, and all it would take is some minor cosmetic additions to make these bridges more appealing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.