News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Local/regional store chains you wish were nationwide?

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 07, 2019, 04:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: dvferyance on November 10, 2019, 11:08:09 AM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 09, 2019, 10:11:02 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 09, 2019, 10:03:18 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 09, 2019, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on November 09, 2019, 02:30:05 PM
Meijer. It would give WalMart a run for its money with its hypermarkets.
I'm a big Meijer fan. In IL, tho, they haven't stretched much further south than Central IL that I have found
Actually the southernmost Meijer is Bowling Green KY it will likely remain that way. They have already said they have no desire to be a national company.
I know there are Meijers in KY and Southern IN. Just haven't seen them in Southern IL

I don't think their goal is to get too far from home base in Michigan
The farthest south they go in Illinois is Springfield. I doubt they would enter the Metro east area unless they were expanding into Missouri.
To the Marion-Carbondale area, the Meijer in Evansville, IN is closer than the Springfield one

I could see a Marion and/or Mount Vernon, IL one if Meijer also was looking to drop one in Paducah, KY. Not sure where the DC is that feeds the Evansville and Bowling Green stores (I would assume its the same one)

Probably right on the Metro East - doesn't make sense to target that market unless Meijer plans to go after both sides of the Mississippi in St Louis

mgk920

20 or so years ago I would have likely said either Shopko (was HQed in Ashwaubenon [suburban Green Bay],WI) and/or Kohl's (HQed in Menomonee Falls [suburban Milwaukee], WI).

Hmmmmmm.....

:-P

However, I do agree on Menards (it has no apostrophe, BTW) (HQed in the Eau Claire, WI area).

Howabout upper Midwest regional general goods/farm/outdoor sports stuff store chain Fleet-Farm (HQed in Appleton, WI)?

Mike

ftballfan

Quote from: Brandon on November 09, 2019, 09:12:37 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on November 09, 2019, 08:31:55 PM
Quote from: cwf1701 on November 09, 2019, 02:30:05 PM
Meijer. It would give WalMart a run for its money with its hypermarkets.
I'm a big Meijer fan. In IL, tho, they haven't stretched much further south than Central IL that I have found

Meijer, unlike Walmart or Target, is privately owned and they take their time deciding where to go and when to build.  Right now, the focus seems to be on Wisconsin and the UP, and then eastern Ohio.

I find them a heck of a lot better than Walmart.  And contrary to HB, they're about the same price as Walmart with more and better product.

Meijer finally entered the Cleveland metro area recently (I think at least a few of the stores (existing and proposed) are on the sites of former Super Kmarts). However, Meijer has had locations in Sandusky and Mansfield/Ontario (both on the edge of the Cleveland TV market) for years.

GaryV

As Meijer continues to expand its area, they will continue to need to monitor their quality.  When we moved to metro Detroit years ago, we noticed the employees were not quite as friendly and helpful as those back in the home base around Grand Rapids.  And some things that made for a more pleasant experience, like "You're Next In Line" (*) have been discontinued.

That said, when college kids who go to places without a Meijer come back home, they often say, "I missed Meijer's."

(*) an old advertised policy that if the checkout lines were more than 2 deep, they'd open more lanes until all the lanes in the store were open.

Flint1979

Meijer finally remodeled both Saginaw stores and they blow Walmart away here. Saginaw has two Meijer stores, two Walmart stores and one Target. Midland has one of each and Bay City has two Meijer stores and one Walmart.

I think they want to remain a regional chain and haven't gone too far from their roots and are privately owned by the Meijer family.

nexus73

Vallarta is an upscale market with a Hispanic theme.  There are plenty of "regular" goods there to go with a ton of freshly prepared Mexican dishes and sides, all at fine prices.  The interior rates as superdeluxe.  This market would succeed anywhere.  Unfortunately they are a Southern California regional chain instead of nationwide.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Rothman

I don't understand the love for Menards.  It has been years since I have been in one, but the one in Superior, WI just sold cheap junk.  Good place to buy simple Christmas ornaments, I suppose...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on November 11, 2019, 08:35:58 PM
I don't understand the love for Menards.  It has been years since I have been in one, but the one in Superior, WI just sold cheap junk.  Good place to buy simple Christmas ornaments, I suppose...

Never been in one, but they're a hardware/lumber big-box like Lowe's or Home Depot, right?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Big John

DaBigE

Having been immersed in Menards for as long as I have been alive, I don't understand it either. For a while, they were the only big-box home improvement store in the area (aside from Handy Andy and Builder's Square in a couple select areas). Then Home Depot and eventually Lowes came and opened my eyes. Personally, I'd equate Menards to be the Walmart of home improvement chains.
"We gotta find this road, it's like Bob's road!" - Rabbit, Twister

MNHighwayMan

If you're going to Menards for Christmas ornaments, you might be doing it wrong.

hbelkins

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on November 12, 2019, 04:13:03 PM

If you're going to Menards for Christmas ornaments, you might be doing it wrong.

I dunno. Lowe's carries a huge line of Christmas decorations, and their 50 percent off clearance used to start a couple of days prior to Dec. 25.

RobbieL2415

Let me, for just a moment bring everyone here back 21 years. 1998.

In the Hartford Metro area, for department stores, you had at least one of each:

Walmart
Caldor
Bradlees
Ames
Kmart
Sears
Filenes
Lord and Taylor
Penny's
Bob's
Marshall's
Bernie's
CompUSA
Media Play
Circuit City
Staples
Office Max
Office Depot
Marshall's
TJMaxx
As of November, 2019 you have at least one of each:

Walmart
Target
Sears (why???)
Penny's
Macy's
Staples
Best Buy
Marshall's
TJMaxx

There has clearly been a consolidation of sorts going on since the mainstreaming of online shopping.

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

dvferyance

Quote from: hbelkins on November 12, 2019, 11:47:54 AM

Never been in one, but they're a hardware/lumber big-box like Lowe's or Home Depot, right?
From what I understand they have been planning a store in Bowling Green for awhile that is not too far from you. Right now Menards only 2 Kentucky locations are in Owensboro and Florence.

roadman65

Kroger should be nationwide.  Also ShopRite and QT convenience stores.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

tdindy88

Quote from: roadman65 on November 12, 2019, 09:22:44 PM
Kroger should be nationwide. 

Technically they already are since Kroger owns several grocery store chains. I know my KrogerPlus card worked at Ralph's in Southern California no problem.

roadman65

In Central Florida they do not own any.  Only in Florida is the Jacksonville area, but Publix rules the rest of the state pretty much.

Sheryl Crowe

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2019, 06:15:59 PM
You forgot G. Fox, unless it was gone by 1998.

G. Fox became Macy's in 1993.  Pretty much coincided with the closure of the flagship location in Downtown Hartford (a couple years after they lost their battle with CTDOT and the flyover ramp from I-84 East to I-91 North opened to bypass the old Morgan St connection.)
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

RobbieL2415

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on November 12, 2019, 11:12:09 PM
Quote from: Rothman on November 12, 2019, 06:15:59 PM
You forgot G. Fox, unless it was gone by 1998.

G. Fox became Macy's in 1993.  Pretty much coincided with the closure of the flagship location in Downtown Hartford (a couple years after they lost their battle with CTDOT and the flyover ramp from I-84 East to I-91 North opened to bypass the old Morgan St connection.)

Correction:

In 1993:

G.Fox was a May's store from 1965.  As was Filene's from 1929.  Macy's was a Federated store from 1994.  May's made the decision in 1993 to phase out G. Fox and replace all the remaining stores (except the flagship Hartford location:( ) with Filene's.  In 2005, May's and Federated merged together to create Macy's Inc. and all all store brands were changed to Macy's.

So for example, the Buckland Hills Mall in Manchester opened in 1990, and has had all three store marques as an anchor tenant at one point: G. Fox until 1993, Filene's until 2005, and Macy's from 2005. Lord and Taylor also operated in the mall from 1990 to 2005 but was rebranded to be the apparel/furniture storefront for Macy's as the space that section currently occupied was being expanded.

zzyzx

Grew up in CT, now living in CA.  Spent time in VA, PA, and Texas.  Here's what I'd like to see nationwide (for local chains in general, not just big box stores):

New England region:
- I miss Bertuccis pizza.  I heard most locations are now closed but there are still a couple around my hometown.  Whenever I fly into T.F Green our family stops in.  Their warm bread rolls are amazing!
- Del's lemonade.  Perfect summertime treat.  Why I can't find anything close to theirs (with lemon rinds mixed into their lemonade drink) remains a mystery to me.
- Honestly, most of the places I went to back home are either already nationwide or local mom and pop businesses.

PA:
- Sheetz.  Whenever I worked late nights or early mornings it was always a relief knowing I could get an MTO breakfast sandwich anytime I wanted.
- Wegmans. I know they're NY based but they have a strong enough presence in the Mid-Atlantic region now.

Texas:
- H-E-B. Low prices, outstanding quality, unique Texas shaped items, yummy warm homemade tortillas.  Very friendly employees.
- Alamo Drafthouse.  They are slowly expanding nationwide, but the one in LA is over an hour from me.  I can't go back to a normal movie theater chain after experiencing movies the Alamo way. I met the CEO at an event in Austin last year and learned more about the founder's backstory.
- Buc'ees.  I would like to see one proposed in New England just to hear the uproar from people fighting against a warehouse sized gas station and a convenience store half the size of Wal-Mart in their small town.  I think their bathrooms are rated #2 for cleanliness in the entire country.
- For restaurants, I enjoyed Torchy's Tacos and Hopdoddy.

CA:
- In-N-Out. 
Haven't been here long enough to experience what else is unique to CA.  So far, most of what I've seen here is already nationwide.  Anything good I'm missing that's only found in CA or on the west coast?

nexus73

Quote from: zzyzx on November 13, 2019, 01:42:38 AM
Grew up in CT, now living in CA.  Spent time in VA, PA, and Texas.  Here's what I'd like to see nationwide (for local chains in general, not just big box stores):

New England region:
- I miss Bertuccis pizza.  I heard most locations are now closed but there are still a couple around my hometown.  Whenever I fly into T.F Green our family stops in.  Their warm bread rolls are amazing!
- Del's lemonade.  Perfect summertime treat.  Why I can't find anything close to theirs (with lemon rinds mixed into their lemonade drink) remains a mystery to me.
- Honestly, most of the places I went to back home are either already nationwide or local mom and pop businesses.

PA:
- Sheetz.  Whenever I worked late nights or early mornings it was always a relief knowing I could get an MTO breakfast sandwich anytime I wanted.
- Wegmans. I know they're NY based but they have a strong enough presence in the Mid-Atlantic region now.

Texas:
- H-E-B. Low prices, outstanding quality, unique Texas shaped items, yummy warm homemade tortillas.  Very friendly employees.
- Alamo Drafthouse.  They are slowly expanding nationwide, but the one in LA is over an hour from me.  I can't go back to a normal movie theater chain after experiencing movies the Alamo way. I met the CEO at an event in Austin last year and learned more about the founder's backstory.
- Buc'ees.  I would like to see one proposed in New England just to hear the uproar from people fighting against a warehouse sized gas station and a convenience store half the size of Wal-Mart in their small town.  I think their bathrooms are rated #2 for cleanliness in the entire country.
- For restaurants, I enjoyed Torchy's Tacos and Hopdoddy.

CA:
- In-N-Out. 
Haven't been here long enough to experience what else is unique to CA.  So far, most of what I've seen here is already nationwide.  Anything good I'm missing that's only found in CA or on the west coast?

El Pollo Loco.  Sides aren't much but the chicken is tasty.

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

hbelkins

Quote from: dvferyance on November 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM

From what I understand they have been planning a store in Bowling Green for awhile that is not too far from you. Right now Menards only 2 Kentucky locations are in Owensboro and Florence.

I'm closer to Florence than Bowling Green. I don't get to Florence real often, but now that you mention it, I think they may have taken over a location that Builders Square once had when it went under.

roadman65

In and Out is outside CA. I just ate in two locations in Texas. One near SA International Airport and another outside Fort Hood.

Sheryl Crowe

planxtymcgillicuddy

Quote from: hbelkins on November 13, 2019, 05:07:59 PM
Quote from: dvferyance on November 12, 2019, 09:14:25 PM

I'm closer to Florence than Bowling Green. I don't get to Florence real often, but now that you mention it, I think they may have taken over a location that Builders Square once had when it went under.

Wait-the Louisville store hasnt been built yet?
It's easy to be easy when you're easy...

Quote from: on_wisconsin on November 27, 2021, 02:39:12 PM
Whats a Limon, and does it go well with gin?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.