News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Virginia

Started by Alex, February 04, 2009, 12:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mapmikey

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 13, 2021, 01:33:38 PM
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 13, 2021, 11:57:46 AM
I'm no lawyer, but my stupid question was this - because of how the road on the Virginia side is configured in using a horseshoe curve to reach the landing, how is the ferry landing not within the ROW of this VDOT-maintained road?  Wouldn't change the fact that the ferry didn't own it, but rather who the ferry should have been dealing with.

The text in boldface was actually a major matter of dispute in the lawsuit. The opinion (31-page letter ruling) is linked in Reply #5427 in this thread, if you want to read it. A letter ruling is a fairly standard procedure in Virginia's circuit courts and I'm glad WTOP got hold of a copy so it would be easily available. I don't know whether, or when, it'll be published in the Va. Cir. reporter.

Thanks...I read through this.

It appears the defense argument was that the landing has public access due to its location at the end of a state maintained road.  That is different than saying the plaintiff owns it and the defense countering with the idea that VDOT owns it as part of ROW access it has on state maintained roads (meaning plaintiff had no standing to sue since it wouldn't be the owner).

I was also confused about the reference to 1954 Loudon County abandoning some part of SR 655.  The county no longer had control over it after 1932 so all they could do is request that VDOH formally abandon it.

If SR 655 went straight to the landing (no hairpin), then my question is moot since ROW extends to each side of the roadway and not forward past end of maintenance.  But it seemed to me that the landing is pretty close to the edge of roadway as it passes by prior to its hairpin down to the ramp.  The CTB minutes of the 1930s is full of entries about granting access to the ROW of state maintained roads for service station entrances and utility placements.  There was no easy way to search these for what distance from the centerline the ROW exists on a secondary route.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

1995hoo

Heard on the radio that Fairfax City plans to install speed cameras. The location that stuck in my mind was on Main Street (VA-236) passing Woodson HS (from which I graduated 30 years ago), which is certainly a location where it's easy to violate the 35-mph speed limit.

I was not aware of any Virginia law allowing speed cameras, though I would not be surprised at all to hear there was a new law since the Democrats got control of both houses in the General Assembly.

Edited to add: Seems they did indeed ram it through last year. School zones and highway work zones....for now.

froggie

^ Looks like they mostly matched Maryland's speed camera law:  school and work zones only, no tickets unless going more than 10 over (IIRC, Maryland's law is 12 over).

WillWeaverRVA

The City of Richmond has begun putting up "Richmond Highway"  signage along US 1/301 in South Richmond. City Council voted to rename Jeff Davis Highway in December.

https://twitter.com/broadcastben_/status/1364750633006415874?s=21
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

Naming it "Richmond Highway" in Richmond seems weird to me. I assume the idea is consistency with other jurisdictions in Virginia, but normally when you use a city's name, it's because the road goes there. In this case, you're already there.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 25, 2021, 09:32:16 AM
Naming it "Richmond Highway" in Richmond seems weird to me. I assume the idea is consistency with other jurisdictions in Virginia, but normally when you use a city's name, it's because the road goes there. In this case, you're already there.

It is weird. City Council could have come up with a different name. Extending the Cowardin Avenue designation would have been a no-go because they'd be replacing one Confederate figure with another (Cowardin Avenue is named after the founder of Cowardin Jewelers, who was a Confederate Army officer).

The only segments of US 1 still actively named Jeff Davis Hwy are located in Stafford, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Caroline, and Chesterfield. Of course, the entire length of US 1 in Virginia is named Jefferson Davis Highway legislatively.

On another (similar) note, the Virginia Senate passed a House bill on Tuesday that would give any county with the county-manager form of government the power to rename US 29 - in other words, Arlington County.
Will Weaver

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

1995hoo

I wonder how many of the "rename everything" crowd realize that Arlington County is named for Robert E. Lee's estate.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 25, 2021, 01:36:54 PM
I wonder how many of the "rename everything" crowd realize that Arlington County is named for Robert E. Lee's estate.

But did Lee name it Arlington House himself? I thought it was named by the Custis family. I think association is one thing, but the bigger issue may be those direct connections; at least it's not Robert E Lee Cemetery. But there is Lee County, so....

Here in Washington, the City of Arlington was named after Lord Henry Arlington.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: jakeroot on February 25, 2021, 02:17:08 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 25, 2021, 01:36:54 PM

But did Lee name it Arlington House himself? I thought it was named by the Custis family. I think association is one thing, but the bigger issue may be those direct connections; at least it's not Robert E Lee Cemetery. But there is Lee County, so....

Here in Washington, the City of Arlington was named after Lord Henry Arlington.

Arlington House was named by the Custis family, yes. Its original name was Mount Washington.
Will Weaver

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 25, 2021, 10:01:00 AM

It is weird. City Council could have come up with a different name. Extending the Cowardin Avenue designation would have been a no-go because they'd be replacing one Confederate figure with another (Cowardin Avenue is named after the founder of Cowardin Jewelers, who was a Confederate Army officer).

The only segments of US 1 still actively named Jeff Davis Hwy are located in Stafford, Fredericksburg, Spotsylvania, Caroline, and Chesterfield. Of course, the entire length of US 1 in Virginia is named Jefferson Davis Highway legislatively.

On another (similar) note, the Virginia Senate passed a House bill on Tuesday that would give any county with the county-manager form of government the power to rename US 29 - in other words, Arlington County.

Question... was US 1 in Fairfax County ever named after Jefferson Davis? The "Richmond Highway" designation on that segment has been around long before many of the recent renamings were in effect.

Takumi

How about South Belvedere Street?
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

froggie

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on February 26, 2021, 05:40:09 PM
Question... was US 1 in Fairfax County ever named after Jefferson Davis? The "Richmond Highway" designation on that segment has been around long before many of the recent renamings were in effect.

Not to my knowledge, aside from the official state designation.  I don't recall whether Mapmikey found it or I did, nor WHERE we found it, but I recall evidence suggesting it was known in Fairfax County as Richmond Hwy before the state law designated all of US 1 in the state as Jefferson Davis Hwy.

Dirt Roads

If you go back far enough, US-1 didn't have any street names south of say Telegraph Road (which I believe was US-1 back then).  I do remember seeing an old reassurance assembly (shield, highway name, control city sign) somewhere not far south of Mt. Vernon back in the 1970s.  Those "highway name signs" said "Jefferson Davis Highway" all up and down the state.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: froggie on February 26, 2021, 11:51:57 PM

Not to my knowledge, aside from the official state designation.  I don't recall whether Mapmikey found it or I did, nor WHERE we found it, but I recall evidence suggesting it was known in Fairfax County as Richmond Hwy before the state law designated all of US 1 in the state as Jefferson Davis Hwy.

Interesting story then, for such a major highway to lack a designation. This is common in rural places where addresses will simply read route numbers and whatnot. Wonder if there was any opposition towards the Jefferson Davis name from the county.

...and apparently, everything designated as such is now slated to be decommissioned. https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/lawmakers-vote-to-remove-jefferson-davis-highway-name-from-route-1/article_627615e4-78c7-11eb-9a4e-bfb2619cba72.html

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Takumi on February 26, 2021, 10:13:23 PM

How about South Belvedere Street?

I'm not sure that would work since South Richmond uses the old Manchester street grid.
Will Weaver

Mapmikey

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on February 27, 2021, 11:43:38 AM

Interesting story then, for such a major highway to lack a designation. This is common in rural places where addresses will simply read route numbers and whatnot. Wonder if there was any opposition towards the Jefferson Davis name from the county.

Doubtful there was any meaningful opposition to naming then-VA 1 JD Hwy, since the law that did this was in 1922.

I found the e-mail exchange Froggie and I had on this in 2015.  The conclusion was that Richmond Hwy came first.

The 1923 Indian Head MD topo explicitly labels it as this.  Other sources call it the Richmond-Washington Hwy (along with Richmond-Petersburg Pike and Boydton Plank Rd).

Poking around on ebay post cards I found one for a hotel with a Richmond Hwy address postmarked 1951.

Takumi

...and apparently, everything designated as such is now slated to be decommissioned. https://www.insidenova.com/headlines/lawmakers-vote-to-remove-jefferson-davis-highway-name-from-route-1/article_627615e4-78c7-11eb-9a4e-bfb2619cba72.html
I'd be very surprised if they don't all name it Richmond Highway.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

Jmiles32

https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-i64-budget-20210226-f6dew77vmfd6hjsf5xdbpjbu7u-story.html
QuoteNegotiators for the House of Delegates and the state Senate agreed to set $93.1 million from federal COVID-19 relief funds for work on I-64. The money is to go to the proposed 44-mile network of express and toll lanes for the region, running from the Jefferson Avenue intersection in Newport News to the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake. It will also go to widening I-64 in James City and New Kent counties, the nearly 30-mile stretch between Bottoms Bridge, at exit 205, and Lightfoot, at exit 234.

The express lanes network includes the expansion of the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, a $3.86 billion project that will be funded with some $3.21 billion from Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability commission debt and tax revenue collections.

In addition, money would come from the projected $345 million in tolls from the High Occupancy/Toll express lanes. The state had committed $308 million for the expansion. The HOT lanes are free for drivers who have passengers, but drivers who are on their own pay a toll that varies depending on how crowded the highway is.

The rest of the network, projected to cost $806 million, includes pricey projects to create new HOT express lane approaches to the HRBT, modify the I-564 interchange to allow for two HOT lanes and set up HOT lanes between Lasalle Avenue and the Mercury Boulevard interchange in Hampton. It would also set up part-time HOT lanes on the shoulders of I-64 in South Hampton Roads and convert existing High Occupancy Vehicle lanes into HOT lanes.

Projections made last month for those portions of the network are for HRTAC funding of $420 million, toll revenue of $266 million and previously promised state funds of $26 million.

That left a projected gap of $93.1 million.

The conference committee's budget amendment "shows the General Assembly is committed to the Hampton Roads express lanes network and to any additional work on the I-64 corridor,"  said Kevin Page, HRTAC's executive director.

The amendment doesn't detail an exact split between the express lanes and project to widen I-64 in the upper Peninsula, but it marks an important start for work in James City and New Kent, said Del. Mike Mullin, D-Newport News, who has been pushing for funding to widen I-64 between Lightfoot and Bottoms Bridge for five years.

"We're finally getting the funding we need to widen I-64 all the way to Richmond,"  he said.

The money is part of $323.4 million of COVID-19 relief funds slated for several transportation projects around the state.

Not really sure if this was news since widening I-64 to Richmond has always been part of the plan. However, hopefully, what this entails is that that these improvements will not be pushed back due to the pandemic.
Aspiring Transportation Planner at Virginia Tech. Go Hokies!

sprjus4

Quote from: Jmiles32 on March 01, 2021, 01:39:45 PM
https://www.dailypress.com/news/transportation/dp-nw-i64-budget-20210226-f6dew77vmfd6hjsf5xdbpjbu7u-story.html
QuoteNegotiators for the House of Delegates and the state Senate agreed to set $93.1 million from federal COVID-19 relief funds for work on I-64. The money is to go to the proposed 44-mile network of express and toll lanes for the region, running from the Jefferson Avenue intersection in Newport News to the Bowers Hill interchange in Chesapeake. It will also go to widening I-64 in James City and New Kent counties, the nearly 30-mile stretch between Bottoms Bridge, at exit 205, and Lightfoot, at exit 234.

The express lanes network includes the expansion of the Hampton Roads Bridge-Tunnel, a $3.86 billion project that will be funded with some $3.21 billion from Hampton Roads Transportation Accountability commission debt and tax revenue collections.

In addition, money would come from the projected $345 million in tolls from the High Occupancy/Toll express lanes. The state had committed $308 million for the expansion. The HOT lanes are free for drivers who have passengers, but drivers who are on their own pay a toll that varies depending on how crowded the highway is.

The rest of the network, projected to cost $806 million, includes pricey projects to create new HOT express lane approaches to the HRBT, modify the I-564 interchange to allow for two HOT lanes and set up HOT lanes between Lasalle Avenue and the Mercury Boulevard interchange in Hampton. It would also set up part-time HOT lanes on the shoulders of I-64 in South Hampton Roads and convert existing High Occupancy Vehicle lanes into HOT lanes.

Projections made last month for those portions of the network are for HRTAC funding of $420 million, toll revenue of $266 million and previously promised state funds of $26 million.

That left a projected gap of $93.1 million.

The conference committee's budget amendment "shows the General Assembly is committed to the Hampton Roads express lanes network and to any additional work on the I-64 corridor,"  said Kevin Page, HRTAC's executive director.

The amendment doesn't detail an exact split between the express lanes and project to widen I-64 in the upper Peninsula, but it marks an important start for work in James City and New Kent, said Del. Mike Mullin, D-Newport News, who has been pushing for funding to widen I-64 between Lightfoot and Bottoms Bridge for five years.

"We're finally getting the funding we need to widen I-64 all the way to Richmond,"  he said.

The money is part of $323.4 million of COVID-19 relief funds slated for several transportation projects around the state.

Not really sure if this was news since widening I-64 to Richmond has always been part of the plan. However, hopefully, what this entails is that that these improvements will not be pushed back due to the pandemic.
Hopefully we can see an accelerated timeline for at least Segment 4, which the HRTPO is actively trying to get funded, which would widen to 6 lanes between the New Kent / James City County line and VA-199, about 8 miles.

sprjus4

VDOT Announces Phased Opening of Greenwich Road Flyover in Virginia Beach
QuoteVIRGINIA BEACH — The new Greenwich Road flyover, which spans I-264 in Virginia Beach and will connect Cleveland Street with Greenwich Road, is opening to traffic as early as March 8 -- a significant milestone in Phase II of VDOT's I-64/I-264 Interchange Improvements Project.

The bridge will initially open to two lanes of traffic, with one lane of traffic in each direction between Greenwich Road and Cleveland Street. This phased opening will allow the project contractor to move forward with its work to improve the five-legged Witchduck intersection, while simultaneously opening up new access for motorists from Cleveland Street to Greenwich Road.

Once the flyover opens to traffic, motorists traveling on Greenwich Road who wish to access Witchduck Road will travel across the flyover to Cleveland Street, reaching Witchduck Road on the north side of I-264 and proceeding to their intended destination. When the new traffic pattern is in place, motorists are encouraged to use caution and plan ahead when traveling through this area.

With the phased opening of the Greenwich Road flyover, crews will implement the planned, permanent closure of a portion of Greenwich Road near the intersection with Witchduck Road, adding a cul-de-sac just east of the former Norfolk Southern railroad tracks. A new I-264 east off-ramp, part of improvements to the I-264 interchange with Witchduck Road (exit 16), will be constructed in place of the recently closed portion of Greenwich Road.

When the flyover opens, turns from both directions of Witchduck Road onto Greenwich Road will be permanently restricted, and motorists on Witchduck Road will utilize Cleveland Street on the north side of the interstate to access Greenwich Road.

Directional signage will be in place throughout the corridor for approximately 90 days to assist motorists in navigating the new traffic pattern.

Ultimately, the flyover will accommodate four lanes of traffic, with two lanes of traffic in each direction. This work is expected to be completed in fall 2021, aligning with the substantial completion date of the interchange project.

The flyover's phased opening is weather-dependent and subject to change based on schedule updates.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Takumi on February 27, 2021, 08:23:28 PM

I'd be very surprised if they don't all name it Richmond Highway.

Actually. Seems the entire expanse of U.S. 1 in Virginia will now be overlaid with the name "Emancipation Highway". https://wtop.com/virginia/2021/02/bill-would-eliminate-virginias-jefferson-davis-highway-statewide/ I do not know if this will supersede any portions municipalities have opted to designate as Richmond Highway.
Quote from: Mapmikey on February 27, 2021, 02:54:07 PM

Doubtful there was any meaningful opposition to naming then-VA 1 JD Hwy, since the law that did this was in 1922.

I found the e-mail exchange Froggie and I had on this in 2015.  The conclusion was that Richmond Hwy came first.

The 1923 Indian Head MD topo explicitly labels it as this.  Other sources call it the Richmond-Washington Hwy (along with Richmond-Petersburg Pike and Boydton Plank Rd).

Poking around on ebay post cards I found one for a hotel with a Richmond Hwy address postmarked 1951.

Ah, figures. I'll just say the rest of these jurisdictions had not given a concrete name prior to Jeff Davis.

Takumi

I do not know if this will supersede any portions municipalities have opted to designate as Richmond Highway.
Almost certainly not. It'd be no different than if a municipality named it something else over Jefferson Davis Highway.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

MillTheRoadgeek

Quote from: Takumi on March 05, 2021, 01:08:43 PM
Almost certainly not. It'd be no different than if a municipality named it something else over Jefferson Davis Highway.
Well then. I'll just assume it'll be publicly signed wherever a new individual name for Jefferson Davis has not been announced (such as in Chesterfield).

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: MillTheRoadgeek on March 05, 2021, 08:31:48 PM
Quote from: Takumi on March 05, 2021, 01:08:43 PM
Well then. I'll just assume it'll be publicly signed wherever a new individual name for Jefferson Davis has not been announced (such as in Chesterfield).

It's also possible Chesterfield County could do nothing, or just remove all the signs without replacing them. Currently all of US 1 is legislatively named Jefferson Davis Highway, but some counties don't post that name at all, mainly the ones in the southside that don't name any primary routes. Mecklenburg County signs it as "Highway One." US 58 is also legislatively named A.L. Philpott Highway in that county, but is signed as simply "Highway Fifty-Eight".

I personally expect Chesterfield County to do nothing and leave the local name as Jefferson Davis Highway. I'm pretty sure most of the county board of supervisors is opposed to renaming, and Chesterfield is likely to remain a holdout for some time.
Will Weaver

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.