News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2017 Solar Eclipse

Started by PColumbus73, August 18, 2017, 08:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Be careful driving your Mitsubishi: we wouldn't want you having a totaled Eclipse
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

02 Park Ave

First contact has occurred.
C-o-H

02 Park Ave

C-o-H

D-Dey65

For anyone who has ever had to put up with this franchise.

And FYI, that was my 1492nd Post and it's a little too early for Columbus Day.

JJBers

I wore my dad's welder's helmet....and like I said in the same thread in another board, 60%, and a big cloud.
:-(
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

The Ghostbuster

I wasn't all that interested in the solar eclipse. With all the things that are going on in the world at present, it was a pretty low priority for me. I spent the time at my technical college, completely away from any windows.

jwolfer

We were able to use xray film to see the eclipse. Here in Orlando we had 88% coverage. No afternoon thunderstorms thankfully.. No one went blind

LGMS428

cjk374

It was freakin hot outside at work today...until the eclipse happened. There was a very noticeable  (and welcome) drop in the temperature.

I'll have another one of those tomorrow please....about the same time would be fine.
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

1995hoo

The supervising attorney for my group came back to the office around 45 minutes after the eclipse. She had gone over to Virginia to watch with her husband. She sits near me and the first thing she said was.....

"Was it good for you?"

I lost it laughing, as did several other people who heard it.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Desert Man

I viewed the eclipse...safely (from a homemade eclipse box: hole in cardboard to shine on a piece of paper) as well watched totality from Oregon, Wyoming, Kansas City (my wife's family in Missouri and Northern CA-85% covered), Nashville and So. Carolina on TV and internet stream. Carbondale, IL (under the path of America's next TSE in Apr 8, 2024) and Hopkinsville, KY had the longest duration (2 mins, 30-45 secs). Where I live, the sun was 65-70% covered, a partial eclipse...a good nature show I enjoyed viewing.

Footage of today's nationwide TSE - third solar eclipse in 5 years in the US (annular-May 20, 2012 and partial-Oct 23, 2014).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvq-eU5s_cs
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

oscar

In keeping with my eclipse-avoidance plans, I was driving north on I-5 near Redding CA when what was there a partial eclipse (about 87%) happened. I was focused on the road, and for any drivers that endangered me while distracted by the eclipse. But there was a noticeable dimming of sunlight.

There was a lot of wildfire smoke in the area, and I hope that wasn't an issue for the throngs waiting in the totality path (though there have been some wildfires in the vicinity).

I made it to my overnight stop in Bend OR with no problem with either slow traffic or gas shortages. By mid-afternoon, traffic on southbound US 97 was getting heavier, with backups of a mile or two in the few towns along the way. I heard on one of the satellite radio news channels that most everybody in the prime viewing spot of Madras OR had left there soon after the eclipse. But I guess it took a few hours for them to pack up and work their way down to Bend before I saw any of them on their way to California.

Another guest at my hotel, who had viewed the eclipse in the Madras area, reported about a five-hour drive down to Bend, about 45 miles south of Madras. (Haven't been able to confirm that, not mentioned in the Portland Oregonian's live blog of the eclipse.) That kind of stuff is exactly what I wanted to avoid.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

7/8

I ended up seeing the eclipse at the Grand Ole Opry in Nashville. The total eclipse was visible for about 30 seconds before hiding behind the clouds, but that was enough to amaze me! The total eclipse was definitely worth seeing! Hopefully the weather is good for the 2024 eclipse, which will be passing quite close to my home (assuming I'm still living in southern Ontario in 7 years).

Takumi

It didn't get that dark here. Just to the level of impending thunderstorm or something.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

US71

Quote from: Takumi on August 21, 2017, 10:24:49 PM
It didn't get that dark here. Just to the level of impending thunderstorm or something.

Not quite that dark here. I waited for the eclipse, but had other stuff to do so pretty much missed it.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

sparker

Sat out on the balcony with my polarized glasses and a big shaving mirror and glanced at the sun periodically while reading the morning paper.  Saw what was purported to be our 73% eclipse; when it seemed like light was back to normal (even though it was still about 25-30% covered), I gave up the ghost and went to the office.  Got lucky on this one -- cloud cover started drifting in a little after noon, which would have FU'd the whole thing earlier. 

Desert Man

Similarly, the last 3 partial eclipses observed here were two-thirds of the sun, like this jpg taken in the Palm Springs area (the May 20, 2012 TSE).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_eclipse_of_May_20,_2012#/media/File:Solar_eclipse.jpg

In my expected life span, TSEs will occur in 2044 for Western Canada and 2045 in a similar path like yesterday's (this time for Northern CA).
Get your kicks...on Route 99! Like to turn 66 upside down. The other historic Main street of America.

Bruce

It took me 11 hours to return to Seattle from Salem. Traffic from Salem to Portland was insane.

Here's my totality pictures, taken in Buena Vista, Oregon.

Total solar eclipse from Buena Vista, OR by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Buena Vista Park during totality by SounderBruce, on Flickr

Buena Vista Park after totality by SounderBruce, on Flickr

sparker

Heard traffic reports that stated that, post-eclipse, SB I-5 from Eugene on south was heavily congested, with the worst back-up in Weed, CA, where CA eclipse traffic from US 97 was attempting to merge into the Interstate.  That's the sort of thing that makes me glad I opted for the local -- albeit partial -- route!

doorknob60

Quote from: sparker on August 21, 2017, 02:04:53 AM
A friend's going up to Nampa, ID to see what a centerline (or close) experience is like

Oh lord, I hope if he went up this far he made it into totality. I'd assume/hope that's simply where his hotel is (considering there aren't many hotels inside the totality path in Idaho, compared to in the Treasure Valley). Nampa is like 30 miles or so outside of where totality was. I went to Farewell Bend State Park in Huntington, OR. Took like an hour to drive there from Nampa, leaving from picking up a friend there around 5 AM MDT. Took more like an hour and a half to drive back because of traffic, but still totally worth it. We had an excellent view, right near the river in a nice patch of grass, and 2 minutes 7 seconds of totality. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Many of my coworkers that stayed in Boise (like 99.5% totality or something) say they regret not driving into totality, because they watched the sun get to a tiny sliver, than it anticlimactically stopped getting smaller and just started rotating. Definitely missed out on the best part.

epzik8

Wasn't too impressive here.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

sparker

Quote from: doorknob60 on August 22, 2017, 05:06:17 PM
Quote from: sparker on August 21, 2017, 02:04:53 AM
A friend's going up to Nampa, ID to see what a centerline (or close) experience is like

Oh lord, I hope if he went up this far he made it into totality. I'd assume/hope that's simply where his hotel is (considering there aren't many hotels inside the totality path in Idaho, compared to in the Treasure Valley). Nampa is like 30 miles or so outside of where totality was. I went to Farewell Bend State Park in Huntington, OR. Took like an hour to drive there from Nampa, leaving from picking up a friend there around 5 AM MDT. Took more like an hour and a half to drive back because of traffic, but still totally worth it. We had an excellent view, right near the river in a nice patch of grass, and 2 minutes 7 seconds of totality. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Many of my coworkers that stayed in Boise (like 99.5% totality or something) say they regret not driving into totality, because they watched the sun get to a tiny sliver, than it anticlimactically stopped getting smaller and just started rotating. Definitely missed out on the best part.

The friend has family in the Nampa area; presumably they collectively went north to see totality as per their original plans.  He hasn't returned from his trip as of yet; I'll quiz him when he does later this week. 

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: jwolfer on August 21, 2017, 06:06:25 PM
We were able to use xray film to see the eclipse. Here in Orlando we had 88% coverage. No afternoon thunderstorms thankfully.. No one went blind

Just for the record, immediate blindness is not the only possible damage that looking at the sun can cause. Most people with sun-damaged retinas only find out later on.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

jwolfer

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on August 23, 2017, 03:53:40 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on August 21, 2017, 06:06:25 PM

Just for the record, immediate blindness is not the only possible damage that looking at the sun can cause. Most people with sun-damaged retinas only find out later on.
I know.  Like everything else on the news... Lots if hype.

LGMS428

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.