News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Rent Housing

Started by TheArkansasRoadgeek, October 03, 2017, 01:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Ok, I know this isn't a Real E-State forum, but I like the platform for the diverse age groups and experiences you all share new and old. I am searching for a rent house in the Fort Smith area, and I would like to know what baseline rent can be for a state like Arkansas. I have thrown around numbers of $200 to possbly $450. I am just shopping to shop at this point. I would like to move out before my 20's  ;-)

I will fill you all in as replies come, I am ignorent to the market, especially rent. I am aimming for a 1 bath 1 bed (for the smartasses out there: clearly I would hope the house has room for a kitchen, laundry, and storage space  :bigass:) If anyone would like to throw some statistics up for average square feet for one person and the occassional guest that would help in my narrowing of my efforts.

Thanks!
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

jeffandnicole

Just look up www.realtor.com and search for housing rentals.

$200 up my way would get you a cardboard box.

$450 up my way would get you a larger cardboard box.

Arkansas is much different, I'm sure!

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: 1 on October 03, 2017, 02:04:01 PM
Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 03, 2017, 01:53:46 PM
I have thrown around numbers of $200 to possbly $450.

Where can I get a house for under $1000? Do I have to move to Arkansas? :spin:
That's life in 'The Naturally Poor State'!

chays

Zillow has rental housing listings as well, you can drill down and set criteria as well.

You probably won't get anything for $200, even Arkansas, unless you have multiple roommates.  $450 is more reasonable but still is probably necessitating a roommate.

I stand corrected...
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Fort-Smith-AR/house,mobile_type/2096195791_zpid/38583_rid/0-200593_price/0-739_mp/35.548988,-94.049836,35.122716,-94.641037_rect/10_zm/

Here is all of Zillow's listings in Ft. Smith for under $739 (not sure why they chose that number).  If you had a roommate or two your possibilities really open up: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Fort-Smith-AR/house,mobile_type/38583_rid/0-200593_price/0-739_mp/35.548988,-94.049836,35.122716,-94.641037_rect/10_zm/

chays

Quote from: 1 on October 03, 2017, 02:36:37 PM
You missed the joke. $200 is less than one week's wage at 40 hours per week.

$7.25 * 40 = $290

You're right, I missed and...and still do miss it.  What does wage have to do with anything?

Truvelo

Wage determines the affordability, especially when buying with a mortgage although it's relevant for renting too.

I have no idea what the rental market is like in the US but over here $200 won't even get you anywhere requiring roommates.

My house is a fairly modest 1800 ft² by American standards and similar properties in the area are renting for $900 a month.

OK, so it's pointless comparing prices this side of the Atlantic but the idea remains the same - you need to be realistic when it comes to costs. Ideally you would want to be buying rather than renting. Again, I'm clueless when it comes to overseas but here the monthly costs of a mortgage is less than renting.
Speed limits limit life

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: chays on October 03, 2017, 02:29:45 PM
Zillow has rental housing listings as well, you can drill down and set criteria as well.

You probably won't get anything for $200, even Arkansas, unless you have multiple roommates.  $450 is more reasonable but still is probably necessitating a roommate.

I stand corrected...
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Fort-Smith-AR/house,mobile_type/2096195791_zpid/38583_rid/0-200593_price/0-739_mp/35.548988,-94.049836,35.122716,-94.641037_rect/10_zm/

Here is all of Zillow's listings in Ft. Smith for under $739 (not sure why they chose that number).  If you had a roommate or two your possibilities really open up: https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_rent/Fort-Smith-AR/house,mobile_type/38583_rid/0-200593_price/0-739_mp/35.548988,-94.049836,35.122716,-94.641037_rect/10_zm/
I found a house on North J (or around there) for 250 (granted it is a shotgun house, having the characteristics of being run down.) I have been using Zillow and the other one suggested.

As far as room'ies are concerned, I don't know of anyone, as of now. I wouldn't mind doing that, but I thing for what I am trying to go for a fairly inexpensive rent would be best or maybe not. I have seen others at $500 (and higher).

hotdogPi

Ignore everything I just said. I thought you were buying, not renting.
Clinched, minus I-93 (I'm missing a few miles and my file is incorrect)

Traveled, plus US 13, 44, and 50, and several state routes

I will be in Burlington VT for the eclipse.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: 1 on October 03, 2017, 03:35:50 PM
Ignore everything I just said. I thought you were buying, not renting.
:-D Yes! Because I am Mr. Moneybags!  :-P :spin:

Scott5114

Assuming that the rental market is not that different between Oklahoma and Arkansas–around here $500 can get you a roach-motel two-bedroom duplex, or a somewhat nicer two-bedroom apartment.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 04, 2017, 05:51:52 AM
Assuming that the rental market is not that different between Oklahoma and Arkansas–around here $500 can get you a roach-motel two-bedroom duplex, or a somewhat nicer two-bedroom apartment.
Looking on Zillow, it seems that way. I am still formulating a plan of attack. Like I stated initially, I am shopping to shop. I may wait a little, but I would like to have this experience behind me. Get out there and brave the world, but not wald in like I own the place! I'd most certainly get knocked flat on my ass! :bigass: :-D

realjd

Good luck getting an apartmentment complex to rent to a 17/18 year old that isn't a crack den. I'm guessing you have no credit history. You're going to have a tough time with the bad credit check without someone co-signing the lease. At least around here you would.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: realjd on October 05, 2017, 11:03:32 PM
Good luck getting an apartmentment complex to rent to a 17/18 year old that isn't a crack den. I'm guessing you have no credit history. You're going to have a tough time with the bad credit check without someone co-signing the lease. At least around here you would.
Damn, so much hate regarding my age. From the school I go to (anyone in the FS area might have heard of it. (the new one)) I have gain loads of knowledge about how to present yourself to people and I do well at that (IMO). We can't say for sure how they'd react to my situation without them meeting me/I meeting them. So, with that said, I am confident I could possibly secure a place to live and strike a deal with them (or if I just had (a) roommate(s)).
I have no credit, but the seller (in this case) is also looking for a wise investment, being the ability to keep the place in order and no damage (if so, resort to the security deposit).

Scott5114

Good luck getting an apartmentment complex to rent to a 17/18 year old that isn't a crack den.

I had no real problems getting my first apartment at age 19 working a minimum wage job. I can't remember if I needed my mom to cosign or not. It wasn't the best apartment complex but I never saw anything there that made me feel unsafe. After a year there I was able to get a nicer apartment across town. By then I had a better job and one year of tenancy history so they had no problem renting to me, despite still having a 0 credit score. I don't think credit score matters much to landlords around here–just your rent-to-income ratio (you don't want to rent a $1,000/month property to someone making $7.25 an hour) and your tenancy history (have you rented a lot of places before? did you keep the place in order?).

cl94

It also really depends on if you're in college or not. Places are sometimes more lenient with college/grad students if they have financial aid (which technically isn't income). That's part of how I was able to get approved for my place.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

Scott5114

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 05, 2017, 11:18:21 PM
Damn, so much hate regarding my age. From the school I go to (anyone in the FS area might have heard of it. (the new one)) I have gain loads of knowledge about how to present yourself to people and I do well at that (IMO).

It is not so much hate as it is the way things are. I doubt anyone wants you to fail to get an apartment. However, in the 21st century, so many business decisions are done by Microsoft Excel spreadsheets. Your financial details are put into a formula and what it spits out is what determines the yes or no. The formula most likely does not include inputs for what school you went to or whether you're wearing a tie or not. Guaranteed that none of that will make one iota of difference once you get into the big-league financial transactions like loans. We closed on a mortgage in April and at no point were we even in the same county as the loan officers. I've never stepped foot in the bank that owns my mortgage. Everything was done off the numbers on the paperwork we emailed to them.

Even employment is going this way. A computer program analyzes all of the resumes submitted to it and kicks out the "good ones" to send to a human to review. Once you get an interview, presenting yourself becomes important. But you can't get that far unless you please the computer first, and it doesn't care what you're wearing.

This can be a good thing. If you can figure out what is being used as inputs you can set yourself up to get a favorable result from the computer by improving the metrics that are input into the computer. You don't have to worry as much anymore about human biases like whether you have the bad luck look to like the decision-maker's ex or having a bad hair day or even, in the worst case, things like redlining. The computer is not programmed to take those into account so over all it is a fairer process.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: cl94 on October 06, 2017, 01:42:31 PM
It also really depends on if you're in college or not. Places are sometimes more lenient with college/grad students if they have financial aid (which technically isn't income). That's part of how I was able to get approved for my place.
I may or may not go to college...

jwolfer

Renting from a private owner you may not have to worry about credit. Look for for rent signs... But there are some downright nutty owners, they make unreasonable demands, they don't fix things, don't respect privacy, get upset if you come home late, leave early for work etc. Especially when the owner lives nearby

Do you have an friend or relative who would let you be a roommate? Possible option

Z981

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2017, 10:35:58 PM
Renting from a private owner you may not have to worry about credit. Look for for rent signs... But there are some downright nutty owners, they make unreasonable demands, they don't fix things, don't respect privacy, get upset if you come home late, leave early for work etc. Especially when the owner lives nearby

Do you have an friend or relative who would let you be a roommate? Possible option

Z981
None that live within a biking distance. But, my dad has offered to allow me to stick around longer, not that he wants me out. I just want to experience this, that way I have it behind me sooner rather than later. I really don't want to be 25 living with my dad....

jwolfer

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on October 08, 2017, 01:27:03 AM
Quote from: jwolfer on October 07, 2017, 10:35:58 PM

Z981
None that live within a biking distance. But, my dad has offered to allow me to stick around longer, not that he wants me out. I just want to experience this, that way I have it behind me sooner rather than later. I really don't want to be 25 living with my dad....
Stay with your parents as long as you can. Provided they are not unreasonable or not super strict. They need to remember you are not 12 any more. Save some money.

Renting an apartment would require first and last months rent. Utility deposits. Paying monthly bills, and if you have a car those expenses etc. It adds up!  Yeah you don't have parents controlling you, but you can't afford to do anything.

My friend is 36 he moved out the day he turned 18. He is gay and parents are very strict religious, sent him to 'straight camp' even. Moving out set him up to struggle financially for years. In retrospect he wishes he just  followed the rules another year and  gone to college. Circumstances made is so he had to move back in with his dad last year. His dad treats him like a 17 year old... Not a grown man sometimes. 

Z981

Brandon

Ever been to a college town?  They're not crack dens, but they're more on par with Delta House.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.