News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Pittsburgh to Milwaukee - Thoughts Appreciated

Started by Hoss6884, June 17, 2014, 11:50:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoss6884

I'm planning a trip between Pittsburgh and Milwaukee in early July and would love some input concerning the Chicago/Milwaukee area.  The timing of when I leave will unfortunately put me in the area around the evening rush hour, so I'm going to have be creative.

My tentative plans are to come in on I-80/I-90 starting in South Bend after looping up to Cleveland and then taking US 20 west (http://goo.gl/80rG4a).  Anywhere in particular I should avoid trying to get up to Milwaukee?  Is there a good route around Chicago?  I have very little clinched miles in the area, so any route will help in that regard.  On the way back to Pittsburgh, I'm going to take US 30 east across to Mansfield, OH and then I-71 and I-76 from there (http://goo.gl/RW8YND), but I'll run into the same problem as above by needing to leave Milwaukee/Chicago near the tail end of the morning rush hour.

Any thoughts here would be very much appreciated!

jwags

When you get into Chicago area follow I-80/94 to I-294 which will bypass downtown Chicago.  I-294 will still be somewhat busy but unless there is an accident you should be alright.  When you get into WI there is construction on I-94/US 41 until you reach the Milwaukee Airport. 

oscar

One option to play with, in one direction or the other, is the Lake Express auto ferry, which would allow you to completely bypass Chicago while snagging some Michigan Interstates.

I took it because I'm an auto ferry geek. Otherwise it's probably excessive to take it just to avoid Chicago traffic, unless your trip starts or ends in Michigan, since it probably won't save you much if any time. But if your outbound trip leaves you really disgusted with Chicago traffic, think about the ferry for the return.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Brandon

Quote from: jwags on June 17, 2014, 07:36:56 PM
When you get into Chicago area follow I-80/94 to I-294 which will bypass downtown Chicago.  I-294 will still be somewhat busy but unless there is an accident you should be alright.  When you get into WI there is construction on I-94/US 41 until you reach the Milwaukee Airport. 

Most agreed.  The Tri-State Tollway (I-294) is the best way around the city between those two points.  As long as you have an EZ-Pass (aka I-Pass in Illinois), you should be fine on the tollway system.  The entire system now has open road tolling, and you can go at the speed of traffic through the toll plazas.  The entire Tri-State is also eight lanes (or more) from Indiana to Wisconsin.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg

Avalanchez71

Quote from: oscar on June 17, 2014, 07:53:36 PM
One option to play with, in one direction or the other, is the Lake Express auto ferry, which would allow you to completely bypass Chicago while snagging some Michigan Interstates.

I took it because I'm an auto ferry geek. Otherwise it's probably excessive to take it just to avoid Chicago traffic, unless your trip starts or ends in Michigan, since it probably won't save you much if any time. But if your outbound trip leaves you really disgusted with Chicago traffic, think about the ferry for the return.
How much is the ferry?

oscar

Quote from: Avalanchez71 on June 20, 2014, 11:05:05 AM
Quote from: oscar on June 17, 2014, 07:53:36 PM

How much is the ferry?
There's a link to the ferry's website above.  It's not cheap, thus my restrained enthusiasm for that option.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

JREwing78

Echoing the others, I would stay the hell away from downtown Chicago if you have no reason to be there - stay on the Tri-State Tollway (I-294). Also, if you don't already have an EZ-Pass, get one. The discounts are significant, particularly on the Illinois toll roads (tolls are double for cash users).

If your goal with taking US-20 west to South Bend is merely to avoid tolls on the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road, you'd be better off following US-30 west of Mansfield in terms of travel times and speed. You could opt also for OH-2 to Toledo -> (the newly 4-laned) US-24 to Fort Wayne -> US-30 to Valparaiso. Or OH-2 -> US-6 -> US-24 -> US-30.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.