News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Variable Speed Limits that have been removed back to static limits

Started by fwydriver405, August 28, 2023, 11:42:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fwydriver405

Curious to see if there are any other examples of where variable speed limits were in place at one point, and then reverted back to using static limits some time later.

Starting around 2019, the variable speed limits on I-93 in New Hampshire from the NH/MA border to Exit 7 were being replaced back to static limits as the variable speed limits modules either failed or a project need their eventual removal. They were added as part of the Salem-Manchester widening from 2008-2020. NHDOT told me they were having reliability problems with them, ranging from simply the Daktronic panels failing to having issues in the winter actually lowering the limit to 72 km/h (45 mph) from 89-105 km/h (55-65 mph) due to communication problems between the TMC in Concord and the actual units. NHDOT also told me besides adverse weather conditions... they rarely changed the limit at all even if traffic would have warrented it.

After crossing the NH/MA border via I-93 North: Variable, Static
NH101 West to I-93: Variable, Static
NH101 East to I-93: Variable, Removed
I-93 S / NH101 W southern split: Variable, Static

I'm also curious about the agencies who are still using or considering Variable Speed Limits about how common variable "Minimum" sections are, as well as how often it gets changed based on condition as well.

I know that the Maine Turnpike only uses them for ORT plazas, Québec uses them for some school zones (30 km/h or 18 mph, 50 km/h or 31 mph) and on A-740 in Québec, and British Columbia uses them in some sections of freeway.

1995hoo

I-95/495 (the Capital Beltway) from roughly Van Dorn Street (Exit 173) east towards the Wilson Bridge had variable speed limits for a time during the Wilson Bridge construction project. They were removed in 2010 or 2011, but they weren't particularly successful anyway. Nobody pays any attention to the regular 55-mph speed limit on there, so nobody paid attention to the variable speed limits either. Unlike some others, that particular stretch of variable speed limits was never intended to be permanent; the idea was to try to manage traffic flow in the work zone to reduce congestion. The theory that when the speed limit is reduced from the normal level it should prompt drivers to be more alert to the fact that something is going on up ahead makes sense in principle, but it's probably too subtle for a lot of people around here when the road's normal speed limit is already a lot lower than the prevailing speed of traffic.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Great Lakes Roads

MoDOT used to have variable speed limits along I-270/I-255 in 2008. They were removed around 2011 due to complaints from the general public.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.