News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Cities that abbreviate "Lane" as "La" on street signs instead of "Ln"

Started by KCRoadFan, September 10, 2023, 10:49:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

In my hometown of Kansas City, MO, I have noticed that "Lane" is abbreviated as "La" on most street signs for roads with that suffix, as opposed to the more usual "Ln". (Incidentally, Kansas City, KS, also does the same.)

Throughout the country, what other cities or towns do you know of that have that particular convention? I know that O'Fallon, MO - a western suburb of St. Louis - also does that.

Scott5114

I got dinged five points for abbreviating Lane as La. in 4th grade English–the teacher refused to believe that that's how it's abbreviated in Kansas City.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

epzik8

This happens to be the norm in my county in Maryland, at both the county and municipal levels, to the point where a "Ln" sign raises my eyebrows.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

1995hoo

I'm pretty sure I've seen both over the years on signs in Fairfax County, although lately it seems like the street blade signs tend to use "La" and the overhead signs on the traffic light mast arms tend to use "Ln."

Here's an "La" sign seen in May 2023: https://goo.gl/maps/R9f1zDr58RL381Vi7

Here's an "Ln" sign not too far away from the other one, also seen in May 2023: https://goo.gl/maps/bBpbUZT9ovehpk679 (but then one intersection away to the right, you find "La": https://goo.gl/maps/fGkRMskyJc2EKVuQA )

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 02:40:16 AM
I got dinged five points for abbreviating Lane as La. in 4th grade English–the teacher refused to believe that that's how it's abbreviated in Kansas City.

I'm astonished that any grade-school teacher would deduct points for this sort of thing. None of mine would have. Whatever was the context of using the abbreviation?
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Hunty2022

100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Big John

Pink Jazz

I remember Virgina Beach, VA did so; I am not sure if that is still the case. The few that used "Ln" as far as I know were contractor errors.

I wonder why the MUTCD doesn't have any rules enforcing USPS standard suffixes.

roadman65

New Jersey did on US 1 in Woodbridge at Gill Lane. Instead of Gill Ln. used Gill La like referring to a town in Louisiana instead of a street.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

1995hoo

Quote from: Pink Jazz on September 11, 2023, 10:29:14 AM

I wonder why the MUTCD doesn't have any rules enforcing USPS standard suffixes.

Perhaps part of the reason is that the Postal Service abbreviations are only "recommended." Some of them are rather silly, too, like using "BYU" to mean "Bayou" (an abbreviation that saves essentially no space) and "ISS" for "Islands" (why include the second "S" at all instead of just using "IS" for both singular and plural)?

Some people here might be distressed to learn that the Postal Service defines "BGS" as the recommended abbreviation for "Burgs." (Can't say I've ever heard of a street using "Burg" or "Burgs" as a suffix.)

Scott5114

I'm astonished that any grade-school teacher would deduct points for this sort of thing. None of mine would have. Whatever was the context of using the abbreviation?
[/quote]

It was an assignment where we had to write a letter using the "proper format" (which nobody actually uses), with the return address on it and everything.

1995hoo

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 11:35:33 AM

It was an assignment where we had to write a letter using the "proper format" (which nobody actually uses), with the return address on it and everything.

How bizarre that a teacher would make a fuss about that. I don't agree with your parenthetical, though; I wrote a letter on Friday using the "proper format" except that the letterhead serves for the return address. I haven't sent it yet, but it has four inside addresses due to the number of recipients.

I remember my father felt strongly that you shouldn't abbreviate anything, including street type designators like "Lane," in either the return address or the inside address except for rare things like certain geographic things like DC's quadrant designations and the abbreviation "D.C." (with periods)–he insisted, for example, that a letter to someone at Duke University would have the inside address as "Durham, North Carolina 27705" and not as "Durham, NC 27705."

elsmere241

Metro Nashville used the "La" abbreviation when I lived there several decades ago.  I don't know if they still do.  (The "satellite city" of Berry Hill used "Ln.")

Dough4872

We have a street in the Philadelphia area called Washington Lane. Signs in both Philadelphia and Cheltenham Township abbreviate it as "Washington La"  and "Washington Ln" . So there seems to be no consistency to what abbreviation is used.

NoGoodNamesAvailable

New York City does. You will also find "Av"  instead of "Ave"

Scott5114

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 11, 2023, 05:07:52 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 11:35:33 AM

How bizarre that a teacher would make a fuss about that. I don't agree with your parenthetical, though; I wrote a letter on Friday using the "proper format" except that the letterhead serves for the return address. I haven't sent it yet, but it has four inside addresses due to the number of recipients.

Fair enough, I suppose; I seem to recall you're in a profession that relies a bit more on hard-copy communication than most tend to these days. That being said, whenever I've gotten personal letters addressed to me (which this assignment purported to be teaching how to compose) I don't know that I've ever got one in the "proper format". Business letters are another story, although the only one I have handy (a letter from the bank that services my mortgage) includes all of the same information but it doesn't lay it out in the "proper" way that they taught us.

This was the same school that taught that Fort Knox was in Nebraska, that thunder occurs before lightning, and had a teacher that would send kids to the principal for wearing purple clothing, so being overly picky about the abbreviation of "lane" is probably the least pressing thing wrong with it.

Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 11, 2023, 08:02:46 PM

"Av" for "Ave" is also common in Kansas City KS. As is "Bl" for "Boulevard".

Henry

I've been used to abbreviating Lane as "Ln" to the point that "La" is a foreign object to me. None of the three cities I've lived in (Chicago, Los Angeles, Seattle) have ever used it, and I don't think Denver does either.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

jp the roadgeek

I remember when New Britain, CT abbreviated South as "So" .  My favorite sign was "So High St." . They now use the prevalent "S."

My town actually has all 3: La, Ln, and Lane spelled out.  There is a West Lane in the next town over that once was abbreviated West LA. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

US 89

I don't think I've ever seen La for Lane. If I have, it wasn't common enough to register in my brain, and that's the kind of thing I would probably notice.

I've seen Bl for Boulevard a number of places. Southern California comes to mind, as does Albuquerque to some extent (you might also find the much rarer Bd there).

Utah used to abbreviate North and South as No and So, while East and West were always spelled out no matter what. Now, they're all spelled out unless space constraints are an issue, in which case single letter abbreviations are now used for all four. Salt Lake City and other cities have been using the single-letter abbreviations for far longer than UDOT.

freebrickproductions

Ain't seen "La" or "Lane" either, but, continuing on the Boulevard abbreviations, I know Huntsville abbreviates that as "Blv" rather than "Blvd".
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

Big John

Minnesota uses So and No abbreviations,  so North Saint Paul is abbreviated No St Paul, making me wonder if an atheist did that.

1995hoo

Quote from: Big John on September 12, 2023, 05:14:19 AM
Minnesota uses So and No abbreviations,  so North Saint Paul is abbreviated No St Paul, making me wonder if an atheist did that.

No, it was someone from Hartford.

:bigass:

(For those who don't get it, the Hartford and the St. Paul are two major insurance carriers.)

(edited to respond to Scott5114–it was too much trouble to edit the quotes on my iPad)

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 08:58:07 PM
Fair enough, I suppose; I seem to recall you're in a profession that relies a bit more on hard-copy communication than most tend to these days. That being said, whenever I've gotten personal letters addressed to me (which this assignment purported to be teaching how to compose) I don't know that I've ever got one in the "proper format". Business letters are another story, although the only one I have handy (a letter from the bank that services my mortgage) includes all of the same information but it doesn't lay it out in the "proper" way that they taught us.

The letter I wrote won't actually be mailed in hard copy. It'll be sent electronically as a .PDF. But our rule of thumb is that it still gets set up in the formal manner because we don't control what happens to it after it's sent. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of law firms out there still maintain paper files, printing everything to prong into a folder somewhere.

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Hunty2022 on September 11, 2023, 08:23:52 AM
Diane La near Richmond, VA on US 301:

Of course, in Chesterfield County (same VDOT district), you'll see Ln on those signs (for example, Lucks Lane appears on those signal arm-mounted signs as "Lucks Ln").

The City of Richmond occasionally uses "LE", which is very strange and caught me off guard when I first saw it.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

SkyPesos

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 11, 2023, 08:58:07 PM
Quote from: NoGoodNamesAvailable on September 11, 2023, 08:02:46 PM

"Av" for "Ave" is also common in Kansas City KS. As is "Bl" for "Boulevard".
Chicago and Indianapolis both also use "Av" for Avenue.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.