The I-65/70 North Split Reconstruction

Started by silverback1065, July 26, 2020, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverback1065

looking at the drone footage released today, 70 being open in january looks totally likely. it appears all that is needed is pavement and barrier wall. that shouldn't take too long if the weather is good. 65 still not close, april looks totally likely there too. i'm optimistic  :-D

davewiecking

This past Tuesday's videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fb50p8KXAeM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq26nadrQpw

Hard to tell with the bit of snow cover exactly what's left along the I-70 portion.

silverback1065

things look so close! it looks like a lot of barrier wall and mainline paving is left. with these high temps they should be able to do it. all the old bridges are gone now except i think 2 over college.

silverback1065

latest video is out. i think the January estimate is accurate at this rate for 70 being opened. once 70 is open 65 will really heat up. ohio st ramp isn't even close but perhaps they will open fletcher when 70 opens.

davewiecking

ITB

Looks like the northbound lanes to I-70E are being prepped for opening ... might happen this weekend or early next week. Still some to do on the southbound lanes, as well as on the C/D ramp south of 10th Street.

Here's the latest drone videos (January 10, 2023):

Interestingly, north of the straddle bent bridge, a crew was captured in the video putting down the asphalt base layer. That means an asphalt batching plant was fired up. Since the use of concrete is now basically a year-round operation, a good number of batch plants are not shutting down as they once did. But the same can't be said for asphalt batch facilities, which almost always close up during the cold weather months, at least in the snowy northern regions.

Temperatures in the Indianapolis area are forecast to be average and significantly above average during the next 10 days. Right now we're cutting through the heart of winter. In a little over two weeks, average temps will begin to slowly tick up. March is only 47 days away. If we subtract the next 10 days of average/above average temps, that leaves only 37 days. Unless another significant cold snap hits, it's unlikely the ground will freeze now. Of course, that can always happen, but the window is beginning to narrow, with just a few weeks left to do so.

Since the project is so close to substantial completion, it's possible work will continue through the remaining weeks of winter. And why not? If the weather cooperates, they might be able to wrap things up by the end of March or early April. Moreover, it makes little sense now to shut down the concrete batch plant, plus an asphalt facility was just fired up. Could it be the plan is to work until a weather event makes it all but impossible to continue? We'll see.

silverback1065

by the looks of it I say 70E opens 1st and 70W opens a bit later. there appears to be a lot of stuff to complete to open 70W so just a guess but probably will see 1 direction open then the other a bit later. either way 465 on the south side will be immediately better once 70 is fully open!

cjw2001

Quote from: ITB on January 12, 2023, 06:30:19 PM

Looks like the northbound lanes to I-70E are being prepped for opening ... might happen this weekend or early next week. Still some to do on the southbound lanes, as well as on the C/D ramp south of 10th Street.

Here's the latest drone videos (January 10, 2023):

Interestingly, north of the straddle bent bridge, a crew was captured in the video putting down the asphalt base layer. That means an asphalt batching plant was fired up. Since the use of concrete is now basically a year-round operation, a good number of batch plants are not shutting down as they once did. But the same can't be said for asphalt batch facilities, which almost always close up during the cold weather months, at least in the snowy northern regions.

Temperatures in the Indianapolis area are forecast to be average and significantly above average during the next 10 days. Right now we're cutting through the heart of winter. In a little over two weeks, average temps will begin to slowly tick up. March is only 47 days away. If we subtract the next 10 days of average/above average temps, that leaves only 37 days. Unless another significant cold snap hits, it's unlikely the ground will freeze now. Of course, that can always happen, but the window is beginning to narrow, with just a few weeks left to do so.

Since the project is so close to substantial completion, it's possible work will continue through the remaining weeks of winter. And why not? If the weather cooperates, they might be able to wrap things up by the end of March or early April. Moreover, it makes little sense now to shut down the concrete batch plant, plus an asphalt facility was just fired up. Could it be the plan is to work until a weather event makes it all but impossible to continue? We'll see.
Email blast just received says I 70 eastbound opening this weekend.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
January 13, 2023

MARION COUNTY — The Indiana Department of Transportation will reopen I-70 eastbound through the North Split interchange this weekend. 

Weather permitting, movements are expected to be open by the end of this weekend. During the opening process, there will be multiple short-term lane restrictions as crews move barrels to open the lanes. 

Starting on Friday at 9 p.m., access to Washington Street from I-65 NB will close to allow crews to put down new pavement markings. Motorists will need to continue on I-70 WB until Saturday morning, weather permitting.

With the new movements, motorists will be able to travel on I-70 EB from the west, through the North Split interchange and continue onto I-70 EB to the east. I-70 WB through the North Split will reopen to motorists, weather permitting, by the end of January. 

I-65 NB traffic traveling through Indianapolis will continue using the detour along I-465 until the I-65 movements are completely open in late spring of 2023.

silverback1065

wonderful news! and my guess was right!  :-D I watch all the drone videos they post so it was a pretty good educated guess  :-D

cjw2001

Interstate 69 Fan

Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

tdindy88

Just drove through here and was rather impressed with the layout. This will be looking really good once it is finally completed. I'm still pissed off with how they managed this project but that's all water under the bridge at this point.

Anyway, I did notice that I-70 is now signed completely for Dayton from the South Split onwards. There were a couple of newish looking signs with Columbus OH on them before but they are now gone. With that there's only a mention of Columbus OH on I-65 approaching the North Split. And with the upcoming I-65 Efficiency and Safety project (God I hate that name) then those signs, along with most of the remaining button-copy signs in the city, are all likely to be changed. The conversion to Dayton as a control city for I-70 is now almost complete.

I did have a curious question regarding the southbound portion of highway between the two splits. I don't think it's been mentioned here before but I was looking at aerial imagery and I guess it's always been three lanes heading south and four lanes heading north between the splits. If I recall I-70 went down to one lane past the North Split and only gained a second lane past the Fletcher Avenue on-ramp. I'm guessing the C/D complicates things but I would think that the rebuild could be a good opportunity to make it four lanes southbound with 65 and 70 both having two lanes each to complement the northbound portion. My looking at the aerial shots of this project seem to keep the arrangement as it was before this project began. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this and whether it could be ever addressed. Again, I suspect the C/D ramps are a major reason behind this.

cjw2001

ilpt4u

Google Maps has yet to remap the new new interchange design and then mark EB I-70 as Open

davewiecking

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 15, 2023, 10:26:32 AM

I did have a curious question regarding the southbound portion of highway between the two splits. I don't think it's been mentioned here before but I was looking at aerial imagery and I guess it's always been three lanes heading south and four lanes heading north between the splits. If I recall I-70 went down to one lane past the North Split and only gained a second lane past the Fletcher Avenue on-ramp. I'm guessing the C/D complicates things but I would think that the rebuild could be a good opportunity to make it four lanes southbound with 65 and 70 both having two lanes each to complement the northbound portion. My looking at the aerial shots of this project seem to keep the arrangement as it was before this project began. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew the reason for this and whether it could be ever addressed. Again, I suspect the C/D ramps are a major reason behind this.

I imagine the desire to not rebuild the train bridges (and the Fletcher Ave one) played a part in the decision. As you note, the CD lanes do carry some of the traffic.

ITB

Quote from: davewiecking on January 16, 2023, 09:39:28 AM
Quote from: tdindy88 on January 15, 2023, 10:26:32 AM

I imagine the desire to not rebuild the train bridges (and the Fletcher Ave one) played a part in the decision. As you note, the CD lanes do carry some of the traffic.

I concur. They probably looked at it briefly, and saw $$$ flashing in their eyes, and decided it wasn't worth it.

silverback1065

I think they even mentioned that the C/D lane is a secret 4th lane for thru traffic back when they originally announced this job. 70w will open this weekend if indot's original promise of "late jan" is still on schedule. as that is the last weekend of jan!  :-D

tdindy88

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2023, 08:12:13 AM
I think they even mentioned that the C/D lane is a secret 4th lane for thru traffic back when they originally announced this job. 70w will open this weekend if indot's original promise of "late jan" is still on schedule. as that is the last weekend of jan!  :-D

This coming weekend, January 21-22 is not the last weekend of the month, there will be one more at January 28-29.

silverback1065

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 18, 2023, 05:26:36 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on January 17, 2023, 08:12:13 AM

This coming weekend, January 21-22 is not the last weekend of the month, there will be one more at January 28-29.

darn you're right  :-D

FixThe74Sign

ysuindy

Quote from: FixThe74Sign on January 20, 2023, 01:30:00 PM
70 Westbound opening this weekend

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/i-70-westbound-through-downtown-indianapolis-reopens-this-weekend/

This will be a much welcome opening.  Westbound 70 for the past two weeks has been a mess during most of the morning rush hours. 

Traffic exiting to West Street / MLK has been backed up through the north split most days and nearly to Keystone / Rural a few days. 

This will open up a few more access points to downtown. 

ITB

Quote from: ysuindy on January 20, 2023, 03:42:16 PM

https://fox59.com/indiana-news/i-70-westbound-through-downtown-indianapolis-reopens-this-weekend/

This will be a much welcome opening.  Westbound 70 for the past two weeks has been a mess during most of the morning rush hours. 

Traffic exiting to West Street / MLK has been backed up through the north split most days and nearly to Keystone / Rural a few days. 

Yes, that traffic backup has been nasty. Unfortunately, the opening of I-70 westbound through the split probably won't change all that much. No new exits are being opened. The exit to Michigan Street will be as it was, except traffic will be shifted to its permanent ramp alignment. The only change forthcoming is westbound I-70 traffic will be able to pass through Indy via the split, thus avoiding I-465.

ysuindy

Quote from: ITB on January 21, 2023, 09:25:22 AM
Quote from: ysuindy on January 20, 2023, 03:42:16 PM

Yes, that traffic backup has been nasty. Unfortunately, the opening of I-70 westbound through the split probably won't change all that much. No new exits are being opened. The exit to Michigan Street will be as it was, except traffic will be shifted to its permanent ramp alignment. The only change forthcoming is westbound I-70 traffic will be able to pass through Indy via the split, thus avoiding I-465.

Tough to tell the impact this morning with an accident in the lanes going from 70 to 65.

While no closed exits have opened yet, the opening of 70 westbound does give drivers access to three exits that can access downtown:

East Street is accessible for everyone working at Lilly.  I imagine at least some people have been exiting at Michigan and winding down to Lilly.  Hopefully that takes them off the Michigan ramp.

The Meridian / McCarty and Missouri / West exits are now available for those that work near the south end of the CBD.  I park between Washington and Maryland.  Today I went around to the Missouri exit and came up past the stadiums to access my garage off Maryland.  This was the route I took for more the last 20 years or so pre-Construction.  It was much less hectic than taking 65 to MLK and working down that way.

The opening is a welcome change.

silverback1065

i think this will immediately make 465/74 on the south side better and downtown traffic in general better too. i am assuming the rest of the c/d exits will open in april with 65.

ysuindy

Quote from: silverback1065 on January 23, 2023, 09:15:51 AM
i think this will immediately make 465/74 on the south side better and downtown traffic in general better too. i am assuming the rest of the c/d exits will open in april with 65.

I took a quick glance to my right as I drove westbound this morning and it seems like the C/D between Michigan and Ohio has a lot of work left.  I would anticipate opening with 65 is correct.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.