News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anthony_JK

Quote from: ITB on November 29, 2018, 02:36:33 AM

[...] In Texas, for example, it's hard to envision US 190 not being upgraded to an interstate between Houston and Austin.

US 290. US 190 doesn't go to either Houston or Austin, but would probably be upgraded as part of Future I-14 through Central Texas.

ITB

Quote from: Anthony_JK on December 12, 2018, 08:58:25 PM
Quote from: ITB on November 29, 2018, 02:36:33 AM

[...] In Texas, for example, it's hard to envision US 190 not being upgraded to an interstate between Houston and Austin.

US 290. US 190 doesn't go to either Houston or Austin, but would probably be upgraded as part of Future I-14 through Central Texas.

Oops. That's a typo that does need correcting! Thanks for pointing it out.

GreenLanternCorps

Before Section 6 gets started, have the finishing touches been completed on Section 5 or is there still cosmetic or signage work left to be completed?

thefro

Quote from: GreenLanternCorps on December 14, 2018, 08:35:21 AM
Before Section 6 gets started, have the finishing touches been completed on Section 5 or is there still cosmetic or signage work left to be completed?

https://www.in.gov/indot/projects/i69/files/SR%2046%20ramp%20closures%2012-14-18.pdf

They're putting in light towers this week at one of the interchanges, so yes, there's still some work ongoing.

hoosierguy

Google Maps was finally updated to reflect the completion of Section 5. Now they just need to update their satellite imagery of Bloomington. It is almost three years old.

ilpt4u

Quote from: hoosierguy on December 22, 2018, 06:48:02 PM
Google Maps was finally updated to reflect the completion of Section 5. Now they just need to update their satellite imagery of Bloomington. It is almost three years old.
Except it isn't. Still says one can turn off I-69/IN 37 onto crossroads. I believe these access points have been removed - that whole "Interstate" thing. I'm searching this thread to see which Exit I need to take to access Burma Rd heading Northwest from I-69/IN 37. Google says to turn onto Burma off of I-69, and does not show parallel access roads yet

Anyone following this thread know which exit to use to access Burma Rd off I-69/IN 37? Has to be either Sample Rd or Liberty Church. I am traveling from the South on I-69.

Otherwise, I'll figure it out when I get closer. A few hours away yet. I quickly scanned the thread, but on a quick scan, didn't find my answer. INDOT's Section 5 Maps are missing the area I am interested in, for some reason...

SSR_317

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 22, 2018, 07:08:43 PM
Except it isn't. Still says one can turn off I-69/IN 37 onto crossroads. I believe these access points have been removed - that whole "Interstate" thing. I'm searching this thread to see which Exit I need to take to access Burma Rd heading Northwest from I-69/IN 37. Google says to turn onto Burma off of I-69, and does not show parallel access roads yet

Anyone following this thread know which exit to use to access Burma Rd off I-69/IN 37? Has to be either Sample Rd or Liberty Church. I am traveling from the South on I-69.

Otherwise, I'll figure it out when I get closer. A few hours away yet. I quickly scanned the thread, but on a quick scan, didn't find my answer. INDOT's Section 5 Maps are missing the area I am interested in, for some reason...
Heading north on I-69/SR 37, take the Sample Road exit (#125). At the roundabout, bear left to reach WB Sample, cross over the freeway, then proceed straight at the other roundabout. About two blocks later, WB Sample curves right to become NB Sample. Proceed north, past the intersection with W. Simpson Chapel Road, until the road curves to the east (back toward the Interstate). Upon reaching the freeway (at the removed intersection where Oliver Winery is visible across the way, but is now inaccessible from this side), the street again curves to the north and becomes the western frontage road for the Interstate. At this curve, the name now becomes Burma Road. Continue north on this frontage road until you reach the original southern terminus of Burma Road, next to the removed intersection near where the adjacent freeway bifurcates.

If you miss the Sample Road exit, you can continue north to Liberty Church Road exit (#134), but it is a convoluted path to get back to Burma Road from there. At the ramp terminus, turn left & cross above the Interstate, then proceed west past the SB ramps to the new end of Liberty Church Rd. Turn left again onto the new western frontage road (believed to be named either Godsey Rd or Turkey Track Rd), then immediately take the first right onto Godsey Road (the western frontage road continues south, as Turkey Track Rd, but does not connect to Burma Rd in Monroe County). Follow Godsey to the west, then southwest, until it terminates at Paragon Road. Turn right onto Paragon and follow it west to Salem Road (where Paragon makes a 90° curve to the north). Once on Salem Rd, follow it to its terminus, just across the Morgan - Monroe county line, at Burma Road. Depending on your final destination along Burma, turn left to follow it back toward Bloomington, or turn right to follow it to areas in extreme NW Monroe County.

Safe journeys!

Edited by author to correct an error & to add directions from Exit #134.

SSR_317

Numerous errors still remain along Section 5. There are no remaining at-grade intersections still open, unlike what Google Maps still indicates. The aerial imagery for the northern part (near the Simpson Chapel Road interchange) appears to be fairly recent, but you are correct in the Bloomington images being out of date. Come on Google, stop spying on us and get your act together!

ilpt4u

Quote from: SSR_317 on December 22, 2018, 09:57:53 PM
Quote from: ilpt4u on December 22, 2018, 07:08:43 PM

Heading north on I-69/SR 37, take the Sample Road exit (#125). At the roundabout, bear left to reach WB Sample, cross over the freeway, then proceed straight at the other roundabout. About two blocks later, WB Sample curves right to become NB Sample. Proceed north, past the intersection with W. Simpson Chapel Road, until the road curves to the east (back toward the Interstate). Upon reaching the freeway (at the removed intersection where Oliver Winery is visible across the way, but is now inaccessible from this side), the street again curves to the north and becomes the western frontage road for the Interstate. At this curve, the name now becomes Burma Road. Continue north on this frontage road until you reach the original southern terminus of Burma Road, next to the removed intersection near where the adjacent freeway bifurcates.

If you miss the Sample Road exit, you can continue north to Liberty Church Road exit (#134), but it is a convoluted path to get back to Burma Road from there. At the ramp terminus, turn left & cross above the Interstate, then proceed west past the SB ramps to the new end of Liberty Church Rd. Turn left again onto the new western frontage road (believed to be named either Godsey Rd or Turkey Track Rd), then immediately take the first right onto Godsey Road (the western frontage road continues south, as Turkey Track Rd, but does not connect to Burma Rd in Monroe County). Follow Godsey to the west, then southwest, until it terminates at Paragon Road. Turn right onto Paragon and follow it west to Salem Road (where Paragon makes a 90° curve to the north). Once on Salem Rd, follow it to its terminus, just across the Morgan - Monroe county line, at Burma Road. Depending on your final destination along Burma, turn left to follow it back toward Bloomington, or turn right to follow it to areas in extreme NW Monroe County.

Safe journeys!

Edited by author to correct an error & to add directions from Exit #134.
I didn't read before getting to Sample Road...I used the Frontage Rd on the East side of I-69 north of the Sample Rd Exit, crossed over I-69 on the Crossover Rd/Chambers Pike Overpass, then meandered West and North on Dittemore and Buskirk Rds to get to Burma. It worked out

I couldn't tell, at the Sample Rd Exit, if there was a Frontage Rd on the West side of I-69. From your directions, sounds like there was another Frontage Rd on the west of I-69. I didn't see it from the Crossover Rd/Chambers Pike Overpass, either. But it was also dark and a route I am not familiar with, so I may have missed a thing or two

I do appreciate the detailed directions. Final destination is Gosport and I arrived, safe and sound

Google Maps is certainly NOT done mapping I-69 and the new Frontage Rds and eliminating at grade access to I-69/IN 37

Voice Directions from Google Maps in Bloomington still guide as "North on Route 37"  - no mention of Interstate 69

Another thought from the ride on I-69/IN 37 at night, from I-64 to the Sample Rd Exit, but specifically about Bloomington...Its a nice, new, beautiful, 6 Lane, (relatively) Urban style Freeway/Interstate – but, other than at Interchanges, it is not lit...Does INDOT have plans to install Mast or Pole Lighting for I-69 on the 6 Lane section? It just seemed like that was missing and it should have been there

tdindy88

INDOT doesn't too lighting along the highway too much, only at interchanges. Only in really urban areas may they do lighting along the highways. It seems my personal observation that only if the highway is eight lanes or more will they do lighting along the highway, such as parts of I-465 around Indy, along with I-70 east of the downtown. I don't think this rule is followed everywhere though so it goes back to just being a really urban area.

On top of that, I don't know if Bloomington would want lights everywhere along that highway. That said, it was interesting to see what I presume to be white LED lights along that highway (I went through there last night as well) which seem unusual for Indiana highways. In the end though, we are probably lucky to get what we have on lighting, looking at the other recently widened six-lane sections of interstate in the state this is actually the norm for INDOT.

Also, I do like that they have now updated the pull-through signage at Exit 114 for NB I-69/SR 37. Before the sign said SR 37 North Bloomington and now says I-69/SR 37 North Indianapolis. I am guessing that the only reason the other signs south of Section 5 havn't been changed to reflect Indy as the northbound control city on I-69 is because of the fact that I-69 does not go to Indianapolis (yet) but SR 37 does, so putting Indy on the signs along Section 5 are okay.

On top of all that, I do like seeing the signs for every overpass designating the road name, plus every creek and stream along the highway, as is typically done on Indiana highways. I wish the first four sections had that same treatment, plus the updated control city signs and mileage signs. There's even signs alerting traffic to use various exits to get to certain streets since the street names change a lot in Bloomington.

With the exception of the stupid blue milemarkers that for some stupid reason couldn't just be the usual white on green signs that are used on the half-mile markers, the signage along Section 5 is actually pretty great.

ITB

Here's a few photos that show the lighting at the I-69/SR 48 (3rd Street) interchange in Bloomington. Without high end equipment, it's a challenge to get tack sharp night photos that freeze movement. Moreover, when the ISO is increased, photos often take on a little graininess and may depict a brightness that doesn't reflect the actual environment. Photos were taken November 30, 2018.

Looking south toward Interstate 69 from the 3rd Street overpass in Bloomington, Indiana. This photo tends to reflect the true lighting environment present at the interchange.

Looking east toward 3rd Street in Bloomington, Indiana, from the overpass that carries SR 48/3rd Street over Interstate 69.

Another look south toward I-69 from the 3rd Street/SR 48 overpass. Might be tad brighter than actual conditions.

Still another view looking south toward I-69 from the overpass. There's a little motion blur, but the SR 45/2nd Street overpass is clearly discernible in the background. The blue bridge is a single-track railroad bridge.

I've taken some pre-construction photos in Martinsville. I'll post them soon.

SSR_317

Quote from: ilpt4u on December 23, 2018, 02:06:22 AM
I didn't read before getting to Sample Road...I used the Frontage Rd on the East side of I-69 north of the Sample Rd Exit, crossed over I-69 on the Crossover Rd/Chambers Pike Overpass, then meandered West and North on Dittemore and Buskirk Rds to get to Burma. It worked out

I couldn't tell, at the Sample Rd Exit, if there was a Frontage Rd on the West side of I-69. From your directions, sounds like there was another Frontage Rd on the west of I-69. I didn't see it from the Crossover Rd/Chambers Pike Overpass, either. But it was also dark and a route I am not familiar with, so I may have missed a thing or two

I do appreciate the detailed directions. Final destination is Gosport and I arrived, safe and sound

Google Maps is certainly NOT done mapping I-69 and the new Frontage Rds and eliminating at grade access to I-69/IN 37

Voice Directions from Google Maps in Bloomington still guide as "North on Route 37"  - no mention of Interstate 69

Another thought from the ride on I-69/IN 37 at night, from I-64 to the Sample Rd Exit, but specifically about Bloomington...Its a nice, new, beautiful, 6 Lane, (relatively) Urban style Freeway/Interstate – but, other than at Interchanges, it is not lit...Does INDOT have plans to install Mast or Pole Lighting for I-69 on the 6 Lane section? It just seemed like that was missing and it should have been there
At the Sample Rd interchange itself, there is no western frontage road (WFR) proper to the north, but Sample to the west & north and Simpson Chapel Rd to the north & east) serve as a de facto route to serve that purpose. From the point where Simpson Chapel turns north to become Burma Rd (across from Oliver Winery at the now-removed crossroad), the newly-built extension of Burma is the WFR. You didn't notice it at the Chambers Pike grade separation because both Burma Rd and the mainline of I-69/SR 37 go under the bridge due to the high skew angle of the respective alignments there.

South of Sample, there is a WFR (named Thompson Ridge Rd) that serves properties on that side of the Interstate all the way down the hill to Thompson Furniture, across the freeway from the old Hoosier Energy facility. It briefly swings west of the freeway at and around Griffith Cemetery, but otherwise is visible from the mainline.

As for lighting, I believe that the installation of interchange lighting is one of the few remaining Section 5 punch list tasks that have yet to be finished. I think it was mentioned up-thread, for the SR 45/46 interchange.

ITB

A few more pictures that dovetail to some extent with the night shots above. Same area, same direction, etc. Photos were taken December 26, 2018. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Interstate 69 - Bloomington, Indiana

Looking south toward Interstate 69 from near the I-69/State Road 48 (3rd Street) interchange in Bloomington, Indiana. Visible is the entire stretch of I-69 between the SR 48 interchange and Fullerton Road interchange, about three miles away. Beyond the blue structure–a CSX railroad bridge–is the SR 45(Bloomfield Road) interchange. Signage for the Tapp Road and Fullerton Road interchanges is discernible, but the interchanges are not. In the deep background, the road bends left as it nears the Fullerton Road overpass.

The I-69/State Road 48 (3rd Street) interchange in Bloomington, Indiana; looking south.

Signage near the I-69/SR 48 interchange; looking slightly southeast.

Sign stanchions and framework of the BGS (pictured above) near the I-69/SR 48interchange; looking east.

Looking north toward the southbound lanes of Interstate 69 from near the I-69/State Road 48 interchange.

Another look south toward I-69 from near I-69/SR 48 interchange.

SSR_317

Quote from: ITB on December 27, 2018, 12:24:57 AM

A few more pictures that dovetail to some extent with the night shots above. Same area, same direction, etc. Photos were taken December 26, 2018. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

Interstate 69 - Bloomington, Indiana

Signage near the I-69/SR 48 interchange; looking slightly southeast.

Sign stanchions and framework of the BGS (pictured above) near the I-69/SR 48interchange; looking east.

Great view of the details for a standard Indiana overhead Sign Box Truss Structure (SBTS). I was just reviewing the details of these in the INDOT Standard Drawings the other day. I notice this one does not have lighting for the signs, I would guess because that area is covered by mast & pole lighting and has always been fairly bright (even before I-69 came through).

Thanks, as always, for the excellent photos and captioning!

ITB

Before I put up a few photos of the Martinsville, Indiana, area, a little news. The letting date for the 2nd contract (Contract #33493) of Section 6, Segment 1–that is, the Martinsville segment–has been pushed back four months to October 9, 2019. This shouldn't delay the project, but it will mean heavy construction on the interchanges and mainline will begin in the spring of 2020, instead of late autumn 2019.

If interested in following the contract lettings for Section 6, check out INDOT's 18 month letting schedule (link below). To look up I-69 contract lettings, select PR 69 from under the Select Roads column and then click the Continue button. (PR 69 is found just prior to the SR listings.)

https://entapps.indot.in.gov/lettings/default.aspx?view=contractor

As for the first contract to be let in December for the Martinsville segment, it's still listed on INDOT's letting results page as "pending." Walsh Construction is the apparent low bidder, but the contract has yet to be awarded due to more time being needed by both the Contract Administration Division and the INDOT Economic Opportunity Division, which is conducting a "good faith efforts" review. As the bids for this contract (Contract #40848) were very competitive, it appears INDOT is making sure all the "i"s and "t"s are crossed before awarding the contract, which may happen relatively soon considering it's been nearly a month since the letting.

In addition to first Martinsville segment contact let December 12, 2018, two contacts for the demolition and removal of structures along SR 37–from Indian Creek to 1 mile north of SR 44–were let as well. Renascent, Inc. of Indianapolis was awarded both contacts.

To get everyone up to speed, here again is the INDOT schematic map that covers most of the Martinsville segment:

Let's start with a few pictures that depict structures that are to be demolished in Martinsville in preparation to the upgrading of SR 37 to I-69. Photos were taken November 3, 2018.

Martinsville, Indiana

Looking east along South Street in Martinsville, Indiana, toward State Road 37 (background). In this vicinity, South Street will be extended to an overpass that will stretch over SR 37 (future I-69) and connect into Grand Valley Blvd. Already tagged for demolition is the small apartment building (right). The three houses on the left also will taken down, but were not yet tagged probably due to, at the time, the continuing process of acquisition. Please bear in mind these photos were taken two months ago. On the schematic map above, four red dots depict the planned "relocations" of these structures on South Street (just west of SR 37).

Another vantage point of South Street and the structures that are to be removed; looking east.

Near the SR 37 / Ohio Street intersection in Martinsville, a house awaits demolition; looking southeast. State Road 37 is directly behind the house and is located where the car (right) is visible.

Close-up of the above house slated for demolition near the SR 37 / Ohio Street intersection.

Edit: Added date photos were taken; minor modification for readability.

Rick Powell

It is typical not to award a construction contract until a month or so after the opening of bids. Usually a lot of state and federal paperwork to fill out, among other things like checking for bid irregularity, DBE certification, etc. In Illinois, they give the state 45 days to award the contract, and it sometimes goes over. Technically, the low bidder is allowed to withdraw their bid if the 45 days lapses, but very few contractors would leave work on the table and withdrawals are extremely rare.

compdude787

Wow, I'm surprised that it's only going to be two lanes through Martinsville, whereas it was three lanes through Bloomington. Seems a bit strange to me.

Life in Paradise

Quote from: compdude787 on January 07, 2019, 12:41:57 AM
Wow, I'm surprised that it's only going to be two lanes through Martinsville, whereas it was three lanes through Bloomington. Seems a bit strange to me.
Martinsville is much smaller than Bloomington, and with the new access roads being constructed, I could see a lot of that local commercial traffic using those roads more.

tdindy88

If they were smart...which I'm not sure about....they should at least build the roadway and bridges so that it could support six lanes in the future. Even if the traffic levels are fine for the moment.

thefro

Quote from: tdindy88 on January 07, 2019, 12:38:57 PM
If they were smart...which I'm not sure about....they should at least build the roadway and bridges so that it could support six lanes in the future. Even if the traffic levels are fine for the moment.

Not sure what their plans for the bridges are, but the existing roadway would support two more lanes where the median is if a median barrier was added.

It looks the same to me as the stretch through Bloomington before I-69 was built.

Anyway, when I've driven through there, the stoplights seemed to be the cause of any traffic backups.  Bloomington already had pretty substantial traffic between 17th street and 2nd street, so making that 6 lanes made sense.

Also this article says that tree planting work on Section 5 will resume in the Spring
https://indianapublicmedia.org/news/work-on-i-69-extension-beginning-this-year.php
QuoteWork is expected to shift northward this year on the decade-long project to extend Interstate 69 through southwestern Indiana.

The new focus follows state officials opening the 21-mile Bloomington-to-Martinsville segment to full highway speeds in November. Work in that section such as planting trees will resume in the spring

ITB

The bid results for the first construction contract letting of Section 6, Segment 1–the Martinsville segment–are now official. Milestone Contractors LP of Indianapolis has been awarded the contract (R -40848-A) as Walsh Construction's slightly lower bid was deemed "irregular." According to INDOT, Walsh failed to submit a valid performance bond and the bid was rejected pursuant to 105 IAC 11-3-16(A)(1).

Wow. I guess things like this happen, but it's surprising as Walsh Construction is a very experienced contractor. To have a screw up like this occur is bound to cause deep unhappiness within the executive ranks at Walsh.

The official results for Contract R-40848-A are found on Page 20 of INDOT's Official Bid Tabulations (December 12, 2018), which can be accessed via the following link:

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/archive/2018/dec12/20181212_Official.pdf

Edit: grammar, readability

abqtraveler

Quote from: ITB on January 08, 2019, 04:20:02 PM
The bid results for the first construction contract letting of Section 6, Segment 1–the Martinsville segment–are now official. Milestone Contractors LP of Indianapolis has been awarded the contract (R -40848-A) as Walsh Construction's slightly lower bid was deemed "irregular." According to INDOT, Walsh failed to submit a valid performance bond and the bid was rejected pursuant to 105 IAC 11-3-16(A)(1).

Wow. I guess things like this happen, but it's surprising as Walsh Construction is a very experienced contractor. To have a screw up like this occur is bound to cause deep unhappiness within the executive ranks at Walsh.

The official results for Contract R-40848-A are found on Page 20 of INDOT's Official Bid Tabulations (December 12, 2018), which can be accessed via the following link:

https://www.in.gov/dot/div/contracts/letting/archive/2018/dec12/20181212_Official.pdf

Someone in the Bid and Proposals office at Walsh is probably going to get fired for not including the performance bond certificate with the bid submittal.
2-d Interstates traveled:  4, 5, 8, 10, 15, 20, 24, 25, 27, 29, 35, 39, 40, 41, 43, 45, 49, 55, 57, 64, 65, 66, 69, 70, 71, 72, 74, 75, 76(E), 77, 78, 81, 83, 84(W), 85, 87(N), 89, 90, 91, 93, 94, 95

2-d Interstates Clinched:  12, 22, 30, 37, 44, 59, 80, 84(E), 86(E), 238, H1, H2, H3, H201

edwaleni

Quote from: abqtraveler on January 08, 2019, 07:47:29 PM
Quote from: ITB on January 08, 2019, 04:20:02 PM

Someone in the Bid and Proposals office at Walsh is probably going to get fired for not including the performance bond certificate with the bid submittal.

it said a "valid" performance bond.  That may mean the bond provided either wasn't large enough, was a bond from a prior project placed in error, or the bond was still in process and not certified.

ITB

A few pre-construction pictures of State Road 37 in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were taken November 3, 2018, unless otherwise noted. To expand the photos, Right Click, etc.

State Road 37, Martinsville, Morgan County, Indiana

Looking south toward State Road 37 from near the SR 37/SR 252 intersection in Martinsville, Indiana. An overpass carrying Grand Valley Blvd. and connecting to South Street in Martinsville proper will be built at the spot where the signal-controlled intersection is in the mid-background (red lights, etc.). Just around the bend in the deep background is the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection, which, in 2021, will become a full interchange.

Another perspective of SR 37 in Martinsville, looking slightly southeast from near the SR 37/SR 252-Hospital Drive intersection. The SR 37/Grand Valley Road intersection, where the overpass is planned, is in the mid-background.

The SR 37/Grand Valley Blvd. intersection; looking north. Construction of the overpass is expected to commence in the spring.

Mid-distance view of State Road 37 and the SR 37/SR 252 (nearest) and SR 37/SR 44 intersections; looking north. As SR 37 is transitioned to Interstate 69, the mainline roadway will be raised in the range of 15 to 20 feet in the vicinity of SR 252, as I-69 will cross over SR 252-Hospital Drive. At SR 44 (deep background), I-69 will go under an overpass that will carry SR 44.

Long range perspective of SR 37, looking north from near the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection. In the deep background are the SR 252 and SR 44 intersections, both of which will be reconstructed as interchanges. Photo was taken November 24, 2018.

AsphaltPlanet

ITB, I've mentioned this before, but you have a real knack for photography.  This I-69 thread is easily one of the best photo threads on this forum.
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.