Update on I-69 Extension in Indiana

Started by mukade, June 25, 2011, 08:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefro

There's just a Taco Bell/KFC on the south side of the Interstate and a Holiday Inn Express.  I'm sure in an ideal world it'd be nice for kids to be able to walk/bike there or people from the Holiday Inn to walk across the Interstate on a bridge to go to Starbucks/McDonald's, but right now there's not even a sidewalk on Burton Lane.  That sort of access isn't nearly the priority in a town like Martinsville versus Bloomington.

I don't think there will be a lot of additional development on the south side of I-69 on Burton Lane with Indian Creek and a big pond there.

tdindy88

If my look at the map is correct then Southview Drive, which would be that frontage road south of the highway will continue east all the way to Mahalasville Road, providing access to the Ohio Street interchange as well as the SR 39 one. At least Taco Bell/KFC and Holiday Inn get to stay, I'm almost certain that the Circle K station and Dairy Queen will have to go.

As for something I read yesterday on this thread, I think Whiteland Road meets SR 37 within a mile or so of the proposed SR 144 interchange and given the general rule about no exits within a mile of each other outside of cities I'm sure a Whiteland Road exit idea is out. Besides Whiteland Road is easily accessible from CR 144 to the east of SR 37. It is one more minute to travel from SR 37/Whiteland Road to CR 144/Whiteland Road via CR 144 than from a proposed exit off of I-69. I'm not sure a multi-million dollar interchange would be worth a minute saved.

ITB

Motored up the Martinsville today for a look-see. No construction or demolition has yet to commence. Then again, I didn't check out every area where construction is planned. Seems like work will get underway in March.

Instead of the photos I had planned to take in Martinsville, if work had commenced, I took a few of Section 5. All of the orange construction barrels have been removed along Section 5. There are a couple of spots where work continues for drainage, slope regrading, fencing, etc. Photos were taken Sunday, February 24, 2019.

Interstate 69 – Morgan County, Indiana

Looking north toward the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana. The frontage, or local access, road on the left is signed Turkey Track Road all the way to its intersection with Liberty Church Road at the interchange.

Closer view of I-69 and the Liberty Church Road interchange; looking north. Thin metal vanes painted green have been installed on the top of segments of concrete barrier wall at various points along Section 5. Anyone know what these vanes are called?

Interstate 69 – Monroe County, Indiana

Looking north toward I-69 from the Sample Road overpass/interchange in Monroe County.

Another perspective from the Sample Road overpass; looking north.

Mid-range view looking north toward I-69 and the Liberty Church Road interchange.

Edit: Removed a photo which was repetitious.

Interstate 69 Fan

Thanks ITB! Really love your photo updates.
Apparently I’m a fan of I-69.  Who knew.

Henry

I'm looking forward to the completed I-69 across the Hoosier State.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

ITB

Looking north toward the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana.

In yesterday's photo post I stated the green vanes on top of the concrete barrier wall were "metal." I'm not so sure that's correct, as I didn't actually touch one. Considering the prevalence of plastics in society today, there's a good chance the vanes are plastic, not metal. Next time I'll check. And, again, does anyone have any idea what the vanes are formally called?

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: ITB on February 24, 2019, 06:36:38 PM

Has the paint started coming up already from the yellow line on the oncoming side?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 25, 2019, 05:42:32 PM
Quote from: ITB on February 24, 2019, 06:36:38 PM

Has the paint started coming up already from the yellow line on the oncoming side?

It's thermoplastic, and it's coming off due to snow plows.  they ruin curbs and pavement markings everywhere.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 25, 2019, 06:06:54 PM
It's thermoplastic, and it's coming off due to snow plows.  they ruin curbs and pavement markings everywhere.

Any idea on how often it's reapplied? Is it an annual thing, or perhaps just as-needed overall?
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

CtrlAltDel

Also, something that I've noticed on the plans for Section 6 is that there are, at least it seems to me, a high number of non-diamond interchanges, in that one of the ramps is a loop ramp. I'm kind of surprised by that, since I've been led to believe that such ramps increase the chances of wrong-way driving.

Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, such as terrain, perhaps, or maybe money?

ITB

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 25, 2019, 07:30:04 PM
Also, something that I've noticed on the plans for Section 6 is that there are, at least it seems to me, a high number of non-diamond interchanges, in that one of the ramps is a loop ramp. I'm kind of surprised by that, since I've been led to believe that such ramps increase the chances of wrong-way driving.

Does anyone know if there's a reason for this, such as terrain, perhaps, or maybe money?

If I had to pinpoint one factor I'd say the already built up environment. Due to concerns raised by authorities in Johnson County and elsewhere about disrupting the existing business and residential environment, INDOT has endeavored to take as few properties as possible. For example, at the intersection of SR 37 and SR/CR 144, where an interchange is planned, the approved design, featuring a loop, avoided the taking of the large BP gas station and convenience store on the intersection's northwest corner. At SR 37 and Southport Road, where a tight diamond interchange is planned, Southport Road was shifted slightly north to avoid the large apartment complex on the intersection's southeast corner. Cost, too, is a factor, as the fewer businesses and residences that need to acquired, the fewer possible lawsuits to contend with as well as lower overall expenditures.

davewiecking

Quote from: ITB on February 25, 2019, 03:10:22 PM

Looking north toward the I-69/Liberty Church Road interchange in Morgan County, Indiana.

In yesterday's photo post I stated the green vanes on top of the concrete barrier wall were "metal." I'm not so sure that's correct, as I didn't actually touch one. Considering the prevalence of plastics in society today, there's a good chance the vanes are plastic, not metal. Next time I'll check. And, again, does anyone have any idea what the vanes are formally called?

In an MTR posting 14 years ago, one Scott M. Kozel called them "glare paddles". Another source calls them "blinders". (Google: "highway barrier headlight blocker".)

Editing to add https://patents.google.com/patent/US5181695

silverback1065

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on February 25, 2019, 07:20:41 PM

Any idea on how often it's reapplied? Is it an annual thing, or perhaps just as-needed overall?

they have a design life, i forget how long that is though.  they have a new method of grooving the pavement so the markings are level with the surface so the plows wont screw them up.  not sure if they used that for this project it's a fairly new pay item.

Rick Powell

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 28, 2019, 12:02:14 PM

they have a design life, i forget how long that is though.  they have a new method of grooving the pavement so the markings are level with the surface so the plows wont screw them up.  not sure if they used that for this project it's a fairly new pay item.

Along with the grooving to imbed the markings in the pavement, there are also more durable markings out there than the traditional thermoplastic, which is notorious for not sticking well to asphalt and especially to concrete.

silverback1065

Quote from: Rick Powell on March 01, 2019, 10:56:42 AM
Quote from: silverback1065 on February 28, 2019, 12:02:14 PM

Along with the grooving to imbed the markings in the pavement, there are also more durable markings out there than the traditional thermoplastic, which is notorious for not sticking well to asphalt and especially to concrete.

Thermo should only be applied to new asphalt and never concrete.  I think concrete has a pay item called "preformed plastic" which is somehow different.  Paint is used on existing surfaces that arent new (they can be on one surfaces but they aren't economical for new surfaces)

ITB

A few pictures of completed I-69 in Monroe County, Indiana. Photos were taken March 17, 2019. To expand the pictures, Right Click, etc.

Interstate 69 – Monroe County, Indiana

Looking south from the Arlington Road overpass in Monroe County toward Interstate 69 and the I-69/SR 45/46 interchange.

Looking north from the Arlington Road overpass in Monroe County toward Interstate 69. Just around the bend in the deep background, the speed limit becomes 70 mph.

Slightly closer look at the signage at the I-69/SR 45/46 interchange; looking south.

Different perspective of the signage and I-69/SR 46 exit ramp; looking south.

Another look toward the I-69/SR 45/46 interchange.

Again, looking north toward I-69 from the Arlington Road overpass.

Wide angle view looking north toward Interstate 69.

Construction is getting underway on Section 6 in Martinsville. Currently, crews are removing vegetation and laying sediment barriers. As yet, no structures have been demolished, but that should happen soon. I've taken a few pictures; I'll post a few soon.

ITB

Here's a few pictures of the scene in Martinsville, Indiana. Photos were taken March 17, 2019.

Equipment is on site, bushes and trees are in the process being removed, environmental sediment barriers have been placed. Work will begin to ramp up in the coming weeks. 

Looking east from South Street in Martinsville proper toward State Road 37 (background) and the commercial area beyond. Grand Valley Blvd., on the other side of SR 37, will be extended to cross over SR 37 and connect with South Street at this location. The house on the left tagged for demolition will soon be gone. The little pedestrian bridge pictured crosses over Sartor Ditch.

Sartor Ditch, looking north from the pedestrian bridge pictured in the above photo. Fiber rolls have been placed to control soil erosion and prevent sediment runoff during construction, which will soon be underway. The building on the right is Martinsville High School.

In the spring of 2008, just 11 years ago, heavy, extensive rains caused Sartor Ditch to overflow its banks, triggering one of the most significant floods in the history of Martinsville and Morgan County. Because of copyright, I can't post this picture, but here's a link:

Martinsville Flood – 2008
https://www.google.com/search?q=martinsville+indiana+flood+2008&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwio0LC96o_hAhUk4YMKHYYZAUQQ_AUIDygC&biw=1425&bih=720#imgrc=DF66U1GQa7aNKM:

The highway depicted in the photo is State Road 37. To get your bearings, you are looking slightly northwest. The northbound lanes of SR 37 are the lowermost of the two roadways. Sartor Ditch runs adjacent to SR 37 on the west side of 37, near the pictured trailer park (top). The location where the first two photos above were taken is out of view, but is nearby the area shown in the top right. Indian Creek, too, overflowed in the flood of 2008, and a lot of the water on the east side of SR 37 (lower 2/3 of photo) is from that origin as well as from Sartor Ditch.

Grubbing work along SR 37 in Martinsville, Indiana

Just south of the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection in Martinsville, trees and bushes and other vegetation are in the process of being removed along the Section 6 right-of-way; looking northeast.

Another perspective looking northeast toward the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection.

More grubbing work along the Section 6 right-of-way about a half mile south of the SR 37/Ohio Street intersection; looking north. SR 37 is in the background.

Another look at the equipment on site near the intersection of SR 37 and Grand Valley Blvd (background); looking east. The extension of Grand Valley Blvd, connecting to South Street, will come right through here.

edwaleni

The causes of the Flood of 2008 were pretty unique. Even the National Weather Service said it was a unique combination of events that caused the 11 inches of rain to fall from Terre Haute and to the southeast to Seymour.

https://www.weather.gov/ind/june072008flood

ITB

Quote from: edwaleni on March 20, 2019, 10:40:42 PM
The causes of the Flood of 2008 were pretty unique. Even the National Weather Service said it was a unique combination of events that caused the 11 inches of rain to fall from Terre Haute and to the southeast to Seymour.

https://www.weather.gov/ind/june072008flood

Indeed, it was a very unusual weather event. Nevertheless, INDOT isn't taking any chances and is designing the interstate upgrade of SR 37 to make sure the roadway is never again severed by a flood.

ITB

Before I post a few pictures of Section 6 construction in Martinsville, I'd like to bring to your attention some meaningful news out of Tennessee. Last month, TDOT opened the I-69 contract bids for Section 5 of SIU 7. This contract involves the construction of 4.87 miles of interstate roadway from west of SR 21 to US 51 near Mayberry Road in Obion County. With the awarding of this contract and subsequent construction, it is now expected the bypass around Union City will be completed by 2022. That will leave only Sections 1 and 2 of SIU 7 to be constructed before Interstate 69 will intersect with I-155. This is important because I-155 intersects with I-55, one of more important and heavily traveled north-south interstate corridors. There's the possibility a considerable amount of traffic might swing off I-55 via I-155 and utilize I-69 to points north, and vice versa when heading south.

For more info on what's going with I-69 in Tennessee, be sure to check out the I-69 in TN topic in the forum:

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3841.350

ITB

As many of you know, construction under the first contract let for Segment 1 of Section 6–aka the Martinsville segment–got underway in March. Three contracts are to be let for Segment 1. To differentiate the contracts, INDOT deemed this first contract the "offroad" contact, as it does not involve work on the mainline.

Let's go to the pics. Photos were taken April 13, 2019, unless otherwise noted.

Construction of New Bridge over Sartor Ditch, Martinsville, Indiana

Looking east from South Street in Martinsville, Indiana, toward construction to build a new bridge over Sartor Ditch.  This is part of the project to extend Grand Valley Blvd. over State Road 37 (future Interstate 69) to connect with South Street in Martinsville proper.

Another perspective of the Sartor Ditch bridge construction; looking northeast.

Closer look at the Sartor Ditch bridge work; looking northeast.

Sartor Ditch and the construction zone near South Street in Martinsville; looking south.

The head of the pile driving rig at the Sartor Ditch construction site.

Crunch! Near the intersection of Ohio Street and State Road 37, a house awaits demolition, as construction of Segment 1 of Section 6 of Indiana's I-69 Corridor Project ramps up.

silverback1065

sartor ditch will be rerouted in the area of where it crosses i-69. 

ITB

Well, I was up in Martinsville, Indiana, again. And I had the camera. So ...  Photos were taken Sunday, May 5, 2019, unless otherwise identified.

South Street/Sartor Ditch work zone – Martinsville, Indiana

Near South Street in Martinsville, work continues on the bridge over Sartor Ditch; looking northeast. In the background is State Road 37, which, as almost all of you know, is being upgraded to Interstate 69.

At the South Street/Sartor Ditch work zone, a Link-Belt crane with pile driving attachment; looking east.

Closer look at the bridge work underway at the South Street/Sartor Ditch work zone; looking east.

X99

Quote from: ITB on May 06, 2019, 01:49:21 AM
Well, I was up in Martinsville, Indiana, again. And I had the camera. So ...  Photos were taken Sunday, May 5, 2019, unless otherwise identified.
Are they letting you near the construction, or are you just zoomed in from further back?
why are there only like 5 people on this forum from south dakota

ITB

Quote from: X99 on May 07, 2019, 09:40:14 PM
Quote from: ITB on May 06, 2019, 01:49:21 AM
Are they letting you near the construction, or are you just zoomed in from further back?

When work is ongoing I do not venture on site or even attempt to do so. Because of safety regulations, the construction crews are hyper-vigilant to any on-site intrusion and deal with it promptly. Trust me, I know. In any photos that depict actual construction work, I'm significantly off-site often using a telephoto lens. On Sundays and on holidays, when no active work is occurring, sometimes I'll mosey around a construction site, but I don't overdo it. I'm careful. I don't touch anything. Two of the three pictures above were taken from a mound of earth a little inside the construction zone. Though it may seem I'm right in the middle of things, that's not really the case.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.