News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Freeway Service Patrol

Started by blawp, June 28, 2012, 01:21:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blawp

Does any place implement the Freeway Service Patrol-type of program better than Los Angeles County? I used to have a 50 mile commute along the Ventura Freeway / Foothill Freeway and I saw these trucks every 5-10 miles, at the ready. It's a great service and I'm glad they are out there helping motorists.

Brandon

IDOT has "Minutemen" along all the expressways in IDOT District 1 (Cook, DuPage, Lake, Kane, McHenry, and Will Counties), and ISTHA has their own H.E.L.P. trucks alogn the entire Tollway System.  Then, Indiana has "Hoosier Helpers" in the Calumet Region and Indianapolis.  I've seen plenty of these trucks around helping people.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

Nope. California is best at everything.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kphoger

I'm famliar with the Motorist Assist trucks here in Kansas, as well as the Ángeles Verdes on the toll roads of México.  I'm not sure how the Motorist Assist trucks are dispatched, but I believe the Ángeles Verdes no longer actively patrol the highways but rather must be called in the case of a breakdown.  Certainly neither one sounds as good as what you mention.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

myosh_tino

I believe the Freeway Service Patrol up here in the S.F. Bay Area are supposed to be on the road actively looking for motorists that need assistance, not parked on the side of the road waiting for a call.  Either way, they provide a pretty valuable service and help minimize delays by getting disabled vehicles off to the shoulder (or off the freeway entirely).
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

qguy

Quote from: blawp on June 28, 2012, 01:21:32 AM
Does any place implement the Freeway Service Patrol-type of program better than Los Angeles County?

PennDOT: http://philadelphia.pahighways.com/philadelphiatmc.html

(with a tip of the hat to one Jeff Kitsko for pulling all that info together in one place)

roadfro

Nevada DOT also has Freeway Service Patrol vans on I-15 & US 95 in Las Vegas and I-80 & US 395 in Reno.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

deathtopumpkins

Both Virginia and Massachusetts do this, and in both places I have seen trucks very frequently (either in transit or assisting a disabled motorist - never stopped otherwise).
Disclaimer: All posts represent my personal opinions and not those of my employer.

Clinched Highways | Counties Visited

on_wisconsin

Wisconsin also has a freeway service patrol service (highway helpers) in the Madison and Milwaukee areas. http://www.dot.wisconsin.gov/travel/stoc/patrols.htm
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

Zmapper

Colorado has a road patrol service along E-470, though I don't know if there is such service along other routes.

cpzilliacus

Quote from: blawp on June 28, 2012, 01:21:32 AM
Does any place implement the Freeway Service Patrol-type of program better than Los Angeles County? I used to have a 50 mile commute along the Ventura Freeway / Foothill Freeway and I saw these trucks every 5-10 miles, at the ready. It's a great service and I'm glad they are out there helping motorists.

Maryland's State Highway Administration and the Maryland Transportation [toll Authority patrol their freeway-class roads and crossings.

I don't know how they match up against the ones in the Southland.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.